KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Mass Effect: Andromeda

Mass Effect: Andromeda
Started by: Arachnid1

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (37): « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 10 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Zack Fair
Mass Effect 3 was an epic ride. Only complaint was the stupid kid in dreams plot and the horrible, horrible ending.

It would've been more deep if Shepard's dream sequences had him go through a river styx like in MGS3 and meet everyone he/she killed throughout the games. The kid is lame.

Thanks Scythe for the sig.

Old Post Aug 13th, 2014 09:49 PM
Nemesis X is currently offline Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zack Fair
Fanboy

You mentioned Thessia 3 times lol.

What was so wrong with it? I only played the game once, so memory is blurry and I don't remember much

Many thanks to Rao Kal-EL Da Man

Old Post Aug 13th, 2014 09:51 PM
Zack Fair is currently offline Click here to Send Zack Fair a Private Message Find more posts by Zack Fair Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FinalAnswer
Flower

(please log in to view the image)

Howdy!

Old Post Aug 13th, 2014 10:09 PM
FinalAnswer is currently offline Click here to Send FinalAnswer a Private Message Find more posts by FinalAnswer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

It's overwrought, emotionally manipulative and the Kai Leng fight is awful. Nothing worse than a boss who cheats to force you to lose.

Old Post Aug 13th, 2014 10:10 PM
Nephthys is currently offline Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zack Fair
Fanboy

Emotionally manipulative?

Old Post Aug 13th, 2014 10:14 PM
Zack Fair is currently offline Click here to Send Zack Fair a Private Message Find more posts by Zack Fair Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

It tries to play out as some great tragedy even though we've never been there before and don't really care THAT much. It tries to make you feel as though you failed even though the boss cheats with invincibility and makes you lose in a cutscene. It hammers in over and over "we win here and we win the war!" to make you feel bad when you're forced to lose. And other stuff.

Old Post Aug 13th, 2014 10:19 PM
Nephthys is currently offline Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Gravelord
Trapped within

Originally posted by Zack Fair
Emotionally manipulative?

It's a straw clutching. A massive one. Like, a criticism he's expressed, legitimately, is a context-specific boss loss. It doesn't get any more ridiculous than that.

"Evil will hold."

Old Post Aug 13th, 2014 10:30 PM
The Gravelord is currently offline Click here to Send The Gravelord a Private Message Find more posts by The Gravelord Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zack Fair
Fanboy

Originally posted by Nephthys
It tries to play out as some great tragedy even though we've never been there before and don't really care THAT much. It tries to make you feel as though you failed even though the boss cheats with invincibility and makes you lose in a cutscene. It hammers in over and over "we win here and we win the war!" to make you feel bad when you're forced to lose. And other stuff.
I kind of agree, but IMHO it is not that bad.

Old Post Aug 13th, 2014 10:43 PM
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Originally posted by Nephthys

Speak for yourself. I cared very much because of how important Thessia was to the Galaxy as a whole - as a symbol. It spoke to how dire the situation was for the Galaxy's crown jewel to fall and created a very hopeless tone.

Old Post Aug 14th, 2014 08:54 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arachnid1

Originally posted by BackFire
Speak for yourself. I cared very much because of how important Thessia was to the Galaxy as a whole - as a symbol. It spoke to how dire the situation was for the Galaxy's crown jewel to fall and created a very hopeless tone.
Yep. I loved the 'against the odds' feel ME3 had. Then again, I've always been a sucker for tragedies. Its why I've always loved Silent Hill so much, and why I've fallen in love with Game of Thrones more recently.

PWNT

Old Post Aug 14th, 2014 09:25 AM
Arachnid1 is currently offline Click here to Send Arachnid1 a Private Message Find more posts by Arachnid1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zack Fair
Fanboy

I too felt the desperation over losing the asari homeworld as I struggled to fight for it like backfire said. I wasnt fond on the boss fight and how it forced the loss though. So Im kind of conflicted.

Old Post Aug 14th, 2014 09:32 AM
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

That kinda thing where you can't "beat the boss" at a specific point before the ending is a common thing, it's not unique to ME3. There's a segment like that in ME1 with Saren at Virmire where no matter what you "lose" to him, and this is done to carry the story onward, as it was in ME3.

Old Post Aug 14th, 2014 10:04 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zack Fair
Fanboy

I know why it happened. I just didn't really like it this time around. But it is not like it drags the game down or anything. My only complaint is the original endng and the kid dreams. Just wasnt my cup of tea.

Old Post Aug 14th, 2014 10:07 AM
KingD19
Shai-Gen's Enigmatic Wong

I just wish they'd gone with the Indoctrination Theory instead of all the...well crap we got. Like you pick your flavor of kool-aid, and then you get the ending sequence, etc, etc,...and then when you think it's all over. Shepard wakes up, and the game continues. And then you get a real ending, not some lazy bullsh*t.

Old Post Aug 14th, 2014 10:28 AM
KingD19 is currently offline Click here to Send KingD19 a Private Message Find more posts by KingD19 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

I think it might have been interesting if we got back to Earth and Anderson was indoctrinated and had been feeding the Reapers the info you've been giving him since a certain point in the game. That would have been neat to go up against him as a boss and it would have allowed for some great foreshadowing throughout the game.

Old Post Aug 14th, 2014 10:57 AM
KingD19

Actually...that would have worked great. He could have been exposed as far back as Soveriegn or anywhere in between and because of the distance from the Reapers, or as a contingency, it just took a while for him to 'activate', or they just waited till later. And Anderson would be the last person you expect.

Old Post Aug 14th, 2014 11:02 AM
KingD19 is currently offline Click here to Send KingD19 a Private Message Find more posts by KingD19 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Yeah, it would be a total shock. And don't forget that he's been on Earth, neck deep in Reapers the whole game. You'd expect him to be indoctrinated at that point. You keep hearing from him about how he's fighting the good fight and how they're struggling, but dammit they're struggling hard. So how effective would it be to get there and learn that they were overrun months ago, Anderson was captured and indoctrinated and you just walked right into the trap the Reapers set because you trusted him completely and told him everything about the plan.

Old Post Aug 14th, 2014 11:26 AM
KingD19

That would have been a total WTF just happened moment and such a good twist that early career Shaymalan would have been proud. And also you became emotionally invested in Anderson as he was something of a father figure to Shepard, even if you were a Space and talked to his mom like those...2-3 times they allowed over the course of all 3 games.

The thought of potentially having to kill him to take a step forward in saving the galaxy would have made me put my controller down.

Old Post Aug 14th, 2014 11:29 AM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Originally posted by BackFire

That's why I loved ME3. The game needed to be epic and Bioware didn't disappoint. You can argue the ending wasn't as good as it could be but for 35 hours of that game, it was ****ing awesome.

Old Post Aug 14th, 2014 01:10 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by Smasandian
I still enjoyed it. A lot actually. I don't get caught up by what designers say. Development isn't set in stone. Sometimes something doesn't work out and needs to be removed.

As long as the game is good, that's all I really care about.

When I was a chef and was planning menus, there is a fair bit of times where I tell somebody I'm doing something. I test it out and it's shit so I do different things. Same thing can happen with games.

I guess the problem is that people say way too many things before the game gets released.

I honestly don't think that's a fair excuse. ME3's faults can't be put down to "we ran out of time", when it's obvious they made conscious decisions to change certain things.

Hudson flat out lied to us. I enjoyed the shit out of several levels in ME3. Some of them were, to use your own words, epic. The game just has failings too, and I think in the end they make the game suffer to an extent.

What could have been a masterpiece became instead just a very good game.

Originally posted by Based
But this has always been a BioWare complaint. Dialogue, okay first time they dropped the ball there but it's somewhat redeemable in the very end when you talk to your squad before the final battle. That gives me chills EVERY time.

This wasn't an issue of appealing to "casuals." They were probably rushed because it's EA but BioWare truly doesn't believe in aspects of other RPGs.

They don't believe in exploration or big worlds. They don't believe in side quests because that will distract you from the one thing BioWare believes they invented: story. To them exploring, or doing other quests is no big deal compared to their "epic narratives!" Which were at times epic but they are definitely losing steam.

As technology progresses and they look to improve their games there should be a correlation with more open, unique and fresh worlds. We've had an inverse effect. ME1 at least attempted exploration then it got scrapped in ME2 and ME3 was an even bigger joke. You can't even go back to some planets...

DAO had a decent world but DA2...****ing horrendous. I'm so glad Skyrim kicked BioWare's ass and humbled them on their "winning" formula. Now they're forced to look at what they're doing and implement some of what made Skyrim good.

I ranted more than I intended but BioWare didn't suddenly just suck at making RPGs with ME3, they've gradually been doing it for awhile.

they did dumb the game down quite a bit, though. They did improve the gun customisation and selection from 2, which is great, but Mass Effect is first and foremost about the story and the characters.

ME2 was perfectly fine as regards side missions, and honestly, I consider ME2 to be a much better game than Skyrim.

That's just me though.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Aug 18th, 2014 08:22 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote