KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » Great reads that no one knows about..?

Great reads that no one knows about..?
Started by: Galan007

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (14): « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

i'll go ahead and mention this here because i've never seen anyone else mention it around the forums(so i'm assuming it's not overly popular on kmc), but i started reading rucka's/brubaker's 'gotham central' yesterday and i am legitimately hooked now. for anyone who isn't familiar: 'gotham central' focuses on the men and women of the gotham city police department and the difficulties they face living and working in gotham with batman and his villain gallery. it has very original and well-written subplots coupled with michael lark's fantastic artwork(which suits the tone of the series perfectly.) i can definitely see why it won the eisner and harvey awards. thumb up

suffice to say: this comes highly recommend. tbh, i can't imagine any comic book fan not enjoying it.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Last edited by Galan007 on Jun 13th, 2014 at 02:33 AM

Old Post Jun 13th, 2014 02:29 AM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

will check it out. just recently tried the first couple issues of rise of the magi. NOT so highly recommending it.....has potential, so i'll give it a chance, but right now, not so great.....

have you tried sixth gun, four lazarus or rachel rising? they are my next to-read projects...

Old Post Jun 13th, 2014 02:02 PM
leonidas is currently offline Click here to Send leonidas a Private Message Find more posts by leonidas Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

^ no, although i might give them a go after i'm done with gotham central. i've heard great things.

Old Post Jun 13th, 2014 04:36 PM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

well, after a few issues of lazarus, i can def recommend it. very, very good stuff. thumb up

Old Post Jun 14th, 2014 10:39 PM
leonidas is currently offline Click here to Send leonidas a Private Message Find more posts by leonidas Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

lazarus=outstanding. REALLY enjoyed it.

sixth gun=VERY outstanding. i'ma huge fan of some of the themes and the way the story is told in the series. very addictive imo. highly recommend both series'. i'll be trying raising rachel shortly.

Old Post Jun 25th, 2014 02:53 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

good to know. i'll be checking those out this week, hopefully.

btw, gotham central was fantastic. thumb up

Old Post Jun 26th, 2014 04:04 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

just read a GN called "The Blot", written by tom neely.

unquestionably the strangest book i have ever read by a large margin. that being said, i was strangely...intrigued by it. anyone else read this?

Last edited by Galan007 on Aug 23rd, 2014 at 02:35 AM

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2014 02:32 AM
Senor Cage

quote: (post)
Originally posted by leonidas
lazarus=outstanding. REALLY enjoyed it.

sixth gun=VERY outstanding. i'ma huge fan of some of the themes and the way the story is told in the series. very addictive imo. highly recommend both series'. i'll be trying raising rachel shortly.

Lazarus is great.

Old Post Aug 28th, 2014 10:56 PM
Senor Cage is currently offline Click here to Send Senor Cage a Private Message Find more posts by Senor Cage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Just finished Ex Machina. Vaughn is apparently a writer I'm always going to enjoy, but who will remain outside my absolute favorites. I really enjoyed it, would recommend it to anyone, but it stopped short of transcendent imo. Much the same way I felt about Vaugn's "Y: The Last Man." I know others will have a higher estimation of Y, but it's not a knock on Vaughn...I really enjoyed both.

Old Post Sep 7th, 2014 01:28 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
appletonia
major studmuffin

Originally posted by Digi
Just finished Ex Machina. Vaughn is apparently a writer I'm always going to enjoy, but who will remain outside my absolute favorites. I really enjoyed it, would recommend it to anyone, but it stopped short of transcendent imo. Much the same way I felt about Vaugn's "Y: The Last Man." I know others will have a higher estimation of Y, but it's not a knock on Vaughn...I really enjoyed both.

Exactly the same way I feel about him. Saga for example is something I'm really enjoying at the moment and it has such amazing style and a really gripping storyline, but it just lacks that special something that blows me away that I'll find in say, a Grant Morrison comic.

Old Post Sep 7th, 2014 04:59 PM
appletonia is currently offline Click here to Send appletonia a Private Message Find more posts by appletonia Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by appletonia
Exactly the same way I feel about him. Saga for example is something I'm really enjoying at the moment and it has such amazing style and a really gripping storyline, but it just lacks that special something that blows me away that I'll find in say, a Grant Morrison comic.

I've never taken to Morrison, personally. But I get what you're saying, and I agree. For me, the easiest comparison is to Warren Ellis, who is my favorite comic writer by a comfortable margin.

Old Post Sep 8th, 2014 01:57 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Enzeru

ABSOLUTION

It's about a superhero cop, who gets sick of only being allowed to take psychopaths and monsters into custody and therefore starts killing them. That of course is against the law and the police goes after him.

SENTRY - VOLUME 1

It's about an aged man, who one day wakes up and realizes that he was a superhero once, but something terrible happened and the world forgot about him. He goes into the night to find out more about his past.

SUPERMAN - PEACE ON EARTH

Superman realiszes that in all of his years of crime fighting he left the worst opponent untouched: the world hunger. He makes the effort to battle it.

SUPERMAN - EARTH ONE

A more modern take on Superman, which ultimately makes Superman more relateable.

SILVER SURFER - REQUIEM

Silver Surfer realizes that he is dying and that no one can help him. He goes out to find his true purpose.

Old Post Sep 10th, 2014 10:59 AM
Enzeru is currently offline Click here to Send Enzeru a Private Message Find more posts by Enzeru Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
krisblaze

Kieron Gillen's über is pretty amazing. Only 17 issues out thus far, sadly.

Art's amazing, tons of delicious aryan überwomen.

The writing is also good smile

Thanks Estacado

Old Post Sep 13th, 2014 11:30 AM
krisblaze is currently offline Click here to Send krisblaze a Private Message Find more posts by krisblaze Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

huh, never heard of it. will check out. thumb up

Old Post Sep 13th, 2014 09:43 PM
TheGodKiller02
True Killer

I thought I'd mentioned Pride of Baghdad in this thread.

Anyways, Pride of Baghdad is another great read that not many people on here know about.

Old Post Sep 13th, 2014 10:05 PM
TheGodKiller02 is currently offline Click here to Send TheGodKiller02 a Private Message Find more posts by TheGodKiller02 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

Originally posted by krisblaze
Kieron Gillen's über is pretty amazing. Only 17 issues out thus far, sadly.

Art's amazing, tons of delicious aryan überwomen.

The writing is also good smile

Yea, it's good, but gorey, so be warned.

And even though it's 17 issues, it should be noted it is not a decompressed comic- it follows war reports and key scenes in the war, meaning a good amount of things have happened in that time. The Battle of Paris, the Second Blitz of London, the Allies' own superhuman development programs, and so on.

Also, even though it has nazi superhumans, it's very much not a glorification of them. It's interesting how the additional of superhumans, due to them being added so late, generally just makes things worse for, well, pretty much everyone!

Old Post Sep 14th, 2014 01:10 AM
Q99 is currently offline Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
krisblaze

I'm reading Lazarus and loving it, leo!
Originally posted by Q99
Yea, it's good, but gorey, so be warned.

And even though it's 17 issues, it should be noted it is not a decompressed comic- it follows war reports and key scenes in the war, meaning a good amount of things have happened in that time. The Battle of Paris, the Second Blitz of London, the Allies' own superhuman development programs, and so on.

Also, even though it has nazi superhumans, it's very much not a glorification of them. It's interesting how the additional of superhumans, due to them being added so late, generally just makes things worse for, well, pretty much everyone!

Yeah at first I worried a bit it would be some awkward case of role reversal. 'What if the germans were the 'good' guys or something. Fortunately it's a nuanced portrayal of what could've happened.

Couldn't really imagine anyone in western media create something that paints Germany as anything other than comic-book evil.

And sadly there is no rule 34 of klaudia sad

Thanks Estacado

Old Post Sep 14th, 2014 01:57 AM
krisblaze is currently offline Click here to Send krisblaze a Private Message Find more posts by krisblaze Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
krisblaze

Originally posted by Digi
I've never taken to Morrison, personally. But I get what you're saying, and I agree. For me, the easiest comparison is to Warren Ellis, who is my favorite comic writer by a comfortable margin.

Sorry for double-post, but could you please elaborate a bit on Ex Machina?

I've read 3 issues now and it doesn't really pique my interest.

I enjoy most of Vaughn's stuff actually, but something just rubs me the wrong way. Will it get better?

Thanks Estacado

Old Post Sep 14th, 2014 05:20 AM
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

digi doesn't like morrison. that's enough to tell you what to make of his "opinion".

Old Post Sep 14th, 2014 12:58 PM
Q99

Originally posted by krisblaze
Sorry for double-post, but could you please elaborate a bit on Ex Machina?

I've read 3 issues now and it doesn't really pique my interest.

I enjoy most of Vaughn's stuff actually, but something just rubs me the wrong way. Will it get better?

It's politics done pretty well by a mayor who happens to be the world's only former superhero.

There's also lots of buildup to the secret of where the power came from and such. Some quite interesting, weird stuff.

However, I did find the last volume didn't live up to the buildup.

Old Post Sep 14th, 2014 07:49 PM
Q99 is currently offline Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote