KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » What'Cha Reading?

What'Cha Reading?
Started by: pym-ftw

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « 1 2 [3] 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Astor Ebligis
Restricted

Account Restricted

Really good, much better than Fables imo.

1. quanchi112
2-9. Various posters
10. Nai

Old Post Apr 16th, 2014 01:54 AM
Astor Ebligis is currently offline Click here to Send Astor Ebligis a Private Message Find more posts by Astor Ebligis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Galan007
I think you're like 1 of the 9 people who purchase this on a monthly basis.

Imagine how that number will go down without Larsen's family.

But it's a fun book still.

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Apr 16th, 2014 04:55 AM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Senor Cage

Originally posted by Astor Ebligis
Really good, much better than Fables imo.

I think I read somewhere that the main character is pretty powerful. Is this true?

Old Post Apr 16th, 2014 05:45 AM
Senor Cage is currently offline Click here to Send Senor Cage a Private Message Find more posts by Senor Cage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

These days the stuff that i buy/read

From Marvel-

Amazing X-men
Uncanny Avengers
Wolverine
Iron Man
All New Invaders
Thor God of Thunder
Punisher
Kick-Ass 3

DC-

Swamp Thing & Detective Comics

Dark Horse-

The Star Wars
Terminator Salvation: Final Battle / Enemy of My Enemy

Old Post Apr 16th, 2014 07:22 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dreampanther
We all face the reaper.

I've been out of comics for a while, there were just too many to keep track of and some of the reboots and rewrites and re-everything were starting to annoy me. However, I recently discovered readcomiconline.to and decided to check out a few comics just for the fun of it. To my surprise and delight it rekindled my love for comics, and I've been catching up on the series and issues that I had always meant to read and never got around to, like Hulk vs Pitt and Batmna vs The Darkness.

Then I remembered how much people raved about The Authority when it came out. I had always meant to check it out, but somehow it always stayed on my Will-Get_Around-To-It list. Well, Warren Ellis rocks! Even almost two decades later that is still a lot of fun to read. I only finished Vol 1, might come back to it at some stage, but I really preferred the issues Ellis wrote the most.

Currently I'm reading Fathom, another series I had always meant to check out since (obviously) I was (and still am) a big fan of Michael Turner's art. Not sure if the story is grabbing me, but the art is every bit as good as I imagined it would be.

What is everybody else reading at the moment? I am browsing through the other threads as well, to see what series have been recommended.

May all your dreams come true - except for one.

Old Post Feb 6th, 2017 11:05 AM
Dreampanther is currently offline Click here to Send Dreampanther a Private Message Find more posts by Dreampanther Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dreampanther
We all face the reaper.

Dropped Fathom. It's pretty, but didn't really grab me. Might come back to it some day.

Finished Huck by Millar. Very good, I really liked it.

Re-read Marvels by Busiek. Amazing how great it is - in fact, it got even better now that I'm older and understand it more.

Currently reading Planetary, because I enjoyed Ellis's run on The Authority so much. So far I'm enjoying it.

Old Post Feb 8th, 2017 04:00 PM
Dreampanther is currently offline Click here to Send Dreampanther a Private Message Find more posts by Dreampanther Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dreampanther
We all face the reaper.

Loved Planetary. At this point I'd be willing to read the back of a box of dog biscuits if Ellis wrote it.

Just finished The Twelve. It was okay, but not really mind-boggling, I thought. Maybe it suffers a bit in comparison because I just re-read Busiek's Marvels a short while ago, which I thought did a better job of portraying those old-fashioned values and the superheroes who embodied them. I liked it, I just wasn't wowed by it.

Might take a look at Pak's Incredible Hulk next. I actually want to read something DC-related, maybe by Morrison, but they are all such long runs.

Old Post Feb 11th, 2017 07:15 AM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Don't touch Warren Ellis's X-Men run. It's not very good.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Feb 11th, 2017 07:54 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dreampanther
We all face the reaper.

Originally posted by -Pr-

Ah, okay, thanks for the tip. Currently reading Pak's Incredible Hercules (I said Incredible Hulk above) and so far, pretty good. I liked his WW Hulk as well. Just not sure how many of his series I would want to read in a row.

Old Post Feb 11th, 2017 11:48 AM
riv6672

Amy Chu's Red Sonja.
It has many of my favorite things:
•Smoking hot red heads.
•Smoking hot red heads with swords.
•Smoking hot red heads with swords Transported to modern day NYC ala a couple of my favorite WHAT IFs starring Conan and MARVEL TEAM UP 79 starring Sonja herself.
•Smoking hot red heads with swords Transported to modern day NYC ala a couple of my favorite WHAT IFs starring Conan and MARVEL TEAM UP 79 starring Sonja herself, but this time its an entire arc and does more than scratch the surface of a really cool idea.

I highly recommend this well written, well drawn, and just plain FUN, comic.

Old Post Feb 11th, 2017 12:29 PM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by Dreampanther
Ah, okay, thanks for the tip. Currently reading Pak's Incredible Hercules (I said Incredible Hulk above) and so far, pretty good. I liked his WW Hulk as well. Just not sure how many of his series I would want to read in a row.

WWH and IH are probably the only two Pak books I really like, but they are so good.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Feb 11th, 2017 01:04 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dreampanther
We all face the reaper.

Finished Incredible Hercules. It was ... okay. Nothing against Pak, I think he did a great job with WWH, but it felt like he wrote IH for a laugh. He didn't really do anything with Herc, didn't develop him or show any major depth - in fact, he spent a lot more time on Amadeus Choi. Don't get me wrong, I really like Choi and Pak seems to like him too - but I was hoping to see Herc as a more three-dimensional character by the end of his run and at the end I just didn't.

The opposite happened with Infinite Crisis. I gave up reading DC a long time ago because it just got too tiresome to keep up with all the reboots, crises and infinite everythings. But, since I love the characters I finally took the plunge and read IC to try and get a handle on what happened before I started on 52 and the "new and improved" DCU.

And boy howdy, is there a lot of character development in IC. In fact, not to seem ungrateful - at the end I was just happy to finish so I could start enjoying DC again. Infinite Crisis seemed more like something you HAVE to read rather than something you want to read. No wonder everything in the DCEU is so grim, dark, emotional and gritty. FFS, all the fun seems to have been sucked out of the DCU along with however many characters, worlds, alternative Earths and universes.

A good story? Yes, certainly. But would I want to read it again? A thousand times no.

However, it allowed me to finally start reading DC again with more or less a grip on what's going on, and six issues into 52, I can gratefully say that I'm starting to enjoy DC again. Good writing and familiar characters doing interesting things make me want to read more and get excited about starting each new issue.

Old Post Feb 13th, 2017 08:09 AM
Prof. T.C McAbe
Kryptonian Scientist

Nothing anymore. The big two just disappointed me over the years, again and again.

Sig made by my mate, the one and only One_Angry_Scot

Old Post Feb 13th, 2017 12:58 PM
Prof. T.C McAbe is currently offline Click here to Send Prof. T.C McAbe a Private Message Find more posts by Prof. T.C McAbe Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

The opposite happened with Infinite Crisis. I gave up reading DC a long time ago because it just got too tiresome to keep up with all the reboots, crises and infinite everythings.

Huh? IC was the first major reboot in almost twenty years.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Feb 13th, 2017 06:17 PM
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

Finished Incredible Hercules. It was ... okay. Nothing against Pak, I think he did a great job with WWH, but it felt like he wrote IH for a laugh. He didn't really do anything with Herc, didn't develop him or show any major depth - in fact, he spent a lot more time on Amadeus Choi. Don't get me wrong, I really like Choi and Pak seems to like him too - but I was hoping to see Herc as a more three-dimensional character by the end of his run and at the end I just didn't.

The opposite happened with Infinite Crisis. I gave up reading DC a long time ago because it just got too tiresome to keep up with all the reboots, crises and infinite everythings. But, since I love the characters I finally took the plunge and read IC to try and get a handle on what happened before I started on 52 and the "new and improved" DCU.

And boy howdy, is there a lot of character development in IC. In fact, not to seem ungrateful - at the end I was just happy to finish so I could start enjoying DC again. Infinite Crisis seemed more like something you HAVE to read rather than something you want to read. No wonder everything in the DCEU is so grim, dark, emotional and gritty. FFS, all the fun seems to have been sucked out of the DCU along with however many characters, worlds, alternative Earths and universes.

A good story? Yes, certainly. But would I want to read it again? A thousand times no.

However, it allowed me to finally start reading DC again with more or less a grip on what's going on, and six issues into 52, I can gratefully say that I'm starting to enjoy DC again. Good writing and familiar characters doing interesting things make me want to read more and get excited about starting each new issue.

It's Cho. Not "Choi".

You'd know that if you read IH.

Old Post Feb 13th, 2017 06:22 PM
StiltmanFTW is currently offline Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dreampanther
We all face the reaper.

Huh? IC was the first major reboot in almost twenty years.

Huh? Do you mean you've only been reading comics of the last twenty years?
confused So you never read Golden Age and Silver Age comics? You think the DC Universe was created brand-new in 2007?

Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
It's Cho. Not "Choi".

You'd know that if you read IH.

Wow. Thank you so much for your constructive criticism. Ignore the fact that I've been posting about all the series I've been catching up on the last few weeks. Ignore the fact that I've left detailed reviews and feedback about writers, universes and characters. No, it's all about "I", right?

But at least you don't have to make an effort by writing a review of something you are reading...

...if anything.

Old Post Feb 13th, 2017 09:10 PM
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

Welcome to the Internet, dreamp big grin

Old Post Feb 13th, 2017 09:15 PM
StiltmanFTW is currently offline Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dreampanther
We all face the reaper.

Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
Welcome to the Internet, dreamp big grin

Suddenly I feel so warm and welcome stick out tongue

Just gonna go back to reading DC's 52 and not try not to wonder how I managed to fall 20 years behind in comics. wink

Old Post Feb 13th, 2017 09:19 PM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Huh? Do you mean you've only been reading comics of the last twenty years?
confused So you never read Golden Age and Silver Age comics? You think the DC Universe was created brand-new in 2007?

Huh? That's not what I said.

I said IC was the first major reboot in almost twenty years, which it was, as the last massive, DC universe altering one was COIE in 86.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Feb 13th, 2017 10:03 PM
StyleTime

thumb up

It's crazy that otherwise good writers seem to fail at X-Men.

His Generation X was pretty good though.

Last edited by StyleTime on Feb 13th, 2017 at 11:57 PM

Old Post Feb 13th, 2017 11:53 PM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote