KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » TV Talk Forum » True Detective

True Detective
Started by: Robtard

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (11): « First ... « 9 10 [11]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Yeah I might. It wasn't just the characters, I really liked the setting of the first season. It was very unique for that type of show and was unhappy they moved the second season to a much more generic urban setting like LA. I also really liked the quasi horror elements of the first season, and those seemed to be MIA in the second season. Hope they can get that aspect back.

Last edited by BackFire on Sep 6th, 2017 at 08:44 PM

Old Post Sep 6th, 2017 08:38 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

I do not want them afraid to take risks and I feel if they try to mimic certain aspects of the first season they will fall short. The first season was pure magic just try something new and make the story riveting, characters, memorable, and the stakes high and I'll be excited.

Old Post Sep 6th, 2017 11:03 PM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Squirrel Fart

some news about this recently...

moonlight's Mahershala Ali and greenroom director Jeremy Saulnier are aboard for season 3 and this is supposed to be set in the orzarks

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/true-d...e-rust-affleck/

Last edited by Squirrel Fart on Oct 21st, 2017 at 10:27 PM

Old Post Oct 21st, 2017 10:23 PM
Squirrel Fart is currently offline Click here to Send Squirrel Fart a Private Message Find more posts by Squirrel Fart Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

I couldn't get into Season 2, so I've sort of lost interest in this. Season 1 is amazing, though.

Old Post Oct 22nd, 2017 01:41 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

quote: (post)
Originally posted by The Nuul
some news about this recently...

moonlight's Mahershala Ali and greenroom director Jeremy Saulnier are aboard for season 3 and this is supposed to be set in the orzarks

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/true-d...e-rust-affleck/

All great news. Green Room is a great movie, guy is a talented director capable of making very dark, brooding and atmospheric pictures.

And very happy we're getting back to a more rural setting. The setting in the first season was a huge part of why it was good, was a big part of the mood and tone of the first season.

Old Post Oct 22nd, 2017 08:39 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
samhain
The Demon Hunter

Watched the first episode just now. Glad to see they learned their lesson from S2 and have gone back to the setting and atmosphere of the first season. Good first episode, in fact, I'm gonna watch episode 2 right now.

rolling on floor laughing smokin' messed

Old Post Jan 15th, 2019 01:41 AM
samhain is currently offline Click here to Send samhain a Private Message Find more posts by samhain Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

watched 1st 2 episodes last night.. infinitely way better then that piece of shit that was season 2

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Jan 15th, 2019 04:31 AM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
samhain
The Demon Hunter

Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
watched 1st 2 episodes last night.. infinitely way better then that piece of shit that was season 2

thumb up

Old Post Jan 15th, 2019 10:28 AM
samhain is currently offline Click here to Send samhain a Private Message Find more posts by samhain Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Watched ep1, was good. Looking forward to the rest.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Jan 16th, 2019 12:18 AM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rick Deckard

Big fan of True Detective S01 - S02. S01 was especially superb, and I feel it's WH & MM's best work.

S02 was great as well, and took a completely different approach by having the storyline follow a more traditional narrative (i.e., not going back & forth in different time periods like S01).

So far, S03 is excellent - I've seen the first three episodes. Very impressed by the acting, storyline, and haunting/brooding atmosphere. Very seamless transitions between 1980, 1990, and 2015. Elements of this storyline were obviously inspired by the infamous & heinous crimes that occurred in West Memphis, AR in the early '90's.

As in S01, the theme of older detectives remembering & being haunted by crimes they investigated earlier in their career is a very strong element here. Having the two lead detectives (Hays & Dorrf) be Vietnam veterans was interesting, especially given that Hays used his tracking skills to find the horrific crime scene. Also amused by the "Purple Hays" nick-name, which was an obvious reference to the iconic 1967 Jimi Hendrix track "Purple Haze"...a song that American troops in Vietnam would have been listening to in the late '60's & '70's:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjwWjx7Cw8I

Old Post Jan 21st, 2019 09:50 PM
Rick Deckard is currently offline Click here to Send Rick Deckard a Private Message Find more posts by Rick Deckard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindset

S2 was garbage.

Sometimes all you have left is your Rage

Old Post Jan 21st, 2019 11:07 PM
Mindset is currently offline Click here to Send Mindset a Private Message Find more posts by Mindset Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
samhain
The Demon Hunter

Originally posted by Rick Deckard
Also amused by the "Purple Hays" nick-name, which was an obvious reference to the iconic 1967 Jimi Hendrix track "Purple Haze"...a song that American troops in Vietnam would have been listening to in the late '60's & '70's:

The black detective in Arkansas in 1980 with the surname Hays may have gotten that nickname another way. Cynical I know but just saying.

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2019 02:18 AM
Rick Deckard

Originally posted by samhain The black detective in Arkansas in 1980 with the surname Hays may have gotten that nickname another way. Cynical I know but just saying.

Agreed. The "Purple Haze/Jimi Hendrix" nick-name was an obvious reference to Hays being African-American. However, since this was given to him by his detective partner - who obviously respected him - I don't see this as being a disparaging or racially-insensitive comment.

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2019 04:41 AM
Rick Deckard is currently offline Click here to Send Rick Deckard a Private Message Find more posts by Rick Deckard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
samhain
The Demon Hunter

Originally posted by Rick Deckard
Agreed. The "Purple Haze/Jimi Hendrix" nick-name was an obvious reference to Hays being African-American. However, since this was given to him by his detective partner - who obviously respected him - I don't see this as being a disparaging or racially-insensitive comment.

Yeah, I got that too, I have similar relationships with people where we can bring up colour in a silly tongue-in-cheek way and we laugh about it. As long as it's not serious and there's a bit of respect it's all good.

Old Post Jan 24th, 2019 03:54 PM
Rick Deckard

True. And, the "Purple Hays" reference in TD reminded me of something:

When I was a teen back in the mid-'80's, I remember briefly hanging out at this beach town in the summer (when I was on vacation). And, in one part of the beach, this African American "musician" used to play music for money. He was not that great, but it seemed like he thought he was - LOL.

In any case, there were some older kids that also used to hang out in the area (I didn't know them) and, when they would see him, would jokingly call him "Jimi Hendrix". And, I didn't get the impression that it was meant in a disparaging way - sure, it was semi-sarcastic, but I didn't see it as being mean-spirited. I also think the guy may have known the kids, at least on a peripheral level.

Last edited by Rick Deckard on Jan 25th, 2019 at 04:19 PM

Old Post Jan 25th, 2019 04:16 PM