KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » TV Talk Forum » Black Sails

Black Sails
Started by: Arachnid1

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « First ... « 2 3 [4]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Martian_mind
telepathy+debates+=Pwned

I have no issues with the lack of historical accuracy. The show has never been about keeping faithful to history, and that attitude rightly extended to Treasure Island. I think they were more concerned with telling an epic story, which they certainly did. What I really liked:

1) The final battle. Awesomely executed.
2) Rogers defeat. The way it paralleled his conquering of Blackbeard was masterful, and showcased just how dangerous the man really was. Since his first appearance, he was one genius against at least seven others, and he stretched all of them to their absolute limit.
3) Flint is the King, as far as combat was concerned. He destroyed Israel as easily as he defeated Billy.
4) Flint's end works far better than his ending in Treasure Island. IIRC, he drank himself to death, yet the character we were given could never fall into such a self-pitying end. Having the love of his life returned to him would be the only thing that could calm him.
5) Silver's ending was weak, and really undermined his character.
6) Roger's really should have won. If he'd ever acquired a partner half as competent and consistent as he was, the war would have been over in weeks.

Last edited by Martian_mind on Apr 20th, 2017 at 09:20 AM

Old Post Apr 20th, 2017 09:12 AM
Martian_mind is currently offline Click here to Send Martian_mind a Private Message Find more posts by Martian_mind Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Is this show good?

Old Post Mar 17th, 2020 12:34 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
Is this show good?

Depends.

Are you a masochist?

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Mar 17th, 2020 12:54 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

That bad, huh?

Well, I thought that maybe a show about pirates would be fun. Some good swashbuckling fun... not the case?

Old Post Mar 17th, 2020 01:16 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

I liked it for the most part, but it is by no means perfect. One of the main issues is it can be very slow moving at times. Certain plot points drag on for longer than is necessary or engaging to the viewer. It had some really great characters though. Woodes Rogers is the GOAT.

Old Post Mar 17th, 2020 02:26 PM
TheVaultDweller is currently offline Click here to Send TheVaultDweller a Private Message Find more posts by TheVaultDweller Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

Also, some of the scenes can be pretty brutal. A particularly notable example is the keelhauling of [SPOILER - highlight to read]: Blackbeard.

Old Post Mar 17th, 2020 02:47 PM
TheVaultDweller is currently offline Click here to Send TheVaultDweller a Private Message Find more posts by TheVaultDweller Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by TheVaultDweller
I liked it for the most part, but it is by no means perfect. One of the main issues is it can be very slow moving at times. Certain plot points drag on for longer than is necessary or engaging to the viewer. It had some really great characters though. Woodes Rogers is the GOAT.

Pretty much agree with this. It was all-in-all, an entertaining show, despite the dips in story/plots.

I've considered re-watching it. But I have so many new shows, not sure I want to give up that time.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Mar 17th, 2020 07:57 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

Originally posted by Robtard
Pretty much agree with this. It was all-in-all, an entertaining show, despite the dips in story/plots.

I've considered re-watching it. But I have so many new shows, not sure I want to give up that time.

Yeah, I've considered rewatching it myself. But, as you said, there are a lot of other things to watch at the moment. Beyond still finishing up things like Altered Carbon S2, I finally got around to starting on Peaky Blinders (I'm a bit late to the party there, by like 5 seasons lol), which has been pretty good so far. And, IIRC, Black Sails didn't exactly have anyone's idea of short episodes.

Old Post Mar 18th, 2020 03:43 AM
Robtard
Senor Member

I juts finished Altered S2. I gave up on Peaky after season 3, iirc. Was good, but went to shit.

Black Sails is 38 episodes, they're all around an hour long, some are 70-75mins iirc. So that'd be a commitment for a re-watch.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Mar 19th, 2020 04:25 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote