KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » TV Talk Forum » Game of Thrones FOR PEOPLE WHO'VE READ THE BOOKS

Game of Thrones FOR PEOPLE WHO'VE READ THE BOOKS
Started by: NemeBro

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (31): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
NemeBro

Game of Thrones FOR PEOPLE WHO'VE READ THE BOOKS

Jumped the gun and made the thread.

Discuss Game of Thrones (The show) while being free to discuss the books, to keep from spoiling those who only watch the show (And are as such sissies).

Old Post Jun 5th, 2014 07:23 PM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Look at that rebel!!!

So, yeah, I'm excited about the next ep, not just because of the obvious reason, but because I really want to know Shae's fate. It seems to me that if they go the way of the book that may make Tyrion quite unlikable to some people in the show.

Old Post Jun 5th, 2014 07:25 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

If Shae follows her book counterparts that will make her seem almost bipolar in persona. I mean, to be honest show Shae's actions in the trial alone honestly seemed weirdly out of character and overly petty. Shae's persona is one change I'm not fond of.

Old Post Jun 5th, 2014 07:26 PM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
focus4chumps
Restricted

Account Restricted

i don't care about shae's fate anymore.

they completely ruined her character with the whole "true love" divergence from the books and by making her a smart and brave heroin. ffs in season 2 she threatened one of cersei's handmaids with a knife to her neck just to protect sansa.

then *BAM* she's acting like a jealous, cowardly, stupid and irrational infant. it's not even the same person. they need to stop screwing up characters like this.

just throw her out the moon door for all i care and don't even bother to pan down to see her fall.

"Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage."

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=denton+van+zan+vs

Old Post Jun 5th, 2014 07:31 PM
focus4chumps is currently offline Click here to Send focus4chumps a Private Message Find more posts by focus4chumps Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

IMO, they're going to go with Shae always being Tywin's spy, but she did end up falling in love with Tyrion and then betrayed him due to Tyrion sending her away and Tywin's threats.

So when Tyrion kills her, his rage is somewhat justified due to the initial trickery.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Jun 5th, 2014 07:32 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
focus4chumps
Restricted

Account Restricted

if they do that, they are going to make shae an even more colossal waste of time.

this was forced clumsy and LAZY character turning not even worthy of a pro wrestling plotline.

"Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage."

Old Post Jun 5th, 2014 07:33 PM
focus4chumps is currently offline Click here to Send focus4chumps a Private Message Find more posts by focus4chumps Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

quote: (post)
Originally posted by focus4chumps
i don't care about shae's fate anymore.

they completely ruined her character with the whole "true love" divergence from the books and by making her a smart and brave heroin. ffs in season 2 she threatened one of cersei's handmaids with a knife to her neck just to protect sansa.

then *BAM* she's acting like a jealous, cowardly, stupid and irrational infant. it's not even the same person. they need to stop screwing up characters like this.

just throw her out the moon door for all i care and don't even bother to pan down to see her fall.
thumb up

Also I'm not for Shae being Tywin's spy. He's not omniscient, and there is no way he could have known Tyrion would choose her.

Old Post Jun 5th, 2014 07:34 PM
dadudemon

I don't get the Shae discussion you guys are having, at all. I don't see much of a difference between show-Shae and book-Shae. They are largely the same.

In the book, she became a snooty, b*tch-ass to Tyrion because Tyrion pushed her away (on purpose...to save her life). She betrayed Tyrion because she was acting like an immature child and took her betrayal to Cersei.

How is this different from what happened in the show? That's pretty much the same exact thing that happened in the show....

She is going to be choked to death, next week, by Tyrion. That's going to happen.

Old Post Jun 5th, 2014 07:34 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

In the book she didn't have any emotional attachment to Tyrion. At all. She was always in it for the money, and her behavior concerning his marriage to Sansa is very different.

"Oh who cares about her? She's just a girl. You'll bed her for your duty, but always come back to me for your pleasure."

Or some shit like that. She wasn't jealous at all because she didn't care about Tyrion.

Her betrayal came about because someone more powerful came along.

Old Post Jun 5th, 2014 07:36 PM
focus4chumps
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by dadudemon
I don't get the Shae discussion you guys are having, at all. I don't see much of a difference between show-Shae and book-Shae. They are largely the same.

In the book, she became a snooty, b*tch-ass to Tyrion because Tyrion pushed her away (on purpose...to save her life). She betrayed Tyrion because she was acting like an immature child and took her betrayal to Cersei.

How is this different from what happened in the show? That's pretty much the same exact thing that happened in the show....

She is going to be choked to death, next week, by Tyrion. That's going to happen.

so basically you never watched season 2. you probably should.

Old Post Jun 5th, 2014 07:36 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

I forget, when Tyrion was going to marry her off to some lower Knight, was she okay with that?

Old Post Jun 5th, 2014 07:38 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

I don't even know if he told her to be honest. Probably not, since he has way less money than Tyrion.

Edit: The wiki says that he was charged with murdering Joffrey before he could act on that.

Old Post Jun 5th, 2014 07:42 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

Yeah, can't recall either, just that was his plan to keep her safe from Cersei's suspicions.

Her betrayal was very Bronn-like in the books, iirc. Someone else came up with a better offer.

Old Post Jun 5th, 2014 07:44 PM
focus4chumps
Restricted

Account Restricted

ok here's a good 'first crackpot theory of the thead' i've been meaning to share. last ep when tyrion says "matricide, patricide, infanticide, suicide...there's no kind of killing that doesn't have its own word." is that foreshadowing?

matricide- tyrion kills his mother while being born

patricide- tyrion kills his father

infanticide- ?

suicide- ?

order of his words was curious, imho. could it be that tyrion will accidentally kill a child and then kill himself after being consumed by guilt?

Old Post Jun 5th, 2014 07:45 PM
dadudemon

Originally posted by NemeBro
In the book she didn't have any emotional attachment to Tyrion. At all. She was always in it for the money, and her behavior concerning his marriage to Sansa is very different.

"Oh who cares about her? She's just a girl. You'll bed her for your duty, but always come back to me for your pleasure."

Or some shit like that. She wasn't jealous at all because she didn't care about Tyrion.

Her betrayal came about because someone more powerful came along.

Wait...wait...

She was jealous in the books, too.

Almost everything you're saying happened in the books and the movies. I see little difference in Show-Shae and Book-Shae, still.

To recap on what is the same:

Shae was most assuredly in it for the money in both the show and the books.

Shae cared for Tyrion in both the show and the book but we do not know to what extent she cared for Tyrion in either. It may have been a pragmatic thing with no sentimental attachment. It may have been a huge sentimental attachment. All we know it she cared in both.

Shae, throwing a fit because Tyrion rejected her, betrayed Tyrion to Cersei. This happened in both the books and the show.

So where is the major divergent differences?

Originally posted by focus4chumps
ok here's a good 'first crackpot theory of the thead' i've been meaning to share. last ep when tyrion says "matricide, patricide, infanticide, suicide...there's no kind of killing that doesn't have its own word." is that foreshadowing?

matricide- tyrion kills his mother while being born

patricide- tyrion kills his father

infanticide- ?

suicide- ?

order of his words was curious, imho. could it be that tyrion will accidentally kill a child and then kill himself after being consumed by guilt?

No. It doesn't not portend to anything. It was additional dialogue added to the show that wasn't in the books. It was jazzing up the "Jaime visits Tyrion in his cell" dialogue that happened in the books.

Last edited by dadudemon on Jun 5th, 2014 at 07:48 PM

Old Post Jun 5th, 2014 07:46 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

I don't really blame book Shae, for what it's worth.

If the queen has you dragged to her and tells you to say shit in a trial, what are you supposed to say? No?

Old Post Jun 5th, 2014 07:46 PM
NemeBro

Originally posted by dadudemon
Wait...wait...

She was jealous in the books, too.

Almost everything you're saying happened in the books and the movies. I see little difference in Show-Shae and Book-Shae, still.

To recap on what is the same:

Shae was most assuredly in it for the money in both the show and the books.

Shae cared for Tyrion in both the show and the book but we do not know to what extent she cared for Tyrion in either. It may have been a pragmatic thing with no sentimental attachment. It may have been a huge sentimental attachment. All we know it she cared in both.

Shae, throwing a fit because Tyrion rejected her, betrayed Tyrion to Cersei. This happened in both the books and the show.

So where is the major divergent differences?
No, you're wrong.

Old Post Jun 5th, 2014 07:47 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

Memory hazy, but I'm pretty sure book Shae only cared about Tyrion's money; she never had greater feelings for him than: "He's a fun guy who pays me well to be his whore." Bronn probably cared for Tyrion more.

I remember thinking back when show Shae first appeared and not liking that she was made to be kind and caring.

Old Post Jun 5th, 2014 07:53 PM
focus4chumps
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Robtard
Memory hazy, but I'm pretty sure book Shae only cared about Tyrion's money; she never had greater feelings for him than: "He's a fun guy who pays me well to be his whore." Bronn probably cared for Tyrion more.

I remember thinking back when show Shae first appeared and not liking that she was made to be kind and caring.

in the books it was made quite clear over and over just what shae really was about. it was never up for interpretation.*

* (see events prior to every one of tyrion's "fool of a dwarf" internal monologues)

Last edited by focus4chumps on Jun 5th, 2014 at 07:58 PM

Old Post Jun 5th, 2014 07:55 PM
dadudemon

I don't really blame book Shae, for what it's worth.

If the queen has you dragged to her and tells you to say shit in a trial, what are you supposed to say? No?

If I'm a greedy piece of shit that was in it for the money, in the beginning, and I was asked to betray my former lover who just utterly and completely rejected (and dejected) me, yeah, that's a pretty easy decision to make.

Especially if you consider that GRRM is mildly sexist, he is definitely using the "a woman scorned" idea with Shae's character.

No, you're wrong.

K. But at least you don't "argue" like Epicurus. I'm still open to specific examples which contradict my position if they exist. The knife to the neck thing...bleh. Can still be justified as her trying her best to earn more favor to your money machine.

Old Post Jun 5th, 2014 07:58 PM