KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » The "canonicity" of JLA/Avengers

The "canonicity" of JLA/Avengers
Started by: zopzop

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Endless Mike
Sqirrel Girl fanboy

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Galan007
If JLA/Avengers were canon in the literal sense, then Marvel(and DC) would be able to reference it, as well as the cross-company-characters involved, directly. Instead, they have to indirectly allude to the aforementioned in their bios. Clearly this means copyright laws are still very much intact-- and if one company cannot specifically mention the event/characters without being sued by the other company, then how can it possibly be dubbed 'canon'..?

I just chalk it up to cross-company shoutouts, personally. However, I do see your point-- the events of the Silver Surfer/Superman crossover were also indirectly mentioned in a Marvel bio, but I don't know if you could consider it 'canon' for the very same reasons. /shrug

Also the Surfer/Green Lantern crossover was referenced in a Thanos storyline (actually it was essential to explain how Thanos got to where he was).

Sig by Starlock

Old Post Jul 31st, 2013 09:07 PM
Endless Mike is currently offline Click here to Send Endless Mike a Private Message Find more posts by Endless Mike Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dmills
Centurion Prime

Originally posted by Rage.Of.Olympus
Like I told you earlier, shit like Marvel vs. Capcom was referenced in Shuma's entry IIRC and so on.

You bullshittin'?

Old Post Jul 31st, 2013 09:24 PM
dmills is currently offline Click here to Send dmills a Private Message Find more posts by dmills Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SevenShackles
Missa pro defunctis

Originally posted by Endless Mike
Also the Surfer/Green Lantern crossover was referenced in a Thanos storyline (actually it was essential to explain how Thanos got to where he was).

Was that the one where Thanos uses Terrax to attack Kyle Rayner or some sort of shenanigans? How was that used to reference a Thanos appearence? I it is that storyline I think it ended with him being sucked into the rift as the realities separated. (Parallax Hal being shot out into space or some sort of junk in the process)

GAMMA GIDEON

Respect: -Dynamo 5 -Greed -Noh-Varr/Marvel Boy

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2013 04:21 AM
SevenShackles is currently offline Click here to Send SevenShackles a Private Message Find more posts by SevenShackles Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
themadsurfer

Originally posted by Igniz
Because Superman Vs Amazing Spiderman happened in a situation were the characters from DC and Marvel are interacting as if they've known each other.There was no separate universe in that crossover while JLA/Avengers, still retain the separate universe law.Ex Flash couldn't move fast in the Marvel Universe because speedforce doesn't exist there.The blockbuster of the marvel universe also clearly stated that earth-616 temporarily merged with DCU.But before the merger of Marvel and DC, fights happened there like Hulk Vs Superman,Wolverine Vs Lobo and etc.And Blockbuster of the Marvel Universe clearly states that the marvel characters that fought in that crossover are from earth-616.If that is the case, would Storm beating Wonderwoman be legit as evidence in the forums?And again, BMU is current compared to the handbooks you referenced.And since JLA/Avengers isn't mentioned in it despite crossovers like Marvel Vs DC and Superman Vs Spiderman are mentioned there only indicates that its not canonical.And Tom Brevoort also mentioned in Formspring that JLA/Avengers isn't canonical.

Good point. Do you know where I can see Brevort saying that? I mean a site or scan, whatever.

Old Post Oct 29th, 2015 06:48 PM
themadsurfer is currently offline Click here to Send themadsurfer a Private Message Find more posts by themadsurfer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

Old thread!

Anyway, DC did reference the storyline directly- the cosmic egg created by it showed up again in a later JLA story.

The characters don't have memory of what happened, but the events happened and had an effect.

It's kinda like how Wildcats/Aliens killed Stormwatch. Blatantly canon, played into the start of the Authority, but they cannot directly show Xenomorphs or such, only say 'some alien monsters killed Stormwatch.'

Crossovers don't have to be non-canon, but even when they are, you can't directly refer to the other side of the crossover outside of it save in generic terms.

Old Post Oct 29th, 2015 07:13 PM
Q99 is currently offline Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

Oh yea, and Judge Dredd considers crossover canon. So Batman meeting Dredd? Happened.

Old Post Oct 29th, 2015 07:19 PM
Q99 is currently offline Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

I believe Spawn/Batman crossover was canon, too?

Old Post Oct 29th, 2015 08:23 PM
StiltmanFTW is currently offline Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
I believe Spawn/Batman crossover was canon, too?

On the Spawn side, quite possibly.

It's interesting that sometimes you get asymmetrical canons, where something is canon to one but not another.

Old Post Oct 29th, 2015 09:08 PM
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

Yeah, I'm aware of those. Honestly, I thought JLA/Avengers (or Marvel vs. DC) was canon only to DC. Turns out I was wrong?

Wasn't Spawn's famous facial scar the result of Bruce's batarang? That would make it canon for Spawn. He's appeared in many-many issues with it.

Old Post Oct 29th, 2015 09:25 PM
StiltmanFTW is currently offline Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Where handbook evidence is concerned, the OHOTMU: Alternate Universes guidebook gives a specific numerical designation for the "Amalgam pocket universe" that was created during DC vs. Marvel #03 -- Earth-9602:
http://i.imgur.com/x4MrAVr.jpg
(outlined in red.)

So it would seem that Marvel regards that crossover as canon to some extent, as they do the "Amalgam Universe" material.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Oct 29th, 2015 10:09 PM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
themadsurfer

Where handbook evidence is concerned, the OHOTMU: Alternate Universes guidebook gives a specific numerical designation for the "Amalgam pocket universe" that was created during DC vs. Marvel #03 -- Earth-9602:
http://i.imgur.com/x4MrAVr.jpg
(outlined in red.)

So it would seem that Marvel regards that crossover as canon to some extent, as they do the "Amalgam Universe" material.

That HOTU thing appear in some handbooks but Brevoort says It is not cannon, so I don't know.
Igniz here said Brevoort stated Marvel vs DC is not Canon too. I wish somebody could help me find Brevoort really saying this.

Old Post Oct 30th, 2015 02:39 AM
themadsurfer is currently offline Click here to Send themadsurfer a Private Message Find more posts by themadsurfer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

What Brevoort said in random interviews is irrelevant. He's a tard.

Also, the events of 'The End' have been shown/mentioned in multiple comics(not including Handbooks.) It is 100% canon.

Last edited by Galan007 on Oct 30th, 2015 at 03:30 AM

Old Post Oct 30th, 2015 03:26 AM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
themadsurfer

Also, the events of 'The End' have been shown/mentioned in multiple comics(not including Handbooks.) It is 100% canon.

Yeah Brevoort is pretty ****ed up, hard to take his word lol
That event has indeed being mentioned in comics and I think two times or more.

But I would still like to see Brevoort saying something about JLA/Avengers, do you know something about?

Old Post Oct 30th, 2015 04:40 AM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Those 'The End' series are all canon? I don't see how that's possible...

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Oct 30th, 2015 04:43 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by -Pr-
Those 'The End' series are all canon? I don't see how that's possible...
No, no. I'm only talking about Marvel: The End:
(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Oct 30th, 2015 09:07 PM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

No, no. I'm only talking about Marvel: The End:
(please log in to view the image)

Oh thank ****, because that X-Men series was awful.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Oct 30th, 2015 09:09 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Master

If JLA/Avengers were canon in the literal sense, then Marvel(and DC) [u]would be able to reference it, as well as the cross-company-characters involved, directly. Instead, they have to indirectly allude to the aforementioned in their bios. Clearly this means copyright laws are still very much intact-- and if one company cannot specifically mention the event/characters without being sued by the other company, then how can it possibly be dubbed 'canon'..?

I just chalk it up to cross-company shoutouts, personally.

thumb up ... That's always been my stance.

In JLA/Avengers ... Marvel and DC were part of the same Multiverse. no expression laughing out loud

Old Post Nov 4th, 2015 05:06 PM
Mr Master is currently offline Click here to Send Mr Master a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Master Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

Note that stuff can be canon, and still never mentioned again. Consider all the little one-shot villains and such.

Old Post Nov 6th, 2015 12:08 AM
Juntai
Divine Vengeance

I pointed out all of this to the forum like a decade ago in some of my very first posts. lol.

I am God's mighty fist. I am God's strength made manifest.

Sig by: Skeets, S.S, thesilverspider, Sir SKEETS Alot

Old Post Nov 8th, 2015 12:23 AM
Juntai is currently offline Click here to Send Juntai a Private Message Find more posts by Juntai Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote