KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Superman » Should Superman Kill?

Should Superman Kill?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Yes! Kill them and torture them!!! 1 5.00%
No! Superman should NEVER, EVER KILL, no matter what! 3 15.00%
Yes, but only as the last resort 16 80.00%
Total: 20 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Should Superman Kill?
Started by: Rao Kal El

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
quanchi112
Disney

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Endless Mike
Actually in the Golden Age he killed people like every issue. He was practically the Punisher with superpowers.
Do you believe that's the essential spirit of what you view as Superman's character ?

Old Post Jun 27th, 2013 08:53 PM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

Old Post Jun 28th, 2013 02:56 PM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Too many people haven't paid attention to Superman since Chris Reeve was around, it seems.

**** sake.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Jun 28th, 2013 02:59 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Originally posted by roughrider
His policy should be just like Captain America's - not the first club out of the bag, show respect for the law and setting an example, but if you're out of options, don't risk the lives of others and do what's necessary.

Interestingly, Cap keeps to this stance even though he's sanctioned in some form by the U.S. Government; they would back him up. And when he's not working with the Avengers he's working with SHIELD agents, who all have licenses to kill. But he doesn't judge them. Just as Superman shouldn't judge or freeze out any friend of his, who uses lethal force to save his life and the lives of others (Cough *Wonder Woman* Cough.) wink

You just reminded me Cap in his own movie was going around shooting people. I don't remember a big outcry over that, unless I completely missed it.

Old Post Jun 28th, 2013 03:25 PM
Darth Thor is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

There was none. Cap was a soldier in WW2. Him not shooting anyone would have been out of place, tbh.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Jun 28th, 2013 03:29 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rao Kal El
DJ FrostByte

Superman or any MAN for that matter should kill and completely justified if it is in order to protect his family and loved ones.

This is what WE DO and I won't hold him on a higher standard than myself as I will do the same if in the same situation.

And kudos to those guys mentioning the golden era and silver age situations in which He killed.

Thank You Prof. T.C McAbe, You are Superman!

Old Post Jun 28th, 2013 04:25 PM
Rao Kal El is currently offline Click here to Send Rao Kal El a Private Message Find more posts by Rao Kal El Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

If Superman does not kill then I will boycott stick out tongue

seriously though Kal had no choice but to kill Zod, not saying he will kill again in Man of Steel 2 or in Justice League but I have to believe that if given similar circumstances he will kill...

also Superman killing is the antithesis of Batman not killing

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Jun 28th, 2013 06:33 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
super pr*xy

zod had it coming, really.. he was blood-lusted and bat-sh!t crazy at that point.. what was kal-el supposed to do? cover his eyes? fly him off to space? bring him to a desert? then what? zod was never gonna stop anyway.. superman's hand was pushed, he did what he had to and it was justified.. JUSTIFIED..

Old Post Jun 28th, 2013 07:34 PM
super pr*xy is currently offline Click here to Send super pr*xy a Private Message Find more posts by super pr*xy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Newjak
I am Beyond Power

Can Superman Kill yeah but I do agree due to the nature of the character it should always be a last choice and high impact moment.

Something I think MoS portrayed quite well myself.

sig by Rao Kal El

Old Post Jun 28th, 2013 07:54 PM
Newjak is currently offline Click here to Send Newjak a Private Message Find more posts by Newjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

Originally posted by Rao Kal El
Superman or any MAN for that matter should kill and completely justified if it is in order to protect his family and loved ones.

This is what WE DO and I won't hold him on a higher standard than myself as I will do the same if in the same situation.

And kudos to those guys mentioning the golden era and silver age situations in which He killed.
Superman shouldn't be placed in this situation IMO.

Old Post Jun 29th, 2013 03:38 AM
Vensai

He shouldn't kill unless he has to and there's no other choice.

Credit to Scythe

Old Post Jun 29th, 2013 05:25 AM
Vensai is currently offline Click here to Send Vensai a Private Message Find more posts by Vensai Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SquallX

Originally posted by quanchi112
Superman shouldn't be placed in this situation IMO.

And that's why he's so bland and a hypocrite most of the times. Most writers takes the safe route with Kal instead of pushing his limits.

Don't get me wrong now, Superman is my all time favorite superhero, but most writers can't write him for shit, and 90% of the time he comes off as an hypocrite.

Best example, Superman killed Doomsday because there was no other way to stop him, trapped Darkseid in the Source Wall because there was no other way, yet he has the balls to question Diana and be mad at her after what Lord did to him and Sacrifice.

Most writers ***** and say Kal shouldn't kill, it's like they never picked an original or Golden Age book Superman.

Superman killing should be a last line of defense after he's exhausted all other possibilities. So no i don't Superman killing would be a bad thing. Now if he goes Punisher on out ass in every book, then there's a problem.

Old Post Jun 29th, 2013 06:32 PM
SquallX is currently offline Click here to Send SquallX a Private Message Find more posts by SquallX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

To be fair, I don't think those situations are necessarily the same thing.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Jun 29th, 2013 06:38 PM
Endless Mike
Sqirrel Girl fanboy

Originally posted by quanchi112
Do you believe that's the essential spirit of what you view as Superman's character ?

No but that's the way he used to be.

Sig by Starlock

Old Post Jun 30th, 2013 03:50 AM
Endless Mike is currently offline Click here to Send Endless Mike a Private Message Find more posts by Endless Mike Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KingD19
Shai-Gen's Enigmatic Wong

It's hilarious how so many people are hung up on Supes killing a megalomaniacal genocidal warlord who was pretty much dedicated to wiping the entire population of Earth from existence from a perceived slight against him.

But are also mad about the death toll, when there wouldn't have been anyone left to even make a death toll if he'd lost.

It was an unwinnable situation, but he made the right choice.

Haters be damned.

Old Post Jun 30th, 2013 08:25 AM
KingD19 is currently offline Click here to Send KingD19 a Private Message Find more posts by KingD19 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

Originally posted by KingD19
It's hilarious how so many people are hung up on Supes killing a megalomaniacal genocidal warlord who was pretty much dedicated to wiping the entire population of Earth from existence from a perceived slight against him.

But are also mad about the death toll, when there wouldn't have been anyone left to even make a death toll if he'd lost.

It was an unwinnable situation, but he made the right choice.

Haters be damned.

second best post in here ..

Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
If Superman does not kill then I will boycott stick out tongue

seriously though Kal had no choice but to kill Zod, not saying he will kill again in Man of Steel 2 or in Justice League but I have to believe that if given similar circumstances he will kill...

also Superman killing is the antithesis of Batman not killing

best post in here.. big grin stick out tongue

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Jun 30th, 2013 07:49 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SMIFF-N-WESSON

Miffed

Originally posted by Zack Fair
I do not agree with death penalty. i think he should not kill.

Having said that I have no problem with him killing if no other option is available to him. I don't like him or Batman being hypocrites who will put people in jail only for them to break free and keep killing and torturing innocent civilians.

Ok let me get this straight:

You don't agree with death penalty...
No problem killing if no other option...
Bats and Sups are hypocrites for having criminals thrown in jail...

so instead of death penalty, well let them sit in jail at tax payers expense forever or let them out to kill again?

Kill if no other option....but you just stated that you were against death penalty (oxymoron).

Bats and Sups are Hypocrits for throwing killers in jail.....well you dont want them dead so what else are you going to do with them Sir? let them run a daycare center? you must be a Republican.

Old Post Jul 3rd, 2013 03:42 AM
SMIFF-N-WESSON is currently offline Click here to Send SMIFF-N-WESSON a Private Message Find more posts by SMIFF-N-WESSON Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Delta1938
True King of House of El

Originally posted by SMIFF-N-WESSON
Ok let me get this straight:

You don't agree with death penalty...
No problem killing if no other option...
Bats and Sups are hypocrites for having criminals thrown in jail...

so instead of death penalty, well let them sit in jail at tax payers expense forever or let them out to kill again?

Kill if no other option....but you just stated that you were against death penalty (oxymoron).

Bats and Sups are Hypocrits for throwing killers in jail.....well you dont want them dead so what else are you going to do with them Sir? let them run a daycare center? you must be a Republican.

I'm going to take a guess that him not agreeing with the death penalty is separate from having to kill in self-defense or the defense of others if you're in that type of situation.

And republicans tend to be for the death penalty. But looking at who posted this, I'm not surprised.

Old Post Jul 20th, 2014 06:58 PM
Delta1938 is currently offline Click here to Send Delta1938 a Private Message Find more posts by Delta1938 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

This thread is (good way/bad way) hilarious.
For all intents Supes is in law enforcement. Would you expect to read a story where a policeman has a moral code code against killing? A believable one anyway?
Supes' powers dont give him an automatic no kill clause. He has to decide whats best in each situation.

Old Post Jul 21st, 2014 11:34 PM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote