KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Drew Karpyshyn on The Sith Emperor

Drew Karpyshyn on The Sith Emperor
Started by: XSUPREMEXSKILLZ

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (15): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Butthurt detected.

Old Post Aug 15th, 2014 12:35 AM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sinious
Yo Da Best

quote: (post)
Originally posted by The_Tempest
Yeah, I cracked up.

"YEAH HE'S SO UBERLY POWERFUL AND AWESOME AND EPIC HE'S THIS TOTALLY NEW THING A BLACK-CLOAKED EMPEROR OBSESSED WITH ULTIMATE POWAH BUT I DID THIS REALLY COOL THING WHERE I WROTE HIM AS INSECURE BECAUSE HE LIKE TOTALLY LIKES POWER AND DOESNT WANNA LOSE IT ISNT THAT COOL?"

lol

I think if you look at it through my perspective for a second, you might be able to enjoy both characters.

In the story, I think that Vitiate has reshaped the sith culture. He took it to the next level and when Sidious turned the republic into a sith organization, he took a lot from that culture.

The concept of ultimate sith antagonists in Star Wars is really narrow so some similarities are inevitable. I see them as the 2 main evil dudes of SW and one is like a medieval king whose power comes openly from aristocracy and doesn't require a lot political manipulation where the other is more of a modern corporate evil being who rules in secret and has to have a separate public image from his hidden identity until he takes over the world/galaxy and enforces his will through values and ideas like democracy, peace, fear of terrorism(separatists) etc.

"That is why you fail."

Old Post Aug 15th, 2014 12:36 AM
Click here to Send Sinious a Private Message Find more posts by Sinious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The_Tempest

Originally posted by Nephthys
Butthurt detected.

Why would I be butthurt? At best, he tacitly agrees with SUPREMESKILLZ assessment that Vitiate is stronger than Sidious. This is also the same guy who thinks Bane, Revan, and Vader are more or less equal. While he's certainly an authority on the characters he's written, I've never put stock on his estimation of where they rank to cross-era individuals. He's no Leland Chee.

More importantly, all he really does is confirm that Vitiate is a clone of Sidious all the way down to sharing the same driving fear. The fact that he genuinely thinks he's brought something new to the table is hilarious.

quote:
Sinious
I think if you look at it through my perspective for a second, you might be able to enjoy both characters.

In the story, I think that Vitiate has reshaped the sith culture. He took it to the next level and when Sidious turned the republic into a sith organization, he took a lot from that culture.

The concept of ultimate sith antagonists in Star Wars is really narrow so some similarities are inevitable. I see them as the 2 main evil dudes of SW and one is like a medieval king whose power comes openly from aristocracy and doesn't require a lot political manipulation where the other is more of a modern corporate evil being who rules in secret and has to have a separate public image from his hidden identity until he takes over the world/galaxy and enforces his will through values and ideas like democracy, peace, fear of terrorism(separatists) etc.

I'm familiar with your perspective, but it doesn't make much sense to me. At the end of the day, TOR's writers were given an opportunity to create their own unique storyline with unique characters. Vitiate is pretty much universally recognized as a total ripoff of Sidious and all Karpyshyn does is outright confirm it here. Why would I enjoy that? It's been done already and it's been done better. erm

Old Post Aug 15th, 2014 12:48 AM
Click here to Send The_Tempest a Private Message Find more posts by The_Tempest Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Stark
Lord of Winterfell

Yeah, sorry SWTOR fanboys, Drew's subtle wank of Sidious does not contradict over a decade of sourcebooks naming Sidious as the most powerful Sith Lord in galactic history.

The North Remembers

Old Post Aug 15th, 2014 12:52 AM
Click here to Send Lord Stark a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Stark Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The_Tempest

"Subtle" laughing out loud

Old Post Aug 15th, 2014 12:53 AM
Click here to Send The_Tempest a Private Message Find more posts by The_Tempest Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sinious
Yo Da Best

I'm familiar with your perspective, but it doesn't make much sense to me. At the end of the day, TOR's writers were given an opportunity to create their own unique storyline with unique characters. Vitiate is pretty much universally recognized as a total ripoff of Sidious and all Karpyshyn does is outright confirm it here. Why would I enjoy that? It's been done already and it's been done better. erm

You didn't get my point then. They're not inseparable clones. They are 2 different versions of the same concept of evil.

I agree with you on how BioWare has missed an amazing opportunity to make Vitiate unique but what they have created at least is, a combination of Nihilus and Sidious with some adjustments. I think you are unnecessarily overreacting here. Just enjoy. wink

Old Post Aug 15th, 2014 12:56 AM
Click here to Send Sinious a Private Message Find more posts by Sinious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The_Tempest

Originally posted by Sinious
You didn't get my point then. They're not inseparable clones. They are 2 different versions of the same concept of evil.

I agree with you on how BioWare has missed an amazing opportunity to make Vitiate unique but what they have created at least is, a combination of Nihilus and Sidious with some adjustments. I think you are unnecessarily overreacting here. Just enjoy. wink

Nah, bro, I just like to see new elements to the mythology rather than have the same shit recycled and pandered to the audience with the most minor of alterations. Sue me.

Old Post Aug 15th, 2014 12:59 AM
Sinious
Yo Da Best

Nah, bro, I just like to see new elements to the mythology rather than have the same shit recycled and pandered to the audience with the most minor of alterations. Sue me.

Well, I tried. big grin Keep on with your hatred then but remember, when you're pissing on Vitiate, you're indirectly pissing on Sidious which is like the 2 worst crimes committed at once in my book. stick out tongue

Last edited by Sinious on Aug 15th, 2014 at 01:05 AM

Old Post Aug 15th, 2014 01:03 AM
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Why would I be butthurt? At best, he tacitly agrees with SUPREMESKILLZ assessment that Vitiate is stronger than Sidious. This is also the same guy who thinks Bane, Revan, and Vader are more or less equal.

Don't you agree with that though? :? I thought that's basically where you put them anyway.

Also Sidious never really acts like he's afraid of losing power. If he was he wouldn't laugh his ass off in the middle of fights or constantly push people by being a giant shitlord all the time.

Last edited by Nephthys on Aug 15th, 2014 at 01:11 AM

Old Post Aug 15th, 2014 01:08 AM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FreshestSlice
Eternal Commander

Originally posted by Sinious

Seriously, he is being described as a godlike being yet has so few showings and his almost impossible to achieve feats like DC one-shoting or Natemha annihilation seems to have required prep. I think the closest we get to see his real powers in combat are in Revan and his performance against the Jedi strike team on his space station which are pretty insane as well but I would love to see more.

Exactly. None of those feats are "godlike." I don't care if Sidious is the most powerful, or Vitiate is "the greatest opponent anyone has ever faced." Just back it up. With anything (besides and encylopedia). The most godlike thing he's ever done is torture people in his basement for hundreds of years.

Old Post Aug 15th, 2014 01:18 AM
Click here to Send FreshestSlice a Private Message Find more posts by FreshestSlice Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Based
iPinoy

At the end of the day, TOR's writers were given an opportunity to create their own unique storyline with unique characters.

Not really, BioWare has made a killing from ripping off the OT characters. Revan is their poster boy but a lot of elements were from Anakin. Malak and Malgus are blatant homages to Vader aesthetically. Canderous is a Mandalorian bounty hunter. Wonder where the fvck I've heard that before. They created their own Yoda to head the order, etc.

Not that they are necessarily bad characters but the motto for the writing team is to stick with popular Star Wars tropes and put their own backstory to it. It's been up and down. Revan for the most part is good. Vitiate is the bad but he's more of an aberration.

Now of course I would've gladly preferred the KOTOR 2 way where they flipped a lot of things around and truly made a unique entry to the Star Wars universe. Didn't rely on the uber Jesus main character and the companions were against the normal Star Wars traditions save for Atton. But the public didn't like KOTOR2 as much so they stuck with copying.

Old Post Aug 15th, 2014 01:28 AM
Click here to Send Based a Private Message Find more posts by Based Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Stark
Lord of Winterfell

Don't you agree with that though? :? I thought that's basically where you put them anyway.

Also Sidious never really acts like he's afraid of losing power. If he was he wouldn't laugh his ass off in the middle of fights or constantly push people by being a giant shitlord all the time.

Do you even know what Dun Moch is bro? Also did you miss Sidious' speech "All who gain power fear to lose it"

The North Remembers

Old Post Aug 15th, 2014 01:42 AM
Click here to Send Lord Stark a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Stark Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sinious
Yo Da Best

Originally posted by FreshestSlice
Exactly. None of those feats are "godlike." I don't care if Sidious is the most powerful, or Vitiate is "the greatest opponent anyone has ever faced." Just back it up. With anything (besides and encylopedia). The most godlike thing he's ever done is torture people in his basement for hundreds of years.

Well of course he isnt a god but he has reached a certain level of power that is unimaginable to most. IIRC, Revan couldnt believe it when he heard about him killing an entire Dark Council by himself.

Originally posted by Based

Now of course I would've gladly preferred the KOTOR 2 way where they flipped a lot of things around and truly made a unique entry to the Star Wars universe. Didn't rely on the uber Jesus main character and the companions were against the normal Star Wars traditions save for Atton. But the public didn't like KOTOR2 as much so they stuck with copying.

Agreed.

Old Post Aug 15th, 2014 01:45 AM
The_Tempest

No, I rank Revan above Vader and put them both well ahead of Bane.

Yeah, he's a maniacal ass who enjoys throwing down from time to time. He's also the dude who ran from Yoda when he thought he might lose. They're not mutually exclusive.

quote:
Based
Not really, BioWare has made a killing from ripping off the OT characters. Revan is their poster boy but a lot of elements were from Anakin. Malak and Malgus are blatant homages to Vader aesthetically. Canderous is a Mandalorian bounty hunter. Wonder where the fvck I've heard that before. They created their own Yoda to head the order, etc.

Not that they are necessarily bad characters but the motto for the writing team is to stick with popular Star Wars tropes and put their own backstory to it. It's been up and down. Revan for the most part is good. Vitiate is the bad but he's more of an aberration.

Revan, Malak, and Canderous were homages without being outright derivative.

quote:
Stark
Do you even know what Dun Moch is bro? Also did you miss Sidious' speech "All who gain power fear to lose it"

thumb up thumb up thumb up

Karpyshyn apparently labors under the delusion that ROTS is some sort of obscure indie film that no one but him saw.

Old Post Aug 15th, 2014 02:38 AM
red8

erm

Old Post Aug 15th, 2014 03:13 AM
Click here to Send red8 a Private Message Find more posts by red8 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FreshestSlice
Eternal Commander

Sacrilege

You put Revan above Vader, but Malgus below Galen? I can't begin to even...

Last edited by FreshestSlice on Aug 15th, 2014 at 03:50 AM

Old Post Aug 15th, 2014 03:39 AM
Click here to Send FreshestSlice a Private Message Find more posts by FreshestSlice Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nalaniel

To me, Sidious is still the most powerful Sith there is. I don't care about what Karpyshyn says.

Old Post Aug 15th, 2014 09:37 AM
Click here to Send Nalaniel a Private Message Find more posts by Nalaniel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Ok.

Yeah, he's a maniacal ass who enjoys throwing down from time to time. He's also the dude who ran from Yoda when he thought he might lose. They're not mutually exclusive.

Its not the same thing, Palpatine doesn't have an obsessive paranoia that makes him completely hide himself from the galaxy and operate through numerous proxies to minimise risk. Or at least, not in the well known texts. Being scared of losing power is something all Sith have, not a defining aspect of their personalities like in the case of Vitiate.

Old Post Aug 15th, 2014 11:30 AM
The_Tempest

Its not the same thing, Palpatine doesn't have an obsessive paranoia that makes him completely hide himself from the galaxy and operate through numerous proxies to minimise risk. Or at least, not in the well known texts. Being scared of losing power is something all Sith have, not a defining aspect of their personalities like in the case of Vitiate.

erm

Palpatine removing himself from the greater affairs of the galaxy and the Empire and operating through intermediaries has been an aspect of the character for twenty years. And Viti being more paranoid and insecure than Sidious doesn't at all make that facet of the character exclusive or original. Especially when this element of Sith paranoia is lampshaded by Palpatine almost 10 years ago in a five minute speech in ROTS.

I know you're desperate to validate the character's existence, but you haven't really come close. We all know Viti's existence owes everything to Palpatine and we all know he's a pale imitation. This isn't the first time you've utterly failed to make your case and I'm sure it won't be the last. But I'm not sure why this is so difficult for you to grasp when the similarities are so numerous and blatant as to be undeniable.

Old Post Aug 15th, 2014 11:43 AM
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

erm

Palpatine removing himself from the greater affairs of the galaxy and the Empire and operating through intermediaries has been an aspect of the character for twenty years. And Viti being more paranoid and insecure than Sidious doesn't at all make that facet of the character exclusive or original. Especially when this element of Sith paranoia is lampshaded by Palpatine almost 10 years ago in a five minute speech in ROTS.

I know you're desperate to validate the character's existence, but you haven't really come close. We all know Viti's existence owes everything to Palpatine and we all know he's a pale imitation. This isn't the first time you've utterly failed to make your case and I'm sure it won't be the last. But I'm not sure why this is so difficult for you to grasp when the similarities are so numerous and blatant as to be undeniable.

erm

That's just the standard operating procedure of being the Emperor, not obsessive paranoia. Of course he's not going to dirty his hands with minutia and operate mainly through agents. He's the ****ing Emperor, duh. He still personally went to the second Death Star to turn Luke and wipe out the Rebels even though it put him in harms way, he still let GG kidnap him etc. That's not paranoia, that's arrogance, a far larger part of his character. Again, Palpatine being somewhat paranoid is a minor aspect of his character, with Vitiate it's a major part of both his character and the story around him. You might as well claim Vitiate is copying Palpatine by having powerful mind powers. Yeah, Palpatine has that but it's not a big part of his character or significant in any way. With Vitiate it's one of the central concepts of the character. It's completely different in how it's written, and thus not copying.

Old Post Aug 15th, 2014 11:54 AM