KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Drew Karpyshyn on The Sith Emperor

Drew Karpyshyn on The Sith Emperor
Started by: XSUPREMEXSKILLZ

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (15): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
The Immortal Emperor

Drew Karpyshyn on The Sith Emperor

Since Drew Karpyshyn is evasive in regards to direct comparisons between characters, I manipulated the context in such a way as to get a pretty solid answer from him. This is an email I sent to him not too long ago:

"So, a character in the star wars universe that has always intrigued me is Emperor Vitiate, the main antagonist of Revan, as well as the Star Wars: The Old Republic MMO. From how he is depicted in your novel, he strikes me as a being similar to Darth Sidious in control and appearance, but at the core he is far madder, nihilistic, even more powerful. He seems to have transcended both jedi and sith, rather becoming an entity of unimaginable strength. When Revan fights him, it not only seems like the greatest opponent he's ever faced, but rather the greatest opponent anyone has ever faced. My question to you: Was this how you imagined the Emperor when you wrote your novel? A godlike abomination bent on destroying the galaxy to become even more powerful? Because from implications on his backstory, it seems that he's already transcended all jedi and sith, from any era. Thanks."

In this email, I fellate the Emperor to the extent where it couldn't be ignored in response. To be exact:

"I didn't actually create the Emperor; the SWTOR online team had fleshed
out much of his character and backstory before I came on the project.
However, I think your analysis of his character is pretty solid - that's
sort of what I was going for in the novel. The only thing I'd add is that
he's also very insecure: he has immortal power, and he's terrified of
losing it. It's sort of ironic, because the stronger he gets the more
desperate he becomes to hold onto his power."

So yeah, take it as you will. I just thought it was pretty interesting.

Old Post Aug 14th, 2014 09:42 PM
Click here to Send XSUPREMEXSKILLZ a Private Message Find more posts by XSUPREMEXSKILLZ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FreshestSlice
Eternal Commander

I hope that Vitiate one day comes to show all of the power he's being praised for.

Old Post Aug 14th, 2014 09:57 PM
Click here to Send FreshestSlice a Private Message Find more posts by FreshestSlice Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

quote: (post)
Originally posted by FreshestSlice
I hope that Vitiate one day comes to show all of the power he's being praised for.

It's called the Revan novel. He smacked down a guy who is beyond Darth Nox's imaginations. erm

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Old Post Aug 14th, 2014 09:58 PM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Don't you only put Revan on Dooku levels? Which is below Nox's?

Also it would be pretty hypocritical for me to take this seriously, huh?

Old Post Aug 14th, 2014 10:00 PM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

I raised Revan based on new evidence.
[SPOILER - highlight to read]: And Malak. (please log in to view the image)

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Old Post Aug 14th, 2014 10:00 PM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Oh really. Where abouts do you put him now, Malgus + Vader level?

Old Post Aug 14th, 2014 10:01 PM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

What the ****?

Old Post Aug 14th, 2014 10:02 PM
FreshestSlice
Eternal Commander

Originally posted by DarthAnt66
It's called the Revan novel. He smacked down a guy who is beyond Darth Nox's imaginations. erm

Originally posted by DarthAnt66
(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Aug 14th, 2014 10:03 PM
Click here to Send FreshestSlice a Private Message Find more posts by FreshestSlice Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

They're a tier above Dooku in terms of power.

Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

I thought you meant Vader and Malgus combined bro.

Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Only Bane and Zannah are that powerful, dude.

Old Post Aug 14th, 2014 10:06 PM
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

I lowered Zannah below Maul. (please log in to view the image)

Old Post Aug 14th, 2014 10:09 PM
Darth Abonis

I think Drew is the best Star Wars author.

Old Post Aug 14th, 2014 10:33 PM
Click here to Send Darth Abonis a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Abonis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

Originally posted by Darth Abonis

Old Post Aug 14th, 2014 10:35 PM
Nalaniel

Originally posted by Darth Abonis

What about James Luceno?

Old Post Aug 14th, 2014 10:38 PM
Click here to Send Nalaniel a Private Message Find more posts by Nalaniel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

The best Star Wars author is blank101.

Old Post Aug 14th, 2014 10:41 PM
Sinious
Yo Da Best

So he finally answered you. Quite interesting that he approved your depiction. You basically made him indirectly say that Vitiate is more powerful than FOTJ Luke. big grin

I'm not sure what to take from his answer.

Originally posted by FreshestSlice

Seriously, he is being described as a godlike being yet has so few showings and his almost impossible to achieve feats like DC one-shoting or Natemha annihilation seems to have required prep. I think the closest we get to see his real powers in combat are in Revan and his performance against the Jedi strike team on his space station which are pretty insane as well but I would love to see more.

Old Post Aug 14th, 2014 11:54 PM
Click here to Send Sinious a Private Message Find more posts by Sinious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The_Tempest

I love how Karpyshyn's so quick to mention that Viti's afraid of losing his power like it's some sort of unique, unprecedented aspect of a Star Wars character that makes this particular one all the more special.

Keep it up Drew! thumb up

Old Post Aug 15th, 2014 12:19 AM
Click here to Send The_Tempest a Private Message Find more posts by The_Tempest Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sinious
Yo Da Best

Originally posted by The_Tempest

I love how Karpyshyn's so quick to mention that Viti's afraid of losing his power like it's some sort of unique, unprecedented aspect of a Star Wars character that makes this particular one all the more special.

Keep it up Drew! thumb up

Thats exactly what I thought when I read it. big grin

Old Post Aug 15th, 2014 12:22 AM
Click here to Send Sinious a Private Message Find more posts by Sinious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The_Tempest

Yeah, I cracked up.

"YEAH HE'S SO UBERLY POWERFUL AND AWESOME AND EPIC HE'S THIS TOTALLY NEW THING A BLACK-CLOAKED EMPEROR OBSESSED WITH ULTIMATE POWAH BUT I DID THIS REALLY COOL THING WHERE I WROTE HIM AS INSECURE BECAUSE HE LIKE TOTALLY LIKES POWER AND DOESNT WANNA LOSE IT ISNT THAT COOL?"

lol

Old Post Aug 15th, 2014 12:24 AM
Click here to Send The_Tempest a Private Message Find more posts by The_Tempest Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote