KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Lord of the Rings » How GREAT Lord of the Rings is compared to Harry Potter and how it COPIED LOTR.

How Bad do you think the Harry Potter movies are?
This poll is closed.
VERY BAD! I CANNOT SIT THROUGH THE MOVIE. 3 37.50%
AWFUL. I WANT TO SUE HOW EVER MADE THIS MOVIE. 0 0%
TERRIBLE. I WANT TO KILL MYSELF WHEN I SEE THIS MOVIE. 0 0%
HORRIBLE. I ACTUALLY KILL MYSELF WHEN I SEE THIS MOVIE. I AM A GHOST FROM THE PAST. 5 62.50%
Total: 8 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

How GREAT Lord of the Rings is compared to Harry Potter and how it COPIED LOTR.
Started by: cermiestar

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (8): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
cermiestar
kitten

Smile How GREAT Lord of the Rings is compared to Harry Potter and how it COPIED LOTR.

Hello! I am kinda new to these forums, though I am a mOvie FREAK and I don't know why it took me so long to find this place...anywho I was kinda thinking about how BAD Harry Potter was and how GREAT Lord of the Rings was. big grin Anyway, Harry Potter COPIED Lord of the Rings so BAD. I mean giant spider in Harry Potter? *coughs* Shelob. Ok. here is my list of things J.K.Rowling has COPIED from Tolkien.

1. Obivously the giant spider in Harry Potter vaugely resembles...who am i kidding, almost EXACTLY resemble Shelob in Lord of the Rings.mad

2. Dementors. Hooded and cloaked figures in black who bring fear into wherever they pass. You cannot see their face. I am sorry, but this is almost DIRECTLY out of Tolkien.mad

3.A Dark Lord. Volemort is actually referred to the Dark Lord at some point....i am sure he is. Anywho, if I'm wrong, it is something very similar to the name "The Dark Lord". Anyway, Voldmort is defeated and is quiet for years.....but his spirit still lives on in a very weak form, and he is getting stronger and gathering more supporters. I am sorry. But HELLO! J.K.Rowling is not the amazing individual author everyone thinks her to be. .mad

I have a ton more but i can't be bothered to post them. YOU do it. I wanna see how many I can find.

Last edited by cermiestar on May 2nd, 2003 at 09:16 PM

Old Post May 2nd, 2003 09:12 PM
cermiestar is currently offline Click here to Send cermiestar a Private Message Find more posts by cermiestar Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Corran
Lucifer

There's Wizards in Both.

Old Post May 2nd, 2003 09:35 PM
Corran is currently offline Click here to Send Corran a Private Message Find more posts by Corran Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Oh, yeah, great. Harry Potter is steeped in fantasy mythology, like LOTR. How it MUST be a rip off then... gee...

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post May 2nd, 2003 09:44 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mah
J-type 327 Nubian

yeah! what rediculous nonsense it all is!

Old Post May 2nd, 2003 10:05 PM
mah is currently offline Click here to Send mah a Private Message Find more posts by mah Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
justinday15
Jay

harry potter sux

Old Post May 2nd, 2003 10:43 PM
justinday15 is currently offline Click here to Send justinday15 a Private Message Find more posts by justinday15 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
turin

dude i agree, i think harry potter is crap and that they did rip off LOTR. first off it seems suspicious that right as LOTR movies started to come out a harry potter movie is rushed and put out. plus they showed up in theaters a month before LOTR. i feel it was an etempt to still LOTR thunder, which i think fellowship would have done better if not for Potter. second playing the devils advocate here, tolkien is the major influence in fantasy so it would be hard for them not to have similarities, but there is an awful lot of them. Just my opinion though as i am sure there are many people who love potter (look at the box office). i just look at it as a child friendly fantasy, where as LOTR has a much more earthy realism to it, that might scare younger children.

and filled with wrath and despair he mounted upon Rochallor his great horse and rode forth alone, and none might restrain him. He passed over Dor-nu-Fauglith like a wind amid the dust, and all that beheld his onset fled in amaze, thinking that Oromë himself was come: for a great madness of rage was upon him, so that his eyes shone like the eyes of the Valar.

Old Post May 2nd, 2003 10:44 PM
turin is currently offline Click here to Send turin a Private Message Find more posts by turin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
duffy

I still havent let myself see it and i dont plan to.the thing i hate most about it is the fact that silly wee kids think it is soooooooooo much better than lotr.

Withnail: What for?
I: Ask him about his house.
Withnail: You want me to call what-his-name and ask him about his house?
I: Why not?
Withnail: Alright. what's his number?
I: I've no idea - I've never met him.
Withnail: Well neither have I. What the **** are you talking about?

Old Post May 2nd, 2003 11:10 PM
duffy is currently offline Click here to Send duffy a Private Message Find more posts by duffy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Tolkien freely admitted that his own work was derivative. Everything takes influence from other things. Potter has done it very well and in a STAGGERINGLY popular fashion, too. It deserves the kudos it gets and there is no reason for it to be in competition with LOTR at all.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

BtVS

Old Post May 2nd, 2003 11:54 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
REXXXX
Networking

The Chamber of Secrets was better than the first. They are both great books/films. Honestly, I really don't care.

1. Who cares if there's a giant spider in both books.

2. There are lots of things with hooded, dark monsters in it. Hell, I used something like that for a story.

3. You might as well say that Star Wars copied Tolkien then. Vader was a Dark Lord, we'd better sue.

Old Post May 3rd, 2003 05:12 AM
REXXXX is currently offline Click here to Send REXXXX a Private Message Find more posts by REXXXX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cermiestar
kitten

Come to think of it. Star Wars DID copy lotr......EVIL GEORGE LUCAS.

Old Post May 3rd, 2003 04:31 PM
cermiestar is currently offline Click here to Send cermiestar a Private Message Find more posts by cermiestar Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cermiestar
kitten

SUE GEORGE LUCAS! SUE GEORGE LUCAS! SUE GEORGE LUCAS! SUE GEORGE LUCAS! SUE GEORGE LUCAS! SUE GEORGE LUCAS! SUE GEORGE LUCAS! SUE GEORGE LUCAS! SUE GEORGE LUCAS! SUE GEORGE LUCAS! SUE GEORGE LUCAS! SUE GEORGE LUCAS! SUE GEORGE LUCAS! SUE GEORGE LUCAS! SUE GEORGE LUCAS! SUE GEORGE LUCAS! SUE GEORGE LUCAS! SUE GEORGE LUCAS! SUE GEORGE LUCAS! SUE GEORGE LUCAS! SUE GEORGE LUCAS! SUE GEORGE LUCAS! SUE GEORGE LUCAS! SUE GEORGE LUCAS! SUE GEORGE LUCAS! SUE GEORGE LUCAS! SUE GEORGE LUCAS! SUE GEORGE LUCAS! SUE GEORGE LUCAS! SUE GEORGE LUCAS! SUE GEORGE LUCAS! SUE GEORGE LUCAS! SUE GEORGE LUCAS! SUE GEORGE LUCAS! SUE GEORGE LUCAS! SUE GEORGE LUCAS! SUE GEORGE LUCAS! SUE GEORGE LUCAS! SUE GEORGE LUCAS!

Old Post May 3rd, 2003 04:32 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

And Tolkien ripped off a load of Norse mythology; shall we sue his estate whilst we are at it?

BtVS

Old Post May 3rd, 2003 06:17 PM
hayden's minx
Safe

Yes I agree with Ush this could go on forever but comeon, JK rowling could really have tried to cover up her rip of of lotr i mean ~ Wormtongue / Wormtail ~ Same Name you poor excuse for a writer, Jesus hasn't Copyright taught you anything~ suffixes don't count (nor do prefixes for that matter)!?
Oh yes and I suggest any haters of Harry Potter should try to read Barry Trotter and the Shameless Parody by Michael Gerber oh yeah and while you are there read Bored of the rings ~ Now thats copyright infringement!

Old Post May 3rd, 2003 06:51 PM
hayden's minx is currently offline Click here to Send hayden's minx a Private Message Find more posts by hayden's minx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cermiestar
kitten

Yes! Wormtounge/Wormtail. They are both traitors to the Dark Lord. Now THAT is obvious.
No-on OWNS the Nordic legends.

Old Post May 3rd, 2003 07:11 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Oh, that's all right, just because they were written before copyright existed then it is no longer plagiarism... it's the same thing, regardless of legality. And that point is moot anyway as no-one seems inclined to sue, and for good reason because a case based on what has been said here would be feeble.

LOTR and Potter explore fundamentally different things.

BtVS

Old Post May 3rd, 2003 07:14 PM
cermiestar
kitten

No, it's WAY different. Tolkien used the Nordic legends for INSPIRATION and he TOTALLY admitted it and said he was fascinated with it and that it really INSPIRED him. No where in J.K.Rowling's movies, books any of her franchise does she say that she took ideas from Tolkien, whereas Tolkien did say he took a lot of his stuff from Nordics legends to create a modern myth.

Old Post May 3rd, 2003 07:18 PM
cermiestar
kitten

ha

Old Post May 3rd, 2003 07:19 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

If you asked Rowling if she took inspiration from other fantasies then the answer would be a resounding yes. But it is not even close to plagiarism.

I mean, the 'school for Wizards' thing had been done a hundred times before. Wizards, Withces, the spells, the hero prophecy boy... it is ALL classic fantasy cliche but who the hell cares? It is just done well.

BtVS

Old Post May 3rd, 2003 07:21 PM
cermiestar
kitten

Yeah but she would never say "i stole lots of my ideas from Tolkien" would she?

Old Post May 3rd, 2003 07:24 PM
mah
J-type 327 Nubian

no, because that is pointless. it seems to me some of you have read very little fantasy literature; there's work that's far more similar to LOTR; but not that there's really anything wrong with that. just the way it is in fantasy, lots of cliches.

Old Post May 3rd, 2003 09:14 PM
mah is currently offline Click here to Send mah a Private Message Find more posts by mah Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote