KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Phase 4 - Bottom of the Barrell

Phase 4 - Bottom of the Barrell
Started by: WhiteWitchKing

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Tzeentch
#gottem

Wonder Woman is DC.

But it kind of says a lot about how systemic the problem it is that you think the impending existence of a *single* minority powerhouse in a cast of dozens of super-powered characters adequately addresses the issue.

Let me ask you a question. Women make up ~51% of the human population, and non-white people make up ~85% of the population. Why shouldn't the MCU at least kinda sorta reflect that by having a diverse cast with some fair representation?

I mean, I'm not even asking for a TRUE representation of real life gender/race ratios. I think having a small handful of minority characters who can hang with the top-tier fighters is entirely reasonable, though.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Feb 14th, 2015 05:33 AM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

I know Whedon has brought this issue up, Blames it on sexism

http://screenrant.com/joss-whedon-f...o-movie-sexism/

Old Post Feb 14th, 2015 08:04 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

What kind of psychopath uses "recalcitrant" in regular conversation.

edit- I never had an issue with the IM3/Thor 2 posters, but seeing them side by side in this context does make me kind of cringe, lol. That said, I still don't have a problem with it. There's nothing wrong with damsels in distress, imo.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Last edited by Tzeentch on Feb 14th, 2015 at 09:54 AM

Old Post Feb 14th, 2015 09:47 AM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

That's because you're a sexist pig.

Old Post Feb 14th, 2015 05:16 PM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

No, I just wish RDJ would hold me like that.

Last edited by Tzeentch on Feb 15th, 2015 at 12:13 AM

Old Post Feb 15th, 2015 12:10 AM
Henry_Pym
Ultron Bound

Or we are a species with sexual dimorphism...

SJWs finding a conspiricy, when the truth is painfully obvious is hilarious.

White male heroes sell better, it's not sexism or bigotry holding a female/minority movie from being made, it's just the hypocrites not putting there money where their mouth is.

The truth of the matter ^

Old Post Feb 15th, 2015 01:28 AM
Henry_Pym is currently offline Click here to Send Henry_Pym a Private Message Find more posts by Henry_Pym Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

No shit they sell better. When 90% of action flicks have white male protagonists, it's all but inevitable that that category will have the best sellers. That's simple probability math, bro.

The first two Hunger Games flicks completely shitting on Thor 1 and 2 in sales is all the proof you need that minority-led films can just as profitable, if they're actually made well. The notion that white male led films are more common because they sell better is a tautological argument, and also pretty ignorant of the history of cinema.

Old Post Feb 15th, 2015 02:37 AM
Henry_Pym
Ultron Bound

Hunger Games had no competition... If we combine the comic book movies with white male leads it kills hunger games.

And I wasn't talking purely cinema, I was talking about the comic books sales, merchandise, and every other actual way to show support while actually doing something.

Personally I'd love more comic book characters getting movies, like a "Selma" inspired Blue Marvel movie set in the early sixtys and deals with race and the struggles of a masked hero. That said I'm not gonna give in to bait tactics like race swapping HT or the random dumb comments that Carol Danvers is the most powerful hero in MU... Sorry.

Last edited by Henry_Pym on Feb 15th, 2015 at 04:58 AM

Old Post Feb 15th, 2015 04:56 AM
Henry_Pym is currently offline Click here to Send Henry_Pym a Private Message Find more posts by Henry_Pym Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Tzeentch
No shit they sell better. When 90% of action flicks have white male protagonists, it's all but inevitable that that category will have the best sellers. That's simple probability math, bro.

Exactly.

I've never understood people going by those "statistics." Context to those stats is kinda important. Just sounds like an excuse for people not to take the "risk. "

Old Post Feb 15th, 2015 10:15 AM
Darth Thor is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Henry_Pym
Ultron Bound

The Risk is hundreds of millions of dollars, especially if your talking a major movie.

Then you have to account for these people's jobs, if your the director of a bomb, your now struggling to find work.

Proof is proof no matter how it's twisted.

Old Post Feb 15th, 2015 03:50 PM
Bentley
Seitei

Originally posted by Tzeentch

Well, the male part sort of reflects that the target audience of most action films is male. You could probably make a similar note on romantic comedy leads being female. It sort of fits the narrow idea of demographics a marketing person would have when thinking about a movie as a product.

But race wouldn't make a very sound argument from that perspective. There is the element of star power that could be thrown in for the kicks, white male actors might bring a bigger audience than minority actors would otherwise.

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Feb 15th, 2015 04:44 PM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Henry_Pym
Ultron Bound

It does when you look up disposable income, amount of times visiting movies, ect

Old Post Feb 15th, 2015 06:14 PM
Darth Thor

Originally posted by Henry_Pym
The Risk is hundreds of millions of dollars, especially if your talking a major movie.

Then you have to account for these people's jobs, if your the director of a bomb, your now struggling to find work.

Proof is proof no matter how it's twisted.

That risk exists with Every big budget movie.

But the idea that there's a significantly larger risk with a female lead is all in your head(and you're not to blame because it's clearly in the studios heads as well).

Old Post Feb 16th, 2015 12:34 AM
Darth Thor is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Henry_Pym
Ultron Bound

It's sad but true.

Outside of JLaw, which actress can could bring realistic badassery and star quality now?

Old Post Feb 16th, 2015 02:22 AM
Mike82

It's sad but true.

Outside of JLaw, which actress can could bring realistic badassery and star quality now?

Emily Blunt, Zoe Saldana, and Anne Hathaway. Oh, and let's not forget Scarlet Johansson.

Old Post Jul 28th, 2015 01:14 PM
Mike82 is currently offline Click here to Send Mike82 a Private Message Find more posts by Mike82 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mike82

Hunger Games had no competition... If we combine the comic book movies with white male leads it kills hunger games.

And I wasn't talking purely cinema, I was talking about the comic books sales, merchandise, and every other actual way to show support while actually doing something.

Personally I'd love more comic book characters getting movies, like a "Selma" inspired Blue Marvel movie set in the early sixtys and deals with race and the struggles of a masked hero. That said I'm not gonna give in to bait tactics like race swapping HT or the random dumb comments that Carol Danvers is the most powerful hero in MU... Sorry.

Well, maybe you could just give credit were credit it is due. Hunger Games with or without competition was a smash hit with a female lead. Its the only movie needed to prove the point that a movie featuring a strong female lead can make bank at the boxoffice. This isn't the 1950s.

Blue Marvel won't be getting a movie anytime soon, he's still a very new character and is not very popular. Carol Danvers can be the most powerful character in the movies if Marvel chooses to make her so. Movies are different than comics. Its fine, the world won't end. I wouldn't be surprised that a character with super-human strength, flight, durability, energy projection, absorption, and manipulation would end up being the most powerful character.

Old Post Jul 28th, 2015 01:24 PM
Mike82 is currently offline Click here to Send Mike82 a Private Message Find more posts by Mike82 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

Originally posted by NemeBro
That's because you're a sexist pig.

So, if a movie focuses on a male protagonist trying to save a female it's sexist, right?

Old Post Aug 14th, 2015 04:07 AM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Marvel is considering filming Thor: Ragnarok & Captain Marvel here in Australia, Disney is happy with how the latest Pirates has turned out for them.

Old Post Sep 1st, 2015 06:58 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
CPT Space Bomb
Emperor Doom

I just hope Thor: Ragnarok is better than Dark World sad It's one thing to try and inject humor into a movie; it's another thing entirely to ruin it with too much. I'm not saying Thor: TDW was a terrible movie; it just wasn't near as good as it should/could have been.

So what about my comments made your ass so sore? Was it me calling you a phaggot? I think not." - Nemebro

Old Post Sep 4th, 2015 08:57 PM
CPT Space Bomb is currently offline Click here to Send CPT Space Bomb a Private Message Find more posts by CPT Space Bomb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

^ Too many cooks in the kitchen i bet

they've pruned that now.

Old Post Sep 5th, 2015 03:59 AM