KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Michelle MacLaren To Direct Wonder Woman

Michelle MacLaren To Direct Wonder Woman
Started by: Golgo13

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (11): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Senor Cage

quote: (post)
Originally posted by DARTH POWER
I personally see nothing to get "over" excited about.

She's clearly directed some great episodes of Tv, but without a proper feature film experience there's nothing to jump up and down about- Joss Whedon had at least done Serenity, and the Russo Brothers had done a few films.

For those wondering about what she's written before, she has 1 writing credit on Imdb for a Tv movie - "A Song from the Heart."

You have to start somewhere. Just because she hasn't done a full length feature, doesn't mean she can't do it or we should assume the worst. I don't think WB would take a risk if they didn't think she could do it. If she's smart and talented (which she is) then there is no reason she can't do it.

Old Post Nov 26th, 2014 05:53 PM
Senor Cage is currently offline Click here to Send Senor Cage a Private Message Find more posts by Senor Cage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

I personally see nothing to get "over" excited about.

She's clearly directed some great episodes of Tv, but without a proper feature film experience there's nothing to jump up and down about- Joss Whedon had at least done Serenity, and the Russo Brothers had done a few films.

For those wondering about what she's written before, she has 1 writing credit on Imdb for a Tv movie - "A Song from the Heart."

best statement up in here

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Nov 26th, 2014 07:29 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Senor Cage

Originally posted by Firefly218
There's this thing called an opinion. Don't know if you've heard of it or not, but it's pretty common.

Would you rate Serenity above the likes of Aliens and Terminator? And you are correct in the sense that Joss Whedon's first movie was a cult classic. At least, IMO. And that was his first movie. I think Michelle will do fine. smile

Old Post Nov 26th, 2014 08:00 PM
Senor Cage is currently offline Click here to Send Senor Cage a Private Message Find more posts by Senor Cage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Firefly218
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Golgo13
Would you rate Serenity above the likes of Aliens and Terminator? And you are correct in the sense that Joss Whedon's first movie was a cult classic. At least, IMO. And that was his first movie. I think Michelle will do fine. smile

In general, probly not. Aliens and Terminator impacted hundreds of millions, catalyzed the evolution of the entire genre and were damn good. Not to say it's better, but Serenity just personally means more to me.

Agreed. MacLaren is a good choice.

Old Post Nov 26th, 2014 08:50 PM
Firefly218 is currently offline Click here to Send Firefly218 a Private Message Find more posts by Firefly218 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Quincy
Debaser

I liked the episodes of Breaking Bad she directed. Hence I am excited.

I think that's a fair thought process.

Sig by Scribble

Old Post Nov 26th, 2014 09:51 PM
Quincy is currently offline Click here to Send Quincy a Private Message Find more posts by Quincy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

You have to start somewhere. Just because she hasn't done a full length feature, doesn't mean she can't do it or we should assume the worst. I don't think WB would take a risk if they didn't think she could do it. If she's smart and talented (which she is) then there is no reason she can't do it.

I never said she can't do it or that it can't be amazing or that we should assume the worst. I said it's nothing to jump up and down about at this point given the fact that she's never directed or written a film for the Big Screen before.

Old Post Nov 26th, 2014 11:12 PM
Darth Thor is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Senor Cage

I never said she can't do it or that it can't be amazing or that we should assume the worst. I said it's nothing to jump up and down about at this point given the fact that she's never directed or written a film for the Big Screen before.

I don't think she's going to write the bulk of it, though. Like I said earlier, she has a whole writing team that has been unannounced. If she was writing it by herself that might be a little iffy.

Old Post Nov 26th, 2014 11:28 PM
pym-ftw
Mizukage

Why couldn't she do it? What are your reasons?
the fact she has never directed anything longer than 20 minutes and if WW fails it probably ends plans for a continued long term cinematic universe.

I'm not Joking, Boy
Ignore list: Abhi for the sake of the forum.
53>6.6
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GCAMfDmX86o
My YouTube

Old Post Nov 27th, 2014 12:00 AM
pym-ftw is currently offline Click here to Send pym-ftw a Private Message Find more posts by pym-ftw Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Senor Cage

Originally posted by pym-ftw
the fact she has never directed anything longer than 20 minutes and if WW fails it probably ends plans for a continued long term cinematic universe.

Some have been pointing out that might be in her favor. It's more challenging directing something smaller vs something that is 110 minutes or so.

Old Post Nov 27th, 2014 12:05 AM
pym-ftw
Mizukage

Please say you have someone other than Campea's false statement. First she didn't direct entire seasons, secondly she had at best limited creative input and third she isn't even the main tv director... You can want to give her a chance, I'm not against cautious optimism but to be excited for this is baseless.

I'm not Joking, Boy
Ignore list: Abhi for the sake of the forum.
53>6.6
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GCAMfDmX86o
My YouTube

Old Post Nov 27th, 2014 02:57 AM
pym-ftw is currently offline Click here to Send pym-ftw a Private Message Find more posts by pym-ftw Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Senor Cage

Originally posted by pym-ftw
Please say you have someone other than Campea's false statement. First she didn't direct entire seasons, secondly she had at best limited creative input and third she isn't even the main tv director... You can want to give her a chance, I'm not against cautious optimism but to be excited for this is baseless.

Nah, it has been stated in books like Films for Dummies and this guys (Bollywood director) opinion as well:

http://www.digitalspy.com/bollywood...~oWMNBkw4wWwJYv

Old Post Nov 27th, 2014 03:28 AM
roughrider
Thunderer

Regardless of who's directing, I suppose the best thing is that Diana is getting her own feature film at last. Some of us were gnashing our teeth about her appearing in Batman VS. Superman as a clear indication they were going to shortchange her status, as a member of the big trinity. But, she's going to get her own moment in the sun, just like the top members of the Avengers.

So...summer 2017 is going to be very mythologically memorable, with WW in June and Thor: Ragnarok in July!

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Nov 27th, 2014 03:49 AM
roughrider is online now! Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Senor Cage

Originally posted by roughrider
Regardless of who's directing, I suppose the best thing is that Diana is getting her own feature film at last. Some of us were gnashing our teeth about her appearing in Batman VS. Superman as a clear indication they were going to shortchange her status, as a member of the big trinity. But, she's going to get her own moment in the sun, just like the top members of the Avengers.

So...summer 2017 is going to be very mythologically memorable, with WW in June and Thor: Ragnarok in July!

I wasn't. stick out tongue I told you more movies would come and they did. Like I have stated many times, ever since Kevin Tsujihara came on board, he's been all in with the DC properties.

And they're not even done, according to Neil Gaiman. Supposedly, we'll get more movies announced that are from Vertigo. And more Superman and Batman stand alone movies. Not to mention Del Toro turned in his script for Dark Universe.

Old Post Nov 27th, 2014 04:05 AM
Darth Thor

Originally posted by roughrider

thumb up

I'm really glad and relieved her Solo movie is coming before JL. Not long before (the same year) but still I'll happy about that!

Old Post Nov 27th, 2014 10:28 AM
Darth Thor is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
krisblaze

Originally posted by Firefly218
There's this thing called an opinion. Don't know if you've heard of it or not, but it's pretty common.

Sure, it's just an insane claim.

Minimal cultural impact or impact on the genre.

More or less no acclaim.

Lukewarm reception.

Weak box-office.

Needs a series to make any sense.

I'm sure that it was a great movie for the people who had been pining for a follow up to Whedon's equally lukewarm tv-series, but I don't see what makes this the greatest Sci-fi movie ever made. Nor do I see how its a testament to Joss Whedon's amazing skills as a director.

You liked the movie, and that's great, I'm not trying to deny you that joy. But I don't see how the fact that some untried writer directed a movie that suited your completely arbitrary tastes somehow means that this untried tv-writer will turn Wonder Woman into a movie that is either

a) Critically acclaimed

b) Garners a fanbase

c) Pulls off the box office

d) has any impact on the super-hero movie genre

Thanks Estacado

Old Post Nov 27th, 2014 12:14 PM
krisblaze is currently offline Click here to Send krisblaze a Private Message Find more posts by krisblaze Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Firefly218
Restricted

Account Restricted

I won't dignify a troll with comprehensive response. You're wrong on several accounts, which I'm not getting into.

"untried" writer? Look at his f uckin Filmography you twit. He was showrunner for 3 incredible TV shows and directed plenty of their episodes. Not to mention a script doctor for years, significantly contributing to movies like Toy Story, Speed and Xmen.
I'm not saying the situations are identical, as whedon was hired to direct Avengers primarily because he wrote it. I'm citing it as an example that directors/writers have made successful transitions from television to film. Therefore, it's wrong to assume maclaren can't do the same. Her BB episodes show how talented she is, which is why in mildly enthusiastic.

Last edited by Firefly218 on Nov 27th, 2014 at 03:53 PM

Old Post Nov 27th, 2014 03:50 PM
Firefly218 is currently offline Click here to Send Firefly218 a Private Message Find more posts by Firefly218 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Senor Cage

Old Post Feb 24th, 2015 11:09 PM
Darth Thor

Wonder Woman will shoot this fall!

http://www.slashfilm.com/wonder-wom...alone-shooting/

That's good because it means WB/DC are likely committed to their slate up until JL no matter how good or bad BvS and Suicide Squad perform at the box office.

Old Post Feb 24th, 2015 11:43 PM
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

who could/should Wonder Woman face in her solo film?

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Feb 24th, 2015 11:48 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

Misogyny Man.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Feb 24th, 2015 11:49 PM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote