KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Music Discussion » Top 25 goat rappers.

Top 25 goat rappers.
Started by: LeonBuco666

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
AsbestosFlaygon
The Original One

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Tzeentch
No love for Aesop Rock ITT?

Yeah. One of the most underrated in the scene.

There's an interesting study by Matt Daniels about the extent of vocabulary of hip hop artists.

http://rappers.mdaniels.com.s3-webs....amazonaws.com/

I haven't heard of any of GZA's songs yet, but I'm sure they're sick as well.

"Farewell, Damos... Ash, Pikachu... And you. All of my beloved." -- Arceus

Old Post Nov 12th, 2014 05:07 PM
AsbestosFlaygon is currently offline Click here to Send AsbestosFlaygon a Private Message Find more posts by AsbestosFlaygon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

2Pac below ICP? Damn that's embarrassing.

Lol, DMX don't need your fancy words, just barking.

Edit: Where the hell is Killer Mike on that list?

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Nov 15th, 2014 11:12 PM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

Originally posted by Omega Vision
2Pac below ICP? Damn that's embarrassing.
As is the "lyrical wordsmith", lol.

Old Post Nov 16th, 2014 12:16 AM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision

I don't consider myself well-listened enough to actually create a decent top 10 list, but here are my ten favorites:

1. Killer Mike
2. DMX
3. El-P
4. Despot
5. Himanshu Suri ("Heems")
6. Method Man
7. Waka Flocka Flame
8. Lil Dicky
9. Duckwrth
10. Aesop Rock

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Last edited by Omega Vision on Jan 10th, 2015 at 06:03 PM

Old Post Jan 10th, 2015 06:01 PM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

wheres Del ?

Old Post Jan 25th, 2015 09:48 AM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision

http://lab.musixmatch.com/largest_vocabulary/

This seems to have some very different results from the other study. For instance, Tupac and Eminem are considered much higher, and if this one is accurate, Eminem would actually have a wider vocabulary than Aesop Rock, which I don't believe for a second.

Old Post Jul 25th, 2015 01:20 PM
BlueFnord

Rakim left off of the OP's list . Stopped there .

Old Post Nov 25th, 2016 04:16 PM
BlueFnord is currently offline Click here to Send BlueFnord a Private Message Find more posts by BlueFnord Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
socool8520
Life's a garden, Dig it

Originally posted by Insomniatric
Tupac and Biggie are so overrated that it's not even funny, really. Infinite, Reasonable Doubt, and Illmatic are much better than anything they ever made.

Not a Tupac fan eh? He's my personal favorite but I can see where you drew your conclusion. Nas is definitely more clever lyrically, but I don't think there is another rapper that can hang with the raw emotion that Tupac put in his songs. I also liked the storytelling in his songs. Trapped, Brenda's Got a Baby, and Wonder why They Call you B**** come to mind.

Old Post Mar 10th, 2017 06:24 PM
socool8520 is currently offline Click here to Send socool8520 a Private Message Find more posts by socool8520 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

I do not have nearly the required knowledge to list the 25 greatest of all time rappers, so I'll just list my ten favorite, in no particular order, with the caveat that the first listed is my favorite.

1. Tech N9ne
2. Eminem
3. Hopsin
4. Biggie
5. Ice Cube
6. Immortal Technique
7. Bone Thugs-n-Harmony
8. Lupe Fiasco
9. NWA
10. Kool Keith

Old Post May 31st, 2017 03:57 PM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

This goat killz it...

Old Post May 31st, 2017 11:08 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

Originally posted by NemeBro
I do not have nearly the required knowledge to list the 25 greatest of all time rappers, so I'll just list my ten favorite, in no particular order, with the caveat that the first listed is my favorite.

1. Tech N9ne
2. Eminem
3. Hopsin
4. Biggie
5. Ice Cube
6. Immortal Technique
7. Bone Thugs-n-Harmony
8. Lupe Fiasco
9. NWA
10. Kool Keith

Whew lad, list has changed as I've gotten more hot knowledge.

1. Tech N9ne
2. Eminem
3. Biggie
4. Nas
5. Joyner Lucas
6. Kendrick Lamar
7. Big Pun
8. Lupe Fiasco
9. Bone Thugs-n-Harmony
10. Hopsin (just barely, serious love/hate relationship with this ****er)

Old Post Aug 29th, 2017 08:39 PM
Kento
The last Hokage

Whew lad, list has changed as I've gotten more hot knowledge.

1. Tech N9ne
2. Eminem
3. Biggie
4. Nas
5. Joyner Lucas
6. Kendrick Lamar
7. Big Pun
8. Lupe Fiasco
9. Bone Thugs-n-Harmony
10. Hopsin (just barely, serious love/hate relationship with this ****er)
You dropped off Tech? You don't have Lowkey? And here I use to like you Neme. laughing

Though on my top ten cause 25 is away too many

1. Lowkey
2. Nas
3. Tupac
4. Emeniem
5. Royce Da 5'9
6. Joell Ortiz
7. Dumbfoundead
9. Hopsin
10. Pumpkinhead

Old Post Aug 31st, 2017 02:25 AM
Kento is currently offline Click here to Send Kento a Private Message Find more posts by Kento Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

Originally posted by Kento
You dropped off Tech? You don't have Lowkey? And here I use to like you Neme. laughing

Though on my top ten cause 25 is away too many

1. Lowkey
2. Nas
3. Tupac
4. Emeniem
5. Royce Da 5'9
6. Joell Ortiz
7. Dumbfoundead
9. Hopsin
10. Pumpkinhead
Actually, to be honest I probably would swap Bone Thugs for Immortal Technique come to think of it. He has some problems and I don't think quite as highly of him as I used to, but I still really like him.

Got anything on this literally who nigga Lowkey? A song you'd say represents his style well?

Old Post Aug 31st, 2017 06:20 AM
Kento
The last Hokage

Actually, to be honest I probably would swap Bone Thugs for Immortal Technique come to think of it. He has some problems and I don't think quite as highly of him as I used to, but I still really like him.

Got anything on this literally who nigga Lowkey? A song you'd say represents his style well?
I'm surprised that if you know who Immortal Technique is you don't know Lowkey, I found out about Lowkey because of Voice of the Voiceless where they rapped together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToZUIdbgqjE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2rLdoLyitw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3_2hJfhwro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmBnvajSfWU

Old Post Aug 31st, 2017 04:49 PM
Kento is currently offline Click here to Send Kento a Private Message Find more posts by Kento Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Inhuman
|||||||||||||||||

How are you guys rating your top 5?

Is it just how popular they were?
Or lyrical skill, flow, content, delivery, etc?
Combo of both?

Last edited by Inhuman on Aug 31st, 2017 at 05:13 PM

Old Post Aug 31st, 2017 05:03 PM
Inhuman is currently offline Click here to Send Inhuman a Private Message Find more posts by Inhuman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kento
The last Hokage

Originally posted by Inhuman

Combo of both?
Mainly content, lyrical skill, and if they have done anything that has meaning to me.

Old Post Aug 31st, 2017 05:42 PM
NemeBro

Originally posted by Inhuman

Combo of both?
Me personally no, popularity means almost nothing. If I cared about popularity a relative unknown (though he's been getting more buzz recently) like Joyner Lucas wouldn't come anywhere near my list.

Big Pun also likely wouldn't make my list, because for some reason people seem to have forgotten he is an A-tier rapper, one of the all time greats up there with Pac and Biggie, since his death.

Anyway, it's based purely on how well they appeal to me. As for what appeals to me personally, I'm something of a backpacking fuccboi who really likes technical rappers, technical skill being length and density of rhymes, voice, flow, etc. Speed also plays a factor, though a rapper can be fast without being technical. Tech N9ne is the best example of this IMO, with highly advanced rhyme schemes, appealing and varied cadences, and probably the best and most versatile flow of any rapper I've ever heard. Eminem and Big Pun are also highly technical rappers, and the others on my list aren't too far from them. Here's a song from Big Pun (featuring Fat Joe) called Twinz that exemplifies some of what I'm talking about :

In particular, the couplet at the end of Big Pun's first verse is amazing.

"Dead in the middle of Little Italy little did we know
that we riddled some middleman who didn't do diddily"

This is a hot as **** couplet in terms of the rhyming, and his almost breathless flow and delivery really appeal to me.

I do value lyricism though, which is to say, emotional depth and ability to paint a vivid picture and say something with meaning. Every rapper on my list can do this, but it's largely the reason Joyner Lucas is on the list.

These are two of the most heartbreaking and intense songs I've ever heard, though they aren't particularly technical compared to Twinz for example. Which isn't to say that Joyner can't be technical either. His slaughtering of Future's Mask Off shows this:

Lucas' flow, rhyme schemes, and delivery are on point in this song, and he spits one of the fastest verses of his career during it.

Content does play a role, yeah. Part of why Tech N9ne is my favorite rapper is his darker (relative to most mainstream rap anyway) content. I'm also something of a horrorcore fan, but far too much horrorcore focuses on style over substance, which is to say they get the feel and look right, but they don't have the technical or lyrical chops to support it most of the time. Rappers that can, such as Tech N9ne (who admittedly isn't super horrorcore, especially these days), Eminem, Bone Thug, or Brotha Lynch Hung (who didn't make my list but I am a fan), as such appeal to me greatly.

You also forget an important aspect of hip hop: beats! Boring, annoying bad, or unfitting beats can ruin songs. It's not the most important thing to me, but it does matter.

Old Post Sep 1st, 2017 03:28 AM
NemeBro

Originally posted by Kento
I'm surprised that if you know who Immortal Technique is you don't know Lowkey, I found out about Lowkey because of Voice of the Voiceless where they rapped together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToZUIdbgqjE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2rLdoLyitw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3_2hJfhwro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmBnvajSfWU
Will check these out later and tell you how I felt about them my man.

Old Post Sep 1st, 2017 03:29 AM
TheHulk
Retired Debater

I can only give my top 5 as the rest are interchangeable

1)Rakim
2)Biggie
3)Pac
4)Em(favorite)
5)Nas

WORD LIFE!!!

Old Post Sep 1st, 2017 12:46 PM
TheHulk is currently offline Click here to Send TheHulk a Private Message Find more posts by TheHulk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kento
The last Hokage

Will check these out later and tell you how I felt about them my man.
thumb up

Old Post Sep 1st, 2017 05:29 PM