KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » The Rock Tweets about possible big DC/WB project

The Rock Tweets about possible big DC/WB project
Started by: Golgo13

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (7): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
I-Drop
Privateer

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Golgo13
John Stewart is the best choice and will/could rejuvenate the GL franchise on film.
Originally posted by DARTH POWER
I also agree that John Stewart would help give a GL movie that more serious tone. Reynolds "charm" and "funny man" routine really didn't help that movie, and just aided in it being more cheesy and less of a serious movie.

Plus yes I-Drop is right that Stewart was more widely recognized thanks to the JL and JLU series.
Ditto. I've been saying it since b4 the movie came out in the GL movie thread

Originally posted by -Pr-
I don't agree about the GL stuff at all, but fair enough.
That's understandable. You're a fan of the comics & also a fan of Hal. Take that out of the equation & look at it as a movie exec who wants to get that GA money(the money that matters the absolute most. Comic fanbase simply isn't big enough to sustain a franchise). John's got the most pros & the fewest cons out of all the GLs.

Old Post Mar 13th, 2014 09:43 PM
I-Drop is currently offline Click here to Send I-Drop a Private Message Find more posts by I-Drop Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by I-Drop
Ditto. I've been saying it since b4 the movie came out in the GL movie thread

That's understandable. You're a fan of the comics & also a fan of Hal. Take that out of the equation & look at it as a movie exec who wants to get that GA money(the money that matters the absolute most. Comic fanbase simply isn't big enough to sustain a franchise). John's got the most pros & the fewest cons out of all the GLs.

Huh? I'm a fan of most of the mediums DC does stuff in, not just comics. John even used to be my favourite GL.

I don't agree, tbh. Is he more recognised due to animated shows? Sure.

That in itself isn't enough, though.

Look at someone like say, Aquaman. If they were going to adapt him for a movie and stuck to cartoons for their inspiration, he'd either be a corny, useless outside of water guy with fishy friends. Or, he'd be a long-haired, bearded badass with a hook hand.

Yet DC wouldn't make either. They'd go with the current, most badass version of the character because that's the one they want to portray on screen.

With GL, they could go with Hal, John, Guy or Kyle. They all have their pluses and minuses. John has just as many as the others, imo.

Would I hate seeing John as GL? No. Of course not. I'd just prefer Hal.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Mar 13th, 2014 10:03 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
I-Drop
Privateer

Understood.

What DC wants to push isn't always best. The GL movie proves that. After Hal's film flopping so hard, WB needs to call an audible on this one.

I really don't see John having any cons for GA consumption that aren't intrinsic to all the Earth GLs.

John's pros:
Most positive exposure to the GA.
More suitable look for live action. No silly green domino mask.
Provides most distance from Hal's film.
Adds diversity and solves Cyborg "problem".

John's cons:??

Hal's pros:??
Hal's cons:
Extremely negative exposure. Hal's film was a critical& financial failure.
Look isn't ideal for live action.
Unlikely that any big names will want a role that even Reynolds doesn't want anymore.

Guy's pros:
Look is more suitable for live action.
Provides some distance from Hal's film.

Guy's cons:
Not much GA exposure.

Kyle's pros:??
Kyle's cons:
Look can easily be confused with Hal.
Look isn't ideal for live action.
Minimal exposure to GA

If anybody sees it differently, please elaborate

Last edited by I-Drop on Mar 20th, 2014 at 05:22 PM

Old Post Mar 20th, 2014 05:18 PM
I-Drop is currently offline Click here to Send I-Drop a Private Message Find more posts by I-Drop Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

John has as many cons as the others, if not more.

First, if they want to do him justice at all, he's going to be the most expensive lantern to use due to how his constructs work.

Second, his origin story. It's awful, so needs massive re-working.

Third, there's the "Cyborg problem" as you called it. It can be as much a negative as a positive, imo, especially seeing as, with Hal having had exposure before (hell, people still remember Super Friends) John could easily just be seen as a "black Hal Jordan", which would suck. I know the Justice League is pretty white. I know that they need to add some diversity. But if they're going to involve John, at least put some merit to it.

Or are we supposed to believe that they're solely putting him in because he was the GL in the show? Not for a second, personally.

A mask? Really? You really hate the mask that much?

Why is the "look" not ideal for live action? It's no less silly than any other Lantern's, imo.

Big names would take it in a heartbeat, if the offer was right.

I honestly think John's "exposure" is being drastically overstated, tbh.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2014 05:26 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
I-Drop
Privateer

They can scale back on constructs like in JLU. Have him build only when a blast to the face isn't enough. Focus on a Marine's zest for efficiency. They'll save money by avoiding the silly CGI mask &costume too.

Writers write. They're gonna retool things regardless. These movies always change things w/the intent of making things smoother for the GA.

Hal's flop and complaints from people that they "turned GL white" show that his previous exposure didn't amount to much. John being seen as a black Hal is highly unlikely, especially if they get him right.

We should probably believe they're putting him in because the one they bet on before was an abject failure that lost them a fortune and they want to try something that might make some money this time around. They were gonna use John in JL:Mortal before all of this mess happened.

The concept is a hard enough sell to begin with. You don't want to add silly stuff on top of it. I can't think of any crossover icons who wear that as their only means of disguising their face. We don't have any successful movie franchises that feature it. GLs are space cops. Cops don't wear domino masks. Not even the space ones smile

It's silly looking in live action. The GLs who don't wear them don't look as silly as the ones who do.

You'd have to pay them a flat out ridiculous amount of money. Money that might be better spent on other things.

It's positive &popular &ongoing. Can't say that for the one they chose

Last edited by I-Drop on Mar 24th, 2014 at 12:06 AM

Old Post Mar 24th, 2014 12:02 AM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

They can scale back on constructs like in JLU. Have him build only when a blast to the face isn't enough. Focus on a Marine's zest for efficiency. They'll save money by avoiding the silly CGI mask &costume too.

Writers write. They're gonna retool things regardless. These movies always change things w/the intent of making things smoother for the GA.

Hal's flop and complaints from people that they "turned GL white" show that his previous exposure didn't amount to much. John being seen as a black Hal is highly unlikely, especially if they get him right.

We should probably believe they're putting him in because the one they bet on before was an abject failure that lost them a fortune and they want to try something that might make some money this time around. They were gonna use John in JL:Mortal before all of this mess happened.

The concept is a hard enough sell to begin with. You don't want to add silly stuff on top of it. I can't think of any crossover icons who wear that as their only means of disguising their face. We don't have any successful movie franchises that feature it. GLs are space cops. Cops don't wear domino masks. Not even the space ones smile

It's silly looking in live action. The GLs who don't wear them don't look as silly as the ones who do.

You'd have to pay them a flat out ridiculous amount of money. Money that might be better spent on other things.

It's positive &popular &ongoing. Can't say that for the one they chose

I see where you're coming from in parts, I just honestly disagree with most/all of it.

Either way,

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Mar 25th, 2014 03:00 AM
Senor Cage

quote:
Johnson didn’t limit the discussion to Hercules, as he also tackled his attachment to a couple of storied DC Comics characters. When asked about his long-rumored role as Green Lantern John Stewart, he responded, “So, you know, there’s been mutual interest with myself and DC for many years to find the right character. I, like everyone here in the room, love superheroes. So there’s been mutual interest with us for years, and we’ve been having ongoing discussions, myself and DC, for years about the right character, what the right character would be. That’s another thing, too: It had to be right.”

When pressed for which role he was in talks to play, Johnson cryptically responded with three qualities of the character.

“The first quality we were looking for was that he had to be extremely complex and have a lot going on,” he said. “What that does for me as an actor and the studio is it gives us space that we can explore; his complexities.

“The other quality was that he had to – the character we were looking for had to be well-known but never brought to life. Then what that does again as an actor, it gives me a little bit of space, and we talked about personality. It just gives me a chance to put an imprint into his personality, with the set of tools that I could bring to the table and put a very unique twist on his personality, but still pay homage to who he is.”

“The third thing – and most important – is he had to be a badass mother****er, OK, and on a Superman level of power, where [he] could throw down. In those three qualities, I’m happy we’ve found that character.”

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.c...dc-comics-role/

Old Post Mar 25th, 2014 08:15 PM
Senor Cage is currently offline Click here to Send Senor Cage a Private Message Find more posts by Senor Cage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Senor Cage

And on Twitter he confirmed as well.

quote:
Dwayne Johnson ‏@TheRock 3h

Myself & DC have agreed on a character.. extremely complex, well known (but never played) and a pure BAD ASS MFwink #RockTalk

Old Post Mar 25th, 2014 08:19 PM
Senor Cage is currently offline Click here to Send Senor Cage a Private Message Find more posts by Senor Cage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Mar 25th, 2014 09:09 PM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ShadowFyre

I don't read DC so I can't say much about the characters personality, but The Rock doesn't seem to me like he would be a great choice for Lobo. I think he could make a badass black Adam though.

Old Post Mar 25th, 2014 09:25 PM
ShadowFyre is currently offline Click here to Send ShadowFyre a Private Message Find more posts by ShadowFyre Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

Originally posted by ares834
(please log in to view the image)

Black Adam and Lobo have always gotten my vote when it comes to The Rock playing a comic book character

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Mar 25th, 2014 10:20 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
I-Drop
Privateer

Cool to see that he's got good taste in GLs. Sucks that the "stamp" was so godawful &corny. Still hoping they get Idris or Chiwetel (sp)

Originally posted by -Pr-
I see where you're coming from in parts, I just honestly disagree with most/all of it.

Either way,
Fair enough. Time has a way of proving me right on this type of thing

Old Post Mar 25th, 2014 10:50 PM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Cool to see that he's got good taste in GLs. Sucks that the "stamp" was so godawful &corny. Still hoping they get Idris or Chiwetel (sp)

Fair enough. Time has a way of proving me right on this type of thing

lol, surrrre.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Mar 25th, 2014 10:57 PM
Senor Cage

Both black adam and lobo arent well known. Plus lobo isnt conplex.

Old Post Mar 25th, 2014 11:33 PM
Femi32

I hope The Rock is Black Adam. Outside of Henry Cavill, no one casted as a hero or villain in Batman vs. Superman seems visually inspired by the role. The Rock would change that as Black Adam.

Old Post Mar 26th, 2014 03:13 AM
Femi32 is currently offline Click here to Send Femi32 a Private Message Find more posts by Femi32 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

Originally posted by Femi32
I hope The Rock is Black Adam. Outside of Henry Cavill, no one casted as a hero or villain in Batman vs. Superman seems visually inspired by the role. The Rock would change that as Black Adam.

and put the BADASS back in badass

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Mar 26th, 2014 04:48 AM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
pym-ftw
Mizukage

Rock will be John, Idk why people are having a hard time with this.

Why else would he tweet out about GL>Supes(paraphrased).

I'm not Joking, Boy
Ignore list: Abhi for the sake of the forum.
53>6.6
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GCAMfDmX86o
My YouTube

Old Post Mar 26th, 2014 06:15 AM
pym-ftw is currently offline Click here to Send pym-ftw a Private Message Find more posts by pym-ftw Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Senor Cage

Originally posted by pym-ftw
Rock will be John, Idk why people are having a hard time with this.

Why else would he tweet out about GL>Supes(paraphrased).

Rock said it won't be GL and John isn't well known.

Old Post Mar 26th, 2014 06:19 AM
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Originally posted by Golgo13
Rock said it won't be GL and John isn't well known.

He is well known for those people who watched the Justice League Animated series

but it seems your thinking of the GA.

So Hal Jordan gets scrutinized by you but Kyle gets a pass?

he too wears a mask of sorts.

Old Post Mar 26th, 2014 07:07 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Senor Cage

Originally posted by Kazenji
He is well known for those people who watched the Justice League Animated series

but it seems your thinking of the GA.

So Hal Jordan gets scrutinized by you but Kyle gets a pass?

he too wears a mask of sorts.

I'm thinking Rock meant with the GA. He already stated GL won't be it. It's a character who hasn't appeared yet.

I hope I'm wrong. I'd like him to be John Stewart.

Old Post Mar 26th, 2014 07:11 AM