KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Star Wars Versus Forum » Cade Skywalker vs Kas'im

Cade Skywalker vs Kas'im
Started by: carthage

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Maybe not easily in lightsaber combat. But solidly. At Krayt's weakest he was still able to blitz 4 Imperial Knights at once. He got considerably more powerful since then, and wasn't dying anymore. All out with the Force in play, Krayt would win comfortably.

Old Post Sep 9th, 2014 11:05 AM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

quote:
Appletonia

There's a lot that you can say about the BOD, but that it was a weak order when it came to conventional Sith on Jedi warfare is not one of them.

Actually, you can say that. Remember how the academy students were stronger than most of the lords?

And very few of the members had skill in force abilities.

There were some exceptions, but that's part of what made Bane so dominant, he had what they were lacking.

Compare to Krayt, who not only has a whole range of offensive options, but has a lot of defensive powers too. He can bare-hand block force lightning, something only about a half-dozen force users ever do.

Saber ability is one of the few areas where I'd say the BoD can compete, and even then, it's not *better* than the Clone War or other eras known for their sword skill.

quote:

And also, where your argument for Krayt seems to be based almost entirely on his relative position within his order/era, the argument for Kas'im is based largely on absolute feats, so the order that he was a part of is mostly irrelevant.

Krayt's relative position is based on both absolute feats and feats in comparison to people with their own absolute feats. And heck, we're talking Cade here in the versus itself- Cade has multiple huge absolutely feats.

Saber skill, btw, largely does have to be done by relative-to-each-other. There's no objective judgement of skill, just comparisons to others.

Force, you can look at who's-thrown-bigger-with-TK and such, or 'who can do this particular thing at all,' but sabers is largely a matter of who you're fighting (for individuals), or how many you're fighting.

And do you think relative position doesn't matter when the reference points include Obi-Wan Kenobi, Luke Skywalker, Cade Skywalker, etc.?

quote:

The point is that Kas'im is many scales of awesome above Krayt.

Not by feats he's not.

Old Post Sep 9th, 2014 11:09 AM
Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
appletonia
major studmuffin

He may have gotten more powerful but he no longer had the advantages of the vonduun crab armor (pretty much orbalisk lite), so I'd argue Reborn Krayt was no longer as deadly a lightsaber duelist as he had been earlier.

And you really can't prove that he blitzed them at once, the comic book panels are open to interpretation on the exact manner in which he defeated them. It's strongly indicated that he did so pretty quickly and viciously, but I don't think we can just start throwing the word blitz around when there's no real proof that that's actually what occurred.

Let's also remember that these were basically 4 no-name Knights. Bane was able to blitz someone who was actually notably powerful in Sirak with laughable ease at a time long before his duel with Kas'im. In fact, around the time that he blitzed Sirak, Kas'im was able to physically outwork him in their sparring sessions.

You seem to be ignoring the massive technical disparity between the two, coupled with the fact that Kas'im is actually a very powerful Force User himself.

As I said, I can see scenarios where Krayt might be able to overwhelm him with the Force, or land a hand on him and kill him that way, and hell, maybe 1 in 10 times he'd win the saber duel. But I can also easily envision a scenario where Kas'im defend against his Force attacks and comfortably defeats him in a lightsaber battle

27/01/16 - DarthAnt66 - 91 days

Old Post Sep 9th, 2014 11:17 AM
Click here to Send appletonia a Private Message Find more posts by appletonia Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
appletonia
major studmuffin

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Q99
Actually, you can say that. Remember how the academy students were stronger than most of the lords?

If you take a pessimistic Sith Lord speaking in a moment of passion fully at his word, and besides, the point was that the academy students were students in name only. It's made very clear that the students were extremely well trained warriors.

quote:
And very few of the members had skill in force abilities.

There were some exceptions, but that's part of what made Bane so dominant, he had what they were lacking.

I don't know how you can be all that sure of this. For the most part we don't really see how good or bad they are with darkside abilities, it's not really all that heavily explored.

quote:
Compare to Krayt, who not only has a whole range of offensive options, but has a lot of defensive powers too. He can bare-hand block force lightning, something only about a half-dozen force users ever do.

I think sources differ on how special this really is. In the Bane books you have people like Farfalla (who's very powerful but hardly a titan) using a basic Force Shield to block lightning. Bane, mere days after his duel with Kas'im, absorbs Force Lightning through multiple areas of his body during the ritual on Ruusan, including his back and head.

quote:
Saber ability is one of the few areas where I'd say the BoD can compete, and even then, it's not *better* than the Clone War or other eras known for their sword skill.

Well it's good that we can at least agree on that, though I will say that I see no reason to think that the CW era can compete. It's made pretty clear that the emphasis of that order was not on Jedi/Sith warfare.

quote:
Krayt's relative position is based on both absolute feats and feats in comparison to people with their own absolute feats.

Sure but you can keep on teacing those absolute feats through the relative series and nothing ever approaches Kas'im's command of the lightsaber.

quote:
And heck, we're talking Cade here in the versus itself- Cade has multiple huge absolutely feats.

Nothing on Kas'im's level.

quote:
Saber skill, btw, largely does have to be done by relative-to-each-other. There's no objective judgement of skill, just comparisons to others.

The extent to which you master a form is something that can be judged on its own terms. You could of course also start arguing that the BOD had lower standards for "mastering" something, but absoltuely nothing suggests that (all available evidence would suggest the opposite).

quote:
Force, you can look at who's-thrown-bigger-with-TK and such, or 'who can do this particular thing at all,' but sabers is largely a matter of who you're fighting (for individuals), or how many you're fighting.

And do you think relative position doesn't matter when the reference points include Obi-Wan Kenobi, Luke Skywalker, Cade Skywalker, etc.?

Obi-Wan Kenobi destroyed him when they fought. I know it was a long time ago, but I don't think you can guage much out of that fight. I haven't read the FOTJ series but it seems to be the case that Luke did the majority of the work in the fight against Abeloth, and that there was no real comparison made between them in lightsaber ability. Cade is hardly the most well trained or experienced of Skywalkers, and has done little to impress me. I certainly wouldn't put him anywhere near POD Bane.

Last edited by appletonia on Sep 9th, 2014 at 11:36 AM

Old Post Sep 9th, 2014 11:34 AM
Click here to Send appletonia a Private Message Find more posts by appletonia Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
psmith81992
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote:
Really? Because once he becomes Krayt he never loses a saber fight, he at least holds some edge against everyone he fights. He's also been involved in much more fights. I mean, Kas'im is good, but Krayt's record is really quite impressive itself.

Who of note did he defeat exactly? Compare that to Kas'im who defeated Bane and actually, never lost a saber battle either.

There'll be a golden ladder reaching down.
When the man comes around.

Old Post Sep 9th, 2014 11:41 AM
Click here to Send psmith81992 a Private Message Find more posts by psmith81992 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by appletonia
He may have gotten more powerful but he no longer had the advantages of the vonduun crab armor (pretty much orbalisk lite), so I'd argue Reborn Krayt was no longer as deadly a lightsaber duelist as he had been earlier.

Except the Vong armor crippled and was killing him. Sure it was good for protection, but it was weakening him overall. Without it affecting his health and with his increased power, I can't see why he wouldn't be a more effective swordsman. Defensively weaker, yes, but offensively he would be quicker and more physically powerful.

And you really can't prove that he blitzed them at once, the comic book panels are open to interpretation on the exact manner in which he defeated them. It's strongly indicated that he did so pretty quickly and viciously, but I don't think we can just start throwing the word blitz around when there's no real proof that that's actually what occurred.

I'm finding it hard to find the exact panel, but as I recall it looked like he killed them in either a few swings or instantly. Either way, it looked to have occurred just as fast as Sidious' blitz in RotS.

Let's also remember that these were basically 4 no-name Knights. Bane was able to blitz someone who was actually notably powerful in Sirak with laughable ease at a time long before his duel with Kas'im. In fact, around the time that he blitzed Sirak, Kas'im was able to physically outwork him in their sparring sessions.

They weren't no-name Knights, they were the bodyguards for the Emperor. And any Imperial Knight is highly trained as if they were a Jedi Master.

You seem to be ignoring the massive technical disparity between the two, coupled with the fact that Kas'im is actually a very powerful Force User himself.

As I said, I can see scenarios where Krayt might be able to overwhelm him with the Force, or land a hand on him and kill him that way, and hell, maybe 1 in 10 times he'd win the saber duel. But I can also easily envision a scenario where Kas'im defend against his Force attacks and comfortably defeats him in a lightsaber battle

Except Krayt is much more powerful than Kas'im. And Bane was defeating Kas'im through simply being more powerful, not more technically skilled. Kas'im won't be able to keep up with Krayts raw power and speed.

Krayt and Cade utterly outclass Kas'im as a Force User though. Cade blocked an explosion that leveled an Imperial Base while at the heart of it. Before his prime. Krayt was so powerful he made Jacen shit his britches and fought Abeloth side by side with Luke who considered him a possible rival for the Throne of Balance.

Old Post Sep 9th, 2014 11:46 AM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
appletonia
major studmuffin

Originally posted by Nephthys
[B]Except the Vong armor crippled and was killing him. Sure it was good for protection, but it was weakening him overall. Without it affecting his health and with his increased power, I can't see why he wouldn't be a more effective swordsman. Defensively weaker, yes, but offensively he would be quicker and more physically powerful.

I still say it's arguable. Sure, becoming more powerful is going to make him stronger and faster etc. but having lightsaber resistant armor is an absolutely massive advantage. It's a huge defensive advantage that translates into an offensive advantage; just look at how much more Bane for example can open up his offense when he doesn't have to worry about protecting himself as much, and he can do thigns like parry with an arm and then strike with a saber, or even openly grapple people in a way you wouldn't be able to if you were vulnerable.

quote:
I'm finding it hard to find the exact panel, but as I recall it looked like he killed them in either a few swings or instantly. Either way, it looked to have occurred just as fast as Sidious' blitz in RotS.

I don't have them right now but I did the last time I was arguing this and it was definitely a little vague and open to interpretation. It's entirely possible he just walked through their attacks (due to the armor) and simply overwhelmed them physically.

quote:
They weren't no-name Knights, they were the bodyguards for the Emperor. And any Imperial Knight is highly trained as if they were a Jedi Master.

Still hardly notable. Nothing compared to Sirak, who was thought by some to be a candidate for the Sith'ari, and head and shoulders above the rest of the academy (aside from Bane), who were soon afterwards declared to be master level.

quote:
Except Krayt is much more powerful than Kas'im.

So was Bane.

quote:
And Bane was defeating Kas'im through simply being more powerful, not more technically skilled. Kas'im won't be able to keep up with Krayts raw power and speed.

It was through superior power but also because he'd perfectly memorised all of Kas'im's moves and knew them as well as he knew his own. Krayt's not going to have that advantage.

And I don't think you can equate Bane's physical advantage to Krayt's. Even among the truly most powerful Force Users ever, Bane is notably fast and an absolute giant.

quote:
Krayt and Cade utterly outclass Kas'im as a Force User though. Cade blocked an explosion that leveled an Imperial Base while at the heart of it. Before his prime. Krayt was so powerful he made Jacen shit his britches and fought Abeloth side by side with Luke who considered him a possible rival for the Throne of Balance.

Cade really doesn't. It's not exactly like Kas'im is lacking in feats of great defensive application of the Force.

Last edited by appletonia on Sep 9th, 2014 at 12:03 PM

Old Post Sep 9th, 2014 12:01 PM
Q99

quote:

(please log in to view the image)

He swung both his sabers at the same time, and three knights fell.

Morghan took two swings- one to disarm, one to impale.

And the scene was shown twice, the other time just in one panel with the same thing happening while Morghan was ordering 'protector your emperor!'.

There's some cases when comic panels are open to interpretation, where stuff seems to happen between panels, but not so much in this one. They died fast, and except for Morghan don't get a chance to do anything.

Originally posted by psmith81992
Who of note did he defeat exactly? Compare that to Kas'im who defeated Bane and actually, never lost a saber battle either.

Cade Skywalker twice- even the final encounter, Cade only got a shot on him because Krayt chose to show him a vision and bring him through death rather than simply kill him.

Darth Wyyrlok, who in turned killed the legendary sith Darth Andeddu, and killed the darkside members of his malevolence cult.

Morghan Fel, the Emperor's cousin and chief of his bodyguard, as well as three other Imperial Knights, who attacked him from all sides. Imperial Knights stay in training a lot longer than Jedi and only get the title when they reach master level- we've in fact seen two junior full Knights perform at master level (Marasiah Fel, Jao Assim), so it's not just talk either. There's a reason why the order's size caps at around 60 or so. The original plan was for the four knights to fight their way out from an entire room full of sith.

Abeloth, one of the most powerful force entities of all time, who he tag-teamed with Luke Skywalker.

A ship full of Yuuzhan Vong, while unarmed.

There was also the time when he beat up Anakin Skywalker with a gaffi stick...

Aurra Sing, bounty hunter and killer of multiple Jedi masters (she once faced Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan at the same time and almost killed Qui-Gon were it not for Kenobi providing a distraction. She then kicked both of them and escaped).

Oh, I'm sure I'm probably forgetting something, but, you know, just this and that across the years ^^

quote:
Appletonia

Cade really doesn't. It's not exactly like Kas'im is lacking in feats of great defensive application of the Force.

They still aren't as big as being utterly unharmed at the center of a giant explosion from a self-destructing base!

Cade's also thrown a space-ship as a weapon, and he out-forces Talon who in turn shows quite powerful TK by normal standards.

Kas'im has good feats. He's one of the stand-outs of his time. They are still not as good.

Last edited by Q99 on Sep 9th, 2014 at 12:22 PM

Old Post Sep 9th, 2014 12:17 PM
Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
appletonia
major studmuffin

Do you have the scans for the other depiction of the fight?

When a comicbook's involved, it's pretty much always open to interpretation. There's really no way of proving that he struck down all three simultaneously. The manner in which the background disappears creates much more of a stylized (rather than literal) depiction of the battle making the passage of time and specific engagements of the battle far less discernible. I already said that it makes it look very quick and ferocious, but saying much more than that is blatantly reaching.

quote:
He swung both his sabers at the same time, and three knights died.

Even if that was your interpretation, it doesn't mean he neccessarily blitzed them. The Knights may have landed hits on his back, in which case they would have been ineffectual and left the knights open to a swift counterattack. He may have just tore through their defences with sheer strength. He may have landed a few very well placed or timed shots, or there may have even been very brief exchanges. Or he may have even overwhelmed them with speed, but that doesn't necessarily entail blitz worthy speed.

quote:
They still aren't as big as being utterly unharmed at the center of a giant explosion from a self-destructing base!

It's not like Cade's having to protect himself from the entire volume of the explosion, just like Kas'im isn't having to protect himself from the entire temple destroying Force Wave. It's only the portion that approximately encompasses their body, so I'd argue that Kas'im's feat is superior.

Young inexperienced Skywalkers being able to unconsciously tap into great reserves of power that they don't usually have access to is also a pretty common theme. A young, untrained Zannah was able to defend herself and an entire colony of Bouncers from something far more destructive, but I wouldn't argue she can access that power whenever she wants. Is this Cade's regular level of power?

At best, I think you can argue that Cade's marginally more powerful than Kas'im, not vastly like Krayt might be. And of course, most importantly, the difference in technical ability with a lightsaber between the two is absolutely colossal.

27/01/16 - DarthAnt66 - 91 days

Last edited by appletonia on Sep 9th, 2014 at 12:54 PM

Old Post Sep 9th, 2014 12:52 PM