KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Versus' Forum » Battlezone » Low Herald Title Bout: Leo vs Phil!11!

Low Herald Title Bout: Leo vs Phil!11!
Started by: leonidas

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Bentley
Seitei

Ok, I'm going to try reading and ruling on this as soon as possible.

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Aug 12th, 2014 01:17 PM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Newjak
I am Beyond Power

This was a tough match to judge.

I do think Phil can take energy form although the exact abilities he still retains in that form are unknown as leo pointed out. Also I do think Light will have some increased speed how much is uncertain and I think Leo did a good job of pointing that out as well.

Leo never showed me a good defense that prevented him from being blind although I think he proved well enough his sensors can compensate for it enough to still be dangerous.

I think Phil will know exactly where Leo is at in the battle whether teleporting or not.

I do think the ultra diode could seriously hurt Light if given the opportunity but with the way Phil is playing Light I don't think that chance will come by easy or often.

Given time I do think Light's power would allow him to bypass Kang's shields based on Phil's scans. But Leo's defense of constantly changing the shield will halt Light enough to not make it easy to do.

Leo showing what happened to another pure light character trying to get in through his shield is very nice. And I do think the Anti-Matter shield is something Phil never addressed and could come into play to seriously hurt Dr. Light.

Although I do not think they will be sufficient to put Dr. Light down it is still something to occupy and use against him.

I think Leo was kind of banking on his darkmatter weapons towards the end and as Phil pointed out the DarkMatter Gun is probably going to be too bulky to use against him and probably too easy to take out. Also pointed out by Phil the Darkmatter egg bomb is too untested to know how it will work and whether or not it is a viable option in this battle. So I don't think they are deciding factors in this battle.

I do think Dr. Light's attack can harm an unshielded Kang but I do think Kang's armor is durable enough to resist Light's attack die to the evidence Leo provided. How many is unknown but I do think Kang would be wise to not being hit more than once.

Also as pointed out by Phil Monica's attacks were short circuiting the true Kang's armor until he employed his shield to counter her. So that could potentially hurt Kang if caught off guard.

I'm also not going to count the Growing Man into my decision. I think Phil did a good enough job countering the Growing Man as an offensive option due to it possibly being blind and there being nothing to really force Light to engage the beast. Also I think his energy form will be sufficient to protect him.

So based on all of that this battle seems to boil down to Light trying to take or bypass the shields while Kang is constantly trying to move around and adjust them to prevent their destruction while trying to fling everything he has at Light(including the kitchen sink) until something sticks while Light is hoping to get his opportunity to annihilate an unshielded Kang.

Truth be told I would be just as willing to call this a double draw while both people kill each other but since there needs to be a decision I'm going to vote for...

Phil

I think while Leo has a good defense nothing presented besides the Ultra Diode has a real chance of taking Light down. I do think given time and chances Light needs less to hurt Kang than the other way around but only marginally.

Good job to both of you. You represented your characters well and put forth a debate others could learn from in the future.

sig by Rao Kal El

Old Post Aug 12th, 2014 04:21 PM
Newjak is currently offline Click here to Send Newjak a Private Message Find more posts by Newjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

1-1...No pressure, Bentley!

big grin

Old Post Aug 13th, 2014 03:49 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

This is a rather close match, since I know the rest of the votes are in, I'm going to try and gather my impressions and do everyone justice.

First of all, into the generals.

Debating.

Both sides did a great job bringing evidence, but all in all I think Phil has a solid edge here. He played through his strategy and proved both that he could alter the ambient light and become energy despite leo's objections. He also pointed out how unfocused leo's strategy was and the initial plan wasn't adapted to the circumstances, bringing energy guns and a brawler robot against and energy manipulator seemed unlikely. I'll go more into detail in the next part.

Strategy.

As I mentioned earlier, leo came with a rather unadapted strategy that complicated a match that could've been much more sweet for him. However, Phil's plan also struggled to be as effective as it could've been, Kang doesn't need light as long as his sensors are active so the altering light move didn't seem as the best possible opening. Passing through Kang's shields was a neat strategy until it was proved that it couldn't be done just like that. On top of that there is the null energy shield. I think the way the matchup was presented suggested that Phil depended on the speedblitz to win, before Kang did something broken like timeshifting himself. leo did say he'd switch strategies if Phil was on the offensive. So I think leo planned many unneeded things and that Phil put himself at risk by betting on speed and performing several task at the beginning of the match. I have them as tied in this regard.

Outcome.

There are two outcomes, either the assault from Doctor Light bypasses shields or it doesn't. If it doesn't, it seems to me that Kang has inevability, he'll just set a trap (leo did brought distraction tactics into the game) and eventually tag Light with one of those weapons that can affect his intangibility (I'm thinking about the null-energy shield and the anti-matter screen, the darkmatter gun doesn't seem easy to handle). If Light bypasses the shield, Kang is toppled, but Phil did mention he'd pass through his shields -I'm reading this as Light moving his own essence through the energy barrier lifted by Kang-. Those defenses are packed with the top two weapons that could hurt Light's energy form from the get to go. If I believe that Phil's plan works as he says, he'd need to swift through an anti-matter screen and a absorbing tool, after jumping on Kang who's likely to be teleporting. I agree with Phil, that's simplicity itself. It's as if Light was asking to be caught by Kang's screens. I'm giving leo the edge on this.

So well, with a technical tie I'm left with my impressions to guide myself. It's hard to judge a match where you're swamped with possibilities on one side, and very focused in a single plan in the other one. I think Phil was more persuasive, but that leo achieved more. I actually thought leo was ridiculously outgunned after reading his prep, but if you read through the argument you end up thinking that Kang has gotten, somehow, the upper hand. Doctor Light has more muscle, but his all-on offense plays on leo's odd defensive game. With superior speed, Light can dodge all day, strike from the distance until Kang's shields give up, use his prediction skills to keep Kang on his toes when he teleports, but instead he goes for a phasing strategy that put his physical integrity in jeopardy.

I'm voting for leo and trust me, it wasn't simple to come to that conclussion. I want to congratulate Phil for his excellent debating and everyone else participating here for keeping the battlezone tradition alive.

Old Post Aug 13th, 2014 10:20 AM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Philosophía
"The devil made me do it"

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Digi
1-1...No pressure, Bentley!

big grin
There's 5 judges! big grin

Thanks for the 3 judges who voted up until now! thumb up

“Perhaps this is the ultimate freedom. The freedom to leave.”

Old Post Aug 13th, 2014 10:38 AM
Philosophía is currently offline Click here to Send Philosophía a Private Message Find more posts by Philosophía Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

indeed, thanks. thumb up

looks like we're waiting on darksaint and pr to weigh in.

Old Post Aug 13th, 2014 02:27 PM
leonidas is currently offline Click here to Send leonidas a Private Message Find more posts by leonidas Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by Philosophía
There's 5 judges! big grin

Thanks for the 3 judges who voted up until now! thumb up

Oh. Well then I guess we can suspend the suspense temporarily.

embarrasment

Old Post Aug 13th, 2014 03:14 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarkSaint85

I will have my judgement in this eventide, UK time. So about 4-5 hours time?

Good match. Very enjoyable.

Old Post Aug 13th, 2014 03:17 PM
DarkSaint85 is currently offline Click here to Send DarkSaint85 a Private Message Find more posts by DarkSaint85 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

Originally posted by Digi
Oh. Well then I guess we can suspend the suspense temporarily.

embarrasment

Digi was just messing with my mind apparently...

Old Post Aug 13th, 2014 03:19 PM
Newjak
I am Beyond Power

Originally posted by Bentley
Digi was just messing with my mind apparently...
He likes to do that kind of thing.

sig by Rao Kal El

Old Post Aug 13th, 2014 03:50 PM
Newjak is currently offline Click here to Send Newjak a Private Message Find more posts by Newjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarkSaint85

Good match up.

I wager, some of the other judges will have a much better write up than I (I don't want to read theirs for fear of contamination), but here goes.

Leo, you have the advantage in defense. The Growing Man as a diversion strategy is good, and the ability for your oscillating shields to keep Light out makes you untouchable (IOW, I was convinced by your argument).

Your ability to pull stuff out, ACME style, is another powerful help to you.

However, this made your strategy a bit....all over the place.

In addition, the scan you showed of Monica actually had her able to overload his shields had he not adjusted.

The fight boils down to, Kang being on the defensive and summoning everything against Light. Which he could potentially hurt him with based on the Ultra Diode.

As for Light?

I was convinced that he could blind Kang, although again, Kang would then have to go on the defensive and switch to sensors. His is a much simpler strategy, and I do not doubt that he would have the reaction speeds to pull this off as well. And he would have the offense to do this.

So I gave it to Light.

BUT.

As I read on, it became clearer that Light, for all his powers, was being...too clever? Instead of blasting and going toe-to-toe, he was doing things that leo showed would actually harm him (as seen with Spectrum). Inadvertently (or perhaps, it was all a clever ploy?) Light was playing into the hands of Kang.

Therefore, I changed my mind, and gave it to Leo. It was a good match, and you guys really know your shit. And it is a testament to how close the match was that I changed my position. My short write-up in no way should be taken as a reflection of the match - this was a really well debated BZ from both of you.

Old Post Aug 13th, 2014 08:59 PM
DarkSaint85 is currently offline Click here to Send DarkSaint85 a Private Message Find more posts by DarkSaint85 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

coolio. thanks guys. and phil, tbh, i really had no idea how this would go. laughing out loud

hard to ask for a better debate buddy. this was a bit of an oddball match up and i had a blast with this bz. thanks again not only to phil but to the judges as well. phil, any time you want a rematch or if you want to bz for a different division, just let me know. great match up. smile

Old Post Aug 13th, 2014 11:07 PM
leonidas is currently offline Click here to Send leonidas a Private Message Find more posts by leonidas Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

I didn't read the whole thing, just writeups and the first replies, but it already seemed like a great match. Cheers, fellas.

Old Post Aug 14th, 2014 12:20 AM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

congrats, leo. thumb up

phil did a great job as well. not only did he produce excellent retorts, but he gave me a whole new outlook on doctor light's power(the guy is a BEAST.) anyway, well done, guys... if only all matches were that enjoyable.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Aug 14th, 2014 01:01 AM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Philosophía
"The devil made me do it"

Originally posted by leonidas
coolio. thanks guys. and phil, tbh, i really had no idea how this would go. laughing out loud

hard to ask for a better debate buddy. this was a bit of an oddball match up and i had a blast with this bz. thanks again not only to phil but to the judges as well. phil, any time you want a rematch or if you want to bz for a different division, just let me know. great match up. smile
Congratulations, leo. I had a great time and hope we'll find time to meet sometime in the future for this belt or another. thumb up

Thanks for the judges for taking the time to read through and hopefully it was worth it.

See you around smile

“Perhaps this is the ultimate freedom. The freedom to leave.”

Old Post Aug 14th, 2014 06:25 AM
Philosophía is currently offline Click here to Send Philosophía a Private Message Find more posts by Philosophía Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

As much as it's a formality, just wanted to post, as I said I would, and I hate to not do shit I said I would do, even if it takes me longer nowadays to reply.

Anyway, **** you guys for walls of text. Honestly, my eyes hurt. stick out tongue

The short and sweet of it is, I couldn't decide at first. I felt like Philo was stretching himself too thin, but at the same time, I was worried that Leo wasn't bringing enough to the table to take advantage of it. You guys wrote your arguments awesomely, and I ended up really enjoying seeing the back and forth you guys had going.

My vote in the end was for Phil. I started to get the impression that while Kang could keep him at bay all day long, he would eventually slip up, and Light would take advantage of that.

So yeah, Philo.

Though ****, man. Pick Kimiyo next time.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Aug 18th, 2014 04:32 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

thumb up

Old Post Aug 18th, 2014 01:24 PM
Badabing
Karen

This was a close match. Well done guys.

You've just been Trump'd!

Official pimp of Steverules

Sig by Steve Rules

Old Post Aug 20th, 2014 12:54 AM
Badabing is currently offline Click here to Send Badabing a Private Message Find more posts by Badabing Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote