KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Versus' Forum » Battlezone » Curry's tourney Match 2; Digi vs Abhi

Curry's tourney Match 2; Digi vs Abhi
Started by: curryman

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

well done gents. made for some fun reading. thumb up

Old Post Jul 28th, 2013 11:29 PM
leonidas is currently offline Click here to Send leonidas a Private Message Find more posts by leonidas Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
curryman

quote:

Galan007 wrote on Jul 31st, 2013 07:39 PM:
Vote goes to Digi.

I didn’t think Armory flaying Ultimo with an energy blast meant a whole lot in respect to Digi’s amalgam. Why? Because: a.) Armory isn’t in this match, and b.) in abhi’s OP he said that he planned on busting through Ultimo physically —but as we’ve seen time and time again throughout numerous comics: energy attacks=/=physical attacks. Sometimes energy attacks can do what physicality cannot, and sometimes it’s the other way around. I certainly wouldn’t try to quantify Armory’s energy attack through physical standards, though. /shrug

On that note, I believe the more-physical aspect abhi brings to the table is inferior to the energy-based powers of Digi’s amped Havok/amalgam—I did not see sufficient proof that abhi’s amalgam can stand up to the uberness of a hugely amped Havok. Tack on the fact that Digi’s amalgam can also phase(making it immune to physical attacks) as well as shunt energy attacks used against it to another dimension, and it made for an exceedingly difficult character to pin down.

I believe I saw more proof that Digi’s amalgam would be successful with its initial attack(which is all that would be needed, imo) thanks to its undetectable quality/teleportation, then proof that abhi could counter said attack—if Mephisto could not detect DA in his own realm, I cannot possibly fathom how any component of abhi’s team could do so. Furthermore, I do not believe that Prometheus detecting/side-stepping Starman’s blast counts for much here, given that he only ‘dodged’ a very small/concentrated beam, whereas Digi can unleash massive energy attacks of an omni-directional nature.

In short, I believe that one of abhi’s biggest faults in this match was not using Prometheus more in his OP. By the time he tried to make an argument for some of Prometheus’ tactics/abilities(which were very impressive), Digi had already concreted how he was going to [very rapidly] win.

Great job to both contestants, though. T’was a very interesting match to read. thumb up

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2013 10:46 AM
curryman is currently offline Click here to Send curryman a Private Message Find more posts by curryman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
curryman

quote:

Omega Vision wrote on Jul 29th, 2013 03:08 PM:
Omega Vision's Ruling.

Because I've never really liked suspense I'm going to say it right away: I believe that Digi, AKA Digimark, AKA Old Man Digi, AKA the Dog Smiley Guy, AKA The Guy Who I Imagine Looks like Jason Alexander Because of a Previous Avatar, is the clear winner of this match. To extend the soccer/futbol analogy I was using earlier, I think Digi won this match 3-1 or 4-2, with Abhi's goal(s) coming too late in the game to change the outcome.

I said from the beginning that this was Digi's to lose, but in all honesty Abhilegend did much better than I expected. Whether the other judges agree or disagree with my choice and whether he advances or gets kicked to the loser's bracket I look forward to his future matches.

Now for my analysis I'm going to focus on Abhi more than Digi because there's more to learn from defeat than from victory, but I'll start with Digi.

Digi:

What you did right-you're a seasoned debater, and there's not much I could tell you that you don't already know, but I think the most obvious advantage you had over Abhi was that you came out swinging with a well-thought out strategy. You also had better picks, and it seems like you put a lot more thought into how your picks would mesh than Abhi did.

What you did wrong-I would say if anything you weren't aggressive enough on some points, and you didn't contest enough of Abhi's claims, some of which were very dangerous, claims you shouldn't ever concede to without a fight. There are some people (without naming names) in this tourney who will destroy you if you get even a little complacent.

Abhi:

What you did right-you were aggressive from post #1 without ever crossing over into abuse. I respect that, and no one could fault you for your form, which was impeccable. I think with a more thought-out strategy you could go on to become a daunting force in this tourney.

What you did wrong-Two things more or less doomed you from the start: weaker picks that didn't amalgamate all that well, and a weak strategy. To the first, I'm still baffled as to why you'd choose a flying brick with few exotic powers for a powerset when your body pick is another brick, and then to add to that you almost completely ignored Prometheus in your strategy. It's my understanding that tourney characters only have a certain amount of autonomy: strategy and tactics are all supposed to be scripted by the contestant. If you don't make Prometheus prep in your prep time then he simply won't prep, he (or rather the amalgam that has his mind) will show up to the fight holding a crazy handful of nothing. It's nice that you attempted to pull out some trump cards like the teleporter, but that wasn't in your original prep so I'm not even sure if I can count it. Instead of focusing on your own strategy for the first few posts you concentrated on invalidating Digi's picks and lowballing them. That added a sour hint to an otherwise honorable match.

On to some more specific points:

-Captain Britain. You were claiming that Britain can destroy planets with the shockwaves of his punches, which if true would make him well beyond the level of High Meta. I won't call for his disqualification though because I saw no compelling evidence in your scans (maybe I wasn't reading them right) that this was actually the case.

-Armory. You shot yourself in the foot with this one. On principle I don't like lowballing, especially lowballing that relies on dubious feats and characters. I also question your use of the word "tanking", and wonder if you read the same scan that I did, because I saw Armory's attack blowing off a character's arm (she immediately regenerated) and missing the other character completely. That's not tanking, and I suppose Digi didn't call you out on it because he didn't even consider it worth his time. All this aside, you tried to use an example of an energy blast felling Ultimo to show that you could do the same with punches. Does not compute, brobeans.

The Bottom Line: Abhi overestimated the raw power of his picks and neglected strategy, thus handing the victory to Digi.

Good luck to both of you--this was the best match so far, and I'm proud to have judged it.

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2013 10:47 AM
curryman is currently offline Click here to Send curryman a Private Message Find more posts by curryman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
curryman

quote:

-Pr- wrote on Aug 2nd, 2013 11:02 AM:
======

Going in to this match, I tried my very best to act like I'd never heard of any of the characters before, though it wasn't as easy as I would have liked. My early impressions were that trash talk was taken way too far in some of the posts, but it wasn't to the point that I would actually hold it against someone.

Now, the match itself... I honestly have to go with Digi. The reason? As much as I could see (even without wanting to) vulnerabilities and exploits in his plan/characters, I don't think that Abhi really exploited them as much as he could have, if at all.

Abhi did give a decent account of himself, and I think that he could do well in future tournaments if he doesn't in this one, but I think going up against Digi this early was a death sentence considering Digis tourney record.

One thing I also feel I have to mention is that, while it wasn't a huge deal, the formatting (or lack thereof) of Abhi's posts made it a lot harder to actually get the full impact of what he was trying to say. For the first few minutes, I couldn't even tell who he had recruited to his team, whereas Digi had his all laid out quite nicely, and the ease at getting through his posts didn't hurt his chances at all.

So yes, in summary, Digi takes the win imo.

========

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2013 10:47 AM
curryman

Digi wins with 3 to 0, great match gentlemen

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2013 10:50 AM
Digi
Forum Leader

I look nothing like Jason Alexander.

Thanks judges, curry, and to Abhi for a good match.

Last edited by Digi on Aug 2nd, 2013 at 02:14 PM

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2013 02:06 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Digi
I look nothing like Jason Alexander.

Thanks judges, curry, and to Abhi for a good match.

You're right, I'm sure he's much more handsome than you are.

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2013 02:24 PM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
abhilegend
Prince of All Saiyans

Well, it was fun.

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2013 02:31 PM
abhilegend is currently offline Click here to Send abhilegend a Private Message Find more posts by abhilegend Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote