KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » Is Nihilism = Pessimism?

Is Nihilism = Pessimism?
Started by: Dr. Matthew

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Dr. Matthew
Level ??? Con-Man

Is Nihilism = Pessimism?

Could someone tell me if they're completely different or not?

Old Post Jun 21st, 2014 05:24 AM
Dr. Matthew is currently offline Click here to Send Dr. Matthew a Private Message Find more posts by Dr. Matthew Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

They share a lot of similarities, but I wouldn't say they're the same thing.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Jun 21st, 2014 05:25 AM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr. Matthew
Level ??? Con-Man

What is the difference?

Old Post Jun 21st, 2014 05:27 AM
Dr. Matthew is currently offline Click here to Send Dr. Matthew a Private Message Find more posts by Dr. Matthew Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

There's a correlation, sure, but it depends on the outlook of the individual nihilist. I for one am a rather optimistic and hopeful nihilist.

Old Post Jun 21st, 2014 06:06 AM
Lord Lucien is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lestov16
CTU Field Agent

I wouldn't say they are similar. Pessimists just expect the worse of a situation. Nihilists believe that there is no inherent universal order, but rather than be gloom, they embrace it as a chance to create their own destinies.

"Tell him that you've got credible intelligence about a threat to his life"-
Jack Bauer

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2014 03:34 PM
Lestov16 is currently offline Click here to Send Lestov16 a Private Message Find more posts by Lestov16 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Dr. Matthew

They are different things. A nihilist can be optimistic about lots of things. Nihilism in essence means that you don't believe there is greater meaning to life. Pessimism is a state of mind in which you believe that it is more likely that bad things happen.

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2014 03:38 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Astner
The Ghost Who Walks

What is the difference?

Nihilism is the belief that there's no purpose to life.

Pessimism is when you see the glass as half empty.

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2014 05:43 PM
Astner is currently offline Click here to Send Astner a Private Message Find more posts by Astner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr. Matthew
Level ??? Con-Man

Originally posted by Lestov16
they embrace it as a chance to create their own destinies.

So, isn't that like a humanist? Or am I wrong?

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2014 09:57 PM
Mindship
Snap out of it.

The Nihilist: "Life is essentially meaningless."
The Pessimist: "That's not good."
The Optimist: "Then make your own meaning."

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2014 10:02 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Wonder Man
Most Powerful Avenger

Pessimists are more doubt centered.
A nihilist is more hope oriented.

Ion: Sub-Atomic Power

Old Post Oct 31st, 2014 06:12 PM
Wonder Man is online now! Click here to Send Wonder Man a Private Message Find more posts by Wonder Man Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
red g jacks
Restricted

Account Restricted

who cares

Old Post Nov 1st, 2014 12:45 AM
red g jacks is currently offline Click here to Send red g jacks a Private Message Find more posts by red g jacks Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindset

It doesn't matter.

Sometimes all you have left is your Rage

Old Post Nov 1st, 2014 05:22 AM
Mindset is currently offline Click here to Send Mindset a Private Message Find more posts by Mindset Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

I just tried to find the nihilism website, but all that came up was "Page does not exist".

smile

Old Post Nov 1st, 2014 03:12 PM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Revanchiste

Re: Is Nihilism = Pessimism?

If you take warhammer 40 000 which alore spreading a lot of nihilist idea, and thematics.... In the overall.. You think what do you want to think.. You can think like the chaos --> tommmorow will be worst than today so I cannot wait. (I may exgerate a little)where in fact the world islike this and that doesn't really matter to you...Because you are a nihilist, you are just roking when the other are crying if you want.. Or you are like the other..

It your choice to believe than tommorow .

Because their is pessisimism and pessimism.. All nihilist have this pssimism in mind -> don't expect something for the future it won't look good to see...

The second one is : does we care about it? No matter if the world blow up, you will still have a control of emotion, you can still enjoy the future... There is a hope of hapiness nomatter the consequences combined with a crittic spirit... (Being happy without being in a disey world or thinking like a disney character...)

Still pessimism is a step to the nihilism...

To came back to warhammer 40 000 franchise there is joy even in the darkest apest.. Look at grandpa nurgle spacemarin humor..... There is a Dark and dry humor...

In fact, the galaxy slowly dying in the atrocity of war and chaos, is not a reason to stop laughing !

Last edited by Revanchiste on Feb 5th, 2015 at 11:36 PM

Old Post Feb 5th, 2015 11:32 PM
Revanchiste is currently offline Click here to Send Revanchiste a Private Message Find more posts by Revanchiste Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Revanchiste

Edit to be clear... Nihilist are paradoxaly pessimists.. They believe than in stoping to believe in falase hope you can hope some kind hapiness....

Old Post Feb 6th, 2015 03:36 PM
Revanchiste is currently offline Click here to Send Revanchiste a Private Message Find more posts by Revanchiste Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

You're words are broken and nonsensical, and your point is skewed and erroneous. Do betterer.

Old Post Feb 6th, 2015 09:52 PM
Lord Lucien is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Revanchiste

Originally posted by Lord Lucien
You're words are broken and nonsensical, and your point is skewed and erroneous. Do betterer.

In some aspect the nihilsm is somekind of non sens... Nihilism is a belive that found itself on stoping to believe.

This is true, but clearly this is not making sens.

Old Post Feb 7th, 2015 02:19 PM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

You're not making any sense. English that b*tch up properly.

Old Post Feb 7th, 2015 05:49 PM
Mindset

Someone explain existential nihilism to me.

Sometimes all you have left is your Rage

Old Post Feb 7th, 2015 06:04 PM
Mindset is currently offline Click here to Send Mindset a Private Message Find more posts by Mindset Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Life and existence is without inherent purpose, and everything is intrinsically worthless. In a nutshell.

But pessimism/optimism is relative, and is better used prior to the word for one's existential attitude. It's like the adjective to nihilism's noun. I for one am optimistically nihilistic--nihilism to me feels like the accurate description to reality's true nature. The two terms aren't fundamentally antonyms or substitutes for one another.

Last edited by Lord Lucien on Feb 7th, 2015 at 11:25 PM

Old Post Feb 7th, 2015 11:22 PM