KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » WB to announce Superman/Batman & JLA movies

WB to announce Superman/Batman & JLA movies
Started by: Zack M

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (232): « First ... « 226 227 [228] 229 230 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Darth Thor

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Kazenji
All RT does is reflect the opinions of the masses rather then reasoned ideas.

I'd say the opposite. It reflects the opinions of those few who pride themselves in having "higher taste".

Pirates of the Carribean is a beloved franchise (except for the last one), and critics slam those movies hard. So they really don't agree with the masses.

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2016 01:24 PM
Darth Thor is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

Originally posted by Darth Thor
I'd say the opposite. It reflects the opinions of those few who pride themselves in having "higher taste".

Pirates of the Carribean is a beloved franchise (except for the last one), and critics slam those movies hard. So they really don't agree with the masses.
laughing out loud

No, just stop with the excuses.

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2016 02:01 PM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

FORTY PERCENT
O
R
T
Y

P
E
R
C
E
N
T

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2016 02:10 PM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

Originally posted by Tzeentch
FORTY PERCENT
O
R
T
Y

P
E
R
C
E
N
T
laughing out loud

laughing out loud

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2016 02:15 PM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Femi32

We can argue about whether reviews matter, but it is a fact that they do. It's possible that anyone of us will like BvS: DoJ, but the opposite is also true.

The Marvel Cinematic Universe would not be where it is if Iron Man through Avengers were critical failures. Sure, some of us have gripes with some of the Marvel movies and some have low opinions on some of them. It can't be disputed that all Marvel movies manage to get a favorable critical rating. Why can't we get a DC movie that isn't divisive and is being panned by critics?

Would it hurt to get DC movies that mostly everyone would enjoy? No, because it assure a sequel and guaranteed satisfaction. Speaking for myself, I know I won't be guaranteed to be satisfied. When I see paraphrase after paraphrase of what's wrong with the movie, I'm seeing red alerts due to my past gripes with Man of Steel. This is Amazing Spider-man all over again.

I hope WB is smart enough to delay Justice League, fire Zack Snyder, and rethink who should actually be running this whole DC Cinematic Universe (hint: an actual DC person who knows how to tell a story for the general audience and also knows the characters/stories like the back of his/her hand).

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2016 03:35 PM
Femi32 is currently offline Click here to Send Femi32 a Private Message Find more posts by Femi32 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

We have got DC films that weren't panned by critics.

But yes, this is terrible news. Hopefully, I'll enjoy it. We'll see...

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2016 03:46 PM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Femi32

Originally posted by ares834
We have got DC films that weren't panned by critics.

But yes, this is terrible news. Hopefully, I'll enjoy it. We'll see...

Yes, that is true, but I'm not counting Burton/Nolan Batman films, Superman 1 and 2, and Watchmen at the moment. They clearly have a problem and they need to fix it ASAP.

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2016 04:28 PM
Femi32 is currently offline Click here to Send Femi32 a Private Message Find more posts by Femi32 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Well I don't think any Zack Snyder film has got above 65% on RT (which was Watchmen btw). Even 300 only has 60%.

But I do get the impression Critics just don't like the general tone of the DCEU in the Marvel age of comic book movies.

Originally posted by Femi32

The Marvel Cinematic Universe would not be where it is if Iron Man through Avengers were critical failures. Sure, some of us have gripes with some of the Marvel movies and some have low opinions on some of them. It can't be disputed that all Marvel movies manage to get a favorable critical rating. Why can't we get a DC movie that isn't divisive and is being panned by critics?

Dunno, do feel like Marvel gets a free pass from critics. I mean Iron Man 3 at 79% on RT? Please.

You could argue they earned it through having so many great movies. But then didn't DC give us the Nolan trilogy not so long ago?

Last edited by Darth Thor on Mar 23rd, 2016 at 04:43 PM

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2016 04:40 PM
Darth Thor is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

I'm sure the film will be a big hit anyway. But DC will continue to have this quality problem so long as they keep hiring Zack Snyder, who sounds like he is off the leash Christopher Nolan had him on for Man Of Steel.

It depends what they want. Steven Spielberg and Paramount keeping bringing back Michael Bay for the Transformers movies despite reviews getting worse each time out, because the box office take is always huge. But I think DC wants what Marvel has, which is both the box office and high critical approval. The MCU is batting .1000 with the critics (not one film rated Rotten on RT), and even Fox has turned it around with the X-Men universe since First Class in 2011.

DC & Warners has other directors for other films coming soon thankfully, but they need someone other than Snyder to be doing the heart of the central DCCU.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2016 04:50 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Originally posted by Darth Thor
Well I don't think any Zack Snyder film has got above 65% on RT (which was Watchmen btw). Even 300 only has 60%.

But I do get the impression Critics just don't like the general tone of the DCEU in the Marvel age of comic book movies.

Dunno, do feel like Marvel gets a free pass from critics. I mean Iron Man 3 at 79% on RT? Please.

You could argue they earned it through having so many great movies. But then didn't DC give us the Nolan trilogy not so long ago?

I think Zack Snyder's highest praised movie was his first, the remake of Dawn Of The Dead. It's in the low 70% on RT. Watchmen had the weight of expectations, and whatever it's virtues it could not be for movies the groudbreaker it was for comics.

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2016 04:53 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Originally posted by CPT Space Bomb
I disagree. I feel that Rotten Tomatoes generally gets it right. Not always, but generally. There are times where I disagree with them; but it seems to be pretty rare.

I have disagreed and praised some films that got lower rating than I think they deserved, but overall their ratings are very accurate for a film's artistic quality. It's not the same as what appeals to an audience necessarily (it's why there are smash hits condemned by critics) but it's an important measure.

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2016 05:46 PM
Tzeentch
#gottem

It is worth noting that it's early and we haven't seen the bulk of critics' reviews yet.

My expectation is that by the end of BvS' run its score will probably hit the mid-60's to low 70's.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2016 05:55 PM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Femi32

It is worth noting that it's early and we haven't seen the bulk of critics' reviews yet.

My expectation is that by the end of BvS' run its score will probably hit the mid-60's to low 70's.

Don't know if that will happen. It's 34 fresh and 49 rotten right now. The negative reviews just keep piling up faster than the positive ones.

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2016 06:16 PM
roughrider
Thunderer

In my experience once a film starts in the Rotten side of the rankings it stays there. I have seen films start out rated Fresh and slide into Rotten territory, but not the other way around.

To me, 40 to 70% means a film got highly mixed to moderate reviews. It's when something is below 40% percent there is something very wrong with it.

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2016 06:34 PM
Femi32

So, when can we ramp up the campaign to fire Zack Snyder and hire Bruce Timm? Mixed receptions aren't good for the DCCU, whether you like the movie or not.

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2016 08:08 PM
Tzeentch
#gottem

There are rumors right now that if this movie performs below expectations, WB's investors already have plans in place to basically fire Snyder, axe all of the movie projects that are currently in motion (everything but the WW film, apparently) and hire a new team to reboot the universe from scratch.

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2016 08:12 PM
ares834

Damn.

If they do, they should wait awhile before releasing anything.

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2016 08:23 PM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

A very long time yeah, like, a decade at least.

WB waited too long to jump into the comic movie craze, imo. Marvel has saturated the market to such an extent that even now DoJ is basically just getting the scraps of the hype for these type of films; super-hero fatigue is inching toward critical mass.

I don't think the comic book film bubble can survive an entire comic cinematic universe getting rebooted this late in the game, even if the universe only has two or three movies in it.

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2016 08:28 PM
roughrider
Thunderer

Years ago, it was rumoured they wanted to bring in the Harry Potter guys (Producer David Heyman, Director David Yates) to shepard the Justice League franchise. But both are busy back in the Potterverse now, with Fantastic Beasts.

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2016 08:31 PM
Femi32

A reboot would make the most sense with a new creative crew, but it also requires time to wash away the bad taste. I would hate for them to recast Superman. I truly wouldn't mind everyone else outside of the Dwayne Johnson getting the boot.

My other concern would be the creative crew. Are they going to continue treating DC like an incompetent subsidy or are they going to actually allow them to make sure these movies are good? The WB way clearly doesn't work.

Edit: PLEASE DON'T SAY DECADE! I just turned 30 and the thought of waiting that long for a good DCCU is severely depressing.

Last edited by Femi32 on Mar 23rd, 2016 at 08:37 PM

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2016 08:33 PM