KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Star Wars Versus Forum » Darth Bane vs. Maul bros.

Darth Bane vs. Maul bros.
Started by: The Merchant

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Bane knows every move Savage can make with his saberstaff, his lightsaber mastery is vastly superior to the brutes.

Old Post Nov 15th, 2014 12:29 AM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
carthage
PLEASE PROTECT ME STONES

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Nephthys
Bane knows every move Savage can make with his saberstaff, his lightsaber mastery is vastly superior to the brutes.

None of that makes Bane more skilled that Savage, who has he beaten without or balisks or a nexus other than Featless Sirak that surpasses Plo Koon or Ventress?

"Happiness is a lie. Life is horror. The light is always dying all across the universe. The last star will flicker out someday, when it does, all that remains is shadow. And I will be its king!"'-Amahl Farouk

Old Post Nov 15th, 2014 12:31 AM
Click here to Send carthage a Private Message Find more posts by carthage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by carthage
None of that makes Bane more skilled that Savage, who has he beaten without or balisks or a nexus other than Featless Sirak that surpasses Plo Koon or Ventress?

Originally posted by WildBantha88
Actually it does but since you only count win/loss record as a way to gauge a characters skill I can see why you would be blind to the meaning of that fact

Old Post Nov 15th, 2014 12:34 AM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewGuy01
perpetual

Bane knows every move Savage can make with his saberstaff,

I'm not so sure about that. He's very familiar with the weapon, but Savage's application of it is somewhat non-traditional.

Old Post Nov 15th, 2014 12:40 AM
Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
carthage
PLEASE PROTECT ME STONES

Bane has never beaten anyone by virtue of his skill with a lightsaber apart from Sirak and even then he was amped. His sole victories are a result of orbalisks or relying on a nexus, stop evading the point. Who has Bane beaten that surpasses Plo koon or Ventress?

"Happiness is a lie. Life is horror. The light is always dying all across the universe. The last star will flicker out someday, when it does, all that remains is shadow. And I will be its king!"'-Amahl Farouk

Old Post Nov 15th, 2014 12:41 AM
Click here to Send carthage a Private Message Find more posts by carthage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by NewGuy01
I'm not so sure about that. He's very familiar with the weapon, but Savage's application of it is somewhat non-traditional.

You mean because he has basically no actual lightsaber training or grasp of the forms? wink

Old Post Nov 15th, 2014 12:41 AM
carthage
PLEASE PROTECT ME STONES

You mean because he has basically no actual lightsaber training or grasp of the forms? wink

Lol knowledge of forms doesnt make Bane a "skilled" duelist, it means he has technical knowledge of those forms. If he hasnt incorporated them in combat and won, who cares. By your logic Cin Drallig and Kas'im >>> other duelists like Kun or Dooku because they know more forms.

Old Post Nov 15th, 2014 12:44 AM
NewGuy01
perpetual

He quite obviously does, otherwise he wouldn't be able to face the bladework of Council-level duelists without being skewered.

I was more referring to the manner in which he uses the weapon--I mean, Djem So and Lus-ma with a saberstaff? That's pretty unconventional.

Old Post Nov 15th, 2014 12:46 AM
Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

He quite obviously does, otherwise he wouldn't be able to face the bladework of Council-level duelists without being skewered.

I was more referring to the manner in which he uses the weapon--I mean, Djem So and Lus-ma with a saberstaff? That's pretty unconventional.

No, not obviously. He gets by with pure power and strength coupled with whatever he learned as a Nightbrother, but it's pretty obvious that his actual training in using a lightsaber is extremely minimal. He's only been using one for a few months. He had a tiny bit of training from Dooku and probably some from Maul but it's barely a drop in the bucket.

Old Post Nov 15th, 2014 12:52 AM
carthage
PLEASE PROTECT ME STONES

Bane had only a few months of training and only beat Sirak, decades later in DOE there is scant evidence that he ever increased in skill. Bane gets by using nexuses and his nexus amped force abilities, so its pretty obvious the importance of his training is minimal

Old Post Nov 15th, 2014 12:55 AM
NewGuy01
perpetual

He's only been using a lightsaber for a few months.

The same could be said about Bane in PoD, really. He's trained under Maul and Dooku and was at least somewhat proficient in the use of polearms beforehand. Were he not adequately skilled, no, brute strength would not save him from the intricate bladework of someone like Ventress.

Old Post Nov 15th, 2014 01:00 AM
ILS
Restricted

Account Restricted

People still going full-retard in regards to Savage's use of a lightsaber I see.

“The galaxy must experience the pain of death and the rapture of rebirth as I have. I will bring chaos. It is time for war.

Old Post Nov 15th, 2014 01:13 AM
Click here to Send ILS a Private Message Find more posts by ILS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
carthage
PLEASE PROTECT ME STONES

No its just Neph

Old Post Nov 15th, 2014 01:14 AM
ILS
Restricted

Account Restricted

That's what I meant lol

“The galaxy must experience the pain of death and the rapture of rebirth as I have. I will bring chaos. It is time for war.

Old Post Nov 15th, 2014 01:27 AM
Click here to Send ILS a Private Message Find more posts by ILS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

The same could be said about Bane in PoD, really. He's trained under Maul and Dooku and was at least somewhat proficient in the use of polearms beforehand. Were he not adequately skilled, no, brute strength would not save him from the intricate bladework of someone like Ventress.

Bane has an insane learning rate and a genius IQ though, and he spent all his time training, increasing his knowledge and power etc. Dooku obviously couldn't devote too much time to training Savage and didn't appear to anyway and we only saw Maul beat Savage up once as training to my knowledge.

I'm not saying Savage isn't adequately skilled, I was the one who brought up his Nightbrother training afterall, just that he has extremely minimal training in using a lightsaber and obviously lacks a decent grasp of the forms. He competed with Ventress with pure brute force, as is pretty clear from watching the fight imo.

Old Post Nov 15th, 2014 01:27 AM
ILS
Restricted

Account Restricted

You need to be a truly masterful fighter who is in perfect attunement with his weapon in order to use a Saberstaff, otherwise you're at risk of cutting yourself in half with the slightest error. Savage went from being stomped by Dooku to competing evenly with Plo Koon, Asajj Ventress and at times, Kenobi, after Maul trained him. Even if we don't know what Form he used or if he used one at all, he's pretty obviously more than just raw strength. I lose brain cells every time someone says that.

Old Post Nov 15th, 2014 01:33 AM
NewGuy01
perpetual

Originally posted by ILS
You need to be a truly masterful fighter who is in perfect attunement with his weapon in order to use a Saberstaff, otherwise you're at risk of cutting yourself in half with the slightest error. Savage went from being stomped by Dooku to competing evenly with Plo Koon, Asajj Ventress and at times, Kenobi, after Maul trained him. Even if we don't know what Form he used or if he used one at all, he's pretty obviously more than just raw strength. I lose brain cells every time someone says that.

thumb up And let's not forget that he defeated Adi Gallia as well. While she's not the most revered lightsaber mastery, she was noted amongst the rest of the council to have a very unorthodox fighting style.

Old Post Nov 15th, 2014 01:41 AM
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

I conceded that he was more, just not much more. Anyone with a few brain cells could look at Savage's fights and see that there's not a lot of skill in them. I'm seriously watching them all right now and he mostly just wildly swings.

Also Savage fought Ventress and Obi-Wan before his training with Maul. And he beat Adi Gallia by force pushing her into a wall and skewering her with his horns. Not with his lightsaber skill.

Old Post Nov 15th, 2014 01:45 AM
ILS
Restricted

Account Restricted

thumb up And let's not forget that he defeated Adi Gallia as well. While she's not the most revered lightsaber mastery, she was noted amongst the rest of the council to have a very unorthodox fighting style.
Gallia and Savage seem pretty closely matched in skill actually, which is more a feat for Gallia admittedly. Although she was stomping MagnaGuards during the Republic comic series, which may be retconned due to the fact Grievous now isn't the one who killed her, but it shows that she's still capable of doing so.

Old Post Nov 15th, 2014 01:45 AM
ILS
Restricted

Account Restricted

I conceded that he was more, just not much more. Anyone with a few brain cells could look at Savage's fights and see that there's not a lot of skill in them. I'm seriously watching them all right now and he mostly just wildly swings.

Also Savage fought Ventress and Obi-Wan before his training with Maul. And he beat Adi Gallia by force pushing her into a wall and skewering her with his horns. Not with his lightsaber skill.
Calling them wild swings is just your interpretation, though, and they obviously get the job done regardless.

Even better, and him killing her with TK/horns doesn't negate the fact he dueled evenly with her leading up to that.

Old Post Nov 15th, 2014 01:47 AM