KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Superman » Rip Off Report

Rip Off Report
Started by: Time Immemorial

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Star428
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by riv6672
Troll status: confirmed.

(please log in to view the image)

laughing

I laughed my *** off at that. Thanks riv.

Most people believe Evolution not because they themselves are dumb, but cause they trust the "experts" who are feeding them evolutionary fast food, and so they don't bother questioning whether or not it's true.

Old Post Nov 15th, 2014 02:57 PM
Star428 is currently offline Click here to Send Star428 a Private Message Find more posts by Star428 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Prof. T.C McAbe
Kryptonian Scientist

Superman is the first "Superhero" as we know them from Comics, however, he was inspired by Moses, Jesus, Samson, Hercules, this makes him also kind of a rip off.

Hyperion and Gladiator are "rip offs" though I would rather say homages.

Son Goku, his story, status and power, is also a homage to Superman.

Captain Marvel was created to be like Superman and Sentry, according to his creator, was supposed to be Marvels Superman, but both developed to something new imo. Billy a child with godly powers, shares few traits with Superman and Sentry, because of his personality and powerset is also unqiue. So even if they started to be Superman "clones" they are nothing like that anymore. The same can be said about Goku.

Hyperion and Gladiator are very close though, except for their lack of a secret identity.

Sig made by my mate, the one and only One_Angry_Scot

Old Post Nov 15th, 2014 03:20 PM
Prof. T.C McAbe is currently offline Click here to Send Prof. T.C McAbe a Private Message Find more posts by Prof. T.C McAbe Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
One_Angry_Scot
----

Originally posted by -Pr-
Superman may be the best in your (and my) opinion, but let's not pretend he's a completely original concept, or that he never copied anyone.

I don't think that Sentry was originally intended, or right now, is written as Marvel's Superman.

When Bendis wrote him though, he flat out stated that he was writing him as Marvel's Superman. I don't think they're that alike personally though.

Yeah I agree with you. I never actually knew Bendis said that. If he did then what a tosser.

To be honest not that I dislike Superman because he's up there as one of my favourites. But I don't see why he intended to do that. They are so different.

Sentry is much closer to Miracleman as a character.

Old Post Nov 15th, 2014 03:22 PM
One_Angry_Scot is currently offline Click here to Send One_Angry_Scot a Private Message Find more posts by One_Angry_Scot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by Lek Kuen
Basically. He started the modern super hero boom so of course is copied a lot but he too was influenced by others before and not the first hero. But it doesn't make him any less iconic.

People who do stuff like this about how others copy him aren't doing him any favors by focusing on his status as first, instead of the actual quality of the character.

Yep. We see far too much of that on KMC, and not just with Superman either.

Originally posted by One_Angry_Scot
Yeah I agree with you. I never actually knew Bendis said that. If he did then what a tosser.

To be honest not that I dislike Superman because he's up there as one of my favourites. But I don't see why he intended to do that. They are so different.

Sentry is much closer to Miracleman as a character.

I don't have it to hand, but in one of the early Mighty Avengers comics, the script by Bendis has the line "marvel has its Superman" or something to that effect in direct relation to Sentry. The script should be online, or maybe it was released with an edition of the comic, i'm not sure.

but yes, bendis is a tosser.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Nov 15th, 2014 06:51 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Placidity
Chief Executive Officer

Lets talk Deadpool.

Old Post Nov 16th, 2014 12:44 PM
Placidity is currently offline Click here to Send Placidity a Private Message Find more posts by Placidity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Time Immemorial
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Placidity
Lets talk Deadpool.

Lol, yea he's the biggest rip off.

Old Post Nov 16th, 2014 05:51 PM
Time Immemorial is currently offline Click here to Send Time Immemorial a Private Message Find more posts by Time Immemorial Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

He gets away with it though, as he's funny.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Nov 16th, 2014 10:15 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Sentry may've been initially intended as an S-clone, but since then, he's developed in his own direction, especially DS Sentry (who has a great look, btw, much, Much better, imo, than that "golden guardian" appearance).

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Nov 17th, 2014 06:13 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
One_Angry_Scot
----

Originally posted by Mindship
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Sentry may've been initially intended as an S-clone, but since then, he's developed in his own direction, especially DS Sentry (who has a great look, btw, much, Much better, imo, than that "golden guardian" appearance).

His current appearance is good, just wish Remender would actually put him in a comic.

Old Post Nov 17th, 2014 06:17 PM
One_Angry_Scot is currently offline Click here to Send One_Angry_Scot a Private Message Find more posts by One_Angry_Scot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Originally posted by One_Angry_Scot
His current appearance is good, just wish Remender would actually put him in a comic.
Agreed.

Old Post Nov 17th, 2014 06:19 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

(who has a great look, btw, much, Much better, imo, than that "golden guardian" appearance).

The Silver age Sentry was one of the funniest Marvel characters in recent years though.

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Nov 17th, 2014 08:11 PM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Originally posted by Bentley
The Silver age Sentry was one of the funniest Marvel characters in recent years though.
It sort of reminded me of KMC member tkitna's(?) avatar.

Old Post Nov 17th, 2014 09:58 PM
One_Angry_Scot
----

It sort of reminded me of KMC member tkitna's(?) avatar.

Yep, this is what this Sentry looks like.

Golden and Silver Age

Silver Age

Old Post Nov 17th, 2014 10:14 PM
Time Immemorial
Restricted

Account Restricted

I think I have more respect for Gladiator, Marvel did a good job giving him close ties and name and powers to Kal.

Old Post Dec 10th, 2014 05:31 PM
Time Immemorial is currently offline Click here to Send Time Immemorial a Private Message Find more posts by Time Immemorial Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
One_Angry_Scot
----

Originally posted by Time Immemorial
I think I have more respect for Gladiator, Marvel did a good job giving him close ties and name and powers to Kal.

I like Kallark's warrior spirit as well.

I just wish Marvel would actually write him for what he is. I can't imagine a small WWH sized arc where it was a 100% Confidence Glads on the rampage.

Old Post Dec 10th, 2014 06:05 PM
HulkIsHulk

Originally posted by -Pr-
Superman may be the best in your (and my) opinion, but let's not pretend he's a completely original concept, or that he never copied anyone.

In fact the original Superman was ripping of Captain Marvel, or as he's called now, Shazam

Thanks for the sig Scot-and for the help with my avatar
When someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles to frown but only 4 to reach out and bchslap them upside down on their head

Old Post Dec 10th, 2014 08:01 PM
HulkIsHulk is currently offline Click here to Send HulkIsHulk a Private Message Find more posts by HulkIsHulk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Time Immemorial
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by HulkIsHulk
In fact the original Superman was ripping of Captain Marvel, or as he's called now, Shazam

Can you explain this?

Old Post Dec 10th, 2014 08:14 PM
God
Master of Universe

What is the current Superman's version ? n52 or MoS ?

Old Post Dec 11th, 2014 07:30 AM
God is currently offline Click here to Send God a Private Message Find more posts by God Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Star428
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by HulkIsHulk

That makes no sense as Superman was created before he was.

Most people believe Evolution not because they themselves are dumb, but cause they trust the "experts" who are feeding them evolutionary fast food, and so they don't bother questioning whether or not it's true.

Old Post Dec 11th, 2014 04:10 PM
Star428 is currently offline Click here to Send Star428 a Private Message Find more posts by Star428 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Time Immemorial
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Star428
That makes no sense as Superman was created before he was.

Lol I know right, he ran from my question as well faster then a fly from a swatter.

Old Post Dec 11th, 2014 04:48 PM