KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Versus' Forum » Battlezone » Curryman's Meta-Amalgam Tourney!

Curryman's Meta-Amalgam Tourney!
Started by: curryman

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (90): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
curryman

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Digi
Oh, also, sorry if I'm wrecking anyone's strategy here but...

Be careful of, say, Reed's mind + a technomorph. You might want to add a rule that states that any constructs, magical, technological, or otherwise, need to be at or below High Meta. Otherwise, Ultimate Reed Richards + Warlock (technarchy) and you could theoretically be wandering around the tournament with a cosmic cube, or half a dozen other insta-kills.

I'm glad you're calling it out in case people missed it, but I placed this particular bit in the "strategy limitations"

quote:
1 independent construction; Can not go above high-meta, must be created in-battle.

Originally posted by Bardock42
So....what is this exactly?

I'm not sure how familiar you are with the other setups, but it will basically be something like this. Each participants, over the course of 3 drafts, drafts 3 characters to use for an amalgam.

1 character's body.
1 character's mind.
1 character's powers.

It should be explained in the original introduction post, but there are plenty of veterans here, or you can just PM me. If you have questions about specific picks then you should PM me as to not reveal your strategy big grin

You'd only get a certain number of posts (probably 5, could be as much as 10), and there would be a time limit to the match (1-2 weeks usually). You'd be expected to back up your arguments with relevant scans.

I was thinking a bit over a week pr. match and around 5-6 posts.

Also, curry, give this at least a week or two before finalizing things.

Excellent advice, stating off this weekend might be a bit rushed.

I'll ask if Badabing can remove the bit about starting the draft in 3 days smile

Old Post Jun 26th, 2013 03:00 AM
curryman is currently offline Click here to Send curryman a Private Message Find more posts by curryman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blair Wind
The Iron Avenger

You should just make the drafts be in one thread all at the same time. Having three just extends the amount of time not debating in the tournament.

>010010100100000101010010010101100100100101010011<

Old Post Jun 26th, 2013 03:03 AM
Blair Wind is currently offline Click here to Send Blair Wind a Private Message Find more posts by Blair Wind Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
curryman

Originally posted by Blair Wind
You should just make the drafts be in one thread all at the same time. Having three just extends the amount of time not debating in the tournament.

That might be a good idea. 3 threads does seem a bit excessive.

Old Post Jun 26th, 2013 03:06 AM
curryman is currently offline Click here to Send curryman a Private Message Find more posts by curryman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Well, be careful. I like doing it quickly, but you also might not want to let one person pick 3 people before someone else picks any. It's a strategic nightmare. Or maybe you like that type of chaos...some hosts/judges/participants revel in that kind of craziness.

If you're persistent with PMs to participants, you can do 3 separate rounds fairly quickly. Blair's method isn't terrible, but not all will like it. One thread can handle it either way though...saves forum clutter, I suppose.

Also, all body/mind/powers at the same time? Basically, will the first pick need to be one of the 3 (body, for example)? Or can you pick them in any order?

Last edited by Digi on Jun 26th, 2013 at 03:15 AM

Old Post Jun 26th, 2013 03:10 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

just to throw it out there, I at least had the decency to promote a strategy with a character I'd never let someone draft into the tourney

again we see, inimalist > digimark

EDIT: anyways [SPOILER - highlight to read]: draft magic users from the cross-gen universe, nobody knows who they are and they are fantastic. I got a trans level character into a low herald tourney through that method

Last edited by tsilamini on Jun 26th, 2013 at 03:18 AM

Old Post Jun 26th, 2013 03:15 AM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
curryman

Also, all body/mind/powers at the same time? Basically, will the first pick need to be one of the 3 (body, for example)? Or can you pick them in any order?

I've been wondering about this.

It might be more neat and tidy if we do it 1 category at a time, but I think that part of the strategy is what people prioritize in the draft.

Old Post Jun 26th, 2013 03:28 AM
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

i disagree with digi in one regard--the longer you wait the more time people have to find reasons NOT to compete. i've hosted one of these as well. the reason it worked effectively was because i did very little waiting around, and it people missed the draft night, oh well. you'll never get everyone to be able to commit to one night, so people use proxies to make picks, or they find the time. i already mentioned in my pm that time is ltd for me. we have committed participants, committed judges and a tourney outline (why not just recycle the one that was used--just change a couple things you didn't like in the rules). i say start it up asap and get it going. just make sure you are available to answer questions and deal with issues promptly. i'd suggest having a solid second to give you hand with tough decisions. maybe bran or odg would be good with letting you run issues past them, but both are on infrequently. or maybe jake (since he doesn't seem to want to join in for some reason........) would help you deal with issues. in any event, i would definitely suggest having someone around to help with stuff that comes up.

my vote is for getting started quickly and getting this thing moving along just as quickly.

Old Post Jun 26th, 2013 11:14 AM
leonidas is currently offline Click here to Send leonidas a Private Message Find more posts by leonidas Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

I understand the draft part. I don't understand what happens then.

Are there brackets of matchups and the two drafters debate their choices? Does everyone debate who would win? Is this like a league or play offs (does every draft have a thread against every other draft or are they knocked out if they "lose")? Do arguments go on for days or posts (you answered that in the post I'm replying to)? Do all judges judge every thread?

And (as you can probably tell) I am not at all familiar with the concept at all (at all)...in fact I didn't know KMC had a Battlezone forum (and still don't know what a Battlezone forum is), I just noticed cause inimalist sent me the link to the writing tournament no expression

Last edited by Bardock42 on Jun 26th, 2013 at 01:44 PM

Old Post Jun 26th, 2013 01:40 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
curryman

Originally posted by Bardock42
I understand the draft part. I don't understand what happens then.

Are there brackets of matchups and the two drafters debate their choices? Does everyone debate who would win? Is this like a league or play offs (does every draft have a thread against every other draft or are they knocked out if they "lose")? Do arguments go on for days or posts (you answered that in the post I'm replying to)? Do all judges judge every thread?

And (as you can probably tell) I am not at all familiar with the concept at all (at all)...in fact I didn't know KMC had a Battlezone forum (and still don't know what a Battlezone forum is), I just noticed cause inimalist sent me the link to the writing tournament no expression

I'll give you a quick writeup in PM, explaining the specifics.

Old Post Jun 26th, 2013 01:51 PM
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by Oliver North
just to throw it out there, I at least had the decency to promote a strategy with a character I'd never let someone draft into the tourney

again we see, inimalist > digimark

EDIT: anyways [SPOILER - highlight to read]: draft magic users from the cross-gen universe, nobody knows who they are and they are fantastic. I got a trans level character into a low herald tourney through that method

Lol.

Double-edged sword though. This has happened before, but in nearly every case they lost with a vastly more powerful team because nobody had context for the feats or knew the character well. Obscurity has its pros/cons, and they tend to equal out in many cases. Harder to plan for, harder to create trust in judges about the characters.

Last edited by Digi on Jun 26th, 2013 at 02:06 PM

Old Post Jun 26th, 2013 02:04 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

Lol.

Double-edged sword though. This has happened before, but in nearly every case they lost with a vastly more powerful team because nobody had context for the feats or knew the character well. Obscurity has its pros/cons, and they tend to equal out in many cases. Harder to plan for, harder to create trust in judges about the characters.

stick out tongue

oh, I know first hand

Actually, the whole thing is tongue in cheek, I'm just talking shit mostly and trying not to give anything to major away or spoil anyone's plans, same with the Manny example or your Warlock example I suspect smile

That being said, I was 2-0 with Giselle Villard /shrug but ya, spent most of the threads trying to give context to her feats, and I could imagine it being even harder for a less powerful character.

Old Post Jun 26th, 2013 02:13 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Khell had Grail (Wildstorm, Wetworks) in a low meta tourney once upon a time. Kid probably could've soloed the whole tourney. I'm not even sure he made the semis. This was before scans were a thing, so while there were a few thrown around in each match, there was absolutely no context for most of what he did.

I hosted that one, so there's some egg on my face for allowing it. But none of us really knew what was going on back then.

Old Post Jun 26th, 2013 02:23 PM
tsilamini

Khell had Grail (Wildstorm, Wetworks) in a low meta tourney once upon a time. Kid probably could've soloed the whole tourney. I'm not even sure he made the semis. This was before scans were a thing, so while there were a few thrown around in each match, there was absolutely no context for most of what he did.

I hosted that one, so there's some egg on my face for allowing it. But none of us really knew what was going on back then.

woah...

lol, thanks be to scans, huh...

Old Post Jun 26th, 2013 02:34 PM
Newjak
I am Beyond Power

I remember that tourney.

I feel like that tourney was what started scan use and it really took off in the next one.

sig by Rao Kal El

Old Post Jun 26th, 2013 03:16 PM
Newjak is currently offline Click here to Send Newjak a Private Message Find more posts by Newjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
"Id"
The Man of Tomorrow

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Jun 26th, 2013 05:24 PM
"Id" is currently offline Click here to Send "Id" a Private Message Find more posts by "Id" Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Charlotte DeBel
White Queen of KMC

I'm in but as for drafting in time, I'm afraid it will be during my business hours. Anyways, I've got one odd idea and I'd like to try it (not so odd, through, tourney veterans might guess at least "Mind" and "Powers" parts).

Beware Blonde Badasses Emma Frost K' Dante

RIP Fluffy

Old Post Jun 26th, 2013 06:34 PM
Charlotte DeBel is currently offline Click here to Send Charlotte DeBel a Private Message Find more posts by Charlotte DeBel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
"Id"
The Man of Tomorrow

You guys no better than to bring me into this. Put my name down.

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Jun 26th, 2013 06:43 PM
"Id" is currently offline Click here to Send "Id" a Private Message Find more posts by "Id" Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Badabing
Karen

Do we have an updated list of the tournament participants?

You've just been Trump'd!

Official pimp of Steverules

Sig by Steve Rules

Old Post Jun 27th, 2013 01:11 AM
Badabing is currently offline Click here to Send Badabing a Private Message Find more posts by Badabing Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
curryman

Originally posted by Badabing
Do we have an updated list of the tournament participants?

Confirmed participants;

Abhilegend
Leonidas
Damborgson
Psycho Gundam
Sin I Am
Charlotte Debel
ID

Unconfirmed

Srankmissingnin (Not sure about the meta tier)
Zopzop (Showed interest)
Bardock (Showed interst)
Endless Mike (Said he'd check it out)
Emi-ko (showed interest)

I think that is it.

Old Post Jun 27th, 2013 01:18 AM
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by Charlotte DeBel
I'm in but as for drafting in time, I'm afraid it will be during my business hours. Anyways, I've got one odd idea and I'd like to try it (not so odd, through, tourney veterans might guess at least "Mind" and "Powers" parts).

Emma? Miss Martian? Am I close?

wink

Old Post Jun 27th, 2013 02:39 AM