KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » The Equalizer

The Equalizer
Started by: Kazenji

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

The Equalizer

Stars- Denzel Washington, Chloë Grace Moretz, Marton Csokas, Melissa Leo and Haley Bennett.

Old Post Aug 4th, 2014 09:58 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lestov16
CTU Field Agent

Usually I'm not one for reboots but this looks quite good. Looks like Denzel is doing a mix of Creasy and Jack Reacher.

"Tell him that you've got credible intelligence about a threat to his life"-
Jack Bauer

Old Post Aug 4th, 2014 03:07 PM
Lestov16 is currently offline Click here to Send Lestov16 a Private Message Find more posts by Lestov16 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Time Immemorial
Restricted

Account Restricted

Looks shit

Old Post Aug 4th, 2014 04:49 PM
Time Immemorial is currently offline Click here to Send Time Immemorial a Private Message Find more posts by Time Immemorial Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

only watched the tv show sparingly..

not a denzel fan so most likely i'll pass

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Aug 4th, 2014 06:47 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Esau Cairn
Contagious

Christ, why call it a reboot of something that it clearly isn't?

Just give this film a cliched sh*tty title & let it stand on its own ground.

Old Post Aug 5th, 2014 01:38 AM
Esau Cairn is currently offline Click here to Send Esau Cairn a Private Message Find more posts by Esau Cairn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Never watched the tv show

so trying to compare something won't affect me.

Old Post Aug 5th, 2014 07:20 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Going by Joblo.com, They gave the movie a 9 out of 10.

Old Post Sep 15th, 2014 07:10 AM
marwash22
HELL YEAH.

smh. Denzel out here saving these hoes.

Old Post Sep 15th, 2014 04:04 PM
marwash22 is currently offline Click here to Send marwash22 a Private Message Find more posts by marwash22 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dreampanther
We all face the reaper.

I'll watch this. I thought Denzel made a decent Creasy, even though the ending was a complete betrayal of the character and the original story. F@cking Hollywood - and don't even get me started on using a freaking midget to play the role of a 230 pound, 6 foot 5 ex-MP. Child is such a sell-out.

Though, admittedly, if Hollywood offered me enough money I suppose I could always salve my conscience with booze and broads. Just hope Cruise doesn't return for the next one.

Yikes, getting a bit side-tracked there. Mini rant over. Like I said, I'll watch this - but probably not on the big screen.

May all your dreams come true - except for one.

Old Post Sep 15th, 2014 10:03 PM
Dreampanther is currently offline Click here to Send Dreampanther a Private Message Find more posts by Dreampanther Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Esau Cairn
Contagious

Juz judging from the trailer...this movie is more like a loose remake of Charles Bronson's Death Wish than The Equalizer.

What made the tv series was Edward Woodward...not Denzel.

Old Post Sep 16th, 2014 02:41 AM
Esau Cairn is currently offline Click here to Send Esau Cairn a Private Message Find more posts by Esau Cairn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lestov16
CTU Field Agent

I enjoyed it quite a bit
7.8/10

Jack Bauer

Old Post Sep 28th, 2014 12:27 AM
Lestov16 is currently offline Click here to Send Lestov16 a Private Message Find more posts by Lestov16 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scribble

It had a rather good scene with a gun. Sadly, unmemorable otherwise.

Old Post Sep 28th, 2014 12:30 AM
Scribble is currently offline Click here to Send Scribble a Private Message Find more posts by Scribble Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lestov16
CTU Field Agent

It was a good movie. Not one of the best films ever, but exactly what the trailer promised.

Jack Bauer

Old Post Sep 28th, 2014 12:33 AM
Lestov16
CTU Field Agent

My review of The Equalizer:

I love Antoine Fuqua. He is IMO the American Luc Besson. He can take any disreputable subject matter and make it interesting as hell. I loved Olympus Has Fallen, Shooter, and Tears of The Sun. Here we have a film that I can best describe as an awesome hard-R violent action breed of The Bourne Series and Burn Notice, with the cherry on top of Denzel Washington.

SPOILERS AHEAD:

Like the two aforementioned titles, this film is about an omnicompetent badass, Robert McCall, who lives in a peaceful life of normalcy in Boston until a prostitute he befriends is brutally beaten by her Russian pimps. After he fails to buy her freedom with $9,800, he brutally kills the entire roomful of Russian goons as payback. His vigilantism continues when he intimidates two cops to pay back the money he extorted from his friend's mother, and takes back the ring from a robber who stole it from his dept. store. After the Russian mobsters find out his identity and attempt to kill him, he goes on his own tactical and meticulous rampage taking down their entire Boston operation. This leads to a climax in a dept. store that is somewhat like Die Hard (not that I found this bad) only if the protagonist was a violent mixture of MacGuyver and Rambo. After going to Moscow and taking care of the head boss personally, he begins life helping the helpless as The Equalizer.

Fuqua's direction is excellent in this film and although it may feel tedious at times due to it's length, the story is thoroughly engaging and entertaining, and Washington obviously nails the serene role of McCall.

Compared to other action heroes McCall ranks very high up there. He displays a Bourne/Holmes-like ability to instantly (represented as slo mo) see variables in a situation that will provide a tactical advantage, very meticulous, to a near OCD-level, especially in terms of time calculation, and even counting out the exact amount of multiple giant stacks of hundreds of millions of dollars, nigh-stoppable in CQB, easily breaking bones and necks and having gun-snatching reflexes, his only true physical opponent in the film being a giant Russian who was tanking multiple stab wounds like nothing, skilled in electronics, mechanical engineering, surveillance, interrogation, stealth, explosives (blowing up an oil tanker belonging to Russian mobsters), and as stated above, MacGuyver/Rambo-esque tactical improvisation. He's rather durable, having cauterized a bullet wound at two points in the film and being no worse for the wear, the second point right before he fought the big Russian. He never uses a gun once in the film (although he turns a Russian goons gun on himself at one point), as he is quick enough to disarm/maim/kill his opponents a la Bourne, although given his slo-mo I have no doubt he's a good shot. His intellect combined with his lethality definitely make him one of the deadliest action heroes of the contemporary age.

My only complaint would be it's pacing. The film is very long. That being stated, I can not think of any part I would have wanted to be cut out. I think the problem is that Fuqua relishes quite a bit in the directing at some points, although it's not a hindrance on the film by any means and in fact adds to it's quality.

This film was a great popcorn action flick a la Taken. It was exactly what the trailer promised and based on the sequel, was an excellent origin story for the action hero of the new age.

7.8/10

Jack Bauer

Last edited by Lestov16 on Sep 28th, 2014 at 04:18 AM

Old Post Sep 28th, 2014 04:04 AM
Time Immemorial
Restricted

Account Restricted

Marketing campaign and trailers were horrible, actual movie, excellent.

Old Post Sep 28th, 2014 05:22 AM
Time Immemorial is currently offline Click here to Send Time Immemorial a Private Message Find more posts by Time Immemorial Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

The movie pretty much owned the North American box office

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?...le&id=55857

Old Post Sep 29th, 2014 08:36 AM
Lestov16
CTU Field Agent

It deserves it. Definitely one of the best action films I've seen in a while, and probably the best action film released this year. But then again, Fuqua never disappoints, so I'm not too surprised.

Jack Bauer

Old Post Sep 29th, 2014 10:33 AM
marwash22
HELL YEAH.

This movie was dope.

It's like they watched "Taken", took everything good about it, and wrapped it up in a neat little bow instead of dragging it out for two additional shit movies.

Old Post Jan 16th, 2015 08:22 AM
marwash22 is currently offline Click here to Send marwash22 a Private Message Find more posts by marwash22 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

Reminds me of Deja Vu vu and Miami Nights. Denzel needs to stop making money and start making movies, much like Liam Neeson.

Old Post Jan 16th, 2015 04:05 PM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Esau Cairn
Contagious

I didn't understand the point in McCall using his stopwatch?

One scene he predicts he can disarm/kill the bad guys in 16 (or pos 19) seconds...he checks his watch after to see that he was off.
Was it suppose to allude that he was getting slow, growing old?

Another scene when the bad guy visits his apartment, McCall times how long it takes him to return to his car...something that leads to nothing at all.

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2015 07:03 AM