KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » TV Talk Forum » True Detective

True Detective
Started by: Robtard

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (11): « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Omega Vision
For an 8 episode season 3 slow episodes is terrible.

The first 4 episodes of the first season of The Wire were extremely slow as well.

Where as the first 3 episodes of Better Call Saul were brilliant and it nose-dived into mediocrity after that.

The Walking Dead you're lucky if you get 4 good episodes in a 16 episode season.

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Jun 24th, 2015 10:14 PM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

Originally posted by jaden101
The first 4 episodes of the first season of The Wire were extremely slow as well.

Where as the first 3 episodes of Better Call Saul were brilliant and it nose-dived into mediocrity after that.

The Walking Dead you're lucky if you get 4 good episodes in a 16 episode season.

Difference is that all those shows will continue building and building their characters after the first season. Because True Detective is anthologized, those eight episodes are a single unit, and so there's no chance of it leaving its slow start behind with great future arcs.

Again though, I hope to hell the season gets better. I want to love this season at least half as much as I did Season 1.

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Jun 24th, 2015 11:49 PM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Omega Vision
Difference is that all those shows will continue building and building their characters after the first season. Because True Detective is anthologized, those eight episodes are a single unit, and so there's no chance of it leaving its slow start behind with great future arcs.

Again though, I hope to hell the season gets better. I want to love this season at least half as much as I did Season 1.

The Wire had elements of an anthology structure as well. Each season focused on a different group. Season 2 and 4 especially with the dock workers and young uns. They managed to build strong 1 season characters easily enough. Wayward Pines is managing it. Band of Brothers is the pinnacle of a single season run. Rome done wonders with 2 seasons. The office, extras and Derek each had 2 short seasons. Firefly had 1 season. The Shadow Line had 1 season of 7 episodes and was astounding. Buried had 1 season and was also utterly brilliant. Utopia had 2 short seasons and again was top drawer. Black Mirror has 3 episode seasons with a different story in each episode and is some of the best TV you will ever watch.

Old Post Jun 25th, 2015 11:28 PM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision

Originally posted by jaden101
The Wire had elements of an anthology structure as well. Each season focused on a different group. Season 2 and 4 especially with the dock workers and young uns. They managed to build strong 1 season characters easily enough. Wayward Pines is managing it. Band of Brothers is the pinnacle of a single season run. Rome done wonders with 2 seasons. The office, extras and Derek each had 2 short seasons. Firefly had 1 season. The Shadow Line had 1 season of 7 episodes and was astounding. Buried had 1 season and was also utterly brilliant. Utopia had 2 short seasons and again was top drawer. Black Mirror has 3 episode seasons with a different story in each episode and is some of the best TV you will ever watch.

True, but there was still McNulty and Co.

It would be interesting if a minor character from Season 1 shows up in a cameo somewhere in Season 2. Maybe one of Marty's daughters or one of the two black detectives.

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Jun 25th, 2015 11:35 PM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Squirrel Fart

I agree with OV, 3 or 4 slow Eps out of 8 Eps is not a good start. A show with a limited amount of Eps per a season better start with a bang, a hook, a catch in the first Ep or two. The Wire had a lot more Eps to start off slowly and they had more time to tell stories, where as True Detective does not. It's a very limited amount of time to tell stories, and they better be good.

Old Post Jun 27th, 2015 06:13 PM
Squirrel Fart is currently offline Click here to Send Squirrel Fart a Private Message Find more posts by Squirrel Fart Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arachnid1

Originally posted by The Nuul
I agree with OV, 3 or 4 slow Eps out of 8 Eps is not a good start. A show with a limited amount of Eps per a season better start with a bang, a hook, a catch in the first Ep or two. The Wire had a lot more Eps to start off slowly and they had more time to tell stories, where as True Detective does not. It's a very limited amount of time to tell stories, and they better be good.
I'm about halfway through the first season, and it had a pretty slow start too. Since you all came back for season 2, I'm assuming it has a good payoff

PWNT

Old Post Jun 27th, 2015 06:52 PM
Arachnid1 is currently offline Click here to Send Arachnid1 a Private Message Find more posts by Arachnid1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Squirrel Fart

I won't spoil anything for you Arach.

Old Post Jun 27th, 2015 07:21 PM
Squirrel Fart is currently offline Click here to Send Squirrel Fart a Private Message Find more posts by Squirrel Fart Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arachnid1

Originally posted by The Nuul
I won't spoil anything for you Arach.
I appreciate it man, but you're free to post your thoughts. I'm marathoning it, and I've only got two episodes left. I wont be back in this thread until I finish the first season

PWNT

Old Post Jun 27th, 2015 09:02 PM
Arachnid1 is currently offline Click here to Send Arachnid1 a Private Message Find more posts by Arachnid1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Arachnid1
I'm about halfway through the first season, and it had a pretty slow start too. Since you all came back for season 2, I'm assuming it has a good payoff

Season 2 doesn't have anything to do with season 1

Old Post Jun 28th, 2015 12:26 AM
Omega Vision

Originally posted by Arachnid1

It's true that the first two episodes are really slow, but when you watch them again they're loaded with little hints and clues that you don't notice at first. I hope it will be the same with this season when all is said and done.

For me, True Detective Season 1 came alive in the last scene of episode 2. That gave me chills. If we go by the novel analogy, that's 100 pages into a 400 page novel. Ideally you should be hooked from page 1 (or more likely, 20 or so pages in), but that's not terrible.

Old Post Jun 28th, 2015 06:37 PM
marwash22
HELL YEAH.

well, that was... unexpected!

Old Post Jun 29th, 2015 03:07 AM
marwash22 is currently offline Click here to Send marwash22 a Private Message Find more posts by marwash22 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

I totally called it right before it happened. So far this is really, really good.

Old Post Jun 29th, 2015 03:25 AM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision

Originally posted by marwash22
well, that was... unexpected!

Yeah, unless that ending is some kind of big fakeout, the mystery of the show will actually be [SPOILER - highlight to read]: Ray's murder.

[SPOILER - highlight to read]: I knew he was going to die, but not so soon...that's shocking

Old Post Jun 29th, 2015 03:31 AM
marwash22
HELL YEAH.

Originally posted by quanchi112
I totally called it right before it happened. So far this is really, really good.
actually, i thought he was getting framed for the murder of his ex-wife and/or her new husband.

Old Post Jun 29th, 2015 03:32 AM
marwash22 is currently offline Click here to Send marwash22 a Private Message Find more posts by marwash22 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

actually, i thought he was getting framed for the murder of his ex-wife and/or her new husband.
[SPOILER - highlight to read]: When he was in the house I just figured he's going to die and quickly thought from the previews I think I've seen all of his scenes already so it would turn into a three person show now instead of a four person. I liked him the best thus far so I'm a little annoyed. He had me at the beat down of the bully's dad.

Old Post Jun 29th, 2015 03:36 AM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
marwash22
HELL YEAH.

see, that's why i never watch those "next time on" previews. They end up telling me things I'd rather not know until I'm watching the episode in it's entirety.

Old Post Jun 29th, 2015 03:56 AM
quanchi112
Disney

see, that's why i never watch those "next time on" previews. They end up telling me things I'd rather not know until I'm watching the episode in it's entirety.
I just meant the previews of the show not the next episode. Plus I just had a feeling in the scene that it was going to happen.

Old Post Jun 29th, 2015 04:03 AM
marwash22
HELL YEAH.

ah okay.

you were ahead of me there, 'cause i didn't think for a second that they'd off a main character in the second episode. When the first shot happened, i thought, damn, he got shot in the leg or something... that's gonna leave mark, but he'll just kill this guy and continue the investigation with the other others. but then came the double tap.

lol.

Old Post Jun 29th, 2015 04:12 AM
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by quanchi112
[SPOILER - highlight to read]: When he was in the house I just figured he's going to die and quickly thought from the previews I think I've seen all of his scenes already so it would turn into a three person show now instead of a four person. I liked him the best thus far so I'm a little annoyed. He had me at the beat down of the bully's dad.

[SPOILER - highlight to read]: He's not dead. It was birdshot cartridges

Old Post Jun 29th, 2015 11:23 AM
Squirrel Fart

Pretty good ep last night, better than the first one. Those damn aerial shots bug the shit outta me now though.

Old Post Jun 29th, 2015 12:51 PM