KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Versus' Forum » Rank these villain/hero rivalries!

Rank these villain/hero rivalries!
Started by: Bentley

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Bentley
Seitei

Rank these villain/hero rivalries!

Good comicbook antagonists are not just about the hate or the colorful schemes, they can also challenge heroes in different levels, even going as far as to compete with them for similar goals. Instead of being one-sided these polar opposites recognize each other and have some respect for what they mean or stand for.

Since this is a great concept, why not play in rivalries? I thought about some of the most emblematic ones that came to mind (they are different from one another, so maybe you'll find they aren't really rivalries, that's fine, use this thread at your leisure).

Anyways, my picks:

Magneto and Professor X.
Loki and Thor.
Doctor Doom and Reed Richards.
Hercules and Ares.
Sinestro and Hal Jordan.

I wish I had more DC examples in mind but my mind since to be dry stick out tongue

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Oct 28th, 2014 09:20 AM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

The only antagonists in that list is Magneto/Xavier. Doom and Reed is entirely one-sided since Doom just hates on Reed, Hercules and Ares are gods and cannot be compared or whatsoever, Loki and Thor are just a sibling rivalry gone cosmic and while superior to Hal/Sinestro have a workplace dispute and are not really antagonists so to speak.

Old Post Oct 28th, 2014 09:29 AM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarkSaint85

A lot of these guys aren't truly villains, at least in recent memory. Loki and Thor work together, Ares was a bona fide Avenger and Magneto was part of the X men

Old Post Oct 28th, 2014 09:37 AM
DarkSaint85 is currently offline Click here to Send DarkSaint85 a Private Message Find more posts by DarkSaint85 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

quote: (post)
Originally posted by riv6672
The only antagonists in that list is Magneto/Xavier. Doom and Reed is entirely one-sided since Doom just hates on Reed, Hercules and Ares are gods and cannot be compared or whatsoever, Loki and Thor are just a sibling rivalry gone cosmic and while superior to Hal/Sinestro have a workplace dispute and are not really antagonists so to speak.

Doom hates Reed, but he also sees him as one of the smartest men he knows, deep down he considers him the only one able to keep up with him and give him a challenge thumb up

Herc/Ares and Loki/Thor, per your own words, are a sibling rivalry, totally a rivalry thumb up

You just described Hal/Sinestro like a dispute, which is the origin of the very word "antagonist" thumb up

But I guess it's my fault for telling you to nitpick me on the OP stick out tongue

Old Post Oct 28th, 2014 09:37 AM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Antagonists are people a group of people or institutions that represent the opposition against which the protagonist must contend.
As originally envisioned this is Magneto and the Brotherhood and Xavier and the School for Gifted Youngsters. So, they count.

The operative word in workplace rivalry is rivalry. It comes from the Latin, riv6672. smile

Old Post Oct 28th, 2014 09:45 AM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
wuleecat

LOL Hal/Sinestro as "workplace dispute"! Makes it sound like Sinestro was pissed off with Hal because he borrowed his pencil sharpener and forgot to return it!

Old Post Oct 28th, 2014 09:45 AM
wuleecat is currently offline Click here to Send wuleecat a Private Message Find more posts by wuleecat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Originally posted by wuleecat
LOL Hal/Sinestro as "workplace dispute"! Makes it sound like Sinestro was pissed off with Hal because he borrowed his pencil sharpener and forgot to return it!

How ELSE do you think Sinestro gets his mustache so pointy??? wink

Old Post Oct 28th, 2014 09:48 AM
Bentley
Seitei

Antagonists are people a group of people or institutions that represent the opposition against which the protagonist must contend.
As originally envisioned this is Magneto and the Brotherhood and Xavier and the School for Gifted Youngsters. So, they count.

The operative word in workplace rivalry is rivalry. It comes from the Latin, riv6672. smile

Here my friend, I found a very technical an obscure site that refutes your tight definition of an antagonist: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antagonist

They even use the world "rivalry" on it.

But what do I know right? English is not my first language, obviously you win thumb up

Old Post Oct 28th, 2014 09:50 AM
wuleecat

How ELSE do you think Sinestro gets his mustache so pointy??? wink

big grin

Old Post Oct 28th, 2014 09:55 AM
wuleecat is currently offline Click here to Send wuleecat a Private Message Find more posts by wuleecat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Originally posted by Bentley
But what do I know right? English is not my first language, obviously you win thumb up

Well since you're putting words in my mouth to make it seem i'm trying to put you down, i guess i do win? huh

Old Post Oct 28th, 2014 10:00 AM
Bentley
Seitei

Well since you're putting words in my mouth to make it seem i'm trying to put you down, i guess i do win? huh

Easiest win ever!

Can't you accept victory without kicking a man while he's down?

Old Post Oct 28th, 2014 10:03 AM
riv6672

There you go putting words in my mouth again. Or rather my foot in your ribs. laughing out loud

Old Post Oct 28th, 2014 10:07 AM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

I honestly wouldn't consider Xavier and Magneto to fit the bill, really. Not always anyway. Their relationship veers wildly from trying to kill each other to homosexual tension at times, so it's hard to classify them properly, imo.

Though you covered that in the op, so...

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Oct 28th, 2014 10:14 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

You really get homosexual tension from those two?
I always got more of a dirty old man vibe from them. Both have gone after way younger women...

Old Post Oct 28th, 2014 10:17 AM
Bentley
Seitei

You know, I can't go around pretending I give a sh_t about X-men characters cool

Originally posted by DarkSaint85
A lot of these guys aren't truly villains, at least in recent memory. Loki and Thor work together, Ares was a bona fide Avenger and Magneto was part of the X men

Again, what's a true villain in this day and age? The kids want to see Sabretooth leading the Avengers and Carnage dating Mary Jane, we cannot disappoint the kids.

Edit:

I always got more if a dirty old man vibe from them. Both have gone after way younger women...

Now Frank Miller has to write those two.

Old Post Oct 28th, 2014 10:17 AM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

I always got more of a dirty old man vibe from them. Both have gone after way younger women...

It goes both ways. It veers between them, etc.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Oct 28th, 2014 10:23 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Haha you said they go both ways! laughing

Old Post Oct 28th, 2014 10:27 AM
8swords

abhi and carver stick out tongue

Old Post Oct 28th, 2014 12:20 PM
8swords is currently offline Click here to Send 8swords a Private Message Find more posts by 8swords Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

What about Batman and the Joker? I always thought they had something of a yin/yang psychology going, almost a sense of ... mutual "ownership"? Eg...

"Nobody kills the Bat but me!"
-- Mr. J

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Oct 28th, 2014 12:32 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
carver9

Wolverine and Sabertooth fits this thread to a tee.

On ignore list: Darksaint and Stilt

Old Post Oct 28th, 2014 12:39 PM
carver9 is currently offline Click here to Send carver9 a Private Message Find more posts by carver9 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote