KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Mass Effect: Andromeda

Mass Effect: Andromeda
Started by: Arachnid1

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (37): « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
KingD19
Shai-Gen's Enigmatic Wong

"Every single choice you make matters. But you still die in the end...like regardless of what you do. 100% Completion and you did everything right? Yeah you still die."

People are gonna love this! - Casey Hudson

Old Post Aug 10th, 2014 05:42 PM
KingD19 is currently offline Click here to Send KingD19 a Private Message Find more posts by KingD19 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

quote: (post)
Originally posted by FinalAnswer
Cutting out neutral dialogue choices is one of the worst development decisions I've ever seen.

Yep, which sucked for me too seeing as I chose neutral options a lot in ME2.

Originally posted by KingD19
"Every single choice you make matters. But you still die in the end...like regardless of what you do. 100% Completion and you did everything right? Yeah you still die."

Yeah. So much for "choice".

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Aug 10th, 2014 05:46 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arachnid1

Originally posted by KingD19

Well, you could save Shepard's life if you met certain requirements, but point taken.

ME2 is still my favorite in the series. It had the best teamates, and I loved the suicide mission storyline. It was sad watching some of them die in ME3 though.

PWNT

Old Post Aug 10th, 2014 07:21 PM
Arachnid1 is currently offline Click here to Send Arachnid1 a Private Message Find more posts by Arachnid1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KingD19

The only way you really "save" his life is by doing the Destroy Ending, and you get a short clip of him taking a deep breath in the rubble of the Citadel right before the screen cuts to black. Because I did everything.

Old Post Aug 10th, 2014 07:35 PM
KingD19 is currently offline Click here to Send KingD19 a Private Message Find more posts by KingD19 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I still enjoyed it. A lot actually. I don't get caught up by what designers say. Development isn't set in stone. Sometimes something doesn't work out and needs to be removed.

As long as the game is good, that's all I really care about.

When I was a chef and was planning menus, there is a fair bit of times where I tell somebody I'm doing something. I test it out and it's shit so I do different things. Same thing can happen with games.

I guess the problem is that people say way too many things before the game gets released.

Old Post Aug 11th, 2014 01:41 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Firefly218
Restricted

Account Restricted

IMO, Bioware should make the ending a dream sequence. That way, ME4 can open with Shepard waking up to a nearly destroyed universe.

Old Post Aug 11th, 2014 01:54 AM
Firefly218 is currently offline Click here to Send Firefly218 a Private Message Find more posts by Firefly218 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

The original ending wasn't the greatest. If it was the Extended Ending was the original one, the backlash would be less severe.

But in my opinion, the third game was the most epic game I have played. It was exactly what I wanted in the third. Seeing Reapers destroy Earth at the start made it memorable for me. I would argue that all three endings the series were roughly the same no matter what decisions you made.

Old Post Aug 11th, 2014 02:09 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Based
iPinoy

Originally posted by Nephthys
Oh yeah. Theres maybe a hundred dialogue choices in the whole game, it's insane. It was barely an RPG in any area anymore. Limited dialogue, limited sidequests, limited customisation, very linear in terms of where you can go and what you can do.

But this has always been a BioWare complaint. Dialogue, okay first time they dropped the ball there but it's somewhat redeemable in the very end when you talk to your squad before the final battle. That gives me chills EVERY time.

This wasn't an issue of appealing to "casuals." They were probably rushed because it's EA but BioWare truly doesn't believe in aspects of other RPGs.

They don't believe in exploration or big worlds. They don't believe in side quests because that will distract you from the one thing BioWare believes they invented: story. To them exploring, or doing other quests is no big deal compared to their "epic narratives!" Which were at times epic but they are definitely losing steam.

As technology progresses and they look to improve their games there should be a correlation with more open, unique and fresh worlds. We've had an inverse effect. ME1 at least attempted exploration then it got scrapped in ME2 and ME3 was an even bigger joke. You can't even go back to some planets...

DAO had a decent world but DA2...****ing horrendous. I'm so glad Skyrim kicked BioWare's ass and humbled them on their "winning" formula. Now they're forced to look at what they're doing and implement some of what made Skyrim good.

I ranted more than I intended but BioWare didn't suddenly just suck at making RPGs with ME3, they've gradually been doing it for awhile.

Old Post Aug 11th, 2014 02:46 AM
Based is currently offline Click here to Send Based a Private Message Find more posts by Based Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

In fact, ME2 is less of an RPG than ME3 is. You barely have any choices on how to upgrade your character and both ME2 and ME3 follow the same mission structure as well. ME1 and ME2 have missions that take place on planets and you have a choice on what to do first but at certain times, missions appear that will need to be done right away. As well, ME2 last mission is unavoidable if you accidentally trigger the previous mission.

You can't compare Bethesda to Bioware. Both do different things and have been for a very long time. Bioware creates stories and are excellent at universe building. Bethesda create excellent open world sandboxes but have shit storytelling.

Last edited by Smasandian on Aug 11th, 2014 at 03:08 AM

Old Post Aug 11th, 2014 03:01 AM
Based
iPinoy

Originally posted by Smasandian
You can't compare Bethesda to Bioware. Both do different things and have been for a very long time. Bioware creates stories and are excellent at universe building. Bethesda create excellent open world sandboxes but have shit storytelling.

Of course but Bethesda has been trying to improve with each and every game.

BioWare is staying the course or at some points devolving. They don't have to be completely open like Skyrim or Fallout but at least make a damn effort to try and have an open world.

Like in ME1 they have shown that they can try and juggle between an open ideal RPG game with an epic story. Far from perfect but a solid beginning. But with each installment they take things out instead of trying to add more features. That was a bit cocky of them and in the end it blew up.

ME2 is one of my favorite games to play but that had its issues too. It was erased by how awesome the suicide mission was.

Old Post Aug 11th, 2014 03:10 AM
Based is currently offline Click here to Send Based a Private Message Find more posts by Based Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I loved ME2. Fantastic game. Just like I loved ME1 and ME3. All three games were really good.

I don't know why Bioware needs to create open world games? That's not why I play Bioware games.

Supposedly DA3 will have much more open environments but a series like Mass Effect doesn't seem to need open worlds. I always felt the series was more about the alien species you encounter and less about the environment you were in.

Old Post Aug 11th, 2014 03:18 AM
Firefly218
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Smasandian
I loved ME2. Fantastic game. Just like I loved ME1 and ME3. All three games were really good.

I don't know why Bioware needs to create open world games? That's not why I play Bioware games.

Supposedly DA3 will have much more open environments but a series like Mass Effect doesn't seem to need open worlds. I always felt the series was more about the alien species you encounter and less about the environment you were in.

thumb up

ME doesn't need open world. Focus is on the narrative and how it's influenced by the choices gamers make.

Old Post Aug 11th, 2014 03:37 AM
Firefly218 is currently offline Click here to Send Firefly218 a Private Message Find more posts by Firefly218 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KingD19

A game based in space and featuring a multitude of aliens and planets and stuff absolutely needs open worlds. You make a game featuring the entire galaxy, that makes people want to explore. You bring out aliens, people want to know about them and where they come from. I would have loved to visit the Asari or Drell/Hanar homeworld. It had sooooo much potential.

Old Post Aug 11th, 2014 04:28 AM
Lek Kuen
Ti Lun

Don't need open worlds. But I do things the places we went should have been more open then they were. Like more places like the citadel that you can walk around and really get a feel of outside of the specific path

Props to Scythe for the sig

Old Post Aug 11th, 2014 04:29 AM
Lek Kuen is currently offline Click here to Send Lek Kuen a Private Message Find more posts by Lek Kuen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Firefly218
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Lek Kuen
Don't need open worlds. But I do things the places we went should have been more open then they were. Like more places like the citadel that you can walk around and really get a feel of outside of the specific path

Agree. That would have been great.

The reason Citadel was my favorite place was because it was properly fleshed out with interesting people, places and things you could explore.

Old Post Aug 11th, 2014 05:44 AM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I would agree that some places could of have been a bit more open but I always felt that ME wasn't about the environments but how the story was told.

For instance, the Reapers are invaded the known galaxy and destroy the Turian home planet and your off doing sidequests and exploring every nook and cranny (like in Skyrim)....kind of ruins the vibe of the game.

Old Post Aug 11th, 2014 03:56 PM
The Gravelord
Trapped within

Originally posted by Nephthys
I recently watched a livestream of ME3 and it was surprisingly mediocre on the whole. Mostly from being rushed, poor design and executive meddling. Its still a good game, but no masterpiece.

I mean, Kai Lang? The dream sequences? The awful sidequest system? Cerberus? War assets? The intro? And all the stupid things they had to put in for new players. It occasionally touches brilliance, but theres still a lot wrong with the game other than the ending.

ME3 isn't technically a poorly designed game, though. ME3 is thoroughly a masterpiece and is up there with the other two installments. It effectively carries a balanced and solidly dark storyline through it's paces. The whole "pick your color" joke is funny but has no merit. Any conclusion, or part of a tale for that matter, can be trivialized with such carelessness. I've seen it countless times.

ME3 generates a whole host of contrarian hate and really bad criticism. I'm not on that bandwagon.

*Kai Leng.

Ugh...

"Evil will hold."

Old Post Aug 13th, 2014 09:13 PM
The Gravelord is currently offline Click here to Send The Gravelord a Private Message Find more posts by The Gravelord Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FinalAnswer
Flower

Nah it's pretty bad

Howdy!

Old Post Aug 13th, 2014 09:20 PM
FinalAnswer is currently offline Click here to Send FinalAnswer a Private Message Find more posts by FinalAnswer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zack Fair
Fanboy

Mass Effect 3 was an epic ride. Only complaint was the stupid kid in dreams plot and the horrible, horrible ending.

Many thanks to Rao Kal-EL Da Man

Old Post Aug 13th, 2014 09:26 PM
Zack Fair is currently offline Click here to Send Zack Fair a Private Message Find more posts by Zack Fair Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by The Renegade
ME3 isn't technically a poorly designed game, though. ME3 is thoroughly a masterpiece and is up there with the other two installments. It effectively carries a balanced and solidly dark storyline through it's paces. The whole "pick your color" joke is funny but has no merit. Any conclusion, or part of a tale for that matter, can be trivialized with such carelessness. I've seen it countless times.

ME3 generates a whole host of contrarian hate and really bad criticism. I'm not on that bandwagon.

*Kai Leng.

Ugh...

Technically it is a poorly designed game. Its quite lazily and sloppily made. Like, if you want to see a quick indication of this skip to 1:41:20 -

Note that this is after he's already pointed out how they cut corners on the scaling of that environment. Check out 2:17:30 for more on this kind of thing. And then theres all the other poor design decisions we've already mentioned. Like, the dude on the last page was sperging hard about open environments and shit, but he still had a good point about how much smaller and restrictive ME3 is compared to the other two. Even in ME2 you could go to the Citadel, Omega, Tuchanka and Illium in between missions. In ME3 you could go to the Citadel.

Furthermore, its attempts at a dark storyline are frequently undercut by its poor attempts at drama and plain ol' bad writing. The stupid kid in the vent, the dream sequences, a blatant deus ex machina resolution, Thessia, Cerberus being the primary antagonist for much of the game, Tali's face, many of your choices not mattering, Thessia, the Rachni resolution, Thessia etc.

Kai Shitlord doesn't deserve for me to remember how to spell his stupid name.

Last edited by Nephthys on Aug 13th, 2014 at 09:48 PM

Old Post Aug 13th, 2014 09:41 PM
Nephthys is currently offline Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote