KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » Is God A super being?

Is God A super being?
Started by: Aylif

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (9): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Tattoos N Scars
Modern Day Drifter

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
How?

Because if a place like that exists, isn't that assurance enough? I was referring to Gecko as if he was there or going to be there.

I can't assure an atheist of anything regarding faith in response to your question.

Old Post Aug 21st, 2014 04:22 AM
Tattoos N Scars is currently offline Click here to Send Tattoos N Scars a Private Message Find more posts by Tattoos N Scars Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Esau Cairn
Contagious

Originally posted by Tattoos N Scars
God doesn't demand anything. It's up to the individual to choose to do so.

Accept Him as our Saviour or be condemned to Hell...

I think the word, "demand" kinda fits in that logic.

Old Post Aug 21st, 2014 06:10 AM
Esau Cairn is currently offline Click here to Send Esau Cairn a Private Message Find more posts by Esau Cairn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Because if a place like that exists, isn't that assurance enough? I was referring to Gecko as if he was there or going to be there.

I can't assure an atheist of anything regarding faith in response to your question.
You said that you could assure him that it will be better than he thinks. That you could assure him. As a living mortal, what assurances can you give?

Old Post Aug 21st, 2014 06:20 AM
Lord Lucien is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tattoos N Scars
Modern Day Drifter

Originally posted by Esau Cairn
Accept Him as our Saviour or be condemned to Hell...

I think the word, "demand" kinda fits in that logic.

You are free to choose. You choose your own fate. If you were fixing to drown and I threw you a life preserver, it would be your choice to use it or not. I'm not demanding that you use it, I'm offering to save your life. That is what salvation in Jesus is. He is offering you a life line.

Old Post Aug 21st, 2014 06:43 AM
Tattoos N Scars is currently offline Click here to Send Tattoos N Scars a Private Message Find more posts by Tattoos N Scars Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tattoos N Scars
Modern Day Drifter

Originally posted by Lord Lucien
You said that you could assure him that it will be better than he thinks. That you could assure him. As a living mortal, what assurances can you give?

I can't give assurances unless someone has faith. The only thing I can assure anyone of that does not require faith is that death is inevitable. What happens after that, well yhat just depends on what you choose to believe.

Old Post Aug 21st, 2014 06:47 AM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

You are free to choose. You choose your own fate. If you were fixing to drown and I threw you a life preserver, it would be your choice to use it or not. I'm not demanding that you use it, I'm offering to save your life. That is what salvation in Jesus is. He is offering you a life line.
Given that God is the one who created Hell and the rules we have to obey, yeah, he IS demanding it of us. He made the game, made the rules, made the players, and gave them only two options: my way or Hell. I can demand of you to give me all you own and threaten to burn down your house if you don't do it, but that doesn't change the fact that I'm demanding it. Choices don't stop the fact that God is making demands and threatening you with punishment if you don't acquiesce.

I can't give assurances unless someone has faith. The only thing I can assure anyone of that does not require faith is that death is inevitable. What happens after that, well yhat just depends on what you choose to believe.
I know you can't give assurances. You're a mortal, you know nothing of the beyond.

Old Post Aug 21st, 2014 06:49 AM
Lord Lucien is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Esau Cairn
Contagious

Ok by your logic...if I can't afford to pay an exorbitant fee to guarantee every member of my family health insurance then by your reasoning, I'm responsible for their death if something life threatening happened to them?

Old Post Aug 21st, 2014 07:11 AM
Esau Cairn is currently offline Click here to Send Esau Cairn a Private Message Find more posts by Esau Cairn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

I like your analogy. It's really well thought out. The problem I see is not with you, but with other people who keep throwing that life preserver at me while I walk down the street. We are not drowning. The story of Adam and Eve is just a story, and there is no original sin.

If your religion makes you happy, then I am happy for you, but the sky is not falling.

Old Post Aug 21st, 2014 03:05 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tattoos N Scars
Modern Day Drifter

Originally posted by Esau Cairn
Ok by your logic...if I can't afford to pay an exorbitant fee to guarantee every member of my family health insurance then by your reasoning, I'm responsible for their death if something life threatening happened to them?

That is a strawman, not same thing at all.

Old Post Aug 21st, 2014 10:32 PM
Time Immemorial
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Epicurus
Nope, God is a super-junkie.

Just like you, Quit blaming God and others for your problems. laughing

Old Post Aug 24th, 2014 03:32 AM
Time Immemorial is currently offline Click here to Send Time Immemorial a Private Message Find more posts by Time Immemorial Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AsbestosFlaygon
The Original One

With regards to the supposed physical manifestation of the Abrahamic god, Jesus Christ, he possessed powers and traits beyond that of a normal human.

At a very young age, he was capable of preaching the gospel to wise men/elders.
This implies he had an IQ that was over 9000.

A brief yet incomplete list includes:
- ability to heal any kind of sickness or disease (ie. leprosy, paralysis, blindness, etc.)
- can resurrect others as well as himself
- create a weaker version of himself (Jesus Christ)
- omniscience (can see the past, present, and future at all times)
- omnipresence (he is everything and everywhere)
- destroy buildings through sheer will
- shapeshifting (flame twister, dove, human, monster form in Revelation)
- multiply material objects (the fish and bread trick)
- can walk on water
- levitation
- super strength or telekinesis (breaking the barrier on his tomb)

No ordinary man could perform these feats.
There is no doubt that he was a superhuman being.

"Farewell, Damos... Ash, Pikachu... And you. All of my beloved." -- Arceus

Old Post Aug 27th, 2014 09:14 PM
AsbestosFlaygon is currently offline Click here to Send AsbestosFlaygon a Private Message Find more posts by AsbestosFlaygon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Is God A super being?

God is super being; super being is God.

cool

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Aug 27th, 2014 10:10 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KillaKassara
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Shakyamunison
We are not drowning.
Ignorance isn't always bliss. You think you have it made now? Imagine nothing you can't deal with coming your way, the garantee of your success in whatever you do. It is like having the feds at your beck and call to make something you want to happen, happen.

And I can say that because my observations of providence and divination differ in many ways from those of many religions.

I believe in a naturalistic system or anomoly, such as an advanced civilization or a conscious entity (like a dog or homosapien) from a time period in which the cosmological constant has changed significantly from its current state, or perhaps a bunch of IT technicians centuries from now decide to create a simulation of a solar system and society and societal era of their specifications in order to provide real people of the era with perfect virtual memories of their specifications and the life you think your living is just for the memories.

"Compounding these trickster aspects, the Joker ethos is verbally explicated as such by his psychiatrist, who describes his madness as "super-sanity." Where "sanity" previously suggested acquiescence with cultural codes, the addition of "super" implies that this common "sanity" has been replaced by a superior form, in which perception and processing are completely ungoverned and unconstrained"

Last edited by KillaKassara on Aug 27th, 2014 at 11:07 PM

Old Post Aug 27th, 2014 11:02 PM
KillaKassara is currently offline Click here to Send KillaKassara a Private Message Find more posts by KillaKassara Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KillaKassara
Restricted

Account Restricted

I do believe ther's a working theory in quantum mechanics that states something like everything can happen, and does happen at some temporal, dimensional, and spatial level.

"Compounding these trickster aspects, the Joker ethos is verbally explicated as such by his psychiatrist, who describes his madness as "super-sanity." Where "sanity" previously suggested acquiescence with cultural codes, the addition of "super" implies that this common "sanity" has been replaced by a superior form, in which perception and processing are completely ungoverned and unconstrained"

Old Post Aug 27th, 2014 11:23 PM
KillaKassara is currently offline Click here to Send KillaKassara a Private Message Find more posts by KillaKassara Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KillaKassara
Restricted

Account Restricted

Here's how I see it, and what has genuinely worked.

Follow your bliss (your first dreams, your true wishes) first and foremost, then you can choose, make the decision to do or not to do something based on the connotation or vibe of whatever divination is presented to you directly, near and around the time of making that decision. Connotations are formed by people, places, words, pictures and whatever may seem to you as circumstantially significant sign from day to day.

When you obey the will of a super being, it is natural to assume you will get on its good side, and perhaps form an unequivocally useful ally, but you cannot take advantage of this ally to be happy if you put your bliss aside to serve it; it is more important that you obey its direction when nothing is conflicting with your wishes.

That is based on the trial and error method, applying this belief to situation-based experimentation, to form the unbiased general subjective experience that I'm sharing with you here and now.

It seems that, unlike the Biblical relationship, the true relationship is more like a friend who's indifferent to your wishes and will feel obligated to fulfill them, if you're recognized as a willing friend as well. That is, a friend willing to play out some scheme in which you could play a role in, dependent upon whether you cooperate.

The difference is that, respect is given to you based on your ability to refuse something, because a truly superior being should be able to find a work-around that accommodates both your wishes and fulfills your applicability in a scheme anyway.

The kind of providence that I'm talking about is chance; probability manipulation.

Last edited by KillaKassara on Aug 28th, 2014 at 01:15 AM

Old Post Aug 28th, 2014 01:02 AM
KillaKassara
Restricted

Account Restricted

The reason for this indifference is that your natural urges developed into what they are based on your innate responses to the random stimuli of everyday experience - so the system that designed your innate response-patterns will do best to allow them to help shape your experiences as you serve, if you are to be of optimal use (at your best).

Humans do something best when they're most excited about doing it.

Old Post Aug 28th, 2014 01:20 AM
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Originally posted by Oneness
Ignorance isn't always bliss. You think you have it made now? Imagine nothing you can't deal with coming your way, the garantee of your success in whatever you do. It is like having the feds at your beck and call to make something you want to happen, happen.

And I can say that because my observations of providence and divination differ in many ways from those of many religions.

I believe in a naturalistic system or anomoly, such as an advanced civilization or a conscious entity (like a dog or homosapien) from a time period in which the cosmological constant has changed significantly from its current state, or perhaps a bunch of IT technicians centuries from now decide to create a simulation of a solar system and society and societal era of their specifications in order to provide real people of the era with perfect virtual memories of their specifications and the life you think your living is just for the memories.

NO! There is no original sin, because Adam was a fictional character in a fictional story. Humans who do not become Christian DO NOT GO TO HELL when they die. And Christians do not go to heaven when they die. This has nothing to do with natural disasters, unfortunate happenings or the feudal government.

There is no need for us to be saved in a spiritual sense. This is simply a threat to make people become Christians; noting more.

Old Post Aug 28th, 2014 01:24 AM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KillaKassara
Restricted

Account Restricted

Nobody needs to be saved, it would be a nice break to be important. To have an experience designed take you down a path of self-actualization as opposed to a random, chaotic one.

Old Post Aug 28th, 2014 01:49 AM
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Originally posted by Oneness
Nobody needs to be saved, it would be a nice break to be important. To have an experience designed take you down a path of self-actualization as opposed to a random, chaotic one.

When why did you say what you said to me? Wait... I forgot who I was talking to. Never mind...

Old Post Aug 28th, 2014 01:58 AM
KillaKassara
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Shakyamunison
When why did you say what you said to me? Wait... I forgot who I was talking to. Never mind...
Because I believe that refusal to create a life you were meant to live is actually worse than drowning. Worse than death.

A life of randomized mediocrity, which for me led to unavoidably miserable circumstances almost daily.

I believe that behind every religion is a series of ironic, unlikely, and coincidentally in/convenient (depending on who or what you're referring to) circumstances. This is why I treat Christianity or any other religion as an incomplete and therefore imperfect ideological representation of the real thing - in all cases due to a lack of complete scientific knowledge.

Last edited by KillaKassara on Aug 28th, 2014 at 02:17 AM

Old Post Aug 28th, 2014 02:04 AM