KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » TV Talk Forum » True Detective

True Detective
Started by: Robtard

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (11): « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

Excited for the new season--comes out the 21st!

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Jun 13th, 2015 11:43 AM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Squirrel Fart

People need to not compare this to season one, this is a whole new set of characters and stories. If they do compare, they will be disappointed.

Old Post Jun 13th, 2015 12:02 PM
Squirrel Fart is currently offline Click here to Send Squirrel Fart a Private Message Find more posts by Squirrel Fart Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision

quote: (post)
Originally posted by The Nuul
People need to not compare this to season one, this is a whole new set of characters and stories. If they do compare, they will be disappointed.

I think we should be allowed to compare based on overall quality. I agree we shouldn't expect the same atmosphere or type of plot, but we should expect the same quality of acting and writing, and if we don't get that, then yes, we will be disappointed.

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Jun 13th, 2015 02:14 PM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Squirrel Fart

Originally posted by Omega Vision
I think we should be allowed to compare based on overall quality. I agree we shouldn't expect the same atmosphere or type of plot, but we should expect the same quality of acting and writing, and if we don't get that, then yes, we will be disappointed.

Agreed. thumb up

Old Post Jun 13th, 2015 02:34 PM
Squirrel Fart is currently offline Click here to Send Squirrel Fart a Private Message Find more posts by Squirrel Fart Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
marwash22
HELL YEAH.

Originally posted by Omega Vision
thumb up

Old Post Jun 13th, 2015 04:46 PM
marwash22 is currently offline Click here to Send marwash22 a Private Message Find more posts by marwash22 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Squirrel Fart

This starts tonight!!!!!!

Old Post Jun 21st, 2015 07:27 PM
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

watched the 2nd season premiere.. wasn't really impressed by hopefully that will change as the season goes

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2015 03:35 AM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision

The first episode was a really long setup. I hope the pacing picks up in future episodes. I think the main problem was that they're trying to make us care about too many characters all at once. There were two characters who mattered in the original season, now they've doubled that.

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2015 01:22 PM
Omega Vision

I think the main thing missing from this episode that was present in the first episode of the first season (and which was the one thing that pulled me through, as that episode also seemed rather slow and confusing at the time) is chemistry between the leads because...well, the leads only meet up at the very end of the episode. In S1E1, we had Marty and Rust bantering on for the entire episode, and that was encouraging because it showed that if nothing else it would be entertaining to follow these two guys around. I hope that by episode two we'll see the same thing developing between the three cops in this season.

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2015 02:27 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

Yeah, not anywhere as strong an opening as season one, but it kept me entertained enough to watch ep2.

Velcoro - Dirty unstable cop with a drinking problem

Bezzerides - Borderline self-loathing cop with major daddy issues

Woodrugh - Impotent adrenaline junkie with troubled past

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2015 03:54 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Squirrel Fart

I agree with everyone.

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2015 06:31 PM
Omega Vision

Farrel's character is over the top. I'm predicting him to die in episode 6 or 7. The fact that he's already on the wrong side of the law means there will be a major shitstorm once his deeds come to light, and it will probably be one of those things where only death can redeem him.

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2015 07:30 PM
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Wasn't keen on this episode. As others have said, no chemistry between characters. Really, no interesting characters at all. And forcefully dreary and bleak to the point where it doesn't feel natural. Also took way to long to get to the point.

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2015 08:27 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

Hundreds of sweeping aerial shots do not, good drama, make.

I don't think it's that the characters are less interesting, although they do need more screen time. It's a directorial problem. It needs Cary Fukunaga

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2015 11:42 PM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Also a writing problem. The pacing was bunk. It really is a shame that Fukunaga isn't back this season. Dunno what they were thinking bringing on the Fast and Furious director in his place.

I think the characters are much less interesting. No one immediately demands attention like Rust did in the first season. Instead we get generic dirty drunk cop and his generic disgruntled cop cohorts.

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2015 11:53 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision

I do think of all the characters, Farrel's character has the greatest potential to be interesting.

So far Kitsch has two faces: surprise and anger. If he doesn't vary it, it will get old fast.

Rachel McAdams's character has potential.

With Vince Vaugnh, we haven't seen enough yet to know what he's going to be like, but he better damn well do something in episode 2.

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2015 12:56 AM
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

I read that press reviewers were given the 1st 3 episodes because the makers were worried the 1st and 2nd episodes were weak and it picks up after that. Hopefully it does.

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2015 10:49 PM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision

For an 8 episode season 3 slow episodes is terrible.

That's like if you have a 400 page novel your friend gives you and before you even start reading he warns you that "the first 150 pages are really slow, but it picks up after that." It doesn't inspire confidence.

Edit: Although, come to think of it, Crime and Punishment was a ****ing excellent novel and I thought the first hundred or so pages were a confusing snooze before it got into gear.

Last edited by Omega Vision on Jun 23rd, 2015 at 11:01 PM

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2015 10:58 PM
marwash22
HELL YEAH.

Rachel McAdams' dad (David Morse) was the best part of the first episode.

Old Post Jun 24th, 2015 05:50 AM
marwash22 is currently offline Click here to Send marwash22 a Private Message Find more posts by marwash22 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stringer

It's like Battleship but worse.

"Ushgarak has never had a Tiny bit of sex, have you?"

Old Post Jun 24th, 2015 07:33 AM
Stringer is currently offline Click here to Send Stringer a Private Message Find more posts by Stringer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote