KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Pacific Rim: Uprising

Pacific Rim: Uprising
Started by: Arachnid1

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (10): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Time Immemorial
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Mindset
Hopefully, I get casted as the leading male.

laughing laughing

Old Post Jun 27th, 2014 06:38 PM
Time Immemorial is currently offline Click here to Send Time Immemorial a Private Message Find more posts by Time Immemorial Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Originally posted by K-Dog
Which begs the questions how could punches from a big robot and non-nuke missiles from a big robot take them down?

quote:
As an alternative to nuclear weaponry, Jaegers were designed to generate as much kinetic energy as tactical ordnance. They were built to match the estimated scale of Kaiju, and minimize damage created by conventional weapon

Old Post Jun 28th, 2014 04:27 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindset

Originally posted by Time Immemorial
laughing laughing
I just crossed you off my lists of Pacific Rim 2 premiere guests.

Sometimes all you have left is your Rage

Old Post Jul 2nd, 2014 04:52 AM
Mindset is currently offline Click here to Send Mindset a Private Message Find more posts by Mindset Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

Re: Pacific Rim 2 (2017)

Originally posted by Arachnid1
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/06...d-series-coming

Yes! The first one was amazing! I'm looking forward to this. I thought they would get more creative with the name though. Atlantic Rim would have sufficed.

It may have a subtitle, but they shouldn't change the location IMO, the Pacific gives more varied locations and keeps all the old countries in.

There was also a crappy movie called Atlantis Rim made too.

I'm really looking forward to the more comics and the prequel animation ^^

quote:
K-Dog
Why didn't they just park some Navy destroyers by the entrance and use rail guns or big missles, lol?

At the bottom of the Mariana Trench?

The Kaiju don't have to surface anywhere near the breach itself, and nothing can be stationed down there for long. Not much can go down without being crunched like a tin can at all.

Also, at hundreds of meters per second under water, Kaiju can destroy fleets without getting a scratch in return. That's faster than any torpedo, it'd be suicide to send navies against them. Heck, it even sucked to send Jaegers against them underwater! There's a reason they're always fought near the shore, where the sea is shallower.

quote:
Which begs the questions how could punches from a big robot and non-nuke missiles from a big robot take them down?

The missiles were designed to deliver maximum kinetic impact and used in groups at close range (meaning almost all of the missile was warhead, no need for much propellent).

Punches never actually killed them (except one in the preview comic, but it was a very small one and that was in addition to missiles), but were just used for set-up and to stun them to give room for the finishers.

Last edited by Q99 on Jul 2nd, 2014 at 06:47 AM

Old Post Jul 2nd, 2014 06:41 AM
Q99 is currently offline Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lestov16
CTU Field Agent

The punches themselves did not put down the Kaiju and the Jaegers did not have any "non-nuke missiles". They were using energy blasts (powered by a nuclear core) and powerful heated blades.

Also, I geeked out when I saw the British scientist guy playing one of the rogue Night's Watch members of GOT.

"Tell him that you've got credible intelligence about a threat to his life"-
Jack Bauer

Last edited by Lestov16 on Jul 2nd, 2014 at 12:59 PM

Old Post Jul 2nd, 2014 12:54 PM
Lestov16 is currently offline Click here to Send Lestov16 a Private Message Find more posts by Lestov16 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

Originally posted by Lestov16
The punches themselves did not put down the Kaiju and the Jaegers did not have any "non-nuke missiles". They were using energy blasts (powered by a nuclear core) and powerful heated blades.

Also, I geeked out when I saw the British scientist guy playing one of the rogue Night's Watch members of GOT.

Striker Eureka used missiles.

Old Post Jul 2nd, 2014 01:25 PM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Originally posted by Lestov16

The guy from Torchwood?

Old Post Jul 2nd, 2014 01:51 PM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lestov16
CTU Field Agent

Originally posted by Kazenji
The guy from Torchwood?

Never watched Who or Torchwood.

"Tell him that you've got credible intelligence about a threat to his life"-
Jack Bauer

Old Post Jul 2nd, 2014 02:10 PM
Lestov16 is currently offline Click here to Send Lestov16 a Private Message Find more posts by Lestov16 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
shinning_like_m

Punches from robots sound too old fashioned , but I like It

Old Post Jul 2nd, 2014 04:51 PM
shinning_like_m is currently offline Click here to Send shinning_like_m a Private Message Find more posts by shinning_like_m Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindset

Originally posted by Kazenji
The guy from Torchwood?
Yes.

Sometimes all you have left is your Rage

Old Post Jul 2nd, 2014 09:45 PM
Mindset is currently offline Click here to Send Mindset a Private Message Find more posts by Mindset Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

Originally posted by Tzeentch
Hopefully it has better characters in it.

thumb up

Old Post Jul 2nd, 2014 09:46 PM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
0mega Spawn
TheWarmestSun

You clearly haven't been punched in the face by a giant robot.

My Reality Is Your Imagination.

Old Post Jul 3rd, 2014 02:21 AM
0mega Spawn is currently offline Click here to Send 0mega Spawn a Private Message Find more posts by 0mega Spawn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

Originally posted by ares834
Striker Eureka used missiles.

Yep, but very short ranged and designed to deliver high kinetic force deep into the kaiju in a more focused way than a nuke. And multiple in a row to increase the concussive effect.

Old Post Jul 6th, 2014 05:30 PM
Q99 is currently offline Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

Should still have merely a fraction of the concusive force of a nuke at point blank range. Admittedly, I don't give a shit about scientific inaccuracies in a movie about giant monsters fighting giant robots.

Old Post Jul 6th, 2014 06:49 PM
Q99

Should still have merely a fraction of the concusive force of a nuke at point blank range.

Not as much as you'd think. Those were probably hundred-ton warheads each, and work on contact, and likely to specifically hit vital areas with at least some of them, while nuclear weapons will never be contact deployed due to their fragility (hit one hard and it turns into a simple dirty bomb). Square-cubed rule means even a little distance can affect the energy density a lot.

According to side material, of the first 3 kaiju, 2 died to a single nuke, one took 3 tactical nukes (Trespasser, which was far bigger than any early one).

The big nuke at point blank did kill the Cat 4 Scunner (who itself is bigger than any killed by Striker's missiles). It failed to kill the Cat 5, but then again Striker's anti-kaiju missiles wouldn't have taken it down in one volley either. Or heck, might've not managed even if it'd gotten off three volleys (the full load).

Old Post Jul 6th, 2014 07:59 PM
ares834

And as I said, the Kaiju were pretty much at ground zero of the blast. Well within a hundred feat. At such range the force of a 1.2 megaton bomb is going to be far larger than a few hundred ton missiles.

Last edited by ares834 on Jul 7th, 2014 at 12:56 AM

Old Post Jul 7th, 2014 12:53 AM
Q99

And as I said, the Kaiju were pretty much at ground zero of the blast. Well within a hundred feat. At such range the force of a 1.2 megaton bomb is going to be far larger than a few hundred ton missiles.

Sure, but that *did* flat-out kill the Cat 4, certainly with damage to spare.

And it's not just total force that matters, but force that hits specific points. A very direct force to the base of your skull can kill you when far greater total force, just a bit less at any specific point, across your total body won't.

Last edited by Q99 on Jul 7th, 2014 at 09:57 AM

Old Post Jul 7th, 2014 09:54 AM
Stoic
Avenger

There are times that sequels do well, and there are those when they do horribly. I can see this one fall on its rear, and am not particularly over enthused about a part 2. I've been wrong before, but I imagine this going the way of one of those giant snake movies.

Old Post Jul 8th, 2014 03:35 AM
Stoic is currently offline Click here to Send Stoic a Private Message Find more posts by Stoic Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

^ Stop eating lemons.

Old Post Jul 8th, 2014 06:56 AM
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

I am keen for this film. I enjoyed the first one a lot, despite a few facepalm moments. Like why the bloody hell did it take them so long to figure out that using Gipsy's sword might be a good idea?

Old Post Jul 9th, 2014 11:44 AM
TheVaultDweller is currently offline Click here to Send TheVaultDweller a Private Message Find more posts by TheVaultDweller Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote