KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Star Wars Versus Forum » Sith Emperor vs Abeloth

Sith Emperor vs Abeloth
Started by: pencilcrayon

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (8): « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
pencilcrayon

"The cartilage began to give. He pushed back with the Force, reinforcing his
larynx and trying to throw her off.
It was no good. Abeloth had a dozen times the Force strength Luke had..."

That's 12 times stronger in the Force than a Skywalker

Old Post Jul 20th, 2013 01:48 AM
Click here to Send pencilcrayon a Private Message Find more posts by pencilcrayon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zamp
The Blind Critic

Gid, don't be a poop. The context of a galaxy-level threat being established by archaeological evidence (and the Codex, which is maybe OOU?) is much different from the black-hole passage, which calls Kenobi a "sunny meadow" in the next paragraph.

Old Post Jul 20th, 2013 04:45 AM
Click here to Send Zamp a Private Message Find more posts by Zamp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Merchant

Freedon Nadd knows the Force Storm? Anyways Abeloth was contained by the Maw which is dozens of blackholes. This says a lot about Abeloth's durability. Also according to the Father if the Son and Daughter fought they would have destroyed the entire Universe.

"Vader's pulse and breathing were machine-regulated, so they could not quicken; but something in his chest became more electric around his meetings with the Emperor; he could not say how. A feeling of fullness, of power, of dark and demon mastery -- of secret lusts, unrestrained passion, wild submission -- all these things were in Vader's heart as he neared his Emperor. These things and more."

Old Post Jul 20th, 2013 04:49 AM
Click here to Send The Merchant a Private Message Find more posts by The Merchant Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
S_W_LeGenD

quote: (post)
Originally posted by NewGuy01
Abeloth - 12 times more powerful than a Skywalker
V.S
Vitiate - Got beaten by a lone Jedi

HMMMM...

Vitiate was taken down during his most vulnerable point. He still survived because he is immortal.

Not long ago, Vitiate easily overwhelmed a whole Jedi Strike Team (including HoT) in single combat. This encounter took place in a neutral setting and Vitiate wasn't vulnerable during this time.

So?

Point is that Vitiate's greatest talent is his Sith Sorcery skills; Sith Sorcery is a pathway to accomplish the impossible.

Most importantly, Abeloth is not invincible either; her bodies are vulnerable.

Originally posted by ares834
Abeloth is the most powerful dark side master of the mythos.

No proof of this.

Abeloth predates Vitiate, right? Well, a canon book asserts that Vitiate is the most powerful dark side master in history.

She once destroyed an entire city of Sith with a single scream. Do not underestimate her raw power.

Vitiate once absorbed dark side power of (more then) planetary proportions (which vaporized all other life forms in its path and eat the Force itself around the planet). Do not underestimate his raw power either.

Last edited by S_W_LeGenD on Jul 20th, 2013 at 10:40 AM

Old Post Jul 20th, 2013 10:31 AM
Click here to Send S_W_LeGenD a Private Message Find more posts by S_W_LeGenD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DudleyMoo23
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote:
Abeloth predates Vitiate, right? Well, a canon book asserts that Vitiate is the most powerful dark side master in history.

Don't be ridiculous. Abeloth and the Ones aren't part of Jedi/Sith/Light Side/Dark Side comparisons in books because they're considered Gods/Celestials and are therefore superior.

Old Post Jul 20th, 2013 11:08 AM
Click here to Send DudleyMoo23 a Private Message Find more posts by DudleyMoo23 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by pencilcrayon
"The cartilage began to give. He pushed back with the Force, reinforcing his
larynx and trying to throw her off.
It was no good. Abeloth had a dozen times the Force strength Luke had..."

That's 12 times stronger in the Force than a Skywalker

Or a dozen times better at Force strength.

Originally posted by The Merchant
Freedon Nadd knows the Force Storm? Anyways Abeloth was contained by the Maw which is dozens of blackholes. This says a lot about Abeloth's durability. Also according to the Father if the Son and Daughter fought they would have destroyed the entire Universe.

Wasn't there a planet in the Maw too? Was it affected at all by the blackholes?

Last edited by Nephthys on Jul 20th, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Old Post Jul 20th, 2013 11:14 AM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The_Tempest

Originally posted by Zampanó
Gid, don't be a poop.

Do you kiss your mother with that mouth?

The context of a galaxy-level threat being established by archaeological evidence

By archaeological evidence, you mean the vague and unsubstantiated claims from an ancient civilizations that have yet to be corroborated?

(and the Codex, which is maybe OOU?)

The Codex, as established, merely relays the legend. Nowhere does it establish the legend as truth.

is much different from the black-hole passage, which calls Kenobi a "sunny meadow" in the next paragraph.

The only difference is the present of the enduring double standard. Some people are only willing to consider such flowery language from questionable sources as literal reflections of reality when and only when it favors a beloved character from a select era.

Meanwhile, Dooku assesses three characters "through the eyes of the dark side" and his musings are tossed aside with yesterday's trash?

I don't think so. If we discount one such example, we should discount them all. Anything else is inherently dishonest.

Old Post Jul 20th, 2013 11:56 AM
Click here to Send The_Tempest a Private Message Find more posts by The_Tempest Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
S_W_LeGenD

Originally posted by DudleyMoo23
Don't be ridiculous. Abeloth and the Ones aren't part of Jedi/Sith/Light Side/Dark Side comparisons in books because they're considered Gods/Celestials and are therefore superior.

Celestials were basically an ancient race of extremely powerful Force-users.

Jedi and Sith are just philosophies; Force-users can choose to abandon or follow these philosophies.

Vitiate was also godlike avatar of the dark side.

Old Post Jul 20th, 2013 12:11 PM
Click here to Send S_W_LeGenD a Private Message Find more posts by S_W_LeGenD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DudleyMoo23
Restricted

Account Restricted

Yes, Celestials were basically an ancient race of extremely powerful Force-users. Except I wouldn't use the term "race" as much as "entities" because they decided to have some human form for everyone's benefit.

And while Vitiate was a godlike avatar of the dark side, the Celestials WERE Gods.

Old Post Jul 20th, 2013 02:35 PM
Click here to Send DudleyMoo23 a Private Message Find more posts by DudleyMoo23 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zamp
The Blind Critic

Originally posted by The_Tempest

By archaeological evidence, you mean the vague and unsubstantiated claims from an ancient civilizations that have yet to be corroborated?

The Codex, as established, merely relays the legend. Nowhere does it establish the legend as truth.

This is a fundamental difference between the ways we enjoy fiction. I think that it has to do with suspension of disbelief. When watching Indiana Jones, I didn't think "oh man, all those stories about the Ark are going to be proven wrong if there are any Nazi faces left unmelted." Instead, I'm focused on what they say about the Ark: It is established as a potential army-killer. The fact that it kills only a few dozen people on screen does not mean that I am using a "no-limits" fallacy if I say that the Ark would singlehandedly turn the tide of Helm's Deep (for example).

The level of confirmation that you seem to ask for is simply not available in fiction media outside of RPG systems that offer a method of inter-era comparison. "Existential threat from a bygone age" is a common trope in fiction; invoking that trope is enough, for me, to give a ballpark estimate of the severity of the threat. No editor is going to allow page-space for a thorough Archaeological inquiry (Tim Zahn notwithstanding).

Another example: In Fable, Jack of Blades is established as an eldritch abomination from beyond the edge of the world. If his plan goes through, the implication is extinction. So he is a potential world-ender, despite the lack of specifics about his origins and the extent of his abilities.

quote:

The only difference is the present of the enduring double standard. Some people are only willing to consider such flowery language from questionable sources as literal reflections of reality when and only when it favors a beloved character from a select era.

Meanwhile, Dooku assesses three characters "through the eyes of the dark side" and his musings are tossed aside with yesterday's trash?

I don't think so. If we discount one such example, we should discount them all. Anything else is inherently dishonest.

I think I have actually used the black-hole quote, but only within the context of relative attitudes and demeanors. The important facet of this particular quote is the way that the descriptions all reference the characters' intrinsic properties. A basic block of Kenobi's personality is his tranquil Jedi demeanor. It is not all that much of a stretch to interpret that line, and the passage as a whole, as a characterization rather than a power-meter.

Meanwhile, the quotes against which you have fought so consistently (e.g. N.'s Ravager accolade, or this destroyer business) are almost always extreme accounts of physical actions. So while Sidious is described as a black hole of the Force, N. is described as accomplishing some magnificent application of Joules. That is less easily discarded as hyperbole, because it is a specific thing that actually happened.

(And tossing out 2/3 of the available information about non-movie eras just because we don't let you use 1/1000th of Sidious's accolades is mad churlish, broseph.)

Edit: [bait][SPOILER - highlight to read]: Palpatine's unrivaled dominance w/r/t political power is ambiguous in its application to combat in the same way that N.'s telekinetic power isn't.[/bait]

Last edited by Zamp on Jul 20th, 2013 at 02:52 PM

Old Post Jul 20th, 2013 02:43 PM
Click here to Send Zamp a Private Message Find more posts by Zamp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Lol @ Tempest. I guess we should be accepting Revan as the Heart of the Force next. roll eyes (sarcastic)

I mean, considering Kreia is actually blind and can only see through Force Sight, its of an less obvious metaphor than Dooku's inane imaginings.

Old Post Jul 20th, 2013 03:36 PM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zamp
The Blind Critic

Originally posted by Nephthys
Lol @ Tempest. I guess we should be accepting Revan as the Heart of the Force next. roll eyes (sarcastic)

I mean, considering Kreia is actually blind and can only see through Force Sight, its of an less obvious metaphor than Dooku's inane imaginings.

You are not helping. The natural conclusion of this has Gid accepting expert testimony on Force matters. Do you know how much that helps me for the next N. thread?
(SO much.)

Anyway, it is poor form to snipe from the sidelines when one of your targets is on ignore. What if you miss him and shoot me instead? You know I always play safe and I am not taking the risk of you shooting all over the place.

(This is a condom joke. The joke is condoms.)

Old Post Jul 20th, 2013 03:49 PM
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

I'm sorry if I'm messing up some big plan but I don't care what he accepts or not.

His argument is too weak for me to miss. These aren't about 'vague and unsubstantiated claims', these are 'Rakata inscriptions' in the actual tomb. Does he think the Rakata decided to write fan fiction about it on the walls of its prison as they were building it?

Last edited by Nephthys on Jul 20th, 2013 at 04:12 PM

Old Post Jul 20th, 2013 04:04 PM
DudleyMoo23
Restricted

Account Restricted

I'm sorry if I'm messing up some big plan but I don't care what he accepts or not.

His argument is too weak for me to miss. These aren't about 'vague and unsubstantiated claims', these are 'Rakata inscriptions' in the actual tomb. Does he think the Rakata decided to write fan fiction about it on the walls of its prison?

As painful as it is for me (and it is really painful, like taking a huge dump painful), I have to agree with DE here. Because they are Rakata inscriptions, they represent actual history of their civilization. Unless it says something like "legends say" or "it is said", I think it should be taken as fact because as DE says, the rakata aren't known for writing homosexual erotic fiction.

Old Post Jul 20th, 2013 04:11 PM
Zamp
The Blind Critic

Neph, there is no plan. I just wanted to make a condoms joke.
DS, I'm sure we can find a way to loosen you up; pooping shouldn't hurt like that...

Old Post Jul 20th, 2013 04:15 PM
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Thank you DS. This is evidence from the people who fought and imprisoned it. Their words should be accepted as basically being first hand testimonials as to its capabilities.

Old Post Jul 20th, 2013 04:16 PM
ares834

Then the Kiliks' word should be taken as fact as well, yes? After all, they fought Abeloth a few times before.

Old Post Jul 20th, 2013 04:18 PM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

I don't know anything about what they said or when it was said so who knows.

Old Post Jul 20th, 2013 04:20 PM
DudleyMoo23
Restricted

Account Restricted

Then the Kiliks' word should be taken as fact as well, yes? After all, they fought Abeloth a few times before.

Why wouldn't it be taken as fact?

Old Post Jul 20th, 2013 04:21 PM
ares834

I don't know anything about what they said or when it was said so who knows.

That if she were freed she would bring ruin and chaos to the galaxy, and that the galaxy itself could perish. And that she owned the Son and Daughter.

Old Post Jul 20th, 2013 04:23 PM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote