KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » Is "Chivalry" Sexist?

Is "Chivalry" Sexist?
Started by: MF DELPH

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
ArtificialGlory
God-Emperor of Eternity

quote: (post)
Originally posted by MF DELPH
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...aims-study.html

Bumping to add this link to an article regarding a study that claims "chivalry" may in fact be sexist.

According to that article "hostile sexists" enjoy topless calendars. What a load of horseshit.

Old Post Jun 12th, 2015 07:25 PM
ArtificialGlory is currently offline Click here to Send ArtificialGlory a Private Message Find more posts by ArtificialGlory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

I hold the door open for everybody.

They still won't get my ****ing seat.

Old Post Jun 12th, 2015 07:29 PM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Astner
The Ghost Who Walks

Originally posted by Bardock42
That's a very simplistic understanding of sexism. Additionally it doesn't take into account the emotional level of being infantilised, due to it.

So it's sexist of me to expect a grown woman to be able to reject an offer she's uncomfortable with?

Old Post Jun 12th, 2015 07:29 PM
Astner is currently offline Click here to Send Astner a Private Message Find more posts by Astner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ArtificialGlory
God-Emperor of Eternity

Originally posted by NemeBro
I hold the door open for everybody.

They still won't get my ****ing seat.

Same. Once I manage to plop my ass down somewhere, I'm not moving.

Old Post Jun 12th, 2015 07:30 PM
ArtificialGlory is currently offline Click here to Send ArtificialGlory a Private Message Find more posts by ArtificialGlory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Originally posted by Quincy
I wouldn't say Chivalry is sexist as much as it is just being nice.

If I offer to help an old woman put her groceries away I don't think I'm being mean as to say "YOU CANT DO THIS WITHOUT DYING PROBABLY."

It's just helpful. Giving a woman your seat or opening the door is just being courteous. I'd do the same for a guy but I doubt anyone would call that "chivalrous."

I mean, would someone say "Women and Children first" is sexist?

Yes, women and children first is sexist.

The thing is chivalry is not just opening doors for women. It's the expectation in society that men should open doors for women (based on them being weaker and less capable)...and that is sexist. If you use chivalry to mean courteous, and do not discriminate based on gender, then that's fine, but it's not really what chivalry means.

Originally posted by Robtard
Not sure if holding the door for someone is "infantilizing" them.

Being told by society that people have to look out for you because you can't look out for yourself is infantilising.

Old Post Jun 12th, 2015 07:30 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Being told by society that people have to look out for you because you can't look out for yourself is infantilising.

Or it could just be politeness and not someone thinking: "this person is like an infant".

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Jun 12th, 2015 07:31 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Originally posted by Astner
So it's sexist of me to expect a grown woman to be able to reject an offer she's uncomfortable with?

Probably, though that's not what I said.

If we are going off on that tangent though, I would say it is sexist of you to expect it, because, once again, you are disregarding the circumstances, i.e. that women are taught not to speak up about their wishes as well as that women have good reasons to not be frank or confrontational with men.

Old Post Jun 12th, 2015 07:32 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Or it could just be politeness and not someone thinking: "this person is like an infant".

I feel like you are disregarding my point.

Being courteous does not mean you think that the person is a child. Chivalry as it exists in our society does infantilize women.

Old Post Jun 12th, 2015 07:33 PM
Astner
The Ghost Who Walks

Don't quote me if you're not going to address my arguments.

Old Post Jun 12th, 2015 07:35 PM
Astner is currently offline Click here to Send Astner a Private Message Find more posts by Astner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Originally posted by Astner
Don't quote me if you're not going to address my arguments.

I'm sorry, which argument do you feel I haven't addressed?

Old Post Jun 12th, 2015 07:36 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

I feel like you are disregarding my point.

Being courteous does not mean you think that the person is a child. Chivalry as it exists in our society does infantilize women.

Fair enough. But you're essentially saying that a person is not sexist for being polite and holding a door open, but the act itself is sexist.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Jun 12th, 2015 07:36 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
One Big Mob
Dead

I'm going to start pulling the door shut behind me

Old Post Jun 12th, 2015 07:38 PM
One Big Mob is currently offline Click here to Send One Big Mob a Private Message Find more posts by One Big Mob Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Fair enough. But you're essentially saying that a person is not sexist for being polite and holding a door open, but the act itself is sexist.

Yes, that is exactly what I said here:

While I think chivalry is sexist, I don't necessarily think that means that people that are chivalrous are sexist. Definitely not consciously usually. But it still contributes to and is caused by sexist gender roles.

I think people who are not sexist at all are usually not what we call chivalrous, but courteous to everyone.

Chivalry as a concept is sexist, and there are many men that are sexist that are chivalrous. But being courteous to people is not sexist itself, it doesn't exist in a vacuum though.

Maybe to rephrase that, I think we should never teach our kids that men should hold open doors for women, we should teach them that people should open doors for people cause it's a nice thing to do.

Old Post Jun 12th, 2015 07:39 PM
Astner
The Ghost Who Walks

So acts of chivalry aren't sexist, but chivalry as a concept is sexist?

How does that make sense to you?

Old Post Jun 12th, 2015 07:45 PM
Newjak
I am Beyond Power

Is Chivalry sexist? Yeah it is. Why because the mentality that lead to specified gender roles that have come with Chivalry contributed to a lot of the gender issues we are currently dealing with. Women are to be coveted and treated like objects for men to take and men are to be the heads protectors, essentially guard dogs, to women. It's a system that has lead to a lot of stress on both genders. More so for women I will say.

If you're going to do something nice for someone like hold the door you should do it for everyone. If you would offer your seat to a woman you should do it for everyone.

Now that being said pretending that men and women are the exact same isn't helpful either. Now I'm not talking in a sense women are inferior to men as a gender. I'm saying biological things like a woman is more likely to be weaker than a man on average. Flip side women are more often more flexible. Women deal with biological issues that I as a man will never have to and vice versa. As well as cultural things, women are perceived to be easier targets and therefore are often attacked more than a man.

So I might be more inclined to ask a female friend if they want walked to their car late at night than I am a male friend. Now I would still base this on the individual person but I still understand that there is a difference between a man and woman in this situation most of the time.

What I'm saying is that we are all people. We should all treat each other as people first but understand we are different and be okay with that. I do not feel Chivalry as it has become does that. It puts our genders first and sometimes as the most important thing while seeing us as people second.

sig by Rao Kal El

Last edited by Newjak on Jun 12th, 2015 at 07:51 PM

Old Post Jun 12th, 2015 07:46 PM
Newjak is currently offline Click here to Send Newjak a Private Message Find more posts by Newjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Quincy
Debaser

Wish a woman would weigh in on this discussion.

Sig by Scribble

Old Post Jun 12th, 2015 07:48 PM
Quincy is currently offline Click here to Send Quincy a Private Message Find more posts by Quincy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Newjak
I am Beyond Power

That would be nice.

sig by Rao Kal El

Old Post Jun 12th, 2015 07:49 PM
Newjak is currently offline Click here to Send Newjak a Private Message Find more posts by Newjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Originally posted by Newjak
Is Chivalry sexist? Yeah it is. Why because the mentality that lead to specified gender roles that have come with Chivalry contributed to a lot of the gender issues we are currently dealing with. Women are to be coveted and treated like objects for men to take and men are to be the heads protectors, essentially guard dogs, to women. It's a system that has lead to a lot of stress on both genders. More so for women I will say.

If you're going to do something nice for someone like hold the door you should do it for everyone. If you would offer your seat to a woman you should do it for everyone.

Now that being said pretending that men and women are the exact same isn't helpful either. Now I'm not talking in a sense women are inferior to men as a gender. I'm saying biological things like a woman is more likely to be weaker than a man on average. They deal with biological issues that I as a man will never have to and vice versa. As well as cultural things, women are perceived to be easier targets and therefore are often attacked more than a man.

So I might be more inclined to ask a female friend if they want walked to their car late at night than I am a male friend. Now I would still base this on the individual person but I still understand that there is a difference between a man and woman in this situation most of the time.

What I'm saying is that we are all people. We should all treat each other as people first but understand we are different and be okay with that. I do not feel Chivalry as it has become does that. It puts our genders first and sometimes as the most important thing while seeing us as people second.

thumb up

Originally posted by Newjak
That would be nice.

The GDF and sub forums thereof have a bit of a gender issue...

Old Post Jun 12th, 2015 07:49 PM
Quincy
Debaser

Anybody here ever read Preacher?

Sig by Scribble

Old Post Jun 12th, 2015 07:58 PM
Quincy is currently offline Click here to Send Quincy a Private Message Find more posts by Quincy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Anybody here ever read Preacher?

Yes, where is this going.

Old Post Jun 12th, 2015 08:00 PM