KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » TV Talk Forum » Preacher (AMC)

Preacher (AMC)
Started by: Impediment

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (26): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Impediment
Endless

Preacher: Film or series?

The comic book series Preacher, from DC's Vertigo imprint.

Preacher may be in development Hell.

Is Preacher better suited for television?

As a life long comic book fan, I have to agree with people who say that Preacher is far better suited as a television series for HBO, Showtime, etc. To try to compile all of the greatness of Preacher into a 2 hour movie will be an utter fail, in my opinion, just like with the movie adaptation of Watchmen.

Has anyone read Preacher? If not, I strongly urge you to buy the trade paper backs and get ready for an utter thrill ride. Garth Ennis is one of the greatest writers in all of comic books, as is Steve Dillon's art work.

“Dreams shape the world."

Last edited by Impediment on Jan 8th, 2018 at 01:33 AM

Old Post Sep 15th, 2013 05:19 PM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

prolly better suited for HBO or Showtime where if successful could last a few years

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Sep 15th, 2013 05:22 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
the ninjak
FRINGE Division

I've been waiting for this series forever.

And it has to be a TV series not films.

As Bruce said HBO and Showtime will suit fine.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Impediment

As a life long comic book fan, I have to agree with people who say that Preacher is far better suited as a television series for HBO, Showtime, etc. To try to compile all of the greatness of Preacher into a 2 hour movie will be an utter fail, in my opinion, just like with the movie adaptation of Watchmen.

All 66 issues of Preacher will translate perfectly as an episode, I feel. I even made a comparison chart of actors I feel would be perfectly cast:

Has anyone read Preacher? If not, I strongly urge you to buy the trade paper backs and get ready for an utter thrill ride. Garth Ennis is one of the greatest writers in all of comic books, as is Steve Dillon's art work.

The actors you chose are pretty spot on.
I'm just curious about Franco being Jesse. He just doesn't exude Jesse's demeanour.

Last edited by the ninjak on Sep 15th, 2013 at 06:15 PM

Old Post Sep 15th, 2013 06:12 PM
the ninjak is currently offline Click here to Send the ninjak a Private Message Find more posts by the ninjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

Franco seems perfect, IMO. All he needs to do is buff up a little bit.

Old Post Sep 15th, 2013 06:32 PM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

Old Post Sep 15th, 2013 06:42 PM
the ninjak
FRINGE Division

Franco seems perfect, IMO. All he needs to do is buff up a little bit.

Back in the day I perceived Jason Patric from the Lost Boys as being a perfect Jesse.

Franco has the Star Power and the Indie crowd. His innocent charm can work with Jesse.
It's just that he seems gullible in his roles, but that's no reason to write him out in such a plot.
He has his strengths, but he's never been the brawler type.

Last edited by the ninjak on Sep 15th, 2013 at 08:24 PM

Old Post Sep 15th, 2013 08:17 PM
the ninjak is currently offline Click here to Send the ninjak a Private Message Find more posts by the ninjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

I remember hearing something about this YEARS and YEARS ago. I remember being intrigued. Is it actually happening finally? HBO or AMC should do it. Preferably HBO, so censorship isn't such an issue.

Old Post Sep 15th, 2013 09:55 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

It's in development Hell as of right now, but rumors are abound of it's eminent production.

Old Post Sep 15th, 2013 11:23 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

The actor-choices are pretty solid.

In the comics, Cassidy is very, very Irish. Joseph would have to pull off one hell of a thick accent.
Tyler seems a little young to play SoK, but they could always age him with a mixture of makeup/prosthetics/CG.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Sep 16th, 2013 12:59 AM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Esau Cairn
Contagious

I can't see Franco as Jesse.

I'm thinking either Aaron Paul (Jesse from Breaking Bad) or even Charlie Hunnam (Jax from Sons Of Anarchy).

And Banks is too old to play Tulip IMO. She's already 39. I see Tulip to be mid twenties.

Last edited by Esau Cairn on Sep 17th, 2013 at 04:26 AM

Old Post Sep 17th, 2013 04:21 AM
Esau Cairn is currently offline Click here to Send Esau Cairn a Private Message Find more posts by Esau Cairn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

IMO, Tyler Mane is the ONLY person who can play the Saint. He's tall, menacing, and completely bad ass looking. A little make up and BOOM!

Old Post Sep 17th, 2013 10:00 AM
dadudemon

Re: Preacher: Film or series?

Preacher may be in development Hell.

Is Preacher better suited for television?

All 66 issues of Preacher will translate perfectly as an episode, I feel. I even made a comparison chart of actors I feel would be perfectly cast:

(please log in to view the image)

I'll be honest...

My bawlz got a little bit wet just reading your post. What really needs to happen is you need to go lobby some producers in Hollywood and then act as a consultant for this show. Stop being lazy and just make it happen so we can enjoy a proper show.

For me, this would be the replacement show for Breaking Bad...I'd love to see Preacher end up as a TV Series done a la Showtime or HBO.

Old Post Sep 17th, 2013 01:42 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
samhain
The Demon Hunter

TV show for this definitely. Too much scope for a movie, not sure about Joseph Gordon-Levitt as Cassidy though. Relatively unknowns would work best for this on television IMO.

rolling on floor laughing smokin' messed

Old Post Sep 17th, 2013 02:31 PM
samhain is currently offline Click here to Send samhain a Private Message Find more posts by samhain Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Esau Cairn
Contagious

Sean William Scott as Cassidy. He's got the look & has shown his perverted side in the American Pie movies & can handle action as well.

Old Post Sep 18th, 2013 04:33 AM
Esau Cairn is currently offline Click here to Send Esau Cairn a Private Message Find more posts by Esau Cairn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

Hbo show could work.

Old Post Sep 20th, 2013 02:49 AM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheGodKiller02
True Killer

HBO show is the logical choice. Preacher would be the perfect answer to AMC's Walking Dead.

Old Post Sep 20th, 2013 06:53 PM
TheGodKiller02 is currently offline Click here to Send TheGodKiller02 a Private Message Find more posts by TheGodKiller02 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
the ninjak
FRINGE Division

Preacher will piss a lot of people off.

Old Post Sep 21st, 2013 07:30 PM
Impediment
Endless

Preacher will DEFINITELY piss off a lot of people, but it would also amaze even more people.

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2013 04:37 PM
the ninjak
FRINGE Division

The show will need to have a disclaimer before every episode to avoid any religious retaliation.

Which it will evoke regardless. It is after all an anti-God tale.

I would be completely happy with the original choices in the end as long as the series stuck to the source material.

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2013 07:54 PM
Impediment
Endless

Yes!!

Attachment: sexualinvestigators.jpg
This has been downloaded 69 time(s).

Old Post Sep 29th, 2013 08:45 PM