KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » TV Talk Forum » Black Sails

Black Sails
Started by: Arachnid1

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « 1 [2] 3 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Arachnid1

I've heard season 2 and on of this show get damn epic, so I'm giving it another chance. I've seen plenty of shows that had meh first seasons but hit their stride season 2 and on (Vikings, Hannibal).

I'm actually appreciating it more this time around. Calico Jack is a fun character, so he's grown on me more. Vane has grown on me more too because of his badass voice, but I still don't like the way his dude looks. Maybe he'd be better if he grew out a beard or something.

John Silver seems to be my favorite in this show. Resourceful kid, and he has a charisma for days.

PWNT

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2017 12:19 AM
Arachnid1 is currently offline Click here to Send Arachnid1 a Private Message Find more posts by Arachnid1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

It does improve, I'm on the final season with only a few more eps to go. If you like pirates, action and drama, I recommend it.

It's somewhat comparable to Spartacus, but with much better writing, acting and instead of a plethora of bare-naked-dicks, we get a decent amount of girl-on-girl action.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2017 12:43 AM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arachnid1

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Robtard
It does improve, I'm on the final season with only a few more eps to go. If you like pirates, action and drama, I recommend it.

It's somewhat comparable to Spartacus, but with much better writing, acting and instead of a plethora of bare-naked-dicks, we get a decent amount of girl-on-girl action.
I've seen more dicks than I've seen vaj's so far in season 1. Three pairs of boobs so far, one vaj (somewhat obstructed), and two full on dicks. It's been leaning more towards girls obviously, but it's had its fair share of dudes for Neme. Plus, the girls you see are mostly irrelevant. The guys you see are central pirates

PWNT

Last edited by Arachnid1 on Mar 3rd, 2017 at 03:43 AM

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2017 03:33 AM
Arachnid1 is currently offline Click here to Send Arachnid1 a Private Message Find more posts by Arachnid1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

I've watched this all the way up until the most recent episode. Solid show overall, with the occasional slow episode. One thing that I enjoy about the show is how it blends historical and fictional elements together. I really dislike Flint though. If anyone deserves to get shot in the face with a cannon, it's him.

Last edited by TheVaultDweller on Mar 3rd, 2017 at 05:33 AM

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2017 05:31 AM
TheVaultDweller is currently offline Click here to Send TheVaultDweller a Private Message Find more posts by TheVaultDweller Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arachnid1

Originally posted by TheVaultDweller
I've watched this all the way up until the most recent episode. Solid show overall, with the occasional slow episode. One thing that I enjoy about the show is how it blends historical and fictional elements together. I really dislike Flint though. If anyone deserves to get shot in the face with a cannon, it's him.
Yeah, I've been starting to get that as times gone on. Dude is in it for himself 100%, and has screwed over his crew time and time again.

Then again, he's a pirate lol. I'm ok with it. It brings more drama. He's so damn well acted too. He's a tool, but a likable one, similar to Jaime Lannister

PWNT

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2017 05:40 AM
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

Originally posted by Arachnid1
Yeah, I've been starting to get that as times gone on. Dude is in it for himself 100%, and has screwed over his crew time and time again.

Then again, he's a pirate lol. I'm ok with it. It brings more drama. He's so damn well acted too. He's a tool, but a likable one, similar to Jaime Lannister

I prefer Silver and Rackham for my "likable tool" characters. Because they can be awful when necessary, but do so without making me want to punch them. Silver also has the most growth and character development out of everyone, IMO. If you compare him in S1 to S4, there is a huge difference. Still has that same devious, clever mind, but all the shit he has been through has made him much tougher as well. Billy Bones is almost too much of a boy scout.

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2017 06:32 AM
TheVaultDweller is currently offline Click here to Send TheVaultDweller a Private Message Find more posts by TheVaultDweller Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Martian_mind
telepathy+debates+=Pwned

This is probably my favourite show on tv atm, though I'm glad it's wrapping up soon. Better to end on a high than drag on too long. Woodes Rogers is the GOAT.

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2017 10:35 AM
Martian_mind is currently offline Click here to Send Martian_mind a Private Message Find more posts by Martian_mind Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

Yeah, the last few episodes in particular showed why you do not f*** with that guy.

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2017 12:11 PM
Martian_mind
telepathy+debates+=Pwned

thumb up

Hell, he cemented that fact in season 3. I still can't believe he walked away from that carriage crash.

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2017 12:29 PM
Martian_mind is currently offline Click here to Send Martian_mind a Private Message Find more posts by Martian_mind Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

Well, I was thinking more recent events, specifically [SPOILER - highlight to read]: how he punked Teach and his crew, despite the overwhelming odds against Woodes. And then convincing people who are technically his enemies to help fight his war for him.

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2017 01:38 PM
Martian_mind
telepathy+debates+=Pwned

The [SPOILER - highlight to read]: Teach ownage was awesome , and definitely showed how dangerous and resourceful he can be. I think season 3 hinted at it perfectly. His conversation with Rackham, and his fight with Vane, really gave you the sense that Woodes was every bit the Pirates equal.

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2017 04:47 PM
Arachnid1

I just finished episode 11 in season two, so I cant quite join the above discussion just yet. Soon though.

That said, in regards to episode XI, what a fking waste.

[SPOILER - highlight to read]: Edward Low was one of the most viscous pirates to ever live. He and Vane are probably top dogs in the "evil" pirate category, since Blackbeards wrongs are mostly myth to instill fear. Low was also one of the only pirates to survive the pirate age, so I assumed the show would kill him eventually since that affords them that freedom. Just not before he was properly used. He accomplished much in his short time on the sea, and there are fking tons of interesting stories surrounding the terrible things he's done. If they translated those stories to film, and even had him perform some of those acts on central characters, his death would have resonated as well as seasons long sadist type villains like Joffrey or Ramsey.

This show killing him off after 3 episodes was lame. Sure, Vane is my favorite pirate, and it was a badass showing for him, but they could have done so much more with Low. He could have been a season (or two) long villain if used properly. The actor they got for him was great too. He knocked the sociopathic monologues out of the park, and he played the fun wildcard role that Vane used to fulfill perfectly. He seemed to actually instill fear into Eleanor too, which is the only time I've seen that happen so far. I had no idea where the story with him was going, unlike every other character. That was too premature, and sucked out half the interest this season drummed out for me.

I'm still enjoying the second season more than the first though, so there's that.

PWNT

Old Post Mar 4th, 2017 12:38 AM
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

Well, the show takes some liberties with historical fact, the time line etc. due to the fact that they have to blend it into the Treasure Island time line, as well as incorporate those fictional characters into the narrative. So, not everything occurs as it did historically.

Old Post Mar 4th, 2017 04:53 AM
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

I just finished episode 11 in season two, so I cant quite join the above discussion just yet. Soon though.

Yeah, Rogers comes in at the beginning of S3, IIRC. And he shows rather quickly that he is going to be extremely difficult for the pirates to deal with. It's actually one of the really good elements of this show. They have a main endgame "villain" (I put that word in quotes, seeing as he is technically fighting for law and order) that is genuinely formidable, and a serious force to be reckoned with.

Old Post Mar 4th, 2017 06:56 AM
Arachnid1

Originally posted by TheVaultDweller
Well, the show takes some liberties with historical fact, the time line etc. due to the fact that they have to blend it into the Treasure Island time line, as well as incorporate those fictional characters into the narrative. So, not everything occurs as it did historically.

Yeah, Rogers comes in at the beginning of S3, IIRC. And he shows rather quickly that he is going to be extremely difficult for the pirates to deal with. It's actually one of the really good elements of this show. They have a main endgame "villain" (I put that word in quotes, seeing as he is technically fighting for law and order) that is genuinely formidable, and a serious force to be reckoned with.
Yeah, I'm alright with that. I guess I just got too hyped for Low. I almost cheered for the possibilities when they said his name in the show and I realized who he was lol. It's alright though. They've got tons of real life famous pirates to use in the future, so I'm sure there will be no shortage of great new characters. I just have a thing for intelligent, sociopathic villains.

I already got spoiled on who that character you're talking about is due to a promo and also accidentally saw a picture of [SPOILER - highlight to read]: Vane with a noose around his neck when I was deciding whether or not to try to watch this show again. Rogers should be fun though, looking forward to that.

Does Bartholomew Roberts ever show up? He's the only real big one I can think of who I've seen no mention of.

PWNT

Last edited by Arachnid1 on Mar 4th, 2017 at 07:26 AM

Old Post Mar 4th, 2017 07:22 AM
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

Yeah, I'm alright with that. I guess I just got too hyped for Low. I almost cheered for the possibilities when they said his name in the show and I realized who he was lol. It's alright though. They've got tons of real life famous pirates to use in the future, so I'm sure there will be no shortage of great new characters. I just have a thing for intelligent, sociopathic villains.

I already got spoiled on who that character you're talking about is due to a promo and also accidentally saw a picture of [SPOILER - highlight to read]: Vane with a noose around his neck when I was deciding whether or not to try to watch this show again. Rogers should be fun though, looking forward to that.

Does Bartholomew Roberts ever show up? He's the only real big one I can think of who I've seen no mention of.

I don't recall any mention of Roberts. Another one they chose to leave out (at least so far) is Mary Read, even though Rackham and Bonny play such prominent roles in the show. But I am not too bothered about some omissions/changes. I look at the Black Sails/Treasure Island verse as being a sort of alternative time line, so things don't necessarily have to occur the same way they did historically.

Old Post Mar 4th, 2017 08:45 AM
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

Even though [SPOILER - highlight to read]: the Spanish technically won the day, I feel like the pirates still came out the better. The forces of Spain wrecked any existing infrastructure that could have helped them maintain a position there for an extended period of time. And that is assuming they even stay after raising most of the island.

Also, other than Madi, all the key players on the pirate side managed to make it out, despite the odds against them. And now they have a ton of fresh forces to boot. Not sure how Madi's death will affect her mother though.

So, Rogers' decisions obliterated the thing he was supposed to govern, his wife (and unborn child) is dead, and the only sizable military force on his side has no real obligation or loyalty to him. Neither he nor the Spanish got the treasure back either. Not to mention he pissed Max off, so he might end up with the Guthries coming after him as well now, if she and Jack can reach them.

All in all, not looking good for Woodes.

Old Post Mar 5th, 2017 07:47 PM
Arachnid1

God damn the season 2 finale was something special. Best episode of the series so far, and it elevated this show to one of my favorites. Season 2 in general was damn good. Pretty hyped for season 3 now. I'm glad I got on this late so I could binge it all.

PWNT

Old Post Mar 6th, 2017 03:08 PM
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

God damn the season 2 finale was something special. Best episode of the series so far, and it elevated this show to one of my favorites. Season 2 in general was damn good. Pretty hyped for season 3 now. I'm glad I got on this late so I could binge it all.

Season 3 also has a pretty spectacular final episode. Every season finale has been good so far, IMO.

Old Post Mar 6th, 2017 08:30 PM
Martian_mind
telepathy+debates+=Pwned

I just saw the Ep where [SPOILER - highlight to read]: Silver betrays Billy. It pretty much cements [SPOILER - highlight to read]: Israel Hand as the most dominant fighter in the series. Totally OP.

Old Post Mar 12th, 2017 11:37 PM