KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Resident Evil VII

Resident Evil VII
Started by: Arachnid1

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (17): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Stealth Moose
Umbrella Elite

quote: (post)
Originally posted by -Pr-
Oh, Mercenaries. Honestly, I can't stand that mode. It does offer replayability though, that's true.

Mebbe u no good at it bro.

U MAD?

Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
No, you're right. Well, unless maybe you count the No Hope difficulty that puts Professional to shame, but that was mainly there for those who welcome that kind of challenge and was optional. But yeah, as far as fun replayability, mercs will always be one of the saving graces of an RE game. Same with some of the multiplayer DLC's to an extent (not all of them, but some), like the Ustanak mode.

thumb up

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2014 09:50 PM
Stealth Moose is currently offline Click here to Send Stealth Moose a Private Message Find more posts by Stealth Moose Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

laughing out loud

Disinterest, but you can call it crappiness if that makes you happy.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2014 10:34 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Gravelord
Trapped within

I mean, I obviously appreciated what the first installments did for the genre and how they scared me when I was younger but I cannot go back and play these games. I've tried but these are DATED games, by almost every sense of the word.

I mean, the voice acting in one alone just drains the suspense right out of it. The remake isn't so bad but RE1 (original) also lacks atmosphere. I felt like RE2 made up for that in so many ways, even though it's voice acting is kind of sh*t as well.

I mean, I even have trouble going back to RE2. There's a lot of moments in those two games that startle me and have me jump but genuinely scaring me? I mean, not so much. Again, I think RE2 is greater in this regard as well. (I mean, your first encounter with Mr. X? Come on, who didn't soil themselves?)

However, these games don't have the dynamic storytelling that the later installments have. There's no moment where a completely triumphant Wesker is whipping around a room, skillfully smashing Chris and Jill until Jill makes the ultimate sacrifice to "win" the rumble. NOTHING like that happened. Sure, there were moments but the narration was lacking, compared to the newer games.

RE6 had scary moments too but was more of a complete game. I was nervous as Leon when Tall Oaks essentially became Raccoon City 2.0 because it took me back. However, later on, waking up in the lab, scrambling to reunite Jack and Sherry as BOWs hunt you down was also terrifying but just different.

Some people weren't scared but I was. I find a lot of the hate, and this is anecdotal, has to do with people's nostalgia and the fact that they were younger so were not desensitized or as likely to be scared by these games, (I'm lucky enough that games like this still scared the living daylights out of me.) which ends up translating to the newer ones being "average," "not as good," or "not feeling like an RE game."

I have never felt that. It's not a common perspective and some people may not understand but I've never picked up an RE title, especially an entry into the primary series, and felt it wasn't a "true" RE game. I felt that and I realize that it had to be different. I'm sorry but I would have been bored to tears if I was wandering in a mansion again with similar controls (The controls are also what made the initial installments scary. It added to it) or anywhere else with T-Virus zombies.

Also, it made sense for these viruses to have counterparts/evolve/be different. Look at the giant nefarious company behind the development of this virus and their containment issues/f*ck ups. It makes sense it happened again and with many of their other viruses. It makes sense that a company with similar interests (Tricell) continued Umbrella's work.

I don't know. RE5 did well enough critically but I feel like RE6 got it bad and unfairly. I loved it and definitely thought it "felt" like Resident Evil. That's just me.

"Evil will hold."

Old Post Apr 24th, 2014 12:22 AM
The Gravelord is currently offline Click here to Send The Gravelord a Private Message Find more posts by The Gravelord Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stealth Moose
Umbrella Elite

laughing out loud

Disinterest, but you can call it crappiness if that makes you happy.

Concession accepted.

Old Post Apr 24th, 2014 01:05 AM
Stealth Moose is currently offline Click here to Send Stealth Moose a Private Message Find more posts by Stealth Moose Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Wei Phoenix
One-Eyed Dragon Of Oshu

I found Jake to be a decent character, wasn't the best, wasn't even the best new character introduced. He wasn't as bad as people make him sound, I believe Piers was the best new character and I think Capcom messed up by killing him off. I was so excited at the thought of him taking the reigns and leading his own squad in the BSAA. I was sure that Chris would've been back in future installments even if he did retire so I don't understand why he had to get killed off.

You Wa Shock!

Old Post Apr 24th, 2014 01:18 AM
Wei Phoenix is currently offline Click here to Send Wei Phoenix a Private Message Find more posts by Wei Phoenix Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Gravelord
Trapped within

Originally posted by Wei Phoenix
I found Jake to be a decent character, wasn't the best, wasn't even the best new character introduced. He wasn't as bad as people make him sound, I believe Piers was the best new character and I think Capcom messed up by killing him off. I was so excited at the thought of him taking the reigns and leading his own squad in the BSAA. I was sure that Chris would've been back in future installments even if he did retire so I don't understand why he had to get killed off.

Oh God, I disagree so much. I couldn't stand Piers. My favorite semi-new introduction was Sherry definitely. I thought Jake was the coolest cat. Definitely.

"Evil will hold."

Old Post Apr 24th, 2014 01:22 AM
The Gravelord is currently offline Click here to Send The Gravelord a Private Message Find more posts by The Gravelord Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Wei Phoenix
One-Eyed Dragon Of Oshu

Originally posted by The Renegade
Oh God, I disagree so much. I couldn't stand Piers. My favorite semi-new introduction was Sherry definitely. I thought Jake was the coolest cat. Definitely.

Ok

You Wa Shock!

Old Post Apr 24th, 2014 01:24 AM
Wei Phoenix is currently offline Click here to Send Wei Phoenix a Private Message Find more posts by Wei Phoenix Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by Stealth Moose
Concession accepted.

lol, I can see this is important to you.

Originally posted by The Renegade
I mean, I obviously appreciated what the first installments did for the genre and how they scared me when I was younger but I cannot go back and play these games. I've tried but these are DATED games, by almost every sense of the word.

I mean, the voice acting in one alone just drains the suspense right out of it. The remake isn't so bad but RE1 (original) also lacks atmosphere. I felt like RE2 made up for that in so many ways, even though it's voice acting is kind of sh*t as well.

I mean, I even have trouble going back to RE2. There's a lot of moments in those two games that startle me and have me jump but genuinely scaring me? I mean, not so much. Again, I think RE2 is greater in this regard as well. (I mean, your first encounter with Mr. X? Come on, who didn't soil themselves?)

However, these games don't have the dynamic storytelling that the later installments have. There's no moment where a completely triumphant Wesker is whipping around a room, skillfully smashing Chris and Jill until Jill makes the ultimate sacrifice to "win" the rumble. NOTHING like that happened. Sure, there were moments but the narration was lacking, compared to the newer games.

RE6 had scary moments too but was more of a complete game. I was nervous as Leon when Tall Oaks essentially became Raccoon City 2.0 because it took me back. However, later on, waking up in the lab, scrambling to reunite Jack and Sherry as BOWs hunt you down was also terrifying but just different.

Some people weren't scared but I was. I find a lot of the hate, and this is anecdotal, has to do with people's nostalgia and the fact that they were younger so were not desensitized or as likely to be scared by these games, (I'm lucky enough that games like this still scared the living daylights out of me.) which ends up translating to the newer ones being "average," "not as good," or "not feeling like an RE game."

I have never felt that. It's not a common perspective and some people may not understand but I've never picked up an RE title, especially an entry into the primary series, and felt it wasn't a "true" RE game. I felt that and I realize that it had to be different. I'm sorry but I would have been bored to tears if I was wandering in a mansion again with similar controls (The controls are also what made the initial installments scary. It added to it) or anywhere else with T-Virus zombies.

Also, it made sense for these viruses to have counterparts/evolve/be different. Look at the giant nefarious company behind the development of this virus and their containment issues/f*ck ups. It makes sense it happened again and with many of their other viruses. It makes sense that a company with similar interests (Tricell) continued Umbrella's work.

I don't know. RE5 did well enough critically but I feel like RE6 got it bad and unfairly. I loved it and definitely thought it "felt" like Resident Evil. That's just me.

That's fair enough; I think we just get different things out of the games in the series.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Apr 24th, 2014 01:27 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I will say that I was more freaked out in RE4 then I was in previous RE games. It was the pending dread of the chainsaw guy chasing me through the village, or El Gigante slowly moving towards me while I kick that door down. That's why RE4 was so damn intense for me because not one time did I feel comfortable.

I miss that in RE5 and RE6 and the previous versions.

Old Post Apr 24th, 2014 02:02 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

You didn't feel it in 2 or 3 with the tyrant or nemesis?

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Apr 24th, 2014 02:06 AM
Stealth Moose
Umbrella Elite

T-103 and Nemesis made me shit bricks.

Old Post Apr 24th, 2014 02:30 AM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Same. They were excellently done.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Apr 24th, 2014 02:33 AM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

You didn't feel it in 2 or 3 with the tyrant or nemesis?

I never played three (didn't have a PS1)

I only played 2 and while I was scared, it was the controls and dying that did it for me. In RE4, where the controls are much better, I was constantly freaked out.

I just replayed it and I got the same feeling as before. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't get that if I replayed 2. I'm much more desensitized when games try to do horror. A game like Outcast would of freaked the **** out of me if I played it in high school (when I played 2), but I wasn't nearly as a scared than I thought I would be.

Anyways, I hope RE7 goes back to RE4 and what made that game so awesome. I hope they do not go further back because I don't want to play some isometric, shitty ass control trying to be scary type of RE.

Old Post Apr 24th, 2014 03:17 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by Smasandian
I never played three (didn't have a PS1)

I only played 2 and while I was scared, it was the controls and dying that did it for me. In RE4, where the controls are much better, I was constantly freaked out.

I just replayed it and I got the same feeling as before. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't get that if I replayed 2. I'm much more desensitized when games try to do horror. A game like Outcast would of freaked the **** out of me if I played it in high school (when I played 2), but I wasn't nearly as a scared than I thought I would be.

Anyways, I hope RE7 goes back to RE4 and what made that game so awesome. I hope they do not go further back because I don't want to play some isometric, shitty ass control trying to be scary type of RE.

I know the feeling of being desensitized, sadly. sad

Honestly, I hope it goes back to the first three in terms of tone and atmosphere; it can have all of the good controls it likes, but those were the sweet spot for me.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Apr 24th, 2014 03:22 AM
Stoic
Avenger

Originally posted by Stealth Moose
T-103 and Nemesis made me shit bricks.

Yeah me too ha ha. It was so bad that I turned it off, and sold the game. Real talk, I was so scared, that I almost soiled my pants laughing out loud whoo ha ha ha ha........... I was sore afraid.

Old Post Apr 24th, 2014 03:41 AM
Stoic is currently offline Click here to Send Stoic a Private Message Find more posts by Stoic Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Gravelord
Trapped within

Yeah, Nemesis was pretty scary.

"Evil will hold."

Old Post Apr 24th, 2014 04:08 AM
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

Couldn't agree more on Piers. Can agree on Jake as well; he was alright. Nothing too horrible, but wasn't that great either.

Much as I hate to admit it though, Piers' death did make the ending of Chris's campaign that much more powerful. Like hands down proved to be the best finale out of 6's campaigns because of the way it all ended, with the ending of Jake's coming in close 2nd. All IMO of course.

Maybe I'm just used to these kind of cliches, but the moment Chris told Piers he was gonna retire, I figured one of them would die in the end but just wasn't sure whom, because that's how things like that usually turn out, for the dramatic effect. Makes it even more sad for Chris though; just when he thought he would respectfully retire after having his fair share of fighting bioterrorism, only to find out that for some people the battle never ends.

Still though, yeah. He and Leon could both use a break now for this next main game. Whether Jake or Sherry are back or not, I agree with others they should have some of the other characters they haven't used in awhile make a grand return. That's about the only thing there is to speculate or straw grasp as to what they could/should do for an RE7, before we see a trailer. :\

Old Post Apr 24th, 2014 06:02 AM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lek Kuen
Ti Lun

I found Jake to be a decent character

And here we have on-panel proof that Wei has no taste

Props to Scythe for the sig

Old Post Apr 24th, 2014 06:04 AM
Lek Kuen is currently offline Click here to Send Lek Kuen a Private Message Find more posts by Lek Kuen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

If he hadn't said what he said about Piers, then I'd might agree. lol

Old Post Apr 24th, 2014 06:15 AM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Gravelord
Trapped within

Piers was awful. I don't understand the love he gets. Jake could be obnoxious but at least he had spunk. Piers made me want to rip my balls off.

"Evil will hold."

Old Post Apr 24th, 2014 06:20 AM