KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » Christianity is based on substitutionary atonement. Is it a moral religion?

Christianity is based on substitutionary atonement. Is it a moral religion?
Started by: Greatest I am

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Greatest I am

The case of substitutionary atonement that I wish to speak of is when God deemed it moral and just to punish his innocent son Jesus, --- instead of punishing the guilty sinners that God was to condemn.

The strange part of this situation is that God had chosen to sacrifice Jesus even before the potential for sin was created, --- God had yet to create the earth, --- showing that what God was killing Jesus for, --- he had yet to create.

This was an arbitrary choice for God that was completely needless. God could have chosen to punish the guilty, --- what most call justice, --- or God could have found a moral way to forgive us. Instead, God chose to do the unjust and punish the innocent instead of the guilty.

The sacrifice was to pay or bribe God to change his usual policy of punishing the guilty to immorally punishing Jesus. God could have shown mercy and justice but instead decided to use an unjust method to forgive us.

That means that to be a good Christian, you have to accept and embrace the immoral tenet of human sacrifice and the notion that the best form of justice, --- when one wants to forgive someone, --- is to kill an innocent party.

As above so below.

At the end of days, God is to bring his law to earth.

Would you, as an innocent party, think it just if God punished you instead of the guilty?

Do you think that Jesus would ever preach such an immoral form of justice?

Regards
DL

Old Post Oct 25th, 2014 02:44 PM
Greatest I am is currently offline Click here to Send Greatest I am a Private Message Find more posts by Greatest I am Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

As a staunch atheist, your threads make me want to defend Christianity. However, I'll let those with an actual horse in the race take up the cause if they so wish.

Old Post Oct 25th, 2014 04:22 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

I know, maybe he is trying to convert people to christianity by spouting bs about it

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Oct 25th, 2014 08:28 PM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Sometimes an attack can be leveled against an extremist sect of a religion, but not the entire religion. With this, I don't think I've ever encountered a Christian sect with this interpretation, or anything close to it. Every sect from the most liberal to the most extreme, from biblical scholars to the old lady that sings in the church choir, would look at this and have a similar response after disagreeing with it. Christianity 101 - as in, the basic ideas that underlie literally all Christian thought - refutes this thread's premise.

Since interpretation of the bible is subjective, I can't technically call this a strawman. But in practical terms, he has an audience of zero.

Old Post Oct 25th, 2014 08:38 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

I'm all for hearing uncommon interpretation of different religious traditions, but when they are so fixed against the official stances of christianity they are a bit too defined by it to rise my interest.

Interpretation leads itself to wider debates, which is sometimes cool, but it also makes it harder to validate an argument. Lot's of that in these forums.

Old Post Oct 25th, 2014 09:02 PM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
bluewaterrider

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Digi
... in practical terms, he has an audience of zero.

Not so. The only thing I'm wondering is if it makes sense to engage the man.
Not because he may or may not have a point, but because I'm not sure he actually would look at, read, and discuss any responses. From everything I've learned in the past few months, though, this is Gnosticism, sometimes called Gnostic Luciferianism, 101.

Old Post Oct 25th, 2014 09:05 PM
bluewaterrider is currently offline Click here to Send bluewaterrider a Private Message Find more posts by bluewaterrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by Bentley
I'm all for hearing uncommon interpretation of different religious traditions, but when they are so fixed against the official stances of christianity they are a bit too defined by it to rise my interest.

Interpretation leads itself to wider debates, which is sometimes cool, but it also makes it harder to validate an argument. Lot's of that in these forums.

Agreed.

Old Post Oct 25th, 2014 09:30 PM
Greatest I am

As a staunch atheist, your threads make me want to defend Christianity. However, I'll let those with an actual horse in the race take up the cause if they so wish.

That and as an atheist, you likely have better morals than the average Christian.

I can appreciate those with a heart like yourself wanting to reduce my bullying Christians bur as you can see from their poor morals, they need a rude awakening.

Regards
DL

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2014 07:18 PM
Greatest I am is currently offline Click here to Send Greatest I am a Private Message Find more posts by Greatest I am Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Greatest I am

Sometimes an attack can be leveled against an extremist sect of a religion, but not the entire religion. With this, I don't think I've ever encountered a Christian sect with this interpretation, or anything close to it. Every sect from the most liberal to the most extreme, from biblical scholars to the old lady that sings in the church choir, would look at this and have a similar response after disagreeing with it. Christianity 101 - as in, the basic ideas that underlie literally all Christian thought - refutes this thread's premise.

Since interpretation of the bible is subjective, I can't technically call this a strawman. But in practical terms, he has an audience of zero.

Every Christian sect that flies the cross is immoral as their religion is based on barbaric human sacrifice and their desire to profit from murder.

Their dogma hides the facts but those are the irrefutable facts.

Regards
DL

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2014 07:21 PM
Greatest I am

Are you saying that substitutionary atonement is moral?

Regards
DL

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2014 07:22 PM
Greatest I am

Originally posted by bluewaterrider
Not so. The only thing I'm wondering is if it makes sense to engage the man.
Not because he may or may not have a point, but because I'm not sure he actually would look at, read, and discuss any responses. From everything I've learned in the past few months, though, this is Gnosticism, sometimes called Gnostic Luciferianism, 101.

By fools perhaps.

I try to read and answer all who have legitimate questions.

Not here that no one is talking morals and this is a moral question.

Waiting.

Regards
DL

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2014 07:24 PM
Bentley
Seitei

Originally posted by Greatest I am
Are you saying that substitutionary atonement is moral?

Regards
DL

Whatever floats your boat wink

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2014 09:12 PM
Greatest I am

Whatever floats your boat wink

So I decide your morality.

Pathetic.

Regards
DL

Old Post Nov 8th, 2014 10:28 PM
Tattoos N Scars
Modern Day Drifter

You ignore the doctrine of the Trinity. Jesus is God. The second Person in the Trinity. God sacrificed Himself to redeem mankind, not some independent scapegoat which you are implying. God arranged to robe Himself in human flesh(Jesus) before the oundation of the world to atone for the sins of man.

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2014 04:01 AM
Tattoos N Scars is currently offline Click here to Send Tattoos N Scars a Private Message Find more posts by Tattoos N Scars Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

So I decide your morality.

Pathetic.

Regards
DL

You decide your morality and it's by your moality tha you'll judge me. You just don't care about my morality (or lack of thereof) at all.

So again, whatever floats your boat.

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2014 06:55 AM
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Originally posted by Tattoos N Scars
You ignore the doctrine of the Trinity. Jesus is God. The second Person in the Trinity. God sacrificed Himself to redeem mankind, not some independent scapegoat which you are implying. God arranged to robe Himself in human flesh(Jesus) before the oundation of the world to atone for the sins of man.

I don't think the trinity is in Gnostic Christianity.

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2014 07:34 AM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stoic
Avenger

The case of substitutionary atonement that I wish to speak of is when God deemed it moral and just to punish his innocent son Jesus, --- instead of punishing the guilty sinners that God was to condemn.

The strange part of this situation is that God had chosen to sacrifice Jesus even before the potential for sin was created, --- God had yet to create the earth, --- showing that what God was killing Jesus for, --- he had yet to create.

This was an arbitrary choice for God that was completely needless. God could have chosen to punish the guilty, --- what most call justice, --- or God could have found a moral way to forgive us. Instead, God chose to do the unjust and punish the innocent instead of the guilty.

The sacrifice was to pay or bribe God to change his usual policy of punishing the guilty to immorally punishing Jesus. God could have shown mercy and justice but instead decided to use an unjust method to forgive us.

That means that to be a good Christian, you have to accept and embrace the immoral tenet of human sacrifice and the notion that the best form of justice, --- when one wants to forgive someone, --- is to kill an innocent party.

As above so below.

At the end of days, God is to bring his law to earth.

Would you, as an innocent party, think it just if God punished you instead of the guilty?

Regards
DL

Isaiah 30:10 Warns of rebellious people

…9For this is a rebellious people, false sons, Sons who refuse to listen To the instruction of the LORD; 10Who say to the seers, "You must not see visions"; And to the prophets, "You must not prophesy to us what is right, Speak to us pleasant words, Prophesy illusions. 11"Get out of the way, turn aside from the path, Let us hear no more about the Holy One of Israel."

Cross References
Romans 16:18
For such people are not serving our Lord Christ, but their own appetites. By smooth talk and flattery they deceive the minds of naive people.

2 Timothy 4:3
For the time will come when people will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear.

2 Timothy 4:4
They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths.

1 Samuel 9:9
(Formerly in Israel, if someone went to inquire of God, they would say, "Come, let us go to the seer," because the prophet of today used to be called a seer.)

1 Kings 22:8
The king of Israel answered Jehoshaphat, "There is still one prophet through whom we can inquire of the LORD, but I hate him because he never prophesies anything good about me, but always bad. He is Micaiah son of Imlah." "The king should not say such a thing," Jehoshaphat replied.

1 Kings 22:13
The messenger who had gone to summon Micaiah said to him, "Look, the other prophets without exception are predicting success for the king. Let your word agree with theirs, and speak favorably."

Isaiah 5:20
Woe to those who call evil good and good evil, who put darkness for light and light for darkness, who put bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter.

Old Post Dec 24th, 2014 05:10 PM
Stoic is currently offline Click here to Send Stoic a Private Message Find more posts by Stoic Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dyajeep

Re: Christianity is based on substitutionary atonement. Is it a moral religion?

Regards
DL

well, if you think Jesus will NOT preach immoral things, then where on earth did you come up with all the stuff you're spewing? roll eyes (sarcastic)

Old Post Jan 1st, 2015 02:39 AM
dyajeep is currently offline Click here to Send dyajeep a Private Message Find more posts by dyajeep Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Time Immemorial
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: Re: Christianity is based on substitutionary atonement. Is it a moral religion?

Originally posted by dyajeep
well, if you think Jesus will NOT preach immoral things, then where on earth did you come up with all the stuff you're spewing? roll eyes (sarcastic)

Its so funny, he does not believe in Jesus, but he spends all his time talking against him, to which the person he does not believe in.

Old Post Jan 1st, 2015 02:41 AM
Time Immemorial is currently offline Click here to Send Time Immemorial a Private Message Find more posts by Time Immemorial Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Greatest I am

Originally posted by Tattoos N Scars

Yes. That is why it is so immoral. God planned for sin and planned to murder Jesus instead of just using the other way that is scripture and moral.

The following 2 quotes are why I call what God did murder. As you can see, a sacrifice was not required.

2 Peter 3:9
The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

1 Timothy 2:4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.

As you can see all are saved without a sacrifice.

================

Having another innocent person suffer for the wrongs you have done, --- so that you might escape responsibility for having done them, --- is immoral.

Jesus said to pick up your cross and follow him but I see that you have taken the line that someone else should pay your dues. Quite manly and moral that. Not.

Do you really think someone else can pay your dues and allow you to shirk your just reward?

Deuteronomy 24:16 (ESV) “Fathers shall not be put to death because of their children, nor shall children be put to death because of their fathers. Each one shall be put to death for his own sin.

Ezekiel 18:20 (ESV) The soul who sins shall die. The son shall not suffer for the iniquity of the father, nor the father suffer for the iniquity of the son. The righteousness of the righteous shall be upon himself, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon himself.

The declaration which says that God visits the sins of the fathers upon the children is contrary to every principle of moral justice. [Thomas Paine, The Age of Reason]

As above so below.

If you had God's power, would you not be able to find a way that does not go against the wisdom of Jesus and the bible?

Perhaps like being man enough to step up to your own demands for a worthy sacrifice?

That is what a good God would do.

Regards
DL

Old Post Jan 7th, 2015 01:16 AM