KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Star Wars Versus Forum » Exar Kun vs Darth Krayt

Exar Kun vs Darth Krayt
Started by: NewGuy01

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « 1 [2] 3 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
appletonia
major studmuffin

Exar Kun has invented his own form of lightsaber combat, drained millions of beings at once, frozen thousands of beings in place at once, and has perhaps the most destructive short range attack there is in terms of physical damage, and even his spirit was able to tear a post DE Luke's spirit out of his body, and substantially aid Kyp Durron in lifting the Sun Crusher, not to mention numerous other feats. Krayt does not have a comparable resume, and does not truly stand out in the grand scheme of things in multiple areas like Exar does.

27/01/16 - DarthAnt66 - 91 days

Last edited by appletonia on Sep 18th, 2014 at 06:52 PM

Old Post Sep 18th, 2014 06:49 PM
Click here to Send appletonia a Private Message Find more posts by appletonia Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The_Tempest

quote: (post)
Originally posted by appletonia
Exar Kun has invented his own form of lightsaber combat,

So did Mace Windu. Somehow I doubt you find him particularly impressive.

drained millions of beings at once,

OT-era Sidious leeched the life essence of mbillions of people at once. Somehow I doubt you find him particularly impressive.

Also, can I get the source for the number of persons drained by Kun and whether or not this feat was achieved unaided?

frozen thousands of beings in place at once, and has perhaps the most destructive short range attack there is in terms of physical damage, and even his spirit was able to tear a post DE Luke's spirit out of his body,

Is there any proof that Kun's spirit is drastically weaker than his physical incarnation?

and substantially aid Kyp Durron in lifting the Sun Crusher,

IIRC, he and Durron manipulate the Sun Crusher into resurrecting itself through the gas giant.

not to mention numerous other feats. Krayt does not have a comparable resume, and does not truly stand out in the grand scheme of things in multiple areas like Exar does.

I think you overestimate Kun drastically and underestimate Krayt on an equal level.

Old Post Sep 18th, 2014 07:07 PM
Click here to Send The_Tempest a Private Message Find more posts by The_Tempest Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
carthage
PLEASE PROTECT ME STONES

Kuns Massassii feat was achieved in a ritual in the Yavin temple

"Happiness is a lie. Life is horror. The light is always dying all across the universe. The last star will flicker out someday, when it does, all that remains is shadow. And I will be its king!"'-Amahl Farouk

Old Post Sep 18th, 2014 07:15 PM
Click here to Send carthage a Private Message Find more posts by carthage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The_Tempest

You mean the temples specifically designed to focus and augment one's energies for such an epic use of the Force?

Old Post Sep 18th, 2014 07:57 PM
Click here to Send The_Tempest a Private Message Find more posts by The_Tempest Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
carthage
PLEASE PROTECT ME STONES

The amulets focused Kun's power in the blast, and yeah the temple likely augmented its power too.

Granted, the Audiobook gave a different picture when he blew up Nadd's ghost.

"Happiness is a lie. Life is horror. The light is always dying all across the universe. The last star will flicker out someday, when it does, all that remains is shadow. And I will be its king!"'-Amahl Farouk

Old Post Sep 18th, 2014 08:01 PM
Click here to Send carthage a Private Message Find more posts by carthage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
appletonia
major studmuffin

in a ritual =/= the product of a ritual

It's made explicitly clear that Exar Kun drained the Massassi to provide the energy to power the temple's various devices. The product of the ritual was to shed his body of its spirit; this was achieved by funneling energy from the Massassi into the temple's focusing crystals.

Old Post Sep 18th, 2014 08:03 PM
Click here to Send appletonia a Private Message Find more posts by appletonia Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The_Tempest

in a ritual =/= the product of a ritual

It's made explicitly clear that Exar Kun drained the Massassi to provide the energy to power the temple's various devices. The product of the ritual was to shed his body of its spirit; this was achieved by funneling energy from the Massassi into the temple's focusing crystals.

Is there evidence to support the notion that he could replicate such a feat at his leisure without the presence of Massassi temples and/or dark side amulets?

Old Post Sep 18th, 2014 08:05 PM
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

If he could have done that at any point, shouldn't he have drained all the senators on Coruscant and started Godzilla'ing the planet? I mean, if he had draining on that magnitude, why did he need the Dark Reaper?

Old Post Sep 18th, 2014 08:08 PM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
appletonia
major studmuffin

Originally posted by The_Tempest
Is there evidence to support the notion that he could replicate such a feat at his leisure without the presence of Massassi temples

Yes. The fact that he did it at all, and the lack of evidence that would suggest the temple specifically aided him.

quote:
and/or dark side amulets?

I don't recall this thread banning Exar from using items he has regular access to.

Old Post Sep 18th, 2014 08:09 PM
carthage
PLEASE PROTECT ME STONES

Originally posted by Nephthys
If he could have done that at any point, shouldn't he have drained all the senators on Coruscant and started Godzilla'ing the planet? I mean, if he had draining on that magnitude, why did he need the Dark Reaper?

thumb up

Old Post Sep 18th, 2014 08:12 PM
appletonia
major studmuffin

Originally posted by Nephthys
If he could have done that at any point, shouldn't he have drained all the senators on Coruscant and started Godzilla'ing the planet?

PIS/no true need/reason to. He was there to simply rescue Ulic as far as I can recall.

quote:
I mean, if he had draining on that magnitude, why did he need the Dark Reaper?

Perhaps the Dark Reaper operated on an even greater scale? Or the convenience of having something that could be used to pull off such a feat without draining him of his reserves? Or for his darkside enforcers to utilise?

Old Post Sep 18th, 2014 08:12 PM
carthage
PLEASE PROTECT ME STONES

It isn't PIS when he was applying it on a ritual. He could apply it combat but we have no feats to suggest how powerful it would be.

Old Post Sep 18th, 2014 08:13 PM
NewGuy01
perpetual

Not to mention that the Masassi were *willingly* drained.

Old Post Sep 18th, 2014 08:15 PM
Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
carthage
PLEASE PROTECT ME STONES

That certainly helped!

Old Post Sep 18th, 2014 08:16 PM
The_Tempest

Yes. The fact that he did it at all, and the lack of evidence that would suggest the temple specifically aided him.

The fact that the feat was performed in the presence of architecture designed to harness and focus such energies means we cannot assume he's capable of replicating it unaided, especially for reasons Neph has provided. There's more to suggest he can't than he can and I'm not feeling particularly generous bro.

I don't recall this thread banning Exar from using items he has regular access to.

I didn't say he was banned from using such items, I'm just pointing out that feats performed from their use cannot be attributable to his natural power.

Old Post Sep 18th, 2014 08:17 PM
appletonia
major studmuffin

So? All that means is that they weren't actively resisting the drain. It's the scale of the feat that's impressive. Would you consider levitating a million non-Force Sensitives at once unimpressive because they weren't able to defend against it?

Old Post Sep 18th, 2014 08:17 PM
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

PIS/no true need/reason to. He was there to simply rescue Ulic as far as I can recall.

With that much power he could have wiped out the Jedi Temple most likely.

Perhaps the Dark Reaper operated on an even greater scale? Or the convenience of having something that could be used to pull off such a feat without draining him of his reserves? Or for his darkside enforcers to utilise?

I don't recall the DR draining millions of people at once. The fact is that if he had draining abilities on that scale he would have actually used them himself, outside of a ritual context.

Old Post Sep 18th, 2014 08:18 PM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
appletonia
major studmuffin

Originally posted by The_Tempest
[B]The fact that the feat was performed in the presence of architecture designed to harness and focus such energies means we cannot assume he's capable of replicating it unaided, especially for reasons Neph has provided. There's more to suggest he can't than he can and I'm not feeling particularly generous bro.

Where are you getting this from? The comic shows us the various devices around the temple and makes it clear that he needed to power them before they would be of use. You can't just assume that there were extra devices beyond the ones that we were shown.

quote:
I didn't say he was banned from using such items, I'm just pointing out that feats performed from their use cannot be attributable to his natural power.

Was not debating his natural power bro.

Old Post Sep 18th, 2014 08:22 PM
carthage
PLEASE PROTECT ME STONES

Kun doesn't have Krayt's speed, doesn't have an answer to dark transfer, and Krayt's drain would take a nice chunk out of him like it did to Abeloth.

Even if we assume Kun's blasts are at full strength or even partial (like when he blew Nadd up), Krayt is certainly fast enough to dodge them.

Old Post Sep 18th, 2014 08:22 PM
The_Tempest

So? All that means is that they weren't actively resisting the drain. It's the scale of the feat that's impressive. Would you consider levitating a million non-Force Sensitives at once unimpressive because they weren't able to defend against it?

The feat is considerably less impressive when Kun was performing it in "temples of an ancient Sith design to focus great dark side energies." Until there evidence is offered that Kun could replicate the feat without such a favorable environment or preparation, I see no reason to assume he could. Sorry bro. erm

Old Post Sep 18th, 2014 08:23 PM