KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Sports Forum » 2014 FIFA World Cup thred

2014 FIFA World Cup thred
Started by: Robtard

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (17): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

Croatia did a bit of flopping too, but nothing to compare to Brazil. Especially that Marcelo chump; guy spent more time on the turf than he spent with the ball.

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Jun 12th, 2014 10:24 PM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Digi
It's not actually defiance. Defiance suggests a knowledge of it, and a willing rejection of it. People really just couldn't tell you the first thing about it. Of the dozen or so people in my office, I doubt a single one even realizes it starts today. So it's not being against it on principle. It really just never caught on, and for most people - even sports fans - it's either a non-event or it's something they tune out on Sportscenter during their morning routine.

American cities have large soccer contingents. But a lot of it is either college kids in need of something to be into as a group during football's offseason, and/or it's foreign immigrants. Like, the club team I'm into...their hardcore fan base is maybe 30% college kids, 70% Mexicans.

Originally posted by Omega Vision
In mainstream American media there's an incredible level of ignorance about football/soccer. A lot of Americans assume it's a sport for snobby Europeans, English hooligans, and South American street urchins, not realizing that it's the closest thing that Earth has to an official international sport.

This is already changing, and will change more depending on how well America does internationally and how big the MLS gets. Like anyone else, Americans care about sports they excel at.

The level of interest in America now would already have been unimaginable 10 years ago, so 10 years from now who can say how popular it will be. One thing's certain, we'll never call it 'football.'

And here I was just kidding around...

====

Brazil were the better side, but not by a whole lot, imo. They were on the up and up, but that penalty decision REALLy shifted things in their favour.

Brazil won the game without question, but Croatia were cheated by the ref on two occasions.

I hope shit like that doesn't happen in closer matches like USA-Ghana.

I'd be surprised if it didn't; they do this shit in every world cup.

Remember Spain and SKorea in 2002?

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Jun 12th, 2014 10:24 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision

2002 was my blindspot WC. I was in France when they won in 98 and when they played Italy in 2006 and 2010 was interesting because it seemed to be America's year. Don't remember where I was in 2002, but for whatever reason it didn't pull me.

2002 was the freak one right? Where Korea and Turkey did better than the likes of France and Argentina?

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Jun 12th, 2014 10:26 PM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

2002 was my blindspot WC. I was in France when they won in 98 and when they played Italy in 2006 and 2010 was interesting because it seemed to be America's year. Don't remember where I was in 2002, but for whatever reason it didn't pull me.

2002 was the freak one right? Where Korea and Turkey did better than the likes of France and Argentina?

Yup, though France were shit anyway.

Spain had TWO perfectly good goals disallowed, and it was painful to watch.

Expect Brazil to get every decision their way that's possible.

I'd like to say that they should have referees from major leagues and nations instead of ones from smaller countries, but tbh, Fifa will tell them what to do anyway.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Jun 12th, 2014 10:39 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

Brazil won the game without question, but Croatia were cheated by the ref on two occasions.

I hope shit like that doesn't happen in closer matches like USA-Ghana.

Sh_t starting already? This is going to be one of those lousy unsporting World Cups?

At least I'll get to troll hardcore fans.

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Jun 12th, 2014 10:43 PM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by -Pr-

Expect Brazil to get every decision their way that's possible.

I'd not be surprised if you're correct, considering Brazil has a lot too prove being host again.

Last time they hosted was 1950 and that is known as one the biggest faceslaps in WC history. The "Maracanazo".

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Jun 12th, 2014 10:58 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by Robtard
I'd not be surprised if you're correct, considering Brazil has a lot too prove being host again.

Last time they hosted was 1950 and that is known as one the biggest faceslaps in WC history. The "Maracanazo".

Yep. Combine that with the civil unrest in the country, and Fifa will do whatever they can to save face.

"Oh, your country is being pretty much raped by us financially? But it's not all bad; we gave you the world cup trophy!"

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Jun 12th, 2014 11:10 PM
Omega Vision

FIFA refs are almost always from poor nations and thus disposed to being bribed.

Really though, FIFA is categorically corrupt. The African football heads just claimed that allegations of bribe-taking for Qatar's WC 22 bid are rooted in 'racism.' I guess it's racist to point out the obvious now.

Old Post Jun 12th, 2014 11:13 PM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

FIFA refs are almost always from poor nations and thus disposed to being bribed.

Really though, FIFA is categorically corrupt. The African football heads just claimed that allegations of bribe-taking for Qatar's WC 22 bid are rooted in 'racism.' I guess it's racist to point out the obvious now.

laughing out loud

Who is it racist against? The predominantly white countries that want to actually host it and have the infrastructure in place already? Such bribing... Yeesh.

==

Spain and Holland tomorrow. Looking forward to the big fight...

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Jun 12th, 2014 11:14 PM
Omega Vision

I like the orange jerseys. And I'd like to see Spain taken down a peg.

Kut Spanjaarden....

Old Post Jun 13th, 2014 12:19 AM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

I like the orange jerseys. And I'd like to see Spain taken down a peg.

Kut Spanjaarden....

laughing out loud

I'll remember that phrase.

Honestly, I don't mind Spain so much, but I do prefer Holland.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Jun 13th, 2014 01:39 AM
Omega Vision

Originally posted by -Pr-
laughing out loud

I'll remember that phrase.

Honestly, I don't mind Spain so much, but I do prefer Holland.

I have nothing against Spain, I'm just sick of hearing how good they are.

Old Post Jun 13th, 2014 02:39 AM
Bentley
Seitei

Spain isn't that good, certainly a contender in this World Cup though. I get what you're saying, when they won in the last world tournament, I did criticize the outcome of many close matches before the finals and got a harsh backlash to that.

Old Post Jun 13th, 2014 03:57 AM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eaebiakuya

In 2002 Brazil won by same way against Turkey. Hard game with a fake penalty....

At least, the whole world is talking about this cheat. I guess, maybe after this, they will not try to help Brazil anymore. Even the brasilian (some)press said it was not fair.

Even tough im brasilian im not support Brasil in this WC (and didnt in last two). As someone said here, i think the patriotism talk is bs. For me its more like a "regular" soccer championship than the country itself in the field.

I hope Argentina won...

Old Post Jun 13th, 2014 11:32 AM
eaebiakuya is currently offline Click here to Send eaebiakuya a Private Message Find more posts by eaebiakuya Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

In mainstream American media there's an incredible level of ignorance about football/soccer. A lot of Americans assume it's a sport for snobby Europeans, English hooligans, and South American street urchins, not realizing that it's the closest thing that Earth has to an official international sport.

This is already changing, and will change more depending on how well America does internationally and how big the MLS gets. Like anyone else, Americans care about sports they excel at.

The level of interest in America now would already have been unimaginable 10 years ago, so 10 years from now who can say how popular it will be. One thing's certain, we'll never call it 'football.'

I listen to a podcast that jokingly calls soccer "America's Sport of the Future...since 1970." But yeah, there's some evidence that it's gaining steam.

Old Post Jun 13th, 2014 03:25 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Dat linesman...

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Jun 13th, 2014 04:15 PM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

And it gets worse....

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Jun 13th, 2014 04:32 PM
Bentley
Seitei

haha, that match is hilarious. Will the referees ever allow them to score a goal?

Old Post Jun 13th, 2014 05:20 PM
Bardock42

Questionable penalty. Great header goal. Good game so far.

Old Post Jun 13th, 2014 07:51 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mairuzu
Old School Cool

TGFwashere

Old Post Jun 13th, 2014 07:57 PM
Mairuzu is currently offline Click here to Send Mairuzu a Private Message Find more posts by Mairuzu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote