KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » TV Talk Forum » True Detective

True Detective
Started by: Robtard

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (11): « First ... « 8 9 [10] 11 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

Yeah, I got that vibe too, not sure if that's what Pizzalato was going for though.

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Aug 10th, 2015 05:45 PM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

quote: (post)
Originally posted by LordofBrooklyn
The finale saved the season.

They played on the emotions throught and it seemed they would actually make it out unscathed.

Season 1 as a bar is too high of a standard to go by. When I watch the first season it is perfection from the beginning to the end.

how exactly did it save the season?

Originally posted by marwash22
I'm actually gonna watch this entire season over again. Maybe it will be more satisfying and cohesive when binge-watched in it's entirety.

if it is then let me know and i might do the same

Thanks Steve... The Darkside of the force...

Old Post Aug 10th, 2015 06:46 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision

I wouldn't say that it saved the season. It was better than I feared it might be, but it wasn't as solid an episode altogether as episode 7 was.

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Aug 10th, 2015 08:10 PM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LordofBrooklyn

Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
how exactly did it save the season?

In the episodes before they would play on emotions but get diverted because of the depth of the story. When Farrell is with his father you expect a sign of what he will be with his son. McAdams waivering from ice-queen, serial sexer, and damaged woman is also only broached in minor terms.

The Finale allowed everything that was hinted at to come to fruition. It was Farrell's dedication as a father outside of ego and even paternity that compelled him to say goodbye. He was worthy the same way his father was. McAdams wasn't some machine that has sex on occasion but a woman looking for love and being capable of giving it as well.

The execution of the scenes was great as well. Even when you saw what was coming; there was still a glimmer of hope that you could cling to mixed with the anxiety.

Old Post Aug 10th, 2015 11:29 PM
LordofBrooklyn is currently offline Click here to Send LordofBrooklyn a Private Message Find more posts by LordofBrooklyn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Supreme Snoke

Disappointing season.

Old Post Aug 11th, 2015 01:45 AM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LordofBrooklyn

Originally posted by quanchi112
Disappointing season.

You fail at TV as well.

Old Post Aug 11th, 2015 02:16 AM
LordofBrooklyn is currently offline Click here to Send LordofBrooklyn a Private Message Find more posts by LordofBrooklyn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Supreme Snoke

You fail at TV as well.
I liked the first season far better so compared to its predecessor it's disappointing. I guess you liked the second season better somehow. And yet you say I fail at TV. Irony.

laughing out loud

Old Post Aug 11th, 2015 02:21 AM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LordofBrooklyn

I liked the first season far better so compared to its predecessor it's disappointing. I guess you liked the second season better somehow. And yet you say I fail at TV. Irony.

laughing out loud

From the first minute of the 2nd season I resigned myself not to judge it by the first season. Rational people like I, Lordofbrooklyn, know it is better to allow a work to stand on its own.

Old Post Aug 11th, 2015 02:59 AM
quanchi112
Supreme Snoke

From the first minute of the 2nd season I resigned myself not to judge it by the first season. Rational people like I, Lordofbrooklyn, know it is better to allow a work to stand on its own.
That's like saying don't hold Star Wars to a higher standard or this show. I hold certain products and brands to a higher standard. I was let down whereas you loved it. That's fine.

Old Post Aug 11th, 2015 03:16 AM
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

In the episodes before they would play on emotions but get diverted because of the depth of the story. When Farrell is with his father you expect a sign of what he will be with his son. McAdams waivering from ice-queen, serial sexer, and damaged woman is also only broached in minor terms.

The Finale allowed everything that was hinted at to come to fruition. It was Farrell's dedication as a father outside of ego and even paternity that compelled him to say goodbye. He was worthy the same way his father was. McAdams wasn't some machine that has sex on occasion but a woman looking for love and being capable of giving it as well.

