KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Tempest's Official Primer on Sidious > Maul&Savage

Tempest's Official Primer on Sidious > Maul&Savage
Started by: The_Tempest

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (11): « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 11 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
ILS
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by The_Tempest
Where I still find myself disagreeing is the idea that Sheev had to fight observably harder to maintain his edge. I didn't see any change in disposition or demeanor until after Maul landed that kick. When Sidious lands, you see him scowl before he makes that final charge and then he overcomes Maul with sheer strength.
Like I said; he seems to be enjoying himself less and employing more impressive and focused swordplay than he was earlier. Which makes sense because Maul was coming at him harder in every category of swordplay due to his Force Rage.
quote:
Once Maul landed that kick, Sidious was irritated and proceeded to take Maul down pretty quickly. That seems more aligned with Filoni's commentary that Maul and Savage can't even compete with Sheev.
Not disputing that neither of them can compete, I'm more or less saying Maul (at his absolute best) held out for a little while against arguably the best duelist in the mythos and even landed a nice little kick before being put in his place.

“The galaxy must experience the pain of death and the rapture of rebirth as I have. I will bring chaos. It is time for war.

Old Post Jul 11th, 2015 02:39 PM
Click here to Send ILS a Private Message Find more posts by ILS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The_Tempest

Well sure Maul held his own. But the question becomes is that more attributable to Maul's own prowess or Sidious's restraint? Because the website does confirm that Sheev "toyed with Maul" and Filoni himself implies that lightsabers were superfluous when Sheev decides to just batter the hell out of Maul with TK.

Ultimately I think if Sheev felt he was legitimately pressed in a lightsaber duel, he would use all the advantages at his disposal that he could, like the Force {unless he couldn't use them}.

Old Post Jul 11th, 2015 02:48 PM
Click here to Send The_Tempest a Private Message Find more posts by The_Tempest Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ILS
Restricted

Account Restricted

Well sure Maul held his own. But the question becomes is that more attributable to Maul's own prowess or Sidious's restraint? Because the website does confirm that Sheev "toyed with Maul" and Filoni himself implies that lightsabers were superfluous when Sheev decides to just batter the hell out of Maul with TK.
I'd say both; Maul's Force Rage put his physical abilities to a whole new level, while Sidious wasn't abusing all of his strength and speed, allowing them to compete more based on skill than overall fighting ability. If it was regular Maul against fully serious Sheev, it'd be a very quick fight because of the horrendous gap in physicals. I'm just suggesting the skill gap is comparatively much smaller.

What quote are you referring to for toying, btw? I want to make sure it necessarily refers to the end of the duel as well.

“The galaxy must experience the pain of death and the rapture of rebirth as I have. I will bring chaos. It is time for war.

Old Post Jul 11th, 2015 03:00 PM
Click here to Send ILS a Private Message Find more posts by ILS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

I have no problem with a Raging Maul doing pretty well against Sidious and managing to somewhat keep up with him. Dooku is fast enough and good enough to compete with Yoda for a few dozen seconds in sabers, so it makes sense for a really pissed off Maul to be capable of doing the same with Sidious. But Sidious clearly dominated the fight up to the final clash and "never wavered from his position of superiority". Maul managed that one kick and then Sidious shut him down and that's still pretty impressive.

I think what ILS is saying is that Maul didn't press Sidious, he merely kept up with him. Which I agree with.

Old Post Jul 11th, 2015 03:02 PM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The_Tempest

Neph, ILS and I are having a mature discussion and we don't have time for your Sidious-hating sheevnanigans.

btw isn't keeping up w/ someone kinda like competing w/ them?

Old Post Jul 11th, 2015 03:04 PM
Click here to Send The_Tempest a Private Message Find more posts by The_Tempest Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ILS
Restricted

Account Restricted

Pretty much.

Edit; Lol. No sheevnanigans pls.

double edit (someone tell me how to red text too); keeping up doesn't necessarily mean there's a chance of victory, to me, e.g a horse that's clearly going to come second but is still pretty close to the one in front.

Old Post Jul 11th, 2015 03:04 PM
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Neph, ILS and I are having a mature discussion and we don't have time for your Sidious-hating sheevnanigans.

btw isn't keeping up w/ someone kinda like competing w/ them?

Doesn't "competing" imply there's a chance of winning?

My point of comparison is Dooku vs Yoda. If you think Dooku competed with Yoda, then that's what Maul did. Personally I'd say it's more that they were good enough that it was an actual fight. I don't think Sidious was toying with Maul in the final clash, but he wasn't pressed either. Maul was keeping up in every sense of the word, it took everything he had to reach the point of fighting Sidious in a legit manner, while Sidious didn't have to push himself at all.

Old Post Jul 11th, 2015 03:08 PM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The_Tempest

Originally posted by Nephthys
Doesn't "competing" imply there's a chance of winning?

Well yeah, but when you're keeping up with someone, you do have a chance of winning. Unless the person with whom you're keeping up isn't giving all his effort.

Old Post Jul 11th, 2015 03:20 PM
Darth Thor

Originally posted by Sinious
Maul himself disarmed Savage in their duel after 1 strike. That is not really Sidious' style though. He tricks his enemies into thinking that they have a chance, gives them false hope and sometimes even presents a fake weakness for his opponent to try exploiting it only to find him/herself in a more disadvantageous position at the end.

Kind of speculative don't you think?

You and Nai don't believe they adequately portrayed that; others, myself included, believe it was portrayed just fine.

I don't see how, or at what point that was portrayed. TCW has shown it will show such a thing very clearly: Dooku vs Savage training session. There was a world of difference between that the and Sidious vs Maul
or Sidious vs Maul and Opress.

Only the Sidious vs Opress looked like that.

I've never understood the logic that Sidious was "toying with them with TK" but "fighting like hell with Sabers." Never got it. erm

Problem with this is, if he doesn't display that, then it's all speculation.

Because the website does confirm that Sheev "toyed with Maul"

This is the line:

Upon arrival Sidious declared the Sith brothers to be his rivals. In an Intense Duel, he killed Savage and toyed with Maul, ultimately deciding not to kill his former apprentice.

http://www.starwars.com/databank/da...ography-gallery

It says that after Sidious kills Opress. So I took that as the smacking him around with the Force at the end, which we all could see was clear toying from day 1.

It also says it was an Intense Duel, and that he only Ultimately decided not to kill Maul.

and Filoni himself implies that lightsabers were superfluous when Sheev decides to just batter the hell out of Maul with TK.

He says once Sidious says "I've had enough of this"

But wouldn't that imply Sidious couldn't just blitzed Maul in Sabers once he had enough?

Isn't that more proof Sidious resorted to Tk every time he was getting frustrated.

Ultimately I think if Sheev felt he was legitimately pressed in a lightsaber duel, he would use all the advantages at his disposal that he could, like the Force {unless he couldn't use them}.

Except he did.

He was booted off the balcony, he used Tk to throw them both down. Maul and Opress began to press him together, he used Tk to KO Maul out of the picture. He got fed up of the Saber fight with Maul, he started Force smacking Maul all over the place.

Last edited by Darth Thor on Jul 11th, 2015 at 06:58 PM

Old Post Jul 11th, 2015 06:47 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The_Tempest

Looks like we're still at impasse, DP. I see nothing that indicates Maul was pressing Sheev. All I see is a blatantly one-sided fight that the Zabraks could never have won.

Old Post Jul 11th, 2015 07:45 PM
Sinious
Yo Da Best

Originally posted by Darth Thor
Kind of speculative don't you think?

The point that's been made has already been proven various times. I'm just explaining why Sidious didn't do what Maul(someone who is proven to be far inferior to Sidiou btw) has done which is taking out Savage after 1 strike.

"That is why you fail."

Old Post Jul 11th, 2015 10:01 PM
Click here to Send Sinious a Private Message Find more posts by Sinious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Unbowed

It's too bad that Maul's best showing in that fight ended up getting cut. He blocks Sidious' lightning and then pins him to the wall with the Force, to the point where Sidious had to resort to crashing the chandelier thingie on Maul, he simply couldn't overpower his Force grip.

As a Maul fan I loved that scene, but I can see why it was cut. No one, not even Yoda, achieved such temporary dominance over Sidious using the Force.

Old Post Jul 11th, 2015 10:58 PM
Click here to Send Unbowed a Private Message Find more posts by Unbowed Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

Bandon could.

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Old Post Jul 11th, 2015 11:25 PM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

The point that's been made has already been proven various times. I'm just explaining why Sidious didn't do what Maul(someone who is proven to be far inferior to Sidiou btw) has done which is taking out Savage after 1 strike.

Sidious was toying with Opress in their 1 v 1 Saber fight no doubt. That was clearly shown. Very different to the Maul vs Sidious Saber fight.

Also it took Maul 2 strikes, an arm twist and a kick

Old Post Jul 12th, 2015 03:01 AM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sinious
Yo Da Best

There isnt anything different. He was still effortlessly toying with Maul. Maul with the rage amp he had managed to land one kick and the moment that happened, Sidious ended the fight(without using a force attack).

"That is why you fail."

Old Post Jul 12th, 2015 03:06 AM
Click here to Send Sinious a Private Message Find more posts by Sinious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

There isnt anything different.

Huh? They were completely different. Against Opress, Sidious didn't even ignite his Sabers at first, and was just laughing and jumping around.

Maul and Sidious fought back and forth in a non-stop Saber clash, with no sign of Sidious laughing until the very end where he ended it.

He was still effortlessly toying with Maul.

At which point? Show me please. Because the only time I saw that was when he started TK' Raping Maul.

Maul with the rage amp he had managed to land one kick and the moment that happened, Sidious ended the fight(without using a force attack).

They landed a kick each erm

And it was another 10 seconds after Maul's kick that Maul was disarmed. Even then the Saber fight wasn't necessarily over but we wouldn't know because Sidious put his Sabers away and began TK stomping.

Old Post Jul 12th, 2015 03:13 AM
Sinious
Yo Da Best

1. Well I'm the one who brought up Maul vs Savage in the first place and agreed that there is a huge gap between them so obviously I am aware that he was able to humiliate Savage more. However, even when Sidious was facing Maul, he was still in control of the situation and was dominating the fight.

2. Throughout the entire duel, Sidious could end the fight with his force attacks. He chose to keep going and considering how cowardly he can act when he felt in danger yet didn't bother relying on his massive advantage in the force to end the fight, its pretty clear that he was having fun even when fighting them both at the same time. Maul's humiliation stopped after his brother died, but that doesn't mean he had a slight chance of winning no matter how long they kept on going which is all that matters.

3. They were parted after the kick and with the first clash of sabers after that, Sidious disarmed Maul with a saber lock. He didn't rely on his TK. He could've chopped Maul's head off at that point. Nothing suggests that he relied on his superior power to defeat Maul.

"That is why you fail."

Old Post Jul 12th, 2015 03:26 AM
SunRazer
Back From The Dead

Nothing suggests the brothers ever had a chance, even in sabers only. Filoni states time and again the brothers can't compete with Sidious - the only time the laughing and smiling even stops in the final clash with Maul, who is clearly being voraciously empowered by his fury over his brother's death (and Sidious stating that he had been replaced).

That part is somewhat up to discussion, in my opinion. It's interesting to see in the show's version of the fight that even after Maul's kick, Sidious wasn't at any immediate advantage. In fact, when Palpatine and Maul charge at each other and saberlock, Maul is the one who first seems to be at an advantage (in that he's standing above Sidious, not that he's necessarily stronger), and Palpatine (at tremendous effort) overpowers and disarms Maul simultaneously. Then the ragdolling ensues.

Still, the brother's two physical hits on Palpatine were of absolutely no consequence whatsoever, as opposed to nearly every single physical hit that Palpatine landed either flooring or staggering one of the brothers. It's very clear Sidious is the advantageous one even without telekinetic attacks. He manages to change the flow of the fight at any time he so desires (whether physically or with telekinesis), and when the brothers attempt to disrupt his attacks/alter the fight in their favor Sheev simply goes along.

Last edited by SunRazer on Jul 12th, 2015 at 07:55 AM

Old Post Jul 12th, 2015 07:52 AM
Click here to Send SunRazer a Private Message Find more posts by SunRazer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

However, even when Sidious was facing Maul, he was still in control of the situation and was dominating the fight.

He was in control, because he could end the fight with Tk anytime he liked. And even in Sabers he was better. But I wouldn't say there was a world of difference in Sabers, especially against the Rage enhanced Maul.

2. Throughout the entire duel, Sidious could end the fight with his force attacks.

And that's what he did. Ended the 2 v 1 by KOing Maul with Tk. Ended the Maul solo fight by Tk'ing him.

its pretty clear that he was having fun even when fighting them both at the same time.

That's fine. But doesn't really "prove" anything except that Sidious wasn't worried at all, and was supremely confident in his ability to win.

Maul's humiliation stopped after his brother died, but that doesn't mean he had a slight chance of winning no matter how long they kept on going which is all that matters.

I'm not claiming he had a chance of winning. I'm claiming he did well in the "Sabers" portion of the fight, but was still Sidious's inferior even in that department.

3. They were parted after the kick and with the first clash of sabers after that, Sidious disarmed Maul with a saber lock. He didn't rely on his TK. He could've chopped Maul's head off at that point.

Not necessarily, because Maul was out of Sidious's immediate Saber reach once disarmed. But Maul wasn't lying on his ass, and his weapons should have still been within reach (for a Force user). Do i need to start posting the number of times in SW someone temporarily dropped their weapon but still didn't lose the Saber fight?

Nothing suggests that he relied on his superior power to defeat Maul.

Except that's exactly what he did. Sids didn't give Maul a couple of Saber slashes to drop him the way Dooku did to Kenobi in AOTC. He didn't put Maul to the ground disarmed of his weapons with his Saber at Maul's throat like Dooku did to Opress in their training session.

Instead the second Maul dropped his weapons, Sidious just Tk'd the crud out of him. (Which is actually backed by Filoni's comments stating that Sidious put his own weapons away and Maul'd Maul once he had enough. Why had he had enough if Maul was already beaten?)

Originally posted by SunRazer
Filoni states time and again the brothers can't compete with Sidious -

I mean he actually says "No one can compete with this guy."

That part is somewhat up to discussion, in my opinion.

thumb up

Still, the brother's two physical hits on Palpatine were of absolutely no consequence whatsoever,

Never claimed they did. I just highly doubt Sidious purposefully let a Physical Beast like Opress land a physical hit on him. Or let Maul land a kick on him in an intense duel with those dangerous Mechanical legs of his.

as opposed to nearly every single physical hit that Palpatine landed either flooring or staggering one of the brothers.

He certainly put Opress completely down with a kick. But pretty sure Maul tanked/rolled with each kick Sidious gave him.

Last edited by Darth Thor on Jul 12th, 2015 at 12:37 PM

Old Post Jul 12th, 2015 12:34 PM
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

TBF Filoni was exaggerating when he said no one could compete with Sidious. Mace, Yoda and Talzin could. Duh. erm

Not even getting into the you know who's.

Old Post Jul 12th, 2015 12:59 PM