KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Assassins Creed: Unity (Fall 2014)

Assassins Creed: Unity (Fall 2014)
Started by: Arachnid1

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Arachnid1
Makes sense. Reusing a male model for a female main character is a bit lazy.

Though I'm pretty sure they had female characters in the online portion of all the games. They could just use and edit those, can't they?

Still, the whole argument is a bit ridiculous. It really is a lose/lose situation. That link Kazenji put up has some guy using the fact that they had a female protagonist in the past as a point to argue Ubisofts sexism. confused

The option would be cool, but if they don't have the time, they don't have the time. They shouldn't be put to a firing squad for that.

IIRC, Mass Effect had the same basic set of animations for both genders, and just scaled the skeleton's size for the versions of Shepard they used, and I don't recall people bitching about femshep seeming too manly. She looked plenty feminine to me, at least.

I don't believe Ubisoft is sexist at all, or at least, the average dev isn't. Maybe there's some ******* up in the top of the company that only wants male protagonists or something, but I doubt it. The fact that a woman is actually the head of the AC multiplayer section (from what I've read, anyway), also makes me doubt it a little bit.

Well the problem has gone from "they don't have women multiplayer characters" to "why is there not a woman in the single player as opposed to a man?". It's been blown up completely, and unfairly, imo.

That said, it's been 6 AAA games on major consoles (not including the Aveline game), and we haven't had a female protagonist yet in a major release. Might be time to give us one, if at the very least for variety's sake... And for the fact that Liberation, to me, felt very restricted in terms of gameplay.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Jun 15th, 2014 09:18 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lek Kuen
Ti Lun

Originally posted by -Pr-
IIRC, Mass Effect had the same basic set of animations for both genders, and just scaled the skeleton's size for the versions of Shepard they used, and I don't recall people bitching about femshep seeming too manly. She looked plenty feminine to me, at least.

I don't believe Ubisoft is sexist at all, or at least, the average dev isn't. Maybe there's some ******* up in the top of the company that only wants male protagonists or something, but I doubt it. The fact that a woman is actually the head of the AC multiplayer section (from what I've read, anyway), also makes me doubt it a little bit.

Well the problem has gone from "they don't have women multiplayer characters" to "why is there not a woman in the single player as opposed to a man?". It's been blown up completely, and unfairly, imo.

That said, it's been 6 AAA games on major consoles (not including the Aveline game), and we haven't had a female protagonist yet in a major release. Might be time to give us one, if at the very least for variety's sake... And for the fact that Liberation, to me, felt very restricted in terms of gameplay.

Femshep was military anyway, a little masculine is expected.

As for the Ubisoft thing eh there are a little more sexist practices then you think. But it's more so just idiocy. Major publishers think females don't sell, and when a game with a female does badly they say that's the reason instead of it being a bad game. I remember a few issues with games where people up-top bitched to get game genders or characters changed.

As for the overall argument I think people are misfiring. Female representation is a problem in mainstream gaming, but people are soo zealous that they are blind firing at everyone instead of targeting the problem.

Props to Scythe for the sig

Old Post Jun 15th, 2014 09:38 PM
Lek Kuen is currently offline Click here to Send Lek Kuen a Private Message Find more posts by Lek Kuen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by Lek Kuen
Femshep was military anyway, a little masculine is expected.

As for the Ubisoft thing eh there are a little more sexist practices then you think. But it's more so just idiocy. Major publishers think females don't sell, and when a game with a female does badly they say that's the reason instead of it being a bad game. I remember a few issues with games where people up-top bitched to get game genders or characters changed.

As for the overall argument I think people are misfiring. Female representation is a problem in mainstream gaming, but people are soo zealous that they are blind firing at everyone instead of targeting the problem.

True, but iirc they did the same thing in Dragon Age. I wouldn't be surprised if Resident Evil was the same. The only single player game I can think of that I've played recently to have vastly different men and women characters was Arkham City. Catwoman doesn't really play like Bruce at all, but at the same time, she's highly sexualised, so it's a toss up, I'm sure.

I agree that there's some sexism as regards the whole "women don't sell" thing, as it's obvious that they can and do. I just think that certain things are said to be sexist when they aren't, also.

Aye, that's true. There needs to be more representation of women in games. It just needs to be done in a way that brings male and female gamers together, rather than alienating one group to appease the other.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Jun 15th, 2014 09:44 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lek Kuen
Ti Lun

The best way to do that is good writing. But this is gaming where good writing is like .5% of games

Old Post Jun 15th, 2014 09:58 PM
Lek Kuen is currently offline Click here to Send Lek Kuen a Private Message Find more posts by Lek Kuen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

The best way to do that is good writing. But this is gaming where good writing is like .5% of games

Unless its bioware obviously.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Jun 15th, 2014 09:59 PM
Lek Kuen
Ti Lun

For every dragon age we have 50 Ride to hells

Old Post Jun 15th, 2014 10:01 PM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

For every dragon age we have 50 Ride to hells

Yeah sad

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Jun 15th, 2014 10:01 PM
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

all right who is buying this for me??? big grin

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Jun 15th, 2014 10:19 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

When it's like 5 dollars on steam, sure. stick out tongue

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Jun 15th, 2014 11:55 PM
PTforthewin
Restricted

Account Restricted

I hope they don't have online for a female protagonist game, there will be girls wearing stripper outfits everywhere and I hate naked women.

"When will you fools learn, no one escapes from Commander Fox!"

Old Post Jun 16th, 2014 05:23 AM
PTforthewin is currently offline Click here to Send PTforthewin a Private Message Find more posts by PTforthewin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

Originally posted by PTforthewin
I hope they don't have online for a female protagonist game, there will be girls wearing stripper outfits everywhere and I hate naked women.

Your parents let you on the computer this late, child?

Thanks Scythe for the sig.

Old Post Jun 16th, 2014 06:18 AM
Nemesis X is currently offline Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

He probably snuck into the living room after they went to bed.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Jun 16th, 2014 06:39 AM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Originally posted by -Pr-
Aveline was a reskinned male model and base, though. Not the same thing as building up a female model from scratch.

That, and it wasn't a AAA title.

So wait a game like that isn't a triple A title because it doens't get released on a console or PC erm

and it seems your just lowballing that character. No matter what you say it still was the first female assassin in those games.

Last edited by Kazenji on Jun 16th, 2014 at 06:56 AM

Old Post Jun 16th, 2014 06:53 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lek Kuen
Ti Lun

Originally posted by Kazenji
So wait a game like that isn't a triple A title because it doens't get released on a console or PC erm

and it seems your just lowballing that character. No matter what you say it still was the first female assassin in those games.

It's not triple A because it was lower in budget and lower in scope then the main line games. There is a reason ubisoft considered it a side game and spent the bulk of their resources on 3. It was from a tripple A publisher but it was just a side project to fill out the releases

Old Post Jun 16th, 2014 06:58 AM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by Kazenji

Like Lek said, it was a side game. How is it lowballing to state the truth about how the character was created and animated?

It's great that Aveline was the main character, but seriously, let's not pretend that it's the same thing as her being the protagonist in a proper, fully fleshed-out Assassin's Creed game.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Jun 16th, 2014 09:06 AM
Lek Kuen
Ti Lun

Pretty much. A small spin off can be about anything. Doesn't mean they are willing to do it on the real money makers

Old Post Jun 16th, 2014 08:01 PM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Pretty much. A small spin off can be about anything. Doesn't mean they are willing to do it on the real money makers

Yep.

If they do plan to bring out an Assassin's Creed every year, then I'd hope that at least one or two of the next bunch will have a female protagonist.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Jun 17th, 2014 12:56 AM
Estacado
Legendary

Finally!!
They fixed the damn cover system.Thank god!!
Otherwise looks good.

Bankai.

Old Post Jun 17th, 2014 02:20 PM
Estacado is currently offline Click here to Send Estacado a Private Message Find more posts by Estacado Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

You mean the lack of cover system?

Hahaha. I always thought they should copy Splinter Cell cover system....it makes sense.

Old Post Jun 17th, 2014 02:28 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Estacado
Legendary

Yup you are right.
When I played AC 4 after Arkham Origins and SC Blacklist.
I though damn the stealth sucks so much ass but it seems they have fixed it so that's definetly good.

Bankai.

Old Post Jun 17th, 2014 02:33 PM
Estacado is currently offline Click here to Send Estacado a Private Message Find more posts by Estacado Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote