KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Michelle MacLaren To Direct Wonder Woman

Michelle MacLaren To Direct Wonder Woman
Started by: Golgo13

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (11): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
pym-ftw
Mizukage

She won a daytime Emmy...

Tv and Movies are vastly different mediums. It's like saying Dr. Seuss could write an amazing novel based on his short stories.

I'm not Joking, Boy
Ignore list: Abhi for the sake of the forum.
53>6.6
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GCAMfDmX86o
My YouTube

Old Post Nov 25th, 2014 07:42 PM
pym-ftw is currently offline Click here to Send pym-ftw a Private Message Find more posts by pym-ftw Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Senor Cage

quote: (post)
Originally posted by pym-ftw

Tv and Movies are vastly different mediums. It's like saying Dr. Seuss could write an amazing novel based on his short stories.

Yet, this won't be the first time someone from TV had been working on a super hero movie. It's been working out for Marvel for a long time.

Old Post Nov 25th, 2014 07:51 PM
Senor Cage is currently offline Click here to Send Senor Cage a Private Message Find more posts by Senor Cage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Senor Cage

Originally posted by krisblaze
Okay, so nothing major.

But what has she written?

Obviously "you couldn't be more excited" for a reason. What is that reason?

Her TV resume. Duh. She's worked on some of the best episodes on Breaking Bad.

Old Post Nov 25th, 2014 07:56 PM
Senor Cage is currently offline Click here to Send Senor Cage a Private Message Find more posts by Senor Cage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Firefly218
Restricted

Account Restricted

They are not "vastly" different mediums. They're different, but not "vastly".

Fact is, she has plenty of directing experience.

Joss Whedon never directed a movie before Serenity, and now it's arguably one of the greatest sci fi movies of all time.

Drew Goddard never directed anything but television before Cabin in the Woods, and now it's one of my all time favorites. Granted he did have help from whedon.

Russo brothers directed exclusively for television before Cap 2.

Edgar Wright had only done television before the cornetto trilogy`

Directors like stephan spielberg, brad bird, ridley scott, mel brooks etc ALL began as successful names in Television.

Old Post Nov 25th, 2014 08:49 PM
Firefly218 is currently offline Click here to Send Firefly218 a Private Message Find more posts by Firefly218 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

Originally posted by Firefly218

Joss Whedon never directed a movie before Serenity, and now it's arguably one of the greatest sci fi movies of all time.

Drew Goddard never directed anything but television before Cabin in the Woods, and now it's one of my all time favorites. Granted he did have help from whedon.

Directors like stephan spielberg, brad bird, ridley scott, mel brooks etc ALL began as successful names in Television.

so. are you IN FACT SAYING that this woman will be the next Whedon, etc??

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Nov 25th, 2014 10:05 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

I need to watch that.

Old Post Nov 25th, 2014 10:13 PM
Darth Thor is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Firefly218
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by DARTH POWER
I need to watch that.

I highly recommend it

Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
so. are you IN FACT SAYING that this woman will be the next Whedon, etc??

I'm saying we shouldn't discount her just cuz she hasn't directed a movie before. She has plenty of directing experience in television.

Old Post Nov 25th, 2014 10:19 PM
Firefly218 is currently offline Click here to Send Firefly218 a Private Message Find more posts by Firefly218 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Senor Cage

Excellent post. AMC Movie talks about how it's smart hiring directors from the TV medium. It's a good choice no matter how you slice it. Is it going to be a guarantee blockbuster/hit? No, but WB is on the right track.

Old Post Nov 25th, 2014 10:37 PM
roughrider
Thunderer

I think the issue is how much experience someone has before directing a megabudget tentpole franchise film, not about whether they directed at all.

Steven Spielberg wasn't considered a very seasoned director when he got the chance to do Jaws, even with two features to his name - the Sugarland Express and Duel(his expanded TV film got theatrically released in Europe.)

The Russo brothers had made feature films as well as directing for TV before The Winter Soldier; I was just concerned at the time that they seemed to only make comedies (Welcome To Collinwood, You, Me & Dupree) - strangely, something that never entered my mind when Jon Favreau got the assignment to do Iron Man.

Edgar Wright went from directing a cult TV show to small scale cult film comedies, before he got named as Ant-Man's director.

Ridley Scott was an art director for TV before he got into directing commericals. Before Alien, he made his feature debut in the small scale historical drama The Duelists.

Who's one of the few who made their feature debut with a big budget genre film? - David Fincher, going straight from commercials and music videos to directing Alien 3. An experience he regretted.

Did anyone have concerns about Joss Whedon directing Serenity, saying he had feature film screenwriting experience but no feature directing credits? I think we all figured Firefly was his show, he's the one to do it. Did I wonder if that was enough to make him right for the Avengers? A little bit, but he rocked our worlds as it turned out. A little experience is better than none.

So, yes. I'm mildly concerned about Michelle McLaren having no feature length experience, for such a hugely important tentpole franchise film. Even Patty Jenkins had one feature to her credit when she had the assignment to do Thor: The Dark World (before she was eventually relieved of the job.) Alan Taylor stepped in and despite being best known for Game Of Thrones episodes, he had directed features before.

We'll have to see if they will trust her to go through with this film, or whether she's a puppet being controlled by Zack Snyder behind the scenes (just as I'm sure he did to Noam Murro, on the 300 sequel.)

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Nov 26th, 2014 03:51 AM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
pym-ftw
Mizukage

you lost me right there.

A 3rd director with executive producer credit on a show should not be helping the single most important film Dc/WB is going to put out.

I'm not Joking, Boy
Ignore list: Abhi for the sake of the forum.
53>6.6
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GCAMfDmX86o
My YouTube

Old Post Nov 26th, 2014 04:19 AM
pym-ftw is currently offline Click here to Send pym-ftw a Private Message Find more posts by pym-ftw Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Originally posted by Golgo13
Ooops. I meant director/producer. Calm down.

No need to exaggerate things, Already was calm

Okay, so nothing major.

But what has she written?

Obviously "you couldn't be more excited" for a reason. What is that reason?

Have you tried going to IMDB?

Old Post Nov 26th, 2014 04:23 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Senor Cage

you lost me right there.

A 3rd director with executive producer credit on a show should not be helping the single most important film Dc/WB is going to put out.

Why couldn't she do it? What are your reasons?

Old Post Nov 26th, 2014 04:37 AM
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

I highly recommend it

I'm saying we shouldn't discount her just cuz she hasn't directed a movie before. She has plenty of directing experience in television.

i hope you are right but i will get so excited right now until i see more casting news and a trailer in a few years

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Nov 26th, 2014 05:48 AM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Firefly218
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by roughrider
I think the issue is how much experience someone has before directing a megabudget tentpole franchise film, not about whether they directed at all.

Steven Spielberg wasn't considered a very seasoned director when he got the chance to do Jaws, even with two features to his name - the Sugarland Express and Duel(his expanded TV film got theatrically released in Europe.)

The Russo brothers had made feature films as well as directing for TV before The Winter Soldier; I was just concerned at the time that they seemed to only make comedies (Welcome To Collinwood, You, Me & Dupree) - strangely, something that never entered my mind when Jon Favreau got the assignment to do Iron Man.

Edgar Wright went from directing a cult TV show to small scale cult film comedies, before he got named as Ant-Man's director.

Ridley Scott was an art director for TV before he got into directing commericals. Before Alien, he made his feature debut in the small scale historical drama The Duelists.

Who's one of the few who made their feature debut with a big budget genre film? - David Fincher, going straight from commercials and music videos to directing Alien 3. An experience he regretted.

Did anyone have concerns about Joss Whedon directing Serenity, saying he had feature film screenwriting experience but no feature directing credits? I think we all figured Firefly was his show, he's the one to do it. Did I wonder if that was enough to make him right for the Avengers? A little bit, but he rocked our worlds as it turned out. A little experience is better than none.

So, yes. I'm mildly concerned about Michelle McLaren having no feature length experience, for such a hugely important tentpole franchise film. Even Patty Jenkins had one feature to her credit when she had the assignment to do Thor: The Dark World (before she was eventually relieved of the job.) Alan Taylor stepped in and despite being best known for Game Of Thrones episodes, he had directed features before.

We'll have to see if they will trust her to go through with this film, or whether she's a puppet being controlled by Zack Snyder behind the scenes (just as I'm sure he did to Noam Murro, on the 300 sequel.)

Valid points. Not having directed a feature film before will certainly be a disadvantage, but if she's truly as talented as she seems it can be overcome.

Old Post Nov 26th, 2014 05:55 AM
krisblaze

lmao at this phucking clueless guy claiming Serenity is one of the best sci-fi movies ever...

Originally posted by Golgo13
Her TV resume. Duh. She's worked on some of the best episodes on Breaking Bad.

Why are you 'duh' ing me. I asked you what she had done that got you so excited.

You can just answer and leave it at that, instead of trying to weasel out of it and then sassing me.

Thanks Estacado

Old Post Nov 26th, 2014 10:10 AM
krisblaze is currently offline Click here to Send krisblaze a Private Message Find more posts by krisblaze Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

I personally see nothing to get "over" excited about.

She's clearly directed some great episodes of Tv, but without a proper feature film experience there's nothing to jump up and down about- Joss Whedon had at least done Serenity, and the Russo Brothers had done a few films.

For those wondering about what she's written before, she has 1 writing credit on Imdb for a Tv movie - "A Song from the Heart."

Old Post Nov 26th, 2014 10:18 AM
Darth Thor is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

lmao at this phucking clueless guy claiming Serenity is one of the best sci-fi movies ever...

erm

Old Post Nov 26th, 2014 11:58 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Firefly218
Restricted

Account Restricted

There's this thing called an opinion. Don't know if you've heard of it or not, but it's pretty common.

Old Post Nov 26th, 2014 03:02 PM
Quincy
Debaser

It's not like that at all

Sig by Scribble

Old Post Nov 26th, 2014 03:21 PM
Quincy is currently offline Click here to Send Quincy a Private Message Find more posts by Quincy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Senor Cage

Why are you 'duh' ing me. I asked you what she had done that got you so excited.

You can just answer and leave it at that, instead of trying to weasel out of it and then sassing me.

Nah. You should read what I write. Pretty simple. Duh.

Old Post Nov 26th, 2014 05:49 PM