KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » President Obama: Worst Modern US President?

President Obama: Worst Modern US President?
Started by: dadudemon

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (7): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Lestov16
CTU Field Agent

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Bashar Teg
GOP had a halfwit swimsuit model in 2008 for VP, and a couple of douchebag androids in 2012. then attempt to sabotage the winner for both his entire terms. what a joke.

obstruct progress, contribute nothing, blame obama. -GOP strategy

thumb up

"Tell him that you've got credible intelligence about a threat to his life"-
Jack Bauer

Old Post Jul 29th, 2014 04:23 AM
Lestov16 is currently offline Click here to Send Lestov16 a Private Message Find more posts by Lestov16 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Originally posted by Lestov16
So you are mad because Obama couldn't fulfill all of his campaign promises? Are you Randy Marsh or something? With the geopolitical situations constantly brewing and a Congress practically devoted to undermining him, how is he supposed to get anything done?

What do you call a person who is prevented from winning by his/her competition?

Answer: Looser! lol

Old Post Jul 29th, 2014 04:25 AM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

GOP had a halfwit swimsuit model in 2008 for VP, and a couple of douchebag androids in 2012. then attempt to sabotage the winner for both his entire terms. what a joke.

Pretty much how I see it.

Old Post Jul 29th, 2014 08:17 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Newjak
I am Beyond Power

Originally posted by dadudemon
While I agree, I don't think we should get involved. Let the regional power-houses address the middle east, not the US. That's because they will have a direct interest in stabilizing the region.

I think we have a fiscal responsibility to fix our own issues.

If we were sitting pretty similar to a country like Norway, then I may consider more aid programs from the US (but never military action unless the UN asked for it and it was to stop heinous crimes).
Fair enough and in some cases I would agree with but with the way global economies are intertwined these days something happening in the middle east could potentially have a large impact on the US and our issues.

I do agree we have issues here we need to fix as well.

sig by Rao Kal El

Old Post Jul 29th, 2014 01:09 PM
Newjak is currently offline Click here to Send Newjak a Private Message Find more posts by Newjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

thumb up

Originally posted by BackFire
Pretty much how I see it.

Originally posted by Newjak
Fair enough and in some cases I would agree with but with the way global economies are intertwined these days something happening in the middle east could potentially have a large impact on the US and our issues.

I do agree we have issues here we need to fix as well.

Seems like we pretty much agree on our global policy. If I were an 8, you'd be a 6 on the "non-intervention" policy.

Right now, I think the US is sitting at a 2 to 1 on the "non-intervention policy."

To better flesh out what I meant with the UN stuff, I think the UN should have stepped in with the Somalian genocide and asked for various help from around the world, to give an example.

Probably the same holds true for the Kurdish situation in Iraq in the 80s but, iirc, the UN was not as mature as it is, now, making such a decent call to arms and aid an impossibility. However, here's the problem: we pretty much setup the problem in Iraq, to begin with. It was the US's fault (again, pretty much) that the events against the Kurdish took place in Iraq because we were meddling with the machinations of other countries like we should not have.

Last edited by dadudemon on Jul 29th, 2014 at 02:02 PM

Old Post Jul 29th, 2014 01:56 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

I think most of the time when someone calls a president "bad" or "good" they're not looking at whether the president is competent or incompetent but whether the president was "bad" or "good" for them and their demographic/party/country/interests.

President Regan is a great example of a decisive president who is still today reviled by significant segments of the population and idolized by others. While I'd argue that Regan made the USA a stronger country and helped hasten the end of the Soviet Union with his aggressive policies, he failed to adequately address racial and other social issues and those same aggressive policies under different circumstances could have led to a catastrophic war with the USSR.

As for Obama, depends on who you ask. If you ask me, I think he's an adequate president who's got his hands tied at home and thus appears ineffuctual. In terms of foreign policy, he's probably one of the worst presidents we've ever had, but I put that down on him trying to rehabilitate America's global image as a global policeman while also trying to keep policing the world. What's happened the last few years is a series of half-hearted interventions around the world that have caused almost no American casualties but have failed to change anything significant. The only real product of these interventions and 'red lines' is to dilute the credibility of American power. America has now become the sheriff with the really big gun that he never draws. In sum: America is still not well liked around most of the world, but now America also isn't respected as much as it used to be.

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Jul 29th, 2014 02:23 PM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Newjak
I am Beyond Power

I think by the time the true impact of Obama's presidency can be determined most people won't really care and will be debating about the current impact of whatever new president is in office at the time.

If nothing else he maybe one of the more scrutinized presidents of modern times and some of that has possibly held him back from making the choices he really wants to make.

sig by Rao Kal El

Old Post Jul 29th, 2014 02:42 PM
Newjak is currently offline Click here to Send Newjak a Private Message Find more posts by Newjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by Omega Vision
I think most of the time when someone calls a president "bad" or "good" they're not looking at whether the president is competent or incompetent but whether the president was "bad" or "good" for them and their demographic/party/country/interests.

President Regan is a great example of a decisive president who is still today reviled by significant segments of the population and idolized by others. While I'd argue that Regan made the USA a stronger country and helped hasten the end of the Soviet Union with his aggressive policies, he failed to adequately address racial and other social issues and those same aggressive policies under different circumstances could have led to a catastrophic war with the USSR.

As for Obama, depends on who you ask. If you ask me, I think he's an adequate president who's got his hands tied at home and thus appears ineffuctual. In terms of foreign policy, he's probably one of the worst presidents we've ever had, but I put that down on him trying to rehabilitate America's global image as a global policeman while also trying to keep policing the world. What's happened the last few years is a series of half-hearted interventions around the world that have caused almost no American casualties but have failed to change anything significant. The only real product of these interventions and 'red lines' is to dilute the credibility of American power. America has now become the sheriff with the really big gun that he never draws. In sum: America is still not well liked around most of the world, but now America also isn't respected as much as it used to be.

Reagan is an example of a president that is disproportionately praised from his objective performance (both based on his campaign promises and his actual performance). One of the most irritating things about Americans is how much they praise Reagan. Even many Dems praise Reagan's presidency but it was littered with mistakes, lies, and broken promises just like most presidencies.

Old Post Jul 29th, 2014 02:54 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by Newjak
I think by the time the true impact of Obama's presidency can be determined most people won't really care and will be debating about the current impact of whatever new president is in office at the time.

If nothing else he maybe one of the more scrutinized presidents of modern times and some of that has possibly held him back from making the choices he really wants to make.

Yup. My brother-in-law, who is an economist, gets frustrated with stuff on the TV when major news outlets (like CNN, Fox News, etc.) talk about the immediate and all-encompassing impacts of economic and tax policies of a president. I have heard and read this several times from other economists: it takes a bit (2-4 years) for a president's policies to have a substantial impact on the economy. To Obama's credit, some of his policies in his first term are actually coming to fruition in his second term and the economy is improving, partially, due to his and congress' actions.

I am of the opinion that the repair to the economy cannot be attributed very much to the Obama administration. I think he has had very little positive impact on economic recovery in the US. In some ways, he has actually worked against the recovery. In others, he has benefited it. I think Romney would have been a better choice for 2008 and 2012 for economic recovery. Again, we had to choose between a turd sandwich and a douchebag in both elections (imo).

Old Post Jul 29th, 2014 02:58 PM
It's xyz!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Firefly218
He's the one who sent the entire country into an economic panic because of his irrational hatred towards banks.

Also, he illegally infringed upon treaties and put thousands of natives in peril.

Worst of all, he was an idiot. I wouldn't hate him as much if he had an intelligent platform and legitimate principles.
Economic panic like 1929 or 2008?

Bulbasaur, the original... Pepe.

Last edited by Raz on Jan 1st 2000 at 00:00AM

Old Post Jul 29th, 2014 04:28 PM
It's xyz! is currently offline Click here to Send It's xyz! a Private Message Find more posts by It's xyz! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Originally posted by It's xyz!

I think he was talking about Andrew Jackson.

Old Post Jul 29th, 2014 04:38 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
It's xyz!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Shakyamunison
I think he was talking about Andrew Jackson.
I think I was asking if the panic was like 1929 or 2008.

Old Post Jul 29th, 2014 04:42 PM
It's xyz! is currently offline Click here to Send It's xyz! a Private Message Find more posts by It's xyz! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Well....

Perhaps closer to 2008 but not as bad as 1929. In fact, most historians agree that we were righted by 1843. Their crash occurred around 1837. Actually, in some ways, the 2008 recession is worse than the one from 1837 because some economists (Maybe not...maybe it is just the people that think that...) think we are still recovering and still in a recession.

http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2...=blogs&_r=0

You know what one of the major contributing factors to that crash was? Shitty loans. no expression You'd think America would have learned its lesson from history about giving out sub-prime loans.

Of course, there were other factors that contributed to the recession/depression of 1837 (such as the Specie Circular which pretty much forced people to have to use hard currency (Gold and Silver) in the West).

Last edited by dadudemon on Jul 29th, 2014 at 06:47 PM

Old Post Jul 29th, 2014 06:44 PM
It's xyz!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by dadudemon
Well....

Perhaps closer to 2008 but not as bad as 1929. In fact, most historians agree that we were righted by 1843. Their crash occurred around 1837. Actually, in some ways, the 2008 recession is worse than the one from 1837 because some economists (Maybe not...maybe it is just the people that think that...) think we are still recovering and still in a recession.

http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2...=blogs&_r=0

You know what one of the major contributing factors to that crash was? Shitty loans. no expression You'd think America would have learned its lesson from history about giving out sub-prime loans.

Of course, there were other factors that contributed to the recession/depression of 1837 (such as the Specie Circular which pretty much forced people to have to use hard currency (Gold and Silver) in the West).
That tells me that the bank caused the crash and Jackson reacted by shutting down the bank.

Old Post Jul 29th, 2014 07:28 PM
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

That tells me that the bank caused the crash and Jackson reacted by shutting down the bank.

There was no federal reserve bank back then.

Old Post Jul 30th, 2014 04:04 PM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

There was, but Jackson killed it. He regarded doing so as his most important accomplishment.

Old Post Jul 30th, 2014 04:28 PM
Lord Lucien is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
It's xyz!
Restricted

Account Restricted

No Federal Reserve, but a central bank nonetheless.

Old Post Jul 30th, 2014 06:02 PM
Stoic
Avenger

Nixon was the worst period.

Old Post Aug 1st, 2014 08:53 PM
Stoic is currently offline Click here to Send Stoic a Private Message Find more posts by Stoic Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Originally posted by Stoic
B-b-but Obama! He's a Kenyan Jew Hitler.

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2014 02:30 AM
Lord Lucien is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by Stoic

From what I read, he was a mixture of shit and decent.

The old folks tell me he was great until the scandal.

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2014 03:29 AM