KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Versus' Forum » Supernova goes off, what happens?

Supernova goes off, what happens?
Started by: Rao Kal El

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (13): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Q99

The thing is, most people underestimate supernovas by a lot.

In a comic, it's normally just some explosion.

In real life, a supernova going off where the sun is while you're on earth would be worse than touching an atomic bomb when it's going off... by nine orders of magnitude.

There's that much power.

Old Post Dec 12th, 2013 05:45 PM
Q99 is currently offline Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
zopzop
The Weeknd

quote: (post)
Originally posted by dmills
Maaaan. Big phucking ditto on "healing factors" reversing the effects of transmutation. Only of slightly lessor annoyance is a person resisting powerful TP via "will power" or "rage". I've always thought of powerful tp as complete domination of a victims neurons etc. WTF does "will power" have to do with countering that?

As for black holes and exploding stars etc. If I were editor in chief @ Marvel or DC, no one short or skyfather is surviving shit like that unless they have some sort of power set advantage. It just phucks up any of the suspension of disbelief limits that I have reserved for comic book entertainment.

Dude, what about GALAXY busting attacks? Because Vision and WM survived one.

Think about it, as awesomely powerful as super novas are, they are "only" responsible for creating solar systems. A GALAXY contains hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of solar systems. The power necessary to bust a galaxy is mind boggling, yet Vision and WM survived!

Man, all this is pissing me off. I just want to walk up to a classmate and punch them in the face.

The Birds, Part 2.

Old Post Dec 12th, 2013 05:53 PM
zopzop is currently offline Click here to Send zopzop a Private Message Find more posts by zopzop Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ShadowFyre

Haha makes you not even wanna read comics sometimes.

Old Post Dec 12th, 2013 05:55 PM
ShadowFyre is currently offline Click here to Send ShadowFyre a Private Message Find more posts by ShadowFyre Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rao Kal El
DJ FrostByte

Originally posted by zopzop

Man, all this is pissing me off. I just want to walk up to a classmate and punch them in the face.

thumb up laughing

Sometimes I wonder how much science do writers know

Thank You Prof. T.C McAbe, You are Superman!

Last edited by Rao Kal El on Dec 12th, 2013 at 06:02 PM

Old Post Dec 12th, 2013 06:00 PM
Rao Kal El is currently offline Click here to Send Rao Kal El a Private Message Find more posts by Rao Kal El Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Enzeru

Originally posted by Galan007
I would like to point out that Supes never took a 50x supernova to the face:
http://i.imgur.com/asxKmH4.jpg
The absolute most you could argue is that he withstood the electromagnetic shockwave generated by the explosion-- but the radiation itself(the particularly dangerous part of the blast) never actually touched him before he was saved. If it had, Supes would have been "incinerated."

That said, I do believe he can survive a supernova. He's certainly not going to tank it, mind you... But he would survive.

Yeah, damn - I recalled that feat being much more impressive :-|

But didn't he still take regular supernovas unharmed, yet knocked out? Wasn't there a Suneater-explosion, which left him unharmed, but knocked him out and sent him flying back in time or some crazy crap like that?

Old Post Dec 12th, 2013 06:02 PM
Enzeru is currently offline Click here to Send Enzeru a Private Message Find more posts by Enzeru Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Wait a sec... You mean to tell me that comic books don't always conform to real world science/physics!?

(please log in to view the image)

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Dec 12th, 2013 06:05 PM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dmills
Centurion Prime

Originally posted by Q99
The thing is, most people underestimate supernovas by a lot.

In a comic, it's normally just some explosion.

In real life, a supernova going off where the sun is while you're on earth would be worse than touching an atomic bomb when it's going off... by nine orders of magnitude.

There's that much power.

I once read that if a supernova went off 1 light year from Earth, it would still be powerful enough to obliterate every planet/celestial object in our solar system... So basically it's a solar system buster at least.

Old Post Dec 12th, 2013 06:13 PM
dmills is currently offline Click here to Send dmills a Private Message Find more posts by dmills Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

Originally posted by Enzeru
Yeah, damn - I recalled that feat being much more impressive :-|

But didn't he still take regular supernovas unharmed, yet knocked out? Wasn't there a Suneater-explosion, which left him unharmed, but knocked him out and sent him flying back in time or some crazy crap like that?

That wasn't a supernova, that was a normal star.

Oh yea, that's another thing- comics do call any star exploding a 'supernova'. 90% of the time, it really would just be a normal nova. Much smaller and more reasonable.

Q99 is currently offline Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rao Kal El
DJ FrostByte

Wait a sec... You mean to tell me that comic books don't always conform to real world science/physics!?

No they do, only that light in the DCU light travels way faster than light in the real world as Wally West and the narration confirm it stick out tongue

Thank You Prof. T.C McAbe, You are Superman!

Rao Kal El is currently offline Click here to Send Rao Kal El a Private Message Find more posts by Rao Kal El Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dmills
Centurion Prime

It's not so much about conformity to "rwp", as it is about suspension of disbelief. Sometimes even "it's comics" isn't enough to circumvent that lol.

Old Post Dec 12th, 2013 06:16 PM
dmills is currently offline Click here to Send dmills a Private Message Find more posts by dmills Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Oh I agree. Sometimes the crap they write is SO stupid that it's hard to even give it the benefit of the doubt, fictional or not.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Dec 12th, 2013 06:17 PM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheGodKiller02
True Killer

Originally posted by Q99

Understatement of the year.

Old Post Dec 12th, 2013 06:25 PM
TheGodKiller02 is currently offline Click here to Send TheGodKiller02 a Private Message Find more posts by TheGodKiller02 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dmills
Centurion Prime

laughing out loud

Old Post Dec 12th, 2013 06:26 PM
Enzeru

Well there is some stuff in comics that you simply ignore, because it's too stupid and some stuff you simply have to go with.

In one of my Sentry threads I said that Superman's power-set is insanely stupid and that it would never work in the real world...

Check this out and supernovas will be the least of your worries regarding comic book logic:

If superpowers were real: Flight
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GDYCxQYbjg

If superpowers were real: Super Strength
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOQhduHFp2I

If superpowers were real: Super Speed
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryGR06dlPf0

If superpowers were real: Invisibility
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-YLJ-pHRhA

If superpowers were real: Body Mass
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpV7DKwcqbk

If superpowers were real: Immortality
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvMiz0-nPxs

Old Post Dec 12th, 2013 06:35 PM
Enzeru is currently offline Click here to Send Enzeru a Private Message Find more posts by Enzeru Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheGodKiller02
True Killer

The thing is that in Marvel at the very least, this sort of stupidity can either by overlooked or ignored at least as far as people with the X-gene are concerned, seeing how the Celestials designed it to have reality warping functions per Galacta.

Old Post Dec 12th, 2013 06:40 PM
TheGodKiller02 is currently offline Click here to Send TheGodKiller02 a Private Message Find more posts by TheGodKiller02 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
One Big Mob
Dead

Superman already got KO'ed by a nova.
If Superman gets KOed by a nova in comics, then more than half the people here do as well. A supernova though...

Old Post Dec 12th, 2013 06:48 PM
One Big Mob is currently offline Click here to Send One Big Mob a Private Message Find more posts by One Big Mob Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Iron-man

Some of them might just live due to their immortality like Juggernaut, Thanos when Death doesn't want to die, Captain Marvel in post crisis due to his magical regeneration. Superman is probably going to get amped by a super nova IMO.

Realistically none of them should, but they will surivie because comics.

Old Post Dec 13th, 2013 01:15 AM
Iron-man is currently offline Click here to Send Iron-man a Private Message Find more posts by Iron-man Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eaebiakuya

But Thanos survived against a Black Hole, Planet Explosions (one of then KOed a guy who withstand a Star Explosion), Skyfathers attacks...cant see why a Supernova would "realistically" kill him.

Old Post Dec 13th, 2013 01:50 AM
eaebiakuya is currently offline Click here to Send eaebiakuya a Private Message Find more posts by eaebiakuya Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
abhilegend
Prince of All Saiyans

I would like to point out that Supes never took a 50x supernova to the face:
http://i.imgur.com/asxKmH4.jpg
The absolute most you could argue is that he withstood the electromagnetic shockwave generated by the explosion-- but the radiation itself(the particularly dangerous part of the blast) never actually touched him before he was saved. If it had, Supes would have been "incinerated."

That said, I do believe he can survive a supernova. He's certainly not going to tank it, mind you... But he would survive.

_______

As for Torch, it's like others have said: the heat wouldn't hurt him(he's withstood Planck temperature, after all), but the shockwaves/planetary debris and so forth would probably kill him.

He absolutely did, he was at the center when entropy bomb went off and he was blasted back.

Old Post Dec 13th, 2013 03:11 AM
abhilegend is currently offline Click here to Send abhilegend a Private Message Find more posts by abhilegend Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
abhilegend
Prince of All Saiyans

Originally posted by Q99
That wasn't a supernova, that was a normal star.

Oh yea, that's another thing- comics do call any star exploding a 'supernova'. 90% of the time, it really would just be a normal nova. Much smaller and more reasonable.

That sun eater had absorbed energy of several suns and it all imploded as he was at the center of sun eater. It was more than a sun getting supernova.

Old Post Dec 13th, 2013 03:15 AM
abhilegend is currently offline Click here to Send abhilegend a Private Message Find more posts by abhilegend Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote