KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Refugee Reviews

Refugee Reviews
Started by: Julie

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Julie
The Student

Refugee Reviews

Ok people here's the deal...you give me feedback on how you liked this book...I promise to do so as well...uh after I get around to reading it and uh buying it... embarrasment
I have finals this week and then I am going on a retreat and so long story short it'll be at least a week and a half b/f I read it all...
Promise to give me honest view points on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Post May 5th, 2003 03:15 AM
Click here to Send Julie a Private Message Find more posts by Julie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Julie
The Student

ok...update...I finally got the book...don't expect to read it for at least a week though

Old Post May 9th, 2003 06:51 PM
Click here to Send Julie a Private Message Find more posts by Julie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

if you want I can give you a review in august stick out tongue

Old Post May 9th, 2003 07:44 PM
Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Julie
The Student

I forgot about this thread....I finished refugee. It was a decent star wars book...which means really good compared to others:-)
hmmm let's think here back tot he story.
I liked the [SPOILER - highlight to read]: action with Jacen rescuing someone and Jaina has a fair amount of page time. For some reason I distinctly remember the beginning of the story as well...I found it rather strange.
The story quickly moves on and adequately holds a reader's interest. Malinza was a interesting character and the return to Bakura was nice.
Jag doesn't get too much page tiome, but that's ok. Tahiri's character develops the most I think. Her inner conflict composes most of the action. Daring plots and strikes and such make for an interesting story line a good read8 or 10...just b/c I feel like arbitrarily giving a rating:-)

Last edited by Julie on May 30th, 2003 at 02:25 AM

Old Post May 30th, 2003 02:13 AM
ChrisKottong

hmm... :S

Because I don't know how to do the spoiler thing yet...
{ THERE ARE SPOILERS AHEAD... DO NOT READ THE REVIEW IF YOU HAVE NOT READ THE BOOK YET AS SOMETHING I SAID MAY GIVE SOMETHING AWAY}

Well Julie, I respect what you said but I beg to differ... sad . I thought that the way the authors twisted the ideas of the force and the jedi kind of ruined it. When Jacen came back from Vergere and the Yuuzhan Vong and was giving in to his dark emotions with knowledge and using it as a tool and mainly just flipping out and killing Vong everyone I was happy, in fact I was elated. Finally the Jedi figured it out... now they could kill the Yuuzhan Vong, and then there was "the Ganner". Who will forever be one of my favorite Jedi.

The problem was that in this book all the Jedi all of a sudden didn't want to fight anymore, in fact they went to such far lengths so they didn't have to fight it didn't seem realistic. Like when Luke got into the X-Wing while fighting with the Empire... seriously... nobody needs to be Luke's "bodyguard" while he is in an X-Wing, it should have been talking about how he had more kills in that battle than most Empirical squadrons did combined in the same battle. I know that is a stretch, but you know what I mean... The Jedi are my favorites and the authors down played them so much that normal humans were keeping up with them while running etc. It seemed kind of pointless to have been a Jedi... they were more like confused diplomats.

However, you were very right on the fact that it was well written, the authors are both very good at creating suspense and action. They also did very well on what events actually took place. They did a good job with character creation etc.

Anyway, I hope I can get the spoiler thing down messed... haha. I think this is my first post.

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2003 06:55 AM
Click here to Send ChrisKottong a Private Message Find more posts by ChrisKottong Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

ChrisKottong:
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f38/t2954_1.html
read it

I'll get it in a few days actually... though I still haven't finished part one ... have to say, longest I ever needed to finish a NJO book, don't like it that much

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2003 11:04 AM
Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Julie
The Student

eh the less you like this one ...the more hopet here is that you'll be enjoying the rest of em:-)

Old Post Jun 27th, 2003 01:47 AM
yerssot

well, I hope I'll like this one (got it yesterday), at the end partI had some nice thingies I hope to read more about smile

Old Post Jun 27th, 2003 10:02 AM