KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Versus' Forum » Useless team member cut

Useless team member cut
Started by: riv6672

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (12): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
wuleecat

quote: (post)
Originally posted by riv6672
Bold choice on Reed. Good one, though.
To be fair, even he doesnt consider his power his main contribution to the team.

Agreed, it's not as if when Thanos is going beserk with the Infinity Gauntlet everyone immediately shouts for help from the nearest guy with the ability to fetch things off the highest shelf. Everyone wants the big brain.

It's just his rubberiness has been virtually written out of any relevance. It's the power which is useless, not the guy. It would be like Charles Xavier having the power to grow his fingernails really, really long very quickly. Yeah, and...?

Oh and I agree about Wasp. Rubbish. It's made worse when in big melee battles they have Thor wailing away on Ultron with his hammer and Tony hosing him down with repulsor blasts. Then they cut to a panel where Janet 'brings on the pain' with those absurd stings, like she's some kind of pivotal part of the battle. Either that, or she's endlessly coming out with her 'quips' about fashion or somesuch nonsense.

Old Post Sep 30th, 2014 12:29 AM
wuleecat is currently offline Click here to Send wuleecat a Private Message Find more posts by wuleecat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
wuleecat

JSA - Doctor Mid-Nite. He can see in the dark, and he's good at healing people. Oh and he knows a bit of judo. Membership revoked!
I think he's quite a good character, personality-wise, and his costume is quite cool. And I know he's smart. It's just in most cases I don't think he really pulls his weight in a fight.

Old Post Sep 30th, 2014 12:35 AM
wuleecat is currently offline Click here to Send wuleecat a Private Message Find more posts by wuleecat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Fair enough.
In the end, that really applies to 90% of street levelers on teams.

Old Post Sep 30th, 2014 06:45 AM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruhMan
World Champion

Re: Re: Useless team member cut

Originally posted by DarkSaint85
[QUOTE=14907193]Originally posted by riv6672
[B]

Avengers-Spiderman.

Lol seriously? In a team that consists of the likes of the Wasp, the falcon and hawkeye?

Old Post Sep 30th, 2014 02:51 PM
BruhMan is currently offline Click here to Send BruhMan a Private Message Find more posts by BruhMan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruhMan
World Champion

Originally posted by basilisk
Sue has the most power and with no prep could solo the rest of the team, and the whole PMS aspect of her modern personality makes her a dangerous opponent.

The PMS-force is not to be messed with. It should really have a name, because when Sue is angry she really just gets to do whatever the hell she wants.

Old Post Sep 30th, 2014 02:54 PM
BruhMan is currently offline Click here to Send BruhMan a Private Message Find more posts by BruhMan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SamZED

Avengers - Thor
JLA - Superman
The FF - Reed Richards

Come at me.

Azula: My mommy didn't love me so I'm going to burn down your village.

Old Post Sep 30th, 2014 02:54 PM
SamZED is currently offline Click here to Send SamZED a Private Message Find more posts by SamZED Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarkSaint85

Re: Re: Re: Useless team member cut

Originally posted by JayDaDon
Lol seriously? In a team that consists of the likes of the Wasp, the falcon and hawkeye?

Yup.

Falcon has his SHIELD connections, plus military training. Plus, him and Wasp....bring the quotas up.

Hawkeye has his accuracy (hear me out!)

Spiderman has....technical smarts. But not as high as Tony/Noh-Varr.
Strength. But not as high as a Thor or Hyperion.
Speed/agility. But not as high as the others.
Fighting skills. But no Shang/Iron Fist/Wolverine. Plus, he holds back a lot.
No connections. He's a loner.
Is unpopular and brings negative press, thanks to the Bugle.

I guess his saving graces are that he's humorous, but Hawkeye brings that already.
Perhaps his Spidersense?

What does he bring to the table? At least Spiderwoman has spider powers, plus her pheremones.

Old Post Sep 30th, 2014 03:06 PM
DarkSaint85 is currently offline Click here to Send DarkSaint85 a Private Message Find more posts by DarkSaint85 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruhMan
World Champion

Spider-Man is more often the guy who sees what escapes the mind of someone like stark. The avengers have never solely relied on him as their sole genius as it wouldnt be very smart. Petes smarts have been what saved the day for the avengers over Tony's before because hes a fresh perspective, a genius one. Also who cares about falcons shield connections when captain america is on your team? IMO the TRUE spidey rarely shines on the avengers but when he does, you get moments like what happened in big time and at the ends of the earth.

Old Post Sep 30th, 2014 03:32 PM
DarkSaint85

Hence why I added, quotas. Which, sad as it may sounds IS the reason those guys/girls are on the team.

Old Post Sep 30th, 2014 03:34 PM
DarkSaint85 is currently offline Click here to Send DarkSaint85 a Private Message Find more posts by DarkSaint85 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

I'm not sure why Reed is the one to boot from the FF. His stretching power was pretty much always secondary to his main contribution: his genius, his prep, his inventions. An FF w/o this is just brute force.

The Torch, otoh, has often been the impulse-driven hothead, the one to fly first into battle, usually to get his flame doused or suffocated, wherein he has to get rescued by his teammates.

Just curious.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Sep 30th, 2014 03:53 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SamZED

[QUOTE=14907193]Originally posted by riv6672
[B]

Avengers-Spiderman.
I will destroy you and devour your soul!

Kidding aside, I disagree. He doesn't have to be "The" at everything in order to be more useful to the team than Hawkeye, Wasp etc.

Web-shooters are easily one of the most effective devices when it comes to saving random civilians once a super villain fight breaks out. Stopping falling derbies, explosions, supporting crumbling and collapsing buildings etc.
Spider sense is basically magic and can be useful in various situations. Like defusing a time bomb that is about to go off relying solely on ss which is much faster than figuring out how it works and which wire to pull. Or as a warning of incoming danger.
Strength agreed. Although class 20 pressure point assault on an opponent could be pretty useful at times.
Speed/agility he's arguably the quickest street leveler on the team combat-wise.
And Pete may not be as smart as IM but Tony can't be everywhere at once, and Pete can easily fill in for him if the team needs a genius and Stark is not around/koed/stranded in a negative zone/saving someone Else etc.
Also never underestimate the heart factor and quick thinking heh.

To sum up even though he's not the best at everything statistically there's a much bigger chance that he'll be more useful in some particular situations because of the wide range of skills and abilities. At the same time I have a hard time imagining many scenarios where the team goes "We can't do this! Somebody get Hawkeye here ASAP!"

Azula: My mommy didn't love me so I'm going to burn down your village.

Last edited by SamZED on Sep 30th, 2014 at 03:59 PM

Old Post Sep 30th, 2014 03:56 PM
SamZED is currently offline Click here to Send SamZED a Private Message Find more posts by SamZED Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarkSaint85

Re: Re: Re: Useless team member cut

Originally posted by SamZED
[BAt the same time I have a hard time imagining many scenarios where the team goes "We can't do this! Somebody get Hawkeye here ASAP!" [/B]

What If? Spiderman went rogue

Old Post Sep 30th, 2014 03:58 PM
Digi
Forum Leader

If Pete went rogue, a lot of Avengers would be in trouble. Not all, of course, but several outside his supposed power level.

Sam defended the webhead well, so I need not say more.

Originally posted by wuleecat
JSA - Doctor Mid-Nite. He can see in the dark, and he's good at healing people. Oh and he knows a bit of judo. Membership revoked!
I think he's quite a good character, personality-wise, and his costume is quite cool. And I know he's smart. It's just in most cases I don't think he really pulls his weight in a fight.

His skills as a doctor more than make up for this. This is a terrible pick for most useless, imo. There are several on the JSA I'd pick over him.

Last edited by Digi on Sep 30th, 2014 at 04:05 PM

Old Post Sep 30th, 2014 04:03 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruhMan
World Champion

Hence why I added, quotas. Which, sad as it may sounds IS the reason those guys/girls are on the team.

So basically, they arent nearly as useful to the team as Spider-Man..

Old Post Sep 30th, 2014 04:52 PM
BruhMan
World Champion

Also Tony may be a genius but Spidey is a genius of a completely different field; Chemistry. Sure their genius overlaps in alot of places but Thats another thing he adds to the team.

Old Post Sep 30th, 2014 04:53 PM
shadowknight

JLA-Depending on the Lineup and what era in the JLA-is a 5 way tie between GA, Black Canary, Plastic Man, Elongated man, Blue Beetle. Basically MM Can duplicate anything E-M or P-M can do, Batman can duplicate or is better at anything GA, BC or BB can do.

Defenders-without a doubt it's Hellcat

Avengers- Depending on the lineup there's too many to list but the most obvious ones are Hawkeye, Mockingbird, D-Man, Moon Knight, Stingray, Falcon Tigra and Wasp

JSA-without a doubt is Mr America and his whip and Dr Midnite.

FF-is toughb to chose because I don't think there's any useless members. But the most easily replaced Is Thing. She Hulk, Power Man. She Thing and IIRC Black Goliath have filled in for the Thing. To tell the truth Mr Fantastic can and has already created a exoskeleton version of the Thing and the Mad thinker has created a robot version of him also.

Last edited by shadowknight on Sep 30th, 2014 at 05:06 PM

Old Post Sep 30th, 2014 04:57 PM
shadowknight is currently offline Click here to Send shadowknight a Private Message Find more posts by shadowknight Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Don't diss mah boy Moon Knight. Dude's legit.

Elongated Man's a good choice. Plastic Man isn't, though, imo, because of how he uses his powers. Based on power set alone, I'd agree he's not the most useful. But in practice, he tends to pull his weight.

Old Post Sep 30th, 2014 05:03 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
shadowknight

JLA-Depending on the Lineup and what era in the JLA-is a 5 way tie between GA, Black Canary, Plastic Man, Elongated man, Blue Beetle. Basically MM Can duplicate anything E-M or P-M can do, Batman can duplicate or is better at anything GA, BC or BB can do.

Defenders-without a doubt it's Hellcat

Avengers- Depending on the lineup there's too many to list but the most obvious ones are Hawkeye, Mockingbird, D-Man, Moon Knight, Stingray, Falcon Tigra and Wasp

FF-is tough to chose because I don't think there's any useless members. But the most easily replaced Is Thing. She Hulk, Power Man, She Thing and IIRC Black Goliath have filled in for the Thing. To tell the truth Mr Fantastic can and has already created a exoskeleton version of the Thing and the Mad thinker has created a robot version of him also.

Old Post Sep 30th, 2014 05:09 PM
shadowknight is currently offline Click here to Send shadowknight a Private Message Find more posts by shadowknight Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

Originally posted by Digi
If Pete went rogue, a lot of Avengers would be in trouble. Not all, of course, but several outside his supposed power level.

He'd punk suckers until Hawkeye steps up and slaps some sense into his webhead.

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Sep 30th, 2014 05:23 PM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by Bentley
He'd punk suckers until Hawkeye steps up and slaps some sense into his webhead.

I'm laughing at how thoroughly he'd wreck Clint if he had both time to prepare and wasn't in "hero holding back" mode. Not that he'd need either to win, of course, but Barton only stands a chance if we grant him all kinds of obscure trick arrows and lopsided prep on his side.

Originally posted by shadowknight

Agreed entirely with America. That stupid whip...

As earlier with another, I strongly disagree with Midnight. His medical expertise is a huge boon to the team, especially as it pertains to metahuman physiology.

Old Post Sep 30th, 2014 05:55 PM