KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » Who thinks there is freedom? Who thinks there isn't?

Who thinks there is freedom? Who thinks there isn't?
Started by: AceleFortiere

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
AceleFortiere

Who thinks there is freedom? Who thinks there isn't?

Just curious. coz' there are so many people out there with different insights.
For me, I think there is. But I'm interested in other insights, I mean, it's nice to be able to understand how one sees the world different to yours. It doesn't really need to be based on experience. I just wanted to know if FREEDOM does truly exist somewhere in our world or in our life.

Attachment: white-light1.jpg
This has been downloaded 72 time(s).

Old Post Dec 9th, 2013 02:06 PM
AceleFortiere is currently offline Click here to Send AceleFortiere a Private Message Find more posts by AceleFortiere Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Re: Who thinks there is freedom? Who thinks there isn't?

quote: (post)
Originally posted by AceleFortiere
Just curious. coz' there are so many people out there with different insights.
For me, I think there is. But I'm interested in other insights, I mean, it's nice to be able to understand how one sees the world different to yours. It doesn't really need to be based on experience. I just wanted to know if FREEDOM does truly exist somewhere in our world or in our life.

Please define freedom.

Old Post Dec 9th, 2013 03:45 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KillaKassara
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: Who thinks there is freedom? Who thinks there isn't?

if FREEDOM does truly exist somewhere in our world or in our life.
I don't know.

I have some limited freedom, I'm free to think about what I want, I'm free to choose what to spend the money I earn on, to choose how to make money to a limited degree, to choose to buy good looking clothes and make myself fit and presentable, to choose to pursue any career out there.

I'm not free to fly, to be above physical injury, to be above anxiety, to be above Maslow's hierarchy of needs, I can't choose my friends or a lover (though I can choose what group of people to interact with and I can choose to pursue so and so romantically).

"Compounding these trickster aspects, the Joker ethos is verbally explicated as such by his psychiatrist, who describes his madness as "super-sanity." Where "sanity" previously suggested acquiescence with cultural codes, the addition of "super" implies that this common "sanity" has been replaced by a superior form, in which perception and processing are completely ungoverned and unconstrained"

Old Post Dec 9th, 2013 04:26 PM
KillaKassara is currently offline Click here to Send KillaKassara a Private Message Find more posts by KillaKassara Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stealth Moose
Umbrella Elite

'Murica has freedom.

[SPOILER - highlight to read]: Tee hee

Old Post Dec 9th, 2013 09:35 PM
Stealth Moose is currently offline Click here to Send Stealth Moose a Private Message Find more posts by Stealth Moose Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Originally posted by Stealth Moose
'Murica has freedom.

[SPOILER - highlight to read]: Tee hee

Not anymore.

Old Post Dec 9th, 2013 11:22 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KillaKassara
Restricted

Account Restricted

In the 60's, factory workers were comfortably in the upper middle class, easily able to provide for their entire families. In the 60's things were more factorized, industrialized, centralized - more people were earning so more people could put money back into the economy.

Now one factory job, if you don't get laid off after a few months, will not take you out of the lower class.

What happened?

Free-market happened, apathy towards education systems happened, price-gouged tech-schools happened, big business happened, apathy towards R&D programs like NASA happened.

Big business runs the world, have their hands in the FRS, deep in US's FRS, and all nations have it. Scarcity has created a monster, while we could be post-scarcity - and the shrinking of the world may take us there - the big corporate fatties won't go down before a fight. But they will, unless they organize nuclear Armageddon. How? Monopoly of fossil fuels.

"Compounding these trickster aspects, the Joker ethos is verbally explicated as such by his psychiatrist, who describes his madness as "super-sanity." Where "sanity" previously suggested acquiescence with cultural codes, the addition of "super" implies that this common "sanity" has been replaced by a superior form, in which perception and processing are completely ungoverned and unconstrained"

Last edited by KillaKassara on Dec 10th, 2013 at 12:12 AM

Old Post Dec 10th, 2013 12:07 AM
KillaKassara is currently offline Click here to Send KillaKassara a Private Message Find more posts by KillaKassara Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

OP needs to figure out what he's talking about before any response is warranted.

Old Post Dec 10th, 2013 01:49 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

We clearly have freedom:

Old Post Dec 10th, 2013 01:52 AM
Lord Lucien is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stealth Moose
Umbrella Elite

No True Scotsman was hurt in that production.

Originally posted by Digi
OP needs to figure out what he's talking about before any response is warranted.

I lol'd.

Old Post Dec 10th, 2013 03:16 AM
Stealth Moose is currently offline Click here to Send Stealth Moose a Private Message Find more posts by Stealth Moose Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

I just noticed the OP's picture. Freedom is a fuzzy light-bird in hyperspace...

Freedom is the Millennium Falcon. Holy shit...

Old Post Dec 10th, 2013 03:33 AM
Lord Lucien is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stealth Moose
Umbrella Elite

Han Solo = only free man.

Then came Leia.

Real Star Wars moral truth = women just tie you down.

Old Post Dec 10th, 2013 03:46 AM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Much better if you just tie them down and get on with it. So advocated by Freddie Mercury.

Old Post Dec 10th, 2013 03:55 AM
AceleFortiere

Others said that there really isn't any TRUE freedom because it is not present when you needed it. Because they say that everywhere we go there are boundaries. But you know freedom is not something we can just call on. It's not a weapon against the boundaries we have in life. Its just a blissful feeling that we can only feel in a very rare moment in our life. It is a feeling wherein we can only feel during are happiest times where we can all be ourselves. Like right now, we can just say anything we want. We have the freedom to speak out our thought here in this forum. Freedom is just there. Just right beside us. It's like.. hmm... air, for example, we can't see it, we can't touch it, it just passes through us and we can only feel it for a brief moment. TRUE Freedom is only temporary not everlasting. It doesn't need to be ETERNAL to be considered as something true. I mean, we might get spoiled with too much Freedom, won't we? It can result to something bad. True freedom easily slips through us. We can't grab it but we can feel it. It only stays, sometime for a moment, some for an hour and sometime even a day but it cannot stay any longer. And we easily forget the feeling that FREEDOM gave us because of the many boundaries we experience in life. That is why, there are so many that thinks that there is no Freedom but it actually exists as something true and something that we should treasure.
LOL, I think I just made a very long essay. haha sorry for taking your time in reading this very long message of mine which might be actually boring. I just wanted to let all my feelings out I mean, this is where I can only type my thoughts. LOL I'm so emotional.

Old Post Dec 10th, 2013 01:09 PM
AceleFortiere is currently offline Click here to Send AceleFortiere a Private Message Find more posts by AceleFortiere Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AceleFortiere

BTW, A woman is present here~

And one quote says, "Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes."

Lol

Old Post Dec 10th, 2013 01:12 PM
KillaKassara
Restricted

Account Restricted

Others said that there really isn't any TRUE freedom because it is not present when you needed it. Because they say that everywhere we go there are boundaries. But you know freedom is not something we can just call on. It's not a weapon against the boundaries we have in life. Its just a blissful feeling that we can only feel in a very rare moment in our life. It is a feeling wherein we can only feel during are happiest times where we can all be ourselves. Like right now, we can just say anything we want. We have the freedom to speak out our thought here in this forum. Freedom is just there. Just right beside us. It's like.. hmm... air, for example, we can't see it, we can't touch it, it just passes through us and we can only feel it for a brief moment. TRUE Freedom is only temporary not everlasting. It doesn't need to be ETERNAL to be considered as something true. I mean, we might get spoiled with too much Freedom, won't we? It can result to something bad. True freedom easily slips through us. We can't grab it but we can feel it. It only stays, sometime for a moment, some for an hour and sometime even a day but it cannot stay any longer. And we easily forget the feeling that FREEDOM gave us because of the many boundaries we experience in life. That is why, there are so many that thinks that there is no Freedom but it actually exists as something true and something that we should treasure.
LOL, I think I just made a very long essay. haha sorry for taking your time in reading this very long message of mine which might be actually boring. I just wanted to let all my feelings out I mean, this is where I can only type my thoughts. LOL I'm so emotional.
Are you making fun of me?

Oh how I love being mimicked by fake alts.

Old Post Dec 10th, 2013 03:20 PM
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Who thinks there is freedom?

Arm, go up. Arm goes up. H'm.

If nothing else, free will exists as a reliable 'as-if'.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Dec 10th, 2013 03:34 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stealth Moose
Umbrella Elite

Others said that there really isn't any TRUE freedom because it is not present when you needed it. Because they say that everywhere we go there are boundaries. But you know freedom is not something we can just call on. It's not a weapon against the boundaries we have in life. Its just a blissful feeling that we can only feel in a very rare moment in our life. It is a feeling wherein we can only feel during are happiest times where we can all be ourselves.

This is actually a good definition = freedom is when we feel like we can be ourselves. Free of the burden of censorship, restriction, and such.

quote:
Like right now, we can just say anything we want. We have the freedom to speak out our thought here in this forum. Freedom is just there. Just right beside us.

Within reason. It's less reserved than IRL communication among strangers due to the anonymity part, but still moderated.

quote:
It's like.. hmm... air, for example, we can't see it, we can't touch it, it just passes through us and we can only feel it for a brief moment. TRUE Freedom is only temporary not everlasting. It doesn't need to be ETERNAL to be considered as something true. I mean, we might get spoiled with too much Freedom, won't we? It can result to something bad. True freedom easily slips through us. We can't grab it but we can feel it. It only stays, sometime for a moment, some for an hour and sometime even a day but it cannot stay any longer. And we easily forget the feeling that FREEDOM gave us because of the many boundaries we experience in life. That is why, there are so many that thinks that there is no Freedom but it actually exists as something true and something that we should treasure.
LOL, I think I just made a very long essay. haha sorry for taking your time in reading this very long message of mine which might be actually boring.

From the Count of Monte Cristo film:

Abbe Faria: In return for your help, I offer you something priceless.
    Edmond: My freedom?
    Abbe Faria: No, freedom can be taken away, as you well know. I offer you my knowledge.

BTW, A woman is present here~

It's okay, they do exist online.

Old Post Dec 10th, 2013 07:45 PM
DrDeadpool
Observer

It really depends on your definition of freedom but anyway I don't think there should be a 100 % freedom because humans are still not sophisticated enough, when i think of freedom i remember the movie mist , people are so different in various situations , a stressful or a terrifying condition can steal our ability to think right, now imagine a complete freedom , when you can access to any information you want or see any place you desire!! that would change you a lot!!! Of course there will be a time when we can have a complete freedom but its not the time yet.

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2014 09:39 PM
DrDeadpool is currently offline Click here to Send DrDeadpool a Private Message Find more posts by DrDeadpool Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Originally posted by DrDeadpool
i remember the movie mist
No matter the context, saying this should be an automatic red flag.

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2014 09:45 PM
Digi
Forum Leader

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f75/t590217.html

Head there for a more nuanced discussion on freedom (although it's referred to as free will in the thread more often than freedom, but under certain definitions, the two are synonymous).

My answer would be that freedom exists on a spectrum, with several variables affecting its presence or absence at any given point. It is not, however, a zero sum question.

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2014 09:57 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote