KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Sports Forum » 2014 FIFA World Cup thred

2014 FIFA World Cup thred
Started by: Robtard

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (17): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Robtard
Senor Member

2014 FIFA World Cup thred

Less than two weeks away now. Just getting it ready to get ready.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post May 30th, 2014 11:56 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

I have three teams I'm rooting for. USA, Belgium, and Germany.

I expect to be rooting for USA until the end of the group stage or Round of 16, Belgium till the Quarter Finals, and Germany I hope to the very end.

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post May 31st, 2014 03:19 AM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

This clip accurately says everything I think about the World Cup. It's a gluttonous event run by a despicable organization. It claims lives and hurts economies.

And I'm super excited for it. Quite a dichotomy, and one I wish I didn't have to wrestle with.

England is my only backup team after the US. Both could advance out of the group stage, so I'm hopeful.

Old Post Jun 11th, 2014 06:00 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eaebiakuya

Agree.

In Brazil most of the people are against the World Cup being here (myself included). It should happen in countrys who dont have so many problems (like England, Germany, etc).

But still, cant wait for the games. I will do everything i can to watch Spain vs Netherlands...

Here we can go to home earlier from work in the days of Brazil games (in World Cup). I wonder if that happens in other countrys.

Last edited by eaebiakuya on Jun 11th, 2014 at 08:07 PM

Old Post Jun 11th, 2014 07:56 PM
eaebiakuya is currently offline Click here to Send eaebiakuya a Private Message Find more posts by eaebiakuya Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

yeah, Fifa are *****. The fiasco with Brazil is just, plain horrible. And Qatar? yeah, *****. Cunty *****.

Here's hoping Uefa finally have enough of their shit, and keep calling them on it, because there's no way Uefa will postpone the Champions League because of Fifa.

But so much football... So beautiful. One whole month... Multiple matches a day for a large quantity of it. It's gonna be AWESOME.

Except for the Beckham thing. The English fascination with him is just weird.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by eaebiakuya
Agree.

In Brazil most of the people are against the World Cup being here (myself included). It should happen in countrys who dont have so many problems (like England, Germany, etc).

But still, cant wait for the games. I will do everything i can to watch Spain vs Netherlands...

Here we can go to home earlier from work in the days of Brazil games (in World Cup). I wonder if that happens in other countrys.

When Ireland were in the World Cup, our country basically stopped for the two hours during the matches. literally; streets would be empty.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Jun 11th, 2014 08:05 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eaebiakuya

About England, i found funny and bizarre see a a military truck (and others army cars), with soldiers with machine guns protect the england bus. I mean...people who see this video will think Brazil is the middle of a civil war or something like that, lol.

quote:
When Ireland were in the World Cup, our country basically stopped for the two hours during the matches. literally; streets would be empty.

I guess then this happen in every country in the world.

Last edited by eaebiakuya on Jun 11th, 2014 at 08:18 PM

Old Post Jun 11th, 2014 08:12 PM
eaebiakuya is currently offline Click here to Send eaebiakuya a Private Message Find more posts by eaebiakuya Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by eaebiakuya
About England, i found funny and bizarre see a a military truck (and others army cars), with soldiers with machine guns protect the england bus. I mean...people who see this video will think Brazil is the middle of a civil war or something like that, lol.

I guess then this happen in every country in the world.

Not surprising at all. It's one of the world's biggest events - maybe THE biggest event - and these are foreign players in a country with a lot of civil unrest over the games, and a lot of hatred toward the World Cup. I'd expect that treatment almost anywhere.

Originally posted by -Pr-
yeah, Fifa are *****. The fiasco with Brazil is just, plain horrible. And Qatar? yeah, *****. Cunty *****.

Here's hoping Uefa finally have enough of their shit, and keep calling them on it, because there's no way Uefa will postpone the Champions League because of Fifa.

But so much football... So beautiful. One whole month... Multiple matches a day for a large quantity of it. It's gonna be AWESOME.

Except for the Beckham thing. The English fascination with him is just weird.

American Midwest checking in. I'm relatively sure I'm the only person in my city that's aware the World Cup is happening this year. Everyone's too busy rooting against the Heat in basketball and being shocked that hockey is still going on, as they are every June.

Last edited by Digi on Jun 11th, 2014 at 10:01 PM

Old Post Jun 11th, 2014 09:59 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheHulk
Retired Debater

I'm rooting for either Brazil or Germany..England too.

WORD LIFE!!!

Old Post Jun 12th, 2014 05:36 AM
TheHulk is currently offline Click here to Send TheHulk a Private Message Find more posts by TheHulk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by Digi
Not surprising at all. It's one of the world's biggest events - maybe THE biggest event - and these are foreign players in a country with a lot of civil unrest over the games, and a lot of hatred toward the World Cup. I'd expect that treatment almost anywhere.

American Midwest checking in. I'm relatively sure I'm the only person in my city that's aware the World Cup is happening this year. Everyone's too busy rooting against the Heat in basketball and being shocked that hockey is still going on, as they are every June.

American defiance towards the most popular sport in the world always amuses me. It almost seems like they're dead set against liking it on principle alone.

At least in Canada, people were more conscious of it. We would even watch the matches at work and such.

My picks are Belgium, Italy (I always pick Italy), and Germany.

Argentina too.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Jun 12th, 2014 06:32 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

'nuff said.

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Jun 12th, 2014 08:39 AM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by -Pr-
American defiance towards the most popular sport in the world always amuses me. It almost seems like they're dead set against liking it on principle alone.

At least in Canada, people were more conscious of it. We would even watch the matches at work and such.

It's not actually defiance. Defiance suggests a knowledge of it, and a willing rejection of it. People really just couldn't tell you the first thing about it. Of the dozen or so people in my office, I doubt a single one even realizes it starts today. So it's not being against it on principle. It really just never caught on, and for most people - even sports fans - it's either a non-event or it's something they tune out on Sportscenter during their morning routine.

American cities have large soccer contingents. But a lot of it is either college kids in need of something to be into as a group during football's offseason, and/or it's foreign immigrants. Like, the club team I'm into...their hardcore fan base is maybe 30% college kids, 70% Mexicans.

Old Post Jun 12th, 2014 02:42 PM
Omega Vision

In mainstream American media there's an incredible level of ignorance about football/soccer. A lot of Americans assume it's a sport for snobby Europeans, English hooligans, and South American street urchins, not realizing that it's the closest thing that Earth has to an official international sport.

This is already changing, and will change more depending on how well America does internationally and how big the MLS gets. Like anyone else, Americans care about sports they excel at.

The level of interest in America now would already have been unimaginable 10 years ago, so 10 years from now who can say how popular it will be. One thing's certain, we'll never call it 'football.'

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Jun 12th, 2014 05:24 PM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

The US is pretty much ph_cked by the group it's facing.

France has easy pickings stick out tongue

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Jun 12th, 2014 07:12 PM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Obviously hoping Germany does well. Trying to separate myself some from the patriotism, due to it being stupid, though. Hopefully there'll be many enjoyable games.

Old Post Jun 12th, 2014 07:30 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by Omega Vision
In mainstream American media there's an incredible level of ignorance about football/soccer. A lot of Americans assume it's a sport for snobby Europeans, English hooligans, and South American street urchins, not realizing that it's the closest thing that Earth has to an official international sport.

This is already changing, and will change more depending on how well America does internationally and how big the MLS gets. Like anyone else, Americans care about sports they excel at.

The level of interest in America now would already have been unimaginable 10 years ago, so 10 years from now who can say how popular it will be. One thing's certain, we'll never call it 'football.'

Well said.

Old Post Jun 12th, 2014 07:44 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mairuzu
Old School Cool

Pssst. Brazil... wrong goal bro.

Edit: Like that.

TGFwashere

Last edited by Mairuzu on Jun 12th, 2014 at 08:30 PM

Old Post Jun 12th, 2014 08:27 PM
Mairuzu is currently offline Click here to Send Mairuzu a Private Message Find more posts by Mairuzu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision

Originally posted by Robtard
Well said.

To add to that: as more Latin American immigrants come into America they'll bring with them their zeal for futbol.

Old Post Jun 12th, 2014 09:02 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

Here in California, 2010 I saw more WC zeal than ever before. Games being shown in bars and restaurants, people walking about with team logos; it wasn't just brown people either. Saw several little white children with Team USA shirts and shorts.

Old Post Jun 12th, 2014 09:50 PM
Omega Vision

Brazil won the game without question, but Croatia were cheated by the ref on two occasions.

I hope shit like that doesn't happen in closer matches like USA-Ghana.

Old Post Jun 12th, 2014 09:56 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

Can't stand Ref bias. /statingtheobvious

Old Post Jun 12th, 2014 10:10 PM