KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Resident Evil 7

Resident Evil 7
Started by: Arachnid1

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (17): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Stealth Moose
Umbrella Elite

I knew you'd say something along those lines.

You're welcome.

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2014 03:17 AM
Stealth Moose is currently offline Click here to Send Stealth Moose a Private Message Find more posts by Stealth Moose Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

You've come to know me so well in the short amount of time we've been interacting, Moose. That makes me hard.

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2014 03:21 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zack Fair
Fanboy

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Stealth Moose
Encounter your first Crimsonhead, alone, at night, with surround sound on.

Bring your brown pants, especially when he opens the door to chase you.
thumb up

Lets not forget Lisa. She scared me shitless and I was in university when it happened and had played my fair share of REs and Silent Hills.

Many thanks to Rao Kal-EL Da Man

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2014 03:51 AM
Zack Fair is currently offline Click here to Send Zack Fair a Private Message Find more posts by Zack Fair Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji

I did. If you judge it on its own merits, it does pretty well. In any case, it's a dark, gritty game with four player co-op and versus, that has a lot of replayability. I can't complain with that. I also loved Outbreak and wish I had been able to get my hands on File #2.

Well i suppose i don't play RE for ****en multiplayer...i play it for a decent B grade story and blasting creatures.

Originally posted by BackFire
Damn, I was hoping for a reboot of sorts. Series needs to get back to its survival horror roots. RE6 was just a badly made action game with some crappy horror segments. Tried to do too much and ended up doing nothing.

They did go back to its roots if you've ever played Revelations.

Last edited by Kazenji on Apr 23rd, 2014 at 05:12 AM

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2014 05:05 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stealth Moose
Umbrella Elite

You've come to know me so well in the short amount of time we've been interacting, Moose. That makes me hard.

(please log in to view the image)

Originally posted by Zack Fair
thumb up

Lets not forget Lisa. She scared me shitless and I was in university when it happened and had played my fair share of REs and Silent Hills.

Oh yeah, she was scary too. Good call!

Originally posted by Kazenji
Well i suppose i don't play RE for ****en multiplayer...i play it for a decent B grade story and blasting creatures.

Maybe the problem is you don't have any friends.

Why are you taking it out on a video game, bro?

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2014 06:24 AM
Stealth Moose is currently offline Click here to Send Stealth Moose a Private Message Find more posts by Stealth Moose Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

I haven't. I want the numbered main entries to get back to their roots.

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2014 07:39 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji

Maybe the problem is you don't have any friends.

erm

What the hell has having friends got to do with enjoying RE all a sudden

maybe that's how it works in your life but not mine.

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2014 07:40 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

Yeah, Kazenji doesn't need friends.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2014 07:55 AM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji

And you live in a basement, what else is new.

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2014 08:31 AM
Tzeentch
#gottem

this fist that's about to shatter your face, friend

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2014 08:35 AM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji

Yeah thought so....

don't know where this sudden need to have friends just to enjoy Resident Evil comes from.

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2014 08:42 AM
Ridley_Prime
Patriotic Judge

If a game in the series does the survival horror feel justice, who cares whether it's one of the main numerical entries or just a side story to them? One could argue that Code Veronica was the "true RE4".

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2014 12:28 PM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Gravelord
Trapped within

I honestly have difficulty understanding why people want to play years and years of the same type of survival horror. I've noticed that this started with RE5 and everyone was like, "Oh, the enemies run now? They have weapons? You have a partner so now it's easy mode? What happened to the super slow shambling T-Virus BOWs?"

What happened is the series f*cking evolved like it had to in order to avoid become a long string of derivative installments. Now, everyone loves RE5 and I remembered all the contrarian, and other, hate it got when it was first released.

Why, though? I still felt that desperation and scariness that I've felt in any other RE game I've played. Yeah, it was different. I embraced that. The first time I stepped foot into that steep lagoon and ominous music rang in the background as I tried to avoid a bunch of mastodon-sized crocodiles? That was harrowing as f*ck and it didn't matter that I was with a friend. It just scared two of us instead of one.

RE6 came along and I thought it was fantastic! It was so diverse too. Each campaign felt like they were separate games and it was excellent. The writing wasn't horrible either. It threw in some nostalgic moments (Leon's campaign, anyone?) all while maintaining it's own style, as a separate installment. Also, I've never felt more inclined to replay an RE game than I did with 6.

Also, the criticisms surrounding Chris' size and Leon essentially being Tony Jaa... what did you expect? These people survived the craziest outbreak ordeals, especially Leon, and were hired by some of the most well financed, highly trained outfits/organizations on Earth. Did you think they'd still be shaking in their boots?

I agree that the games should explore other characters, such as Rebecca and Claire, but I haven't minded where they've been going.

"Evil will hold."

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2014 01:17 PM
The Gravelord is currently offline Click here to Send The Gravelord a Private Message Find more posts by The Gravelord Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Relentless

Dude, do yourself a big favor and play RE: Revelations ASAP. You won't be disappointed at all. This is a fresh breath of survival horror after too long a time.

"We are not children of celestial f*ckin' light, walkin' arm-in-arm into the Age of Aquarius. We are wankers who
wreck the planet an' piss on each other, 'til half the world's starvin' an' the other half's busy findin'
new ways to keep from noticin' it. That's the f*ckin' limit've our potential, believe me."

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2014 01:37 PM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stealth Moose
Umbrella Elite

Originally posted by The Renegade
I honestly have difficulty understanding why people want to play years and years of the same type of survival horror. I've noticed that this started with RE5 and everyone was like, "Oh, the enemies run now? They have weapons? You have a partner so now it's easy mode? What happened to the super slow shambling T-Virus BOWs?"

What happened is the series f*cking evolved like it had to in order to avoid become a long string of derivative installments. Now, everyone loves RE5 and I remembered all the contrarian, and other, hate it got when it was first released.

Why, though? I still felt that desperation and scariness that I've felt in any other RE game I've played. Yeah, it was different. I embraced that. The first time I stepped foot into that steep lagoon and ominous music rang in the background as I tried to avoid a bunch of mastodon-sized crocodiles? That was harrowing as f*ck and it didn't matter that I was with a friend. It just scared two of us instead of one.

RE6 came along and I thought it was fantastic! It was so diverse too. Each campaign felt like they were separate games and it was excellent. The writing wasn't horrible either. It threw in some nostalgic moments (Leon's campaign, anyone?) all while maintaining it's own style, as a separate installment. Also, I've never felt more inclined to replay an RE game than I did with 6.

Also, the criticisms surrounding Chris' size and Leon essentially being Tony Jaa... what did you expect? These people survived the craziest outbreak ordeals, especially Leon, and were hired by some of the most well financed, highly trained outfits/organizations on Earth. Did you think they'd still be shaking in their boots?

I agree that the games should explore other characters, such as Rebecca and Claire, but I haven't minded where they've been going.

thumb up

Stagnation and repetition is not a good thing. As a related example, Silent Hill: Homecoming is basically a shit story with rehashed, story-irrelevant enemies from prior titles, and it was pitiful compared to all the ones that came before it. I mean, it had all the common SH elements: ridiculous fog, creepy everything, disturbing visuals and monsters, tank controls with very non-viable combat mechanics, apocalyptic diaries and weird flashbacks, etc. etc. But Homecoming failed because these things aren't as compelling as they were in the late 90's, early 2000's. In addition to a story that was meh, the game made the fatal mistake of piling on shout-outs to earlier games, up to and including Pyramid Head (whose relevance to the plot should stay strictly with SH 2). Tbh, as much as I liked the first three, The Room was my favorite, because it took the element of horror and uncertainty and made everything more personal. But the series stands as a bastion of symbolic horror.

In fact, I'd argue it did more for the genre in terms of higher quality storylines and fear than did Resident Evil, which very quickly became more and more actionized starting with 2 and 3 (dodging, zapping system, ammo is more common, the characters handle better). Each new RE title has added something to make it less unwieldy and slow and boring and more smooth, fluid, and enjoyable to actually play, rather than merely experience. Active, rather than passive storytelling. RE 6 is a natural evolution of design choices well in place before.

Also related, RE never had such deep writing and atmosphere as say, Silent Hill, it's main competitor in survival horror genre. True, it was scary at times. And it was fun. But it was never comparable. It has evolved into a game that is perhaps less reliant on jump-scares and creepy music and more reliant on a story worthy of a Hollywood movie, characters were are already invested with, with gameplay that is inclusive instead of exclusive.

I get that people don't agree; you don't have to really. But the newer titles have merits. They aren't just impure trash.

erm

What the hell has having friends got to do with enjoying RE all a sudden

maybe that's how it works in your life but not mine.

Your post implied you don't play MP at all. The underlying implication is that you don't have any friends.

But never fear - Blax will comfort you in the night, as long as you don't mind the leaky pipes in his mother's basement.

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2014 06:57 PM
-Pr-

Is RE6 trash? No.

Does it "feel" like a Resident Evil game to me? No.

I don't mind evolving the gameplay. I don't mind making characters more capable. I had no problem with steroid Chris or kung-fu Leon. Even monster Wesker was fine with me.

What bugged me about six was just how much it felt like RE blended with the stereotype of COD. Now, I like COD. I've been playing them donkey's years. What I don't like, is feeling like every new area is an "arena" where I have to get from point a to point b while being constantly attacked and hounded like some sort of gladiator fighting the undead. Sure, you can make the argument that the previous games were like that, but I honestly don't know how else to illustrate the difference I feel when I play them.

Older Resident Evil games have their faults. Of course they do. But they also had tension in ****ing bucket-loads. RE, even as it went through 2 and 3 and beyond, still had the capacity to make you dread going in to a new area.

Hell, there's a section in Resident Evil (the very first one) where you go down a ladder after fighting the snake the second time, and when I climbed down, I literally stayed in place because I could hear the clicks of the hunters in the room with me. It didn't help that the camera was pointed right at me either.

I dunno; I just felt like, after 3, the series got away from what made it so damn enjoyable in the first place. 4 is widely considered a masterpiece, and yet for some reason I just can't get in to it. I finished it one time. Once.

5... I've both slammed and lauded at times, but the short of it is that I only enjoy it when i'm playing with someone. Otherwise, no thanks.

I haven't tried 6 with a friend yet, so maybe that will help the experience.

And I've ranted. Yay...

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured... the first thought forbidden... the first freedom denied chains us all irrevocably."

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2014 07:10 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Wei Phoenix
One-Eyed Dragon Of Oshu

I didn't really see how 6 had much replayability. I only beat it twice for the Professional achievement, but after that and finding all of the collectibles and whatnot, there wasn't much to do after that unless I'm mistaken. Mercenaries was always fun though, I enjoyed that in 5 and 6.

You Wa Shock!

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2014 08:10 PM
Wei Phoenix is currently offline Click here to Send Wei Phoenix a Private Message Find more posts by Wei Phoenix Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stealth Moose
Umbrella Elite

Tbh, Mercs has always drawn more replayability than story mode in any RE since 3. Even the dual shock RE 2 super stupid find bombs mode was better than the story after the second or third time of running through it.

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2014 08:59 PM
-Pr-

Oh, Mercenaries. Honestly, I can't stand that mode. It does offer replayability though, that's true.

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured... the first thought forbidden... the first freedom denied chains us all irrevocably."

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2014 09:03 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Patriotic Judge

Originally posted by Wei Phoenix
I didn't really see how 6 had much replayability. I only beat it twice for the Professional achievement, but after that and finding all of the collectibles and whatnot, there wasn't much to do after that unless I'm mistaken. Mercenaries was always fun though, I enjoyed that in 5 and 6.

No, you're right. Well, unless maybe you count the No Hope difficulty that puts Professional to shame, but that was mainly there for those who welcome that kind of challenge and was optional. But yeah, as far as fun replayability, mercs will always be one of the saving graces of an RE game. Same with some of the multiplayer DLC's to an extent (not all of them, but some), like the Ustanak mode.

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2014 09:25 PM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote