KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Rise of the Tomb Raider (2015)

Rise of the Tomb Raider (2015)
Started by: Arachnid1

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « 1 2 [3] 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
P-Geyser
Saraya-Jade Maniac

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Smasandian
It was. It was dumb. My problem was that the same peeps would start blowing Sony if they made the same move.

Oh well. It's only timed exclusive and both MS and Sony have them.

I agree. Now it seems XBOX ONE users are going to have to suffer with Streetfighter 5. I have noticed as well when TR was announced on XB1, so many Sony fans went apesh!t. I don't see that much rage on SF5 being exclusive only to PS4.

Old Post Jun 16th, 2015 07:03 PM
P-Geyser is currently offline Click here to Send P-Geyser a Private Message Find more posts by P-Geyser Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Estacado
Legendary

Lookin sexay!

Bankai.

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2015 08:52 AM
Estacado is currently offline Click here to Send Estacado a Private Message Find more posts by Estacado Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

That does look very good.

I'm hoping there is a element of creepiness and mystery that the last one had.

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2015 01:05 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Demonic Phoenix

Gameplay looks like an improvement over the reboot. There's quick crafting, multi-kills, better stealth gameplay, and so on.

Also, is it just me, or does Lara's face look...odd? (dirt/mud notwithstanding)

"To all visitors from Transylvania looking for the head of Voivode Dracula: Yes, we have it. Yes, he's dead. No, you cannot see it. No, he will not return and invade you again. It has been over thirty years, please stop pestering us."

Last edited by Demonic Phoenix on Aug 21st, 2015 at 11:40 PM

Old Post Aug 21st, 2015 11:36 PM
Demonic Phoenix is currently offline Click here to Send Demonic Phoenix a Private Message Find more posts by Demonic Phoenix Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I wonder if this will outdo Uncharted 4 because it does look better....

Granted we only seen the E3 demo for Uncharted but openish style gameplay of Tomb Raider might play better than Uncharted 4.

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2015 03:37 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arachnid1

Granted we only seen the E3 demo for Uncharted but openish style gameplay of Tomb Raider might play better than Uncharted 4.
I agree. So far, it's looking better,

Plus, the original Tomb Raider reboot was loads better than Uncharted 3 IMO.

PWNT

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2015 04:30 AM
Arachnid1 is currently offline Click here to Send Arachnid1 a Private Message Find more posts by Arachnid1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Demonic Phoenix

Outdo in what sense? Critically, commercially, story-wise, overall gameplay wise, being better in the areas that they are similar, etc.?

"To all visitors from Transylvania looking for the head of Voivode Dracula: Yes, we have it. Yes, he's dead. No, you cannot see it. No, he will not return and invade you again. It has been over thirty years, please stop pestering us."

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2015 05:54 PM
Demonic Phoenix is currently offline Click here to Send Demonic Phoenix a Private Message Find more posts by Demonic Phoenix Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Critically and maybe commercially.

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2015 07:11 PM
Arachnid1

I thought it killed it gameplay wise and edged out a bit story wise too (none are great here, but TR is slightly better). Gameplay wise, Uncharted has little to no replayability. It's a linear experience that blows your mind with awesome set pieces. Thats pretty similar to CoD story modes, except they edge out in story whereas Uncharted beats them in gameplay due to how fun the 3rd person experience is. At least Tomb Raider was more open and had a sense of freedom about it.

Uncharted only really beats TR in characters (outside of Lara herself of course). TR had some unbelievably bland side characters. It's like they didn't even try here and focused 110% on Lara.

PWNT

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2015 12:45 AM
Arachnid1 is currently offline Click here to Send Arachnid1 a Private Message Find more posts by Arachnid1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I agree.

I can still play Uncharted games because the combat and setting are very good and after a few years, it's nice to relive the stories but they do lose a lot of what made the first experience so amazing.

The initial experience from Uncharted 2 out does all of the remake of Tomb Raider. One of those times where I couldn't stop playing (and I could because I didn't have kids then) and I don't really remember what I did that day aside from playing Uncharted 2.

Maybe Rise of the Tomb Raider will be that. It certainly looks very promising. Originally, I wasn't going to pick it up at launch but I do't know.....Too many good games!

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2015 02:08 PM
Zack Fair
Fanboy

looks great. i might get. (probably will)

Many thanks to Rao Kal-EL Da Man

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2015 06:06 PM
Zack Fair is currently offline Click here to Send Zack Fair a Private Message Find more posts by Zack Fair Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

The only problem is that it comes the same day as Fallout 4......

In theory, I could play both (I might considering I'm thinking of taking the week off) but both game will be pretty extensive games and they might blend in with each other.

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2015 11:29 PM
Demonic Phoenix

IMO, both are up in the air. Fallout 4 comes out on the same day as Tomb Raider, so I'd think that sales will not be as high as they could be.

Critically, I am also unsure.
If I were forced to bet, I'd pick Uncharted 4, if only because it's Naughty Dog.

Originally posted by Arachnid1
I thought it killed it gameplay wise and edged out a bit story wise too (none are great here, but TR is slightly better). Gameplay wise, Uncharted has little to no replayability. It's a linear experience that blows your mind with awesome set pieces. Thats pretty similar to CoD story modes, except they edge out in story whereas Uncharted beats them in gameplay due to how fun the 3rd person experience is. At least Tomb Raider was more open and had a sense of freedom about it.

Uncharted only really beats TR in characters (outside of Lara herself of course). TR had some unbelievably bland side characters. It's like they didn't even try here and focused 110% on Lara.

Agreed on gameplay, Tomb Raider blows Uncharted out of the water in shooting and platforming mechanics.
Disagreed on story, but to each their own.

For most of the game, Lara's on her own and left to her own thoughts on an hostile island, so it's kinda understandable that other characters get very little development.

Uncharted had better bonus content and featurettes, and Uncharted's replay value mostly comes from the multiplayer and bonus content (skins, gameplay modifiers, difficulties, etc.), where IMO, it outshines Tomb Raider.
Also, you have the option to replay chapters.

Last edited by Demonic Phoenix on Aug 26th, 2015 at 10:06 PM

Old Post Aug 26th, 2015 10:03 PM
Estacado
Legendary

Looks so good too bad I have a ps4..

Bankai.

Old Post Aug 27th, 2015 04:04 PM
Estacado is currently offline Click here to Send Estacado a Private Message Find more posts by Estacado Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I think the release date for PS4 is next winter....

If not, PC is in the spring I think as well.

Old Post Aug 27th, 2015 04:48 PM
Estacado
Legendary

Yeah I know.
Still it would have been cool to play.this since we wont get too many games this fall.

Bankai.

Old Post Aug 27th, 2015 05:12 PM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

You mean exclusives? Your not getting any (I don't believe?)

But others are coming out so it's not that bad.

Old Post Aug 27th, 2015 05:20 PM
Estacado
Legendary

Was meant to say for next gen not just ps4

October-December wont have too much for us.

Outside of Fallout 4 and Just cause 3 cant care about AC and Cod anymore maybe Hitman if it will have offline.

Edit forgot about Battlefront.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_in_video_gaming

Bankai.

Last edited by Estacado on Aug 27th, 2015 at 05:41 PM

Old Post Aug 27th, 2015 05:38 PM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

And MGS5 (even though it's being released on old consoles)
Forza 6
Halo 5
Rainbow 6 Siege
Just Cause 3
Fallout 4
AC: Syndicate
Rock Band 4
Guitar Hero
Soma (the guys who made Amnesia)
Super Mario Maker
Mad Max
Rise of the Tomb Raider.
Hitman
Battlefront
Act of Aggression (created by the guys who did the Wargame series, excellent RTS)
Black Ops 3
Need for Speed
Xcom 2

And not including the requisite sport titles. Only two of them will be PC only

That's 19 games for 16 weeks. Most are fairly extensive games. That's a **** load of awesome games coming out. Not sure what you are complaining about. Doesn't anybody remember how 5-10 years ago we would be lucky to get a quarter that amount?

Last edited by Smasandian on Aug 27th, 2015 at 06:58 PM

Old Post Aug 27th, 2015 06:53 PM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Bought, played, completed and also 100% the thing.

It's a very, very good game. The setting is interesting. I liked the location of being in snow and being around old Soviet installations. The graphics are fairly impressive as well, including fantastic lighting effects.

But I really enjoyed how the story plays out. Even though you are visiting various areas over and over, the developers change it up in meaningful ways. It plays much like the of the last one but that's not a bad thing. I like how it scripts events and gives areas to explore but with a Metriod like vibe. The collectibles are fun to get because the areas you go through are large but not too large. They are all complex so it's interesting to climb various structures and reach places you thought you couldn't get too. I'm a bit sad that some of that wierdness from the reboot doesn't come through.

The combat is great. You have plenty of options to sneak around and the abilities can be entertaining as well (creating on the go exlosives, setting traps using soldiers you killed and etc..). The combat does feel like there is a weight to it. It feels solid. When you headshot somebody, you get an immediate clue that you did. It feels good.

And raiding tombs is a lot of fun. There is about 9 of them and most puzzles are interesting to figure out. It's not too hard but still quite enjoyable.

Overall, it's a pretty fantastic game. I hope people play it because I'm interesting what they do next.

Old Post Nov 20th, 2015 07:14 PM