The execution of the scenes was great as well. Even when you saw what was coming; there was still a glimmer of hope that you could cling to mixed with the anxiety.

thanks

Thanks Steve... The Darkside of the force...

Old Post Aug 11th, 2015 03:52 AM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LordofBrooklyn

That's like saying don't hold Star Wars to a higher standard or this show. I hold certain products and brands to a higher standard. I was let down whereas you loved it. That's fine.

The only thing one should enter a work of fiction with as a consumer is the suspension of disbelief. Anything besides that is an impediment toward enjoying the work.

The first season of TRUE DETECTIVE is one of the greatest seasons in the history of the medium. Expecting a repeat or even more a superior work in season 2 is an unreasonable standard.

Old Post Aug 11th, 2015 04:03 AM
Martian_mind
telepathy+debates+=Pwned

I maintain that Vaughn was the best part of this season. Frank's final, defiant march was brilliant, and tragic as ****.

Old Post Aug 11th, 2015 11:32 AM
Martian_mind is currently offline Click here to Send Martian_mind a Private Message Find more posts by Martian_mind Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Well, season 2 was a bit bland on the whole. Good acting comeback by Vaughn, liked McAdams.

Old Post Aug 18th, 2015 09:16 AM
queeq is currently offline Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stringer
Hai

Had no chance from the beginning. Shit story just sums it up.

Old Post Aug 19th, 2015 04:45 AM
Stringer is currently offline Click here to Send Stringer a Private Message Find more posts by Stringer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision

I hope to see Vaughn in more serious roles from now on. I like a lot of his comedies (Wedding Crashers, Old School, and Dodge Ball are his best), but I've never thought of him as a comedian in the same way Will Farrel, Owen Wilson, or Jonah Hill are comedians. He's generally the straight man in his comedies.

Old Post Aug 19th, 2015 08:03 PM
Ascendancy

The only thing one should enter a work of fiction with as a consumer is the suspension of disbelief. Anything besides that is an impediment toward enjoying the work.

The first season of TRUE DETECTIVE is one of the greatest seasons in the history of the medium. Expecting a repeat or even more a superior work in season 2 is an unreasonable standard.

I think it's a bit ridiculous not to compare the seasons simply because they aren't part of a continuing story line. The characters in Season One were dynamic and interesting, but none of them felt fake. Vaughn and his wife offered almost no depth until late in the season, the kid in the raven mask was completely unbelievable in his role, and on and on.

The plot of this season was convoluted to the point of being farcical. The depth of the conspiracy, how many of the murders were carried out, the train station scene, so much of it was over the top and unrealistic in any way.

There were two amazing episodes in the season and the finale had great moments, but judged against season one or any other quality show in general there were so many issues that just take away from it being great. I love some of the performances, I love some of the elements that were used in the final episodes, but some things were so horribly, desperately off that I can't ever consider it the success it could have been.

Two or three great episodes, and a lot of mistakes in the interim.

Old Post Aug 31st, 2015 05:29 AM
Ascendancy is currently offline Click here to Send Ascendancy a Private Message Find more posts by Ascendancy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Supreme Snoke

Season 3 announced. Let's just hope it's more like the amaze balls season one than the train wreck season two.

Old Post Sep 5th, 2017 05:38 PM
Robtard
KMC's #1 Rated Member

S2 while not nearly as good as S1, not even close, was still a decent show. Better than a lot of the crap out there. So I'm hyped for S3, even if I know it'll never be equal to S1

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Sep 5th, 2017 05:44 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Never finished S2.

Season 1 is exceptional though. Happy that they're giving it another try. Hopefully the extra time between season 2 and 3 will allow them to develop a more interesting story.

Old Post Sep 6th, 2017 07:58 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
KMC's #1 Rated Member

You should, it's good when all is said and done. Just don't compare it to S1, cos it will lack severely storywise. Ray Velcoro is good, but he's no Rustin Cohle, not even close.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Sep 6th, 2017 08:35 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